#1 Edited by mbob (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Greetings all,

I'm 37 years old and bought my first comics this year. I started by picking a select few #1s from DC's new 52 at a local store by chance. Now I am getting them regularly: Justice League, Detective, Batman, Batman & Robin, Action, Superman, Green Lantern, and Flash. The thing is where to store all these as the accumulate. We are already tight on space in the house and my mancave homes my home theater, LPs, guitar & amps, computer desk with 3 monitors, not to mention game and movie collector editions on display. Space is crazy limited.

I am also trying to get a crash course on comics also. So I just learned of the trade paperbacks. This may be a space saving option and money saving as well from the looks of it. Do many people just wait for the trade paperbacks? How long is the wait? Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a trade reading order for Batman?

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

depends on the book, for some stories, it is just better to wait for tpb and usually, it is just up to the reader on what they want to collect in tpb vs normal comics.

as for good batman books:

Gotham After Midnight

Knightfall

Hush

Dark Knight Rises

Year One

#3 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

Trades are cool, do you have a public library near you? if so you should check out their Graphic novels selection, I've read like a thousand GN's from my library system from DC,Marvel Image, Boom and others. It has let me check out some very awesome stuff that I never would have if I had to pay for them. I read like 10 GN's a week from the library and have a list of 373 from the library that I want.

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

Plenty of people 'wait for the trade' and, considering the price of individual issues, it's nice to have the option.

#5 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a list that's just recently been compiled. http://www.comicvine.com/batman/29-1699/the-full-batman-timeline-in-chronological-order-with-mistakes/92-654156/#7

Fairly accurate order and almost everything on that list has been put in TPB form, though a few have been discontinued I think.

You do save money on TPB's but not much. Still, over time it'll add up. Money's money right? Same thing for space, you'll save a little. I have mine in a cardboard box made for holding comics. You can pick these up at almost any comic store. I put that in a foot locker which I like because it's portable and I can stack things on top of it.

Good luck! and welcome to the premier realm of geekdom.

#6 Posted by Comicbookgal (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm buying a few comics in single issues but I mainly collect in Trade since you get a complete story arc for your buck.

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

Trades are a much better bang for your buck and a lot of the time (especially with Ultimate editions) contain extra content. They're also more durable and easier to store/display.

#8 Edited by mbob (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Typically is the artwork quality the same? I mean size and resolution? Paper? I would guess trades are more paper like. I am so torn at the moment. Initially I signed up for dc home delivery. The price was great at about $200 for 10 different year subs but I was drastically disappointed in how they ship. I convinced myself at order it didnt matter but seeing my precious bent and creased does bug me. I contacted DC and they said I can cancel anytime. Then today I was in the local store again and they offer 10% off multi preorders. Thats not much. Oh but now since they are so nice I have to bag and board them so add that on:) Bottom line is I probably should take a long look at switching to trades before I get too invested here. So far it sounds like pros are: Durability, display, story flow, and cost. Negatives: waiting for release, less socializing and family time at the store, and any others? Thanks for the Batman list also! (edit - sorry no paragraph formatting. iPad editor here has issue)

#9 Posted by KomicKev (88 posts) - - Show Bio

I collected comics for years (like, 20 or more) and bagged, boarded and boxed each and every one. Then I got older. And the comics multiplied like rabbits. And I started to move from time to time. Sometimes I had limited storage space. About 9 years ago, I moved to China. Sold what I could on ebay, and gave the rest to a friend of mine's sons. But I still bought comics and stored them in a relatives home (they have a huge home), but eventually I had to wean myself off of individual issues (still living in China). Now I buy TPB and can usually find them at a discounted rate at online comic dealers (currently go through mailordercomics.com - - sometimes they have new offerings at 50% off cover). I'll have them sent to my relative's home, go home in the summers and engorge myself on what I've ordered throughout the year (I'm a teacher so, summers free). I also get some comics on my Kindle Fire but, eh, not so much into ecomics yet. Maybe I need to get an iPad one day and enjoy them in a bigger mode. So, buying monthly comics is fun and instantly gratifying but since you are just getting started, you have YEARS of back stories to get caught up on. Search for cheapo copies of TPB on ebay or discount bins or clearance shelves at Barnes and Noble (or wherever). And, if you really want the monthly stuff, maybe limit yourself to something like the 4 or 5 titles you really, REALLY like and then TPB everything else.

#10 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

Another option is digital. :)

no space required whatsoever. Comixology has sales all the time too.

#11 Edited by mbob (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the great responses. Trades it is! I am going keep one or two monthly's tops (Batman, JL or Detective) and will buy them at the local CB store. My kids enjoy going to the store too much to stop. My trade collection started yesterday by buying the last Flashpoint that changes the DCU and Batman Year One. I also preordered all the New 52 hardcovers I want from Amazon. It is pretty amazing to get them cheaper than the monthly releases added together and in hardcover.

Oh and digital does have a future with me also on my ipad. Though my opinion is anything over .99c per is too much. I prefer print.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (57944 posts) - - Show Bio

Trades definitely. Sure there's a wait but they're cheaper and have the same content; the covers are "virgin" (no bar codes, dates etc) and you don't get ads.
BB

#13 Posted by Bobphantom (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually wait for trades on mini series or if there's a particular story arc for a book that I don't regularly buy, but I hear a lot of buzz about. For a noob, trades are a great way to catch up on books you need a crash course on, but (for me at least) i like to buy monthly to keep up on my favorite characters

#14 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Plenty of people 'wait for the trade' and, considering the price of individual issues, it's nice to have the option.

Agreed.

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually wait until the trades come out because I can get the whole story in one volume without having to worry about going to the comic book store every month just to find out what happened in a story arc that either DC or Marvel has.

#16 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@mbob: For DC get anything with Alan Moore. More specific:

Best JLA comics: Grant Morrison run

Best Batman: The Killing Joke, Dark Knight returns, Knightfall and more.

Best Superman: Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, John Byrne's Man Of Steel and a lot more

#17 Posted by humanfly26 (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

@mbob:

my personal preference is trades, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

If you're trying to keep up to date on current events in comics, waiting for trades can be a pain sometimes. For most of the popular comics or major events, they release it in Hardcover first. Hardcover is usually about ten dollars more expensive than softcover. It's not really worth it and I try to stay away from them, but then you have to wait a year for them to release it in softcover. By this time the storyline or event has long since passed and you've probably seen a bunch of spoilers that will ruin any surprises for you. Also, with single issues you have more flexibility. If you read the first issue of a comic and you don't like it, you don't have to buy the next one. If you read a trade and don't like it, now you've just spent $10-$15 more and are stuck with a whole book you don't like.

If you don't really care about keeping up with current events and you just want to read good comics, then trades are definitely the way to go. There's something more satisfying about having a bookshelf full of trades that you can easily look at and pick something out then having a bunch of boxes of single issues that are all bagged and perfectly preserved. It feels more like a library than a museum, if that makes sense.... Lots of folks on the thread have given pros and cons, so I'll just leave it at that.

@Onemoreposter said:

Here's a list that's just recently been compiled. http://www.comicvine.com/batman/29-1699/the-full-batman-timeline-in-chronological-order-with-mistakes/92-654156/#7

Pretty awesome list. If you want to save your wallet and only buy some of these, these are the ones that would be good to start with:

• Year One
  • The Long Halloween
  • The Killing Joke
  • Death in the Family
  • Knightfall 1-3
  • Contagion
  • Cataclysm
  • No Man's Land 1-5
  • Hush 1-2
#18 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Trades definitely. Sure there's a wait but they're cheaper and have the same content; the covers are "virgin" (no bar codes, dates etc) and you don't get ads.
BB

This! 

I do buy comics that but i'd much sooner buy trades if they were released a lot sooner after the issues
#19 Posted by EugeneSaxe (227 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're just into the reading part, buy trades or used comics.

If you're collecting, you're wasting your time. Books coming out now won't be valuable for I dare say 100 years or more, if then; more people are preserving their books now than they did back in Action #1 days.

#20 Posted by morganax (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I am super glad to have found this thread. even though it is an old thread, I hope someone sees it and can help a gal out!

So far, this thread has been very informative, but I do have some questions.

Alittle background on me...started reading comics in summer of 09' with the whole Batman Reborn storylines, and have been going strong ever since. I mostly pull DC comics, with a few DH throw in (mainly Star Wars titles). I have read numerous of the older collected trades as well, by way of library or purchasing. I am finding that I rather enjoy the look/aspect of having the collected trades vs the single issues and I am interested in starting doing the collected trade route. I currently get 17 monthly titles and figure now is a good time to try the switch.....ok, now on to my questions....

1. How many months does it "normally" take between collected trade volumes? say for example, the new 52 Green Arrow title, the first volume was released in May/or so, and now the second volume is scheduled for early 2013....is that "normal" turnaround time?

2. And do a good majority of single issue titles get put into trades?

I seriously don't mind the wait BUT I am concerned about waiting and then my titles aren't collected and I miss out....well, thanks to anyone who can shred some expertise on this!

#21 Posted by BatWatch (2610 posts) - - Show Bio

You can never be sure which issues will come out in trade. The more popular the story line, the likelier it will be collected.

I just store all my comics in comic boxes. You can get these simple cardboard boxes at any comic shop. They are the width and depth of a comic, and they range in size from a foot to about three feet long. I have three three footers stacked in my closet. It only takes up about nine cubic feet of space. When I want to read something, I unstack and pull what I want. It's actually quite simple and effective.

#22 Posted by BatWatch (2610 posts) - - Show Bio

@morganax said:

I am super glad to have found this thread. even though it is an old thread, I hope someone sees it and can help a gal out!

So far, this thread has been very informative, but I do have some questions.

Alittle background on me...started reading comics in summer of 09' with the whole Batman Reborn storylines, and have been going strong ever since. I mostly pull DC comics, with a few DH throw in (mainly Star Wars titles). I have read numerous of the older collected trades as well, by way of library or purchasing. I am finding that I rather enjoy the look/aspect of having the collected trades vs the single issues and I am interested in starting doing the collected trade route. I currently get 17 monthly titles and figure now is a good time to try the switch.....ok, now on to my questions....

1. How many months does it "normally" take between collected trade volumes? say for example, the new 52 Green Arrow title, the first volume was released in May/or so, and now the second volume is scheduled for early 2013....is that "normal" turnaround time?

2. And do a good majority of single issue titles get put into trades?

I seriously don't mind the wait BUT I am concerned about waiting and then my titles aren't collected and I miss out....well, thanks to anyone who can shred some expertise on this!

1. They usually come out a couple months after the final issue of the collected series. That means you usually have about an eight month wait between the time the first comic in the story line comes out and the time the trade comes out.

2. If I am understanding your question correctly, you are asking if a one-shot story, a story that is complete in one single issue, is usually collected, and the answer is no. It could be bound with a larger story arc of the same character or series, but there is no guarantee of that.

If you do not want to wait for a trade, you could always go someplace like Books a Million and read titles as they come out. I used to do that a lot, and I still would if I have free time. BAM doesn't mind. You could then buy the trade if/when they come out.

#23 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4235 posts) - - Show Bio

I buy comics of ongoing series I read, but if it's a mini-series or event I'll just wait for the trade.

#24 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I enjoy getting comic books. I like collecting the covers and reading them month after month. I get trades of the books I'll never get my hands on.

Its all personal preference though.

#25 Posted by kamakazi152 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

I have 6 monthly books I really like and I like to find the TPB to everything else. And you asked about storage, I keep mine in empty paper boxes from work and store them under my bed/next to my desk and the TPB in my bookshelf.

#26 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure a lot of people wait on trades to come out.

#27 Posted by mikeadams78 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok here's an old post that needs correcting. One cool fact about comics they sometimes go up in value. Uncanny x-men 350 I got new for $4 is now worth $25 for example. A larger example is Amazing Fantasy #15 worth almost $200,000 today. Death of superman spanned almost 18 issues across several different books and was a pain to round up. They released the TPB problem solved right? No fans who saw the plummeting price of superman #75 ran to cash in the TPB only to be offered less than the cover price! The actual individual issues were worth a great deal more however. TPB are for reading not collecting and don't usually go up in value at all. The single issues kept in good shape have the opportunity to go up in value over a great deal of time.

#28 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

Plus they're more convenient to order online.

#29 Posted by Billy Batson (57944 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

BB

Plus they're more convenient to order online.

You can order issues online too.

BB

#30 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: Yeah, but it's less convenient. At least for me...