Comics that need a Re-Boot

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gordyman

What are some comics that need re-boots? In my opinion, the X-Men need a re-boot because they've become such a confusing and convoluted mess that I couldn't even begin to understand.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Static Shock

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I'm not saying it needs a reboot. But I have a pretty good feeling they are going to reboot (or at least some of) Spiderman when Marvel finally gets around to bringing Peter back.

And @gordyman I agree about X-men!

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: I don't necessarily hate the X-Men, I just think that they need a re-boot; it's just so confusing to me and for anyone who wants to get into it. Spider-Man needs a re-boot as well.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@gordyman said:

@waezi2: I don't necessarily hate the X-Men, I just think that they need a re-boot; it's just so confusing to me and for anyone who wants to get into it. Spider-Man needs a re-boot as well.

Why does Spider-Man need a reboot when they already did One More Day?

Anyway I'm going to vote nothing. I don't believe in reboots and dont think they ever go well

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Reboots suck.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

There shouldn't be any reboots. DC rebooted and other than a few books (none of which needed a reboot to be done), it sucked.

If anything was going to be rebooted, I'd say the X-Men. I tried to get back into them, but it was just too confusing for me. But again, I don't think there should be any reboots.

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gordyman

@peppeyhare: I take that back, he doesn't need one; since the whole Superior Spider-Man thing is going on.

Of course re-boots are going to make people who've read the comics for a long time and understand what is going on mad, but they are necessary in order to provide new continuity.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion the Fantastic Four

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordyman said:

@peppeyhare: I take that back, he doesn't need one; since the whole Superior Spider-Man thing is going on.

Of course re-boots are going to make people who've read the comics for a long time and understand what is going on mad, but they are necessary in order to provide new continuity.

No they aren't really. Marvel has done a perfectly good job of making comics accessible without ruining it for old fans with Marvel Now. Some books require you to wiki basic things but that's not bad. The new 52 requires you to do the same for most titles

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordyman said:

No they aren't really. Marvel has done a perfectly good job of making comics accessible without ruining it for old fans with Marvel Now. Some books require you to wiki basic things but that's not bad. The new 52 requires you to do the same for most titles

the whole "it's so hard to get into comics because of continuity" thing is so annoying....you know how I got into comics back when I was a kid? I started reading comics...that's it....there was no Comic Vine or Wikipedia for me to look things up or ask people about what was going on...they didn't make trades for every single book back then either

new readers need to stop being lazy and trying to ruin the books for us long term readers

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

@danhimself said:

@peppeyhare said:

@gordyman said:

the whole "it's so hard to get into comics because of continuity" thing is so annoying....you know how I got into comics back when I was a kid? I started reading comics...that's it....there was no Comic Vine or Wikipedia for me to look things up or ask people about what was going on...they didn't make trades for every single book back then either

new readers need to stop being lazy and trying to ruin the books for us long term readers

That's silly. No "lazy" new reader forced DC to reboot the universe. As a company, they made that decision to try and make more money.

And being relatively new to DC, I was fine with starting just by reading, but looking up stuff to understand references gets annoying.

it was one of their biggest reasons...they said that they were doing the reboot to help new readers who were confused by continuity

be lucky that you have the ability to look up things....I started reading in the late 80's and we didn't have the internet back then to look things up...you just started reading hoping that somewhere in the story they would explain the things that you were confused about or find the back issues

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

@danhimself said:

@mitran said:

@danhimself said:

@peppeyhare said:

@gordyman said:

That's silly. No "lazy" new reader forced DC to reboot the universe. As a company, they made that decision to try and make more money.

And being relatively new to DC, I was fine with starting just by reading, but looking up stuff to understand references gets annoying.

it was one of their biggest reasons...they said that they were doing the reboot to help new readers who were confused by continuity

be lucky that you have the ability to look up things....I started reading in the late 80's and we didn't have the internet back then to look things up...you just started reading hoping that somewhere in the story they would explain the things that you were confused about or find the back issues

It was a reason put forth by DC, but it's not as if new readers set out with the goal of a reboot in order to ruin comics for older readers. Nobody was saying "reboot or else!" They simply weren't buying. That's all I had a problem with in your post.

I do appreciate the Internet. One of the perks of getting into comics now.

it was a direct result of them complaining about the continuity...it's their fault...if they would have just sucked it up and started reading then sales would be...I'd estimate probably close to 1.25 times what they are today...think how many people dropped all of DC because of the reboot and all the people who started reading with the reboot...if they had both of them then sales would be even better

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

completely agree on X-MEN

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gordyman

@peppeyhare: You could look stuff up but I'd rather pick up a comic, read it, and understand everything that is going on immediately just by the basic knowledge I have of the characters through TV, movies, etc. With the X-Men, however, you have all these different characters with different backstories, and all these different events that all get intertwined and it has become one huge clusterfuck.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

I personally wouldn't want anything rebooted, since I loved all of the old history of some of these comic books, like the X-Men. But, the X-Men is getting a bit cluttered at the moment.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordyman said:

@peppeyhare: With the X-Men, however, you have all these different characters with different backstories, and all these different events that all get intertwined and it has become one huge clusterfuck.

That's kind of why people enjoy comics. You're making it seem way harder than it actually is

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: How can you enjoy it if you don't understand what's going on?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebooting X-Men would be one of the worst things to do. There's so much history and so many characters in the X-Universe that would be lost and it would just piss off most of the fans.

Reboots suck.

There shouldn't be any reboots. DC rebooted and other than a few books (none of which needed a reboot to be done), it sucked.

These. SAY NO TO REBOOTS!

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordyman said:

@peppeyhare: How can you enjoy it if you don't understand what's going on?

I do understand what's going on. I'm saying that people enjoy Marvel and DC because they're living universes with rich history and characters. It's your job to take the extra effort and look up stuff if you wish. Comics aren't like other forms of media

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: I was talking about myself. How am I supposed to read it if I don't understand what's going on?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC Universe Presents. It had the capability to be absolutely ANYTHING using absolutely ANY level of talent, but instead it got cancelled.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself
Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@gordyman said:

To be honest I really think everything in Peter's life is going to get screwed up thanks to Doc Ock and when the real peter comes back he has to do everything all over again pretty much. Thats cool with me though.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nova... Take out Sam and bring back Rich. Annoys me so much that Thanos and Peter are alive and kicking and they couldn't do anything with Rich.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like reboots. I started reading Amazing Spiderman in the mid 200's it wasn't confusing, with more reading I got all the background info I needed. If the writers write themselves into a hole, they can write themselves out of it.

I hate there is an Avengers volume 5!!! It is one thing if a book like Silver Surfer gets cancelled, and a couple of years later they want to try and revive it, but a book like Avengers starts back at one because of silly reboots.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nova... Take out Sam and bring back Rich. Annoys me so much that Thanos and Peter are alive and kicking and they couldn't do anything with Rich.

Agreed, get the Sam outta here! There is enough teenager heroes out there we don't need them anymore, teens usually prefer the cartoons anyway!

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordyman said:

@peppeyhare: I was talking about myself. How am I supposed to read it if I don't understand what's going on?

You have the internet. You can literally find any piece of info you need