Comics. Realistic or Fantasy?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

as a comic reader would you rather have your comics be more realistic or more fantasy? for instance lets use batman as an example. he is supposed to be human yet he is, by real world standards, a super hero. so i ask would you read a comic where human characters are truly human? not trying to bait any bat fans im just asking for my own reasons

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

A mix of both

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Irrelevant as long as the story as good.

I don't need things to be quantifiable in real world logic. As long as the universe sets up its own logic and follows it, its more than good enough.

I don't even care if things are illogical at times, as long as the story is engaging.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anybody else?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't need things to be quantifiable in real world logic. As long as the universe sets up its own logic and follows it, its more than good enough.

I don't even care if things are illogical at times, as long as the story is engaging.

pretty much this

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mix of both

Having a super realistic story can be boring, just like having too much fantasy can be boring and uninteresting (at least for me).

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

It doesn't matter, as long as the story is good. I don't prefer one over the other

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I second this sentiment. It depends on the purpose of the reader in choosing a particular story as well. Some are intended to be fantastical and waaaaay out there form the real world. Sometimes readers want that as a means to escape the dreary nature of the real world. Such a time will mean a reader won't want something too realistic. Other times they may want to feel their world and lives are being reflected at which times they want care for the fantasy stuff, and instead will go for things that feel much more grounded in reality.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SOG7dc
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@norrinboltagonprime21:

Ok let me ask you this. What do you expect in terms of either fantasy or reality when you pick up a book about each of the following characters:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

A mix of both. They unrealistic characters which unrealistic powers/skills with normal people problems.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

personnally i only care about these two things as far as comics go:

1. the character is cool

2. the story is engaging.

i guess I'm asking is it cool for a character to know EVERY martial art and is it cool for a character to be unkillable and is it cool for a character to do physically impossible things

whether or not my story is engaging is on me but idk if people are just tired of these alpha-males

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@wishiwassuperman: @batmannflash: @thatguywithheadphones: @fallschirmjager: @norrinboltagonprime21:

Ok let me ask you this. What do you expect in terms of either fantasy or reality when you pick up a book about each of the following characters:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

Well my exposure to some of these is limited (Iron Fist - only know him from cartoons) or non existent (bloodshot & Karate Kid) so I can't comment on all of them - but generally I guess I'm reading them for a story that is still pretty unrealistic. They're all capable of things no normal human is capable (at least to my knowledge), they're just not these global and cosmic powerhouses that Superman and the like are - means their threats are lower level, more cerebral etc...I'm also looking at a darker, grittier tone (this does NOT automatically equal more realistic and I hate the misconception that it does). Overall I'm looking at a character or characters that are facing challenges appropriate to their strength and power (as in not the type of thing Superman deals with), but are still about as far from reality as you can get - but they're interesting for their own reasons. Batman for example appeals to me because of his contrast to Superman. Nightwing appeals to me for example because of his relationship with Batman, his history AND the fact that his personality is so unlike Batmans. Wolverine appeals to my "this guy is a bada@ss" side and it's awesome to watch him rip through legions of bad guys and tank stuff that by rights should kill him because of his healing factor. I'm not an avid reader of Wolverine - but every now and then I'll pick something up - the character development for me personally with his character has never grabbed me.

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@norrinboltagonprime21:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

A mix of both. They unrealistic characters which unrealistic powers/skills with normal people problems.

I think I know what you're saying but what real people problems does Bruce Wayne have exactly? The fact he's an orphan? It's not exactly the most common thing in the world, and most orphans don't end up like him. That's just one example but just thinking about what I know of the other characters - I don't see a whole lot of real people problems. The one character that's always stood out to me for that is Spider-rman

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@sog7dc said:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

I can't speak for Bloodshot, Iron Fist, or Karate Kid, but I can talk about the others:

Wolverine. For all of these, I prefer a mix. But if you wanted me to choose one, I'm towards fantasy. I wanna see Wolverine be a badass and heal through everything.

Batman. And I don't want him to be superhuman in terms of physicality and I want realistic villains/gadgets/physical feats but I want him to be more on the fantasy side but still realistic when it comes to intelligence feats. I want to be wow-ed by his amazing prep skills (see Grant Morrison Bat-God)

Daredevil. Realistic

Nightwing. Realistic like Batman, except without such crazy intelligence/prep feats

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

personnally i only care about these two things as far as comics go:

1. the character is cool

2. the story is engaging.

i guess I'm asking is it cool for a character to know EVERY martial art and is it cool for a character to be unkillable and is it cool for a character to do physically impossible things

whether or not my story is engaging is on me but idk if people are just tired of these alpha-males

Oh ok - different thing to what I was getting at maybe. I think it's fine if THAT is the premise you set for the character and the universe they exist within. If you break that because it's convenient that's when you start to lose people (this is why people get annoyed at inconsistent feats for characters or how Batman is batgod among the JL, but struggles with villains like Penguin in his solo titles). So if you set the characters world as uber-realistic, then you have to treat it that way throughout and not chop and change as suits.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Wolverine008

@sog7dc said:

@wishiwassuperman: @batmannflash: @thatguywithheadphones: @fallschirmjager: @norrinboltagonprime21:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

For the ones I know here.

Wolverine- A mix of both works well for him. Having his HF be powerful, yet see him deal with human problems (His emotional trauma throughout his long life) is awesome to see.

Batman- Unrealistic. The character is supposed to be a grandiose representation of the perfect man. His stories tend to break the bounds of realism to do that.Daredevil- Realistic. Daredevil's best stories have come from gritty, noir filled realistic settings.i

Iron Fist. Very unrealistic. The concept of Chi and the Iron Fist mantle really have no place in realism.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

Well my exposure to some of these is limited (Iron Fist - only know him from cartoons) or non existent (bloodshot & Karate Kid) so I can't comment on all of them - but generally I guess I'm reading them for a story that is still pretty unrealistic. They're all capable of things no normal human is capable (at least to my knowledge), they're just not these global and cosmic powerhouses that Superman and the like are - means their threats are lower level, more cerebral etc...I'm also looking at a darker, grittier tone (this does NOT automatically equal more realistic and I hate the misconception that it does). Overall I'm looking at a character or characters that are facing challenges appropriate to their strength and power (as in not the type of thing Superman deals with), but are still about as far from reality as you can get - but they're interesting for their own reasons. Batman for example appeals to me because of his contrast to Superman. Nightwing appeals to me for example because of his relationship with Batman, his history AND the fact that his personality is so unlike Batmans. Wolverine appeals to my "this guy is a bada@ss" side and it's awesome to watch him rip through legions of bad guys and tank stuff that by rights should kill him because of his healing factor. I'm not an avid reader of Wolverine - but every now and then I'll pick something up - the character development for me personally with his character has never grabbed me.

Hey bub, Logan's got a message for you:

Loading Video...

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This.

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman said:

@sog7dc said:

Wolverine

bloodshot

batman

Iron fist

Daredevil

Karate kid

nightwing

Hey bub, Logan's got a message for you:

Loading Video...

Anyone else I'd be offended.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you all for all of the responses. you have helped in my decision making :)

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

pretty much this

Mostly this, plus no magic goofiness, and headshots kill memory cells no matter how much you can heal

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Pokeysteve

Depends on the character.

I want my Punisher to be realistic and use tactics and military weaponry to kill bad guys.

I want my Superman and Wonder Woman to lift things no one else can and be so fast that it blows my mind.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By PapiNacho

In comics fantasy, I want hero's that are larger than life people to root for. Popcorny comics that can entertain me with big stories are my favorite. Pretty sure I already stated this but I prefer Justice League level Bats. On the other hand if it is well written I don't mind "realistic" "gritty" stories.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

This pretty much.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers