bass_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bass_hero

Hey Guys

Thanks to University I don't have a lot of money to spend on comics, depsite my new love for them thanks to the New 52

Up until now I've mostly been on the DC side of things but I'm looking to dabble a bit more in the Marvel books. I picked up Hawkeye last month and it was brilliant.

I think I'm going to try and stick to 8 comics a month spanning both Marvel and DC. I've tried to start narrowing it down my self but there's so many Avengers/X books in the Marvel side of things that its hard to just pick one line.

Thanks for any help.

BH

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By kingjoeg

DC:

Batman

Animal Man

Swamp Thing

Justice League

Marvel:

Amazing Spider-man

Hawkeye

Scarlet Spider

Secret Avengers

Also with the marvel now coming soon I would probably swamp one of those marvel titles for Hickmans Avengers.

fojtikbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3  Edited By fojtikbt

DC has some really great books like Green Lantern, Justice League, Batman, The Flash and Aquaman. Marvel has some good ones too like The Amazing Spider-Man, Invincible Iron Man, and Fantastic Four. If you want to read about the recent conflict between the X-Men and the Avengers, I would pick up Avengers vs. X-Men. I haven't read any other tie ins to it, and I understand whats going on perfectly. One problem with AvX is that now most of their Avengers and X-Men books are tie ins and not self-contained stories, which sucks if you ask me. If I were you I would also look into digital comics. They're a great way to read back issues, and they're also pretty cheap.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#4  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I also buy 7-8 comics a month. some Dc and Some marvel and WALKING DEAD.

Animal man, Batman, Justice League, Hawkeye, Punisher, and AvsX. When Punisher and AvsX ends. Gonna replace them with A XMEN book.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Lvenger

7-8 comics is the number I read each month what with school work and other social activities. I feel it's just the right amount. Anyway Action Comics, Batman, Aquaman and Animal Man (though I don't read the last two) are among the critically acclaimed of the New 52. I also read Justice League and Green Lantern. GL is definitely brilliant but Justice League is harder to argue. It's still enjoyable and the centre of the DC Universe but the writing's off sometimes.

Hawkeye is a good pick on the Marvel side. Amazing Spider-Man or Scarlet Spider are two more good Marvel books. And when Hickman starts the Avengers, that would be a great book to pick up.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By coolguyr99

DC

Green Lantern

Justice League

Action Comics

Batman

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a very limited comic budget 5 to 10 gooks a month. Many of you look like you pull more than that every week but if you are like me how do you decide? For me if a book grabs my attention I buy it try it if I enjoy I try another issue but I have to love a book to pull it monthly any suggestions/

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@gregroyj42 said:

I have a very limited comic budget 5 to 10 gooks a month. Many of you look like you pull more than that every week but if you are like me how do you decide? For me if a book grabs my attention I buy it try it if I enjoy I try another issue but I have to love a book to pull it monthly any suggestions/

Currently - my top 5:

• Green Arrow (DC)
  • Invincible (Image)
  • Saga (Image)
  • Aquaman (DC)
  • Unity (Valiant)

Next 5:

• X-O Manowar (Valiant)
  • Harbinger (Valiant)
  • Velvet (Image)
  • Black Widow (Marvel)
  • Sex Criminals (Image)

Honorable mentions:

• Thor: God of Thunder (Marvel)
  • Hawkeye (Marvel)
  • Black Science (Image)
  • Animal Man (DC)
  • Swamp Thing (DC)

Gotta say though, its pretty tough. I'm pulling like 30+ books and enjoying most of them extremely much. I just dropped ANXM cos I was getting bored (and I have no desire to read a GotG crossover) and I might drop TWD because I'm also getting bored. But otherwise I like all of them (except SSM, which I'm only reading because its ending soon and Peter is coming back)

Pretty tough to narrow it down to so few.

But Image and Valiant are really dominating if you ask me. Go with them if you are only able to read a few titles.

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reading Saga and Mind the Gap never read any Valiant where would be a good place to start?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I'm reading Saga and Mind the Gap never read any Valiant where would be a good place to start?

Unity is new and easy to catch up. It sort of includes characters from all the different titles.

I'd recommend reading X-O Manowar though before it if you have the money. It makes it much better. X-O Manowar is a great title by itself.

Harbinger is also amazing imo and ties in with Unity heavily.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JediXMan  Moderator

If you're on a budget, try reading TPBs from local libraries. It's a free alternative to buying comics.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tpbs are a good money saving option.

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another good way is to find a comic store that offers a pull box discount. I get 25% off on all the titles i ask to be held for me in advance at my LCS.

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for all the ideas I do have a pull list with my lcs with a 10 % discount and I read as much as I can from the libraries but the selection is very poor and mainly limited to DC and Marvel. That is where I started Saga and it was so good I purchased the first two trades and am now buying monthly

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We also have a used book store which quality isn't always the best but I picked the first two Invincible trades up for $6 a piece.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My advice for a limited budget, steer clear of all team books. If not, then plan on having to buy the inevitable event books and possibly other crossover tie-ins if you want the full story. I'm not on a very limited budget, I read about 20 books a month, and this is still the best comic book buying decision I've made.

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: Good point never even thought of how much money I put into crossovers when I am enjoying the book I am reading. For example Batman has been one I've been reading I've gotten some of the crossover stuff but none of the zero year tie in issues and I feel completely lost

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gregroyj42

I'm reading allnew xfactor, amazing xmen, batman, earth2, green arrow, mind the gap, saga also trillium and forever evil. any suggestions on great books

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Earth 2

Green Arrow

Eternal Warrior

Smallville Season 11

Unity

Bloodshot and Hard Corps.

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

DC:

Flash

Green Lantern New Guardians

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Justice League

Superman/Wonder Woman

Earth 2

Marvel:

Nova

All New X-Mem

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

You're spending over 40 dollars a month on comics, and yet you insist you don't have much money to spend on them? What the hell, dude?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

You could get a volume instead a only one issue.