Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

OK, I love comics but my girlfriend hates them. I have as good of a chance of her picking up a copy of the Silver Surfer as she does of getting me to watch the Hills.

Are there comics out there that are written for women? Something with drama and all that stuff girls like or do I have to wait for them to make a Real Housewives of Orange County comic?

(Not being sexist, I understand lots of girls like comics, just not mine)

Please give any suggestions you might have. Thanks.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Wonder Woman

New Mutants

Oracle

Young X-Men

Black Panther

(I wouldnt say these are written for woman per say, but all have elements that could appeal to their interests)

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Martian

Marvel Divas when that comes out.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By pixelized
Nobody said:
"Marvel Divas when that comes out."
you may want to wait to read that before suggesting it. 

Surely some team book would have someone that appeals to her.... and if she hates comics there just may be no changing her mind.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

My girlfriend hates comics but loved Y: The Last Man and liked Fables

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By iLLituracy

Runaways.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Zoom
iLLituracy said:
"Runaways."
I know several girls that really really enjoyed the original Runaways.
I wouldn't reeeeally recommend the current run.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty

There's a comic for everyone, they just don't know it yet.

Think about what her tastes are, and think about the kind of comics that different publishers put out.  I know a girl who likes Umbrella Academy, while another likes Tarot.  Each to their own... You know her better than a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet.  You need to think about what she likes and work around that.
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9  Edited By The_Martian
pixelized said:
"Nobody said:
"
I'm just basing that off of the description they gave us. Said it was going to deal with a team of female superheroes who have to deal with being in a "Man's" world.
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pixelized
Nobody said:
"pixelized said:
"Nobody said:
"
I'm just basing that off of the description they gave us. Said it was going to deal with a team of female superheroes who have to deal with being in a "Man's" world."
but it could be delivered so poorly that in addition to hating comics, they break up! [=
Nano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nano

Runaways.Marvel
Youg Avenger.Marvel
Power Pack.Marvel
Gemini.Top Cow
Pride and Predujice(spelt wrong sorry, Spell check is buggered)
there is loads to be honest

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
xerox-kitty said:
"There's a comic for everyone, they just don't know it yet.

Think about what her tastes are, and think about the kind of comics that different publishers put out.  I know a girl who likes Umbrella Academy, while another likes Tarot.  Each to their own... You know her better than a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet.  You need to think about what she likes and work around that.
"
I know her tastes I just don't know every comic out there. Based on her TV habits she like reality TV which means drama. Mostly she likes one character and hates the rest and that's what makes it interesting to her.
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pixelized

Emma Frost!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

Then perhaps something like Death: The High Cost of LivingDeath: The Time of Your Life?  They're both only 3 issues long, they've both been collected into trade paperbacks, and they both focus on Death, but have lots of characterisation & interaction with other characters.  The art isn't typical super heroes, the story is slowly dramatic as people's lives are effected in different ways by Death.

Also, I agree with iLLituracy's suggestion of Runaways.  You can get the digest versions which are a little cheaper than regular trade paperbacks, and all 7 volumes collect dozens and dozens of issues without any loss to the quality of the artwork.  The kids in the stories are strong, but flawed... behaving realistically.  They also don't wear any spandex superhero outfits, there's an actual sense of fashion and how regular clothes reflect the personalities of each character.  There's also a big assortment of strong female characters so she might find one that she can empathise with.
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Calvin
xerox-kitty said:
"There's a comic for everyone, they just don't know it yet."
jloneblackheart, tell us what kind of characters she usually apreciates in Tv and books, and then maybe we could tell you about some cool comic characters she would maybe like.
Also how does she feels about the "classic" superheroes that everybody have heard about? Does she likes science fiction at all, TV or Movies?

I think there was this website for comic girls. Maybe you could take a look around. http://girl-wonder.org/index.php
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

TV- The Hills, Real Housewives, Real World, Sex and the City, My Boys, Food Network anything

I don't think she is too interested in any classic superhero type but you never know. I always try to get her to watch DCAU with me but it hasn't happened yet. She doesn't like science fiction but I have got her to watch Star Trek a few times with me but I don't think she was paying attention.

She reads books every so often but never finishes them. That's why I suggested comics to her, they take 10 minutes to read.

I'm trying to help her with her imagination. Anything I end up getting her I'm sure I will read so nothing will be a waste.

So far a lot of people have said Runaways which I might try, I'm sure I should read it anyway.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Supreme Marvel
Madame Xanadu

Batgirl

Birds of Prey

Brain K Vaughan's Runaways indeed
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Calvin
jloneblackheart said:
"TV- The Hills, Real Housewives, Real World, Sex and the City, My Boys, Food Network anythingI don't think she is too interested in any classic superhero type but you never know. I always try to get her to watch DCAU with me but it hasn't happened yet. She doesn't like science fiction but I have got her to watch Star Trek a few times with me but I don't think she was paying attention. She reads books every so often but never finishes them. That's why I suggested comics to her, they take 10 minutes to read.I'm trying to help her with her imagination. Anything I end up getting her I'm sure I will read so nothing will be a waste. So far a lot of people have said Runaways which I might try, I'm sure I should read it anyway."
Then would not like any of my reading. Well... maybe Calvin&Hobbes.

You know there are other cool ways to express one's imagination, I suppose the six billions of people couldn't all like the same stuff.
Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Try Powers, All the Neil Gaiman stuff, Constantine, maybe Transmetropolitan. They've sorted out a Neverwhere comics, though I recommend Highly the Book version. The invisible are very old and very weird, but I loved it and of course, the watchmen !

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By MrDirector786

Like someone else said, it's in their taste. Some girls don't like comics, some like a few but aren't really into them, and some could even be into them more than guys (which would be awesome).

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks a lot.