#1 Edited by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering there are a vast amount of threads asking for recommendations involving comics for certain ages, I thought a glossary would be helpful. So give your own recommendations for the following age brackets.

7-10

10-13

13-15

15-18

18+

Mods, feel free to edit as needed (and sticky. Sticky would be nice).

I should stress that a fair amount of discussion should take place before it becomes "official" and added to the list.

Moderator
#2 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have done the ages differently and merged the first three together. But a good idea.

My 2 cents:

7-10

  • Tiny Titans
  • Superman Adventures Family (Not correct title, but whatevs)
  • Archie

13-15

  • Most comics that come out fall into this category. They're acceptable for most ages, even if they may not appreciate it fully.
  • WATX
  • X-Men Legacy
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League

15-18

  • More mature comics, that generally incorporate politics, or blood, or stories that incorporate something more complicated for pre-Teens to understand.
  • Iron Man?
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • X-Factor
  • Batman

18+

  • I think 15 year olds can read whatever, personally. Worked for me, but still, as per OP:
  • X-Force/Uncanny X-Force
  • Punisher (MAX, or anything MAX for that matter)
  • Alias (which is MAX IIRC, but still)

Will edit.

#3 Posted by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

I rather agree with the list. Though Uncanny might fall into 15-18 (since Marvel's system specifies it as 15+, which is what Parental Advisory means for them).

Personally, I'd say that 18+ is Vertigo, MAX, Wanted, etc.

Moderator
#4 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

You just want your own sticky thread, admit it :P

#5 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, everybody knows that teenagers already read Avatar Press, Dynamite, Icon, Max, Vertigo and Wildstorm.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@ReVamp:

I rather agree with the list. Though Uncanny might fall into 15-18 (since Marvel's system specifies it as 15+, which is what Parental Advisory means for them).

Personally, I'd say that 18+ is Vertigo, MAX, Wanted, etc.

I put Uncanny in 15-18. You may be confusing, because I skipped an age group :/. Just don't know what to put there.

I'd agree in theory, in actual practice... eh. But its irrelevant.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

Please, everybody knows that teenagers already read Avatar Press, Dynamite, Icon, Max, Vertigo and Wildstorm.

They do, yes, we all know this. But I'm doing it more as a rating scale sort of thing. And again, it depends on the person.

@ReVamp said:

I'd have done the ages differently and merged the first three together. But a good idea.

I'm partially going by Marvel's rating system a little.

Moderator
#8 Edited by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@JediXMan said:

@ReVamp:

I rather agree with the list. Though Uncanny might fall into 15-18 (since Marvel's system specifies it as 15+, which is what Parental Advisory means for them).

Personally, I'd say that 18+ is Vertigo, MAX, Wanted, etc.

I put Uncanny in 15-18. You may be confusing, because I skipped an age group :/. Just don't know what to put there.

I'd agree in theory, in actual practice... eh. But its irrelevant.

My bad. Missed that.

EDIT: Wait, sorry. Should have specified that I meant Uncanny X-Force, not X-Men;

Moderator
#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92759 posts) - - Show Bio

Pinned.

Moderator
#10 Posted by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

You just want your own sticky thread, admit it :P

I'd have done a Star Wars chronology quite some time ago if that were the case. Quite honestly, the ubiquitous threads are becoming tiresome.

Moderator
#11 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I see... It makes sense, not saying it doesn't, just not seeing what's going to fit into 10-13 specifically.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

I see... It makes sense, not saying it doesn't, just not seeing what's going to fit into 10-13 specifically.

I figured... average stuff. Though since I'm a bit out of the loop, I don't know what that is. Perhaps KOTOR.

Moderator
#13 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

7-10

The Batman Adventures

#14 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

7-10 power pack

usually easy to read stories and good lesson at end

#15 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I think comics from the 60's and mid 70's are good for all ages...

#16 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

Majestic comics and Thor comics can go in the 15-18 section.

Thragg comics are very bloody and should be for mature readers only.

#17 Posted by SyIar (405 posts) - - Show Bio

18+

Crossed

#18 Posted by Owie (3763 posts) - - Show Bio
Others for 7-10.  I've listed a variety of recent series that are no longer made but can still often be found in stores.

The whole gamut of Marvel Adventures comics ( Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, Marvel Adventures Super Heroes, etc.)  (no longer in production)
Scooby Doo (various volumes)
Teen Titans Go! (no longer in production)
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
The new kids' Ultimate Spider-Man, not to be confused with the somewhat more adult Ultimate Spider-Man
Muppets (various volumes)
Super Dinosaur 
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (and the All New version) (not to be confused with other older volumes) (no longer in production)
Young Justice (slightly older target audience than some of these others but solidly in the 7-10 group)
Sonic the Hedgehog (various volumes)
DC Superfriends (no longer in production)
Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam (no longer in production)
Franklin Richards (series of one-shots, haven't seen any recently)
#19 Posted by ShootingNova (17791 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

I'd have done the ages differently and merged the first three together. But a good idea.

My 2 cents:

7-10

  • Tiny Titans
  • Superman Adventures Family (Not correct title, but whatevs)
  • Archie

13-15

  • Most comics that come out fall into this category. They're acceptable for most ages, even if they may not appreciate it fully.
  • WATX
  • X-Men Legacy
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League

15-18

  • More mature comics, that generally incorporate politics, or blood, or stories that incorporate something more complicated for pre-Teens to understand.
  • Iron Man?
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • X-Factor
  • Batman

18+

  • I think 15 year olds can read whatever, personally. Worked for me, but still, as per OP:
  • X-Force/Uncanny X-Force
  • Punisher (MAX, or anything MAX for that matter)
  • Alias (which is MAX IIRC, but still)

Will edit.

This is a pretty good list.

#20 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5446 posts) - - Show Bio
@Owie said:
Others for 7-10.  I've listed a variety of recent series that are no longer made but can still often be found in stores.

The whole gamut of Marvel Adventures comics ( Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, Marvel Adventures Super Heroes, etc.)  (no longer in production)
Scooby Doo (various volumes)
Teen Titans Go! (no longer in production)
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
The new kids' Ultimate Spider-Man, not to be confused with the somewhat more adult Ultimate Spider-Man
Muppets (various volumes)
Super Dinosaur 
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (and the All New version) (not to be confused with other older volumes) (no longer in production)
Young Justice (slightly older target audience than some of these others but solidly in the 7-10 group)
Sonic the Hedgehog (various volumes)
DC Superfriends (no longer in production)
Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam (no longer in production)
Franklin Richards (series of one-shots, haven't seen any recently)
Agree, also Boom Studios put out a few good titles, and Disney comics if they're still around. This is the age group I buy for wight now, except my 2-3 books for me, lol 
#21 Posted by Owie (3763 posts) - - Show Bio
@Donovan Montgomery said:
Agree, also Boom Studios put out a few good titles, and Disney comics if they're still around. This is the age group I buy for wight now, except my 2-3 books for me, lol 
Good point, Boom has done several good Pixar books.
#22 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

7-10

  • Tiny Titans
  • Owly
  • Korgi
  • Superman Family Adventures
  • Fraggle Rock
  • DC Super Pets
  • Super Dinosaur
  • Strawberry Shortcake
  • Duck Tales
  • Rescue Rangers
  • Kung Fu Panda
  • Sonic
  • Mega Man
  • Marvel Super Heroes

10-13

  • Adventure Time
  • Archie
  • Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-man
  • New Crusaders
  • Young Justice
  • Teen Titans
  • Sponge Bob
  • Courtney Crumrin
  • Scooby Doo
  • Looney Toons
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series

13-15

  • Scott Pilgrim
  • SkullKickers
  • Justice League
  • FF
  • Aquaman
  • The Flash
  • Worlds Finest
  • Earth 2
  • Superman
  • Supergirl
  • Batgirl
  • Superboy
  • Nightwing
  • Blue Beetle
  • Ghostbusters
  • Transformers

15-18

  • Wonder Woman
  • X-Men
  • Wolverine and the X-Men
  • Captain America
  • Captain Marvel
  • Batman
  • Spider-men
  • Batwoman
  • Green Lantern
  • Teen Titans
  • Catwoman
  • Birds of Prey
  • Invincible Hulk
  • Invincible
  • BPRD
  • The Spider
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Secret Avengers
  • Avengers
  • Amazing Spider-man
  • All Marvel Ultimate comics
  • Wolverine

18+

  • Walking Dead
  • Saga
  • Crossed
  • The Massive
  • The Boys
  • Morning Glories
  • All Marvel MAX comics
  • Kick-Ass
  • Lord of the Jungle
  • Deadpool
  • Darktower
  • Hellblazer
  • Uncanny X-Force
  • Powers
#23 Posted by Mizz_Coconut (146 posts) - - Show Bio

13-15

Lost at Sea - Bryan Lee O'Malley

15-18

Scott Pilgrim - Bryan Lee O'Malley

Maus - Art Spiegelman

The Veil - El Torres

Walking Dead - Robert Kirkman

Rising Stars - J. Micheal Straczynski

Superman: Red Son - Mark Millar

Ghost World - Daniel Clowes

Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse - Ben Templesmith

Batman Noel - Lee Bermejo

Batman Arkham Asylum: 15th Anniversary - Grant Morrison

18+

Crossed, The Boys, Preacher, The Pro - Garth Ennis

Tank Girl - Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin

Sin City - Frank Millar

Watchman - Alan Moore

Suicide Forest, Drums - El Torres

Transmetropolitan, Planetary - Warren Ellis

Y: The Last Man - Brain. K. Vaughan

100 Bullets - Brain Azzarello

#24 Posted by CrashBang (120 posts) - - Show Bio

The Adventure Times comics are definitely for all ages and are hilarious.

For 18+ most Vertigo series' come to mind, like American Vampire, Sandman and Transmetropolitan.

#25 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't read comics.

#26 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

@NerdsFTW said:

Don't read comics.

Then why are you on a comics book forum site?

#27 Edited by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Katie24: I am joking.

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

And edit to OP would be nice.

#29 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Katie24 said:

7-10

  • Tiny Titans
  • Owly
  • Korgi
  • Superman Family Adventures
  • Fraggle Rock
  • DC Super Pets
  • Super Dinosaur
  • Strawberry Shortcake
  • Duck Tales
  • Rescue Rangers
  • Kung Fu Panda
  • Sonic
  • Mega Man
  • Marvel Super Heroes

10-13

  • Adventure Time
  • Archie
  • Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-man
  • New Crusaders
  • Young Justice
  • Teen Titans
  • Sponge Bob
  • Courtney Crumrin
  • Scooby Doo
  • Looney Toons
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series

13-15

  • Scott Pilgrim
  • SkullKickers
  • Justice League
  • FF
  • Aquaman
  • The Flash
  • Worlds Finest
  • Earth 2
  • Superman
  • Supergirl
  • Batgirl
  • Superboy
  • Nightwing
  • Blue Beetle
  • Ghostbusters
  • Transformers

15-18

  • Wonder Woman
  • X-Men
  • Wolverine and the X-Men
  • Captain America
  • Captain Marvel
  • Batman
  • Spider-men
  • Batwoman
  • Green Lantern
  • Teen Titans
  • Catwoman
  • Birds of Prey
  • Invincible Hulk
  • Invincible
  • BPRD
  • The Spider
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Secret Avengers
  • Avengers
  • Amazing Spider-man
  • All Marvel Ultimate comics
  • Wolverine

18+

  • Walking Dead
  • Saga
  • Crossed
  • The Massive
  • The Boys
  • Morning Glories
  • All Marvel MAX comics
  • Kick-Ass
  • Lord of the Jungle
  • Deadpool
  • Darktower
  • Hellblazer
  • Uncanny X-Force
  • Powers

This is a fantastic list -- just add Adventure Time and Marceline (both pretty new considering) in the 7-10 range and its pretty much what I would suggest. I would get into the independents but this is pretty comprehensive as it is.

Great compilation, m'dear. :)

#30 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

7-10 Bone, Tiny Titans, Superman Family Adventures, A Tale of Sand, Fraggle Rock

10-13 Ultimate Spider-Man, Justice League, Flash

13-15 Invincible, Batman, Green Lantern, Wolverine and the X-Men

15-18 Morning Glories, Fables, The Ultimates

18+ Most Vertigo, Max, etc.