Comics Come Out In Support After Hurricane Sandy Devastation

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

When tragedy strikes it seems the comic book industry always reaches out to help those in need in one way or another, and following the devastation that hurricane Sandy left in her wake, the industry banded together to establish the Art For Sandy Relief. The initiative was created by Marvel Sales Coordinator Jim Viscardi and Disney digital designer Rich Ginter. The two friends and former co-workers wanted to do what they could to help their hometown, and they knew that comic art was always good for raising a little bit of money. The two gents spoke in a recent interview with Robot6 about how everything came together and what their goals are, ultimately.

No Caption Provided

This relief effort came out of just my urge to want to be back in New York helping out. I have been in contact with many friends and family, and saw the photos of the all devastation over the past week. I felt helpless because I could not offer any assistance, so I tried to do what I thought would be best and that is to help raise money.

I sat down on Friday night put together a few graphics, set up an email address, twitter and the facebook page. I put the word out on the @art4sandyrelief twitter and my own personal one, James Viscardi, is a friend and a colleague when I was at Marvel, immediately text me saying “I want to help” and I knew I could use it. Aside from the two of us there are those who have kindly started to pledge their donations to us and help spread the word.

A lot of art has already been donated by several artists (a page out of FEAR AGENT and another donated by Paolo Rivera, posted below). According to Rich, the money they raise through monetary donations as well as through the sale of donated art pieces will go to the Steven Siller Tunnels to Towers Hurricane Relief effort; a local charity that works primarily in the New York/New Jersey area where the bulk of the damage from Hurricane Sandy was seen. If you are interested in donating to the relief effort, send an email to artforsandyrelief@gmail.com or visit the official Art For Sandy Facebook and Twitter page.

== TEASER ==
Rivera donated page
Rivera donated page

Source: Robot6

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmashBrawler

Seems cool. Much better than the 9/11 Spider-Man issue, that's for sure.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Lvenger

Well it's nice to see the comic industry doing something to help those who have suffered from Hurricane Sandy. A fine sentiment indeed.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By impossibilly

This is awesome. I hope more artists donate to this effort.

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By notarandomguy

@Lvenger said:

Well it's nice to see the comic industry doing something to help those who have suffered from Hurricane Sandy. A fine sentiment indeed.

As long as its with America as a whole and not just people from the US coast like in NY, well I do support it

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5  Edited By No_Name_

@notarandomguy said:

@Lvenger said:

As long as its with America as a whole and not just people from the US coast like in NY, well I do support it

You know people lost their homes..and...died... >.>

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deadpool25mm

Nice to hear about this.

I still cant belive that they called the storm Sandy... why not : The Annihilator ? or something cool?

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Catsnlynne

What's Spider-Man doing? It's hard to tell.

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By notarandomguy

@Babs: this is a share account and it has not been posted by me, in fact haven't you quoted it I would not even noticed, thanks :) I am well aware of it, I was insanely worried about my family in there and living in another country there's not much I could do, this is an amazing idea, and more people should come out and help any way they can, I myself, included (sorry if bad grammar)

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

An honorable effort for a noble cause :) I applaud this.