#1 Edited by Raw_Material (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

When will comics be $.75 cents an issue again? Just spent the usual $50 something dollars when I went to grab my comics from the comic shop. WTF! Every Wednesday it seems like new titles are being released and I somehow always feel the urge to pick them up. I mean, it's only $3-4 dollars an issue, but imagine if you're buying 10-15 issues that day; it'll be close to about $50-60 dollars. Now. picture yourself going into the comic shop every other Wednesday - twice every month - you're spending an estimated guess of about $150 dollars monthly! What's your thoughts and feelings on the outrageous price on comics nowadays? Is there any solutions for such uprising? Thinking about narrowing down the titles I've been picking up. Anyone else thinking about doing the same?

This is also a forum to share the comics you've picked up in the current week. If you're listing the comics you've recently pulled, any issue cover of your choice is recommended.

#2 Posted by Raw_Material (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

My Comic Pile for this Week

• Avengers #8
  • Captain America #5
  • Deadpool #6
  • Indestructible Hulk #5
  • Superior Spider-Man #6
  • TMNT: The Secret History of the Foot Clan #4
  • Justice League #18
  • Justice League of America #2
  • Justice League of America's Vibe #2
  • Green Arrow #18
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #18
  • Green Lantern Corps #18
  • Threshold #3

And other indie comics I seem to forget...

#3 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew a guy who waits 3 years for trades when they become super cheap for comics.u can do that

#4 Edited by Dabee (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: There's one problem with that.

Guy Who Waits: Oh my God, dude! Did you read Planet Hulk? I can't wait to see how that turns out!

Guy Who Doesn't Wait: What? Oh, yeah. He comes back and fights the Illuminati. That was like... years ago.

Guy Who Waits: [weeps]

EDIT: Don't forget that inflation has been on the rise a lot since comics were 75 cents. Also, we now have fancy glossy paper instead of newsprint.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (80707 posts) - - Show Bio

The outrageous prices have already drove me to trades.

If this stuff continues I don't know what will happen.

#6 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

quality of paper or printing is the reason commonly given for the outrageous cover prices.

Marvel and DC comics are mainly vehicles for advertising comic properties for other media at this point they are just the Superheroes of Disney and Time Warner, Multimedia Mega-conglomerates who can use those intellectual properties in any number of ways. The comics themselves are an economic afterthought compared to the money they can generate as movies for example. The move to Digital was a suicide attempt by the big two.

Most Marvel/DC books are not worth $3.99-$4.99. They are not even worth the effort to pirate and read for free IMO.

There are still indie comics which are worth the cover price.

If you MUST have Marvel/DC fare:

Go to your local comics show. You will find dealers selling recent issues for like fifty cents, five for a dollar etc. Back Issues (pre-1990) can also be found cheap, these are the good Marvel/DC books IMO.

#7 Posted by Raw_Material (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dabee said:

@moywar700: There's one problem with that.

Guy Who Waits: Oh my God, dude! Did you read Planet Hulk? I can't wait to see how that turns out!

Guy Who Doesn't Wait: What? Oh, yeah. He comes back and fights the Illuminati. That was like... years ago.

Guy Who Waits: [weeps]

EDIT: Don't forget that inflation has been on the rise a lot since comics were 75 cents. Also, we now have fancy glossy paper instead of newsprint.

This is pretty much the truth ^

#8 Posted by Edamame (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this is all due to inflation. It would be best to simply wait for the prices to go down. It's the same with video games, to be honest.

If people would protest against these high prices by doing a "boycott" or something of the like, then prices would most likely go down, but I can't see that happening.

#9 Posted by judasnixon (6101 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: Quite the opposite. Less books sold the more they have to charge per issue. 
#10 Edited by Edamame (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

@Edamame: Quite the opposite. Less books sold the more they have to charge per issue.

Er, well, good point. I don't understand how that works, though. I assumed that the prices would go down in order to meet the demand of the public.

Well, I guess there is no other solution. If one wants an "affordable" price, then he/she has to simply wait.

#11 Posted by judasnixon (6101 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: Comic Economics is a sad and scary thing.... Waiting for comics to become cheaper means higher chances of it cancelation... I wish I had an answer for the problem, but I don't..... It just sucks......
#12 Posted by Edamame (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

@Edamame: Comic Economics is a sad and scary thing.... Waiting for comics to become cheaper means higher chances of it cancelation... I wish I had an answer for the problem, but I don't..... It just sucks......

The Supply and Demand theory can make my head spin. lol

The other problem is that there are so few comic book stores around and that there is actually a relatively low supply of comics/comic books overall. That is why I protect my comics at all costs. I may never be able to purchase them again if they get destroyed, damaged or anything like that. I think the problem is the low supply of comics.

#13 Posted by judasnixon (6101 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: Man you are going to hate me...  Even the lowest selling comics on today standards will never really raise in great value... With population growth, and people saving comics, you will never have another Action Comic #1.... This is just my dumb opinion, but if you are investing in comics to make money after the 80's you will be pissed at the world......
#14 Posted by Edamame (27891 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Not at all. lol

Well, that may be due to a low demand for them. I don't know why that may be. I am just keeping them so that I can still read them. I have no intention of selling them in the future.

#15 Posted by logy5000 (5635 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics certainly are overpriced.

#16 Posted by longbowhunter (6623 posts) - - Show Bio

I like what Image is doing. Books like Fatale and Storm Dogs are $3.50, no ads and extras in the back. I always feel like I get my money's worth.

#17 Edited by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't mind being 6 months behind on everything, Marvel's digital subscription service isn't a bad bet. There's some obvious tradeoffs, but that $50-60 you spend every week becomes a yearly fee instead.

#18 Posted by Raw_Material (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

What's on your list of comics this week?

Mine's:

• Aquaman #18
  • Deadpool Killustrated #3