Comic with Female Lead (Trade Paper Backs/Graphic Novels)

HoraceGumball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HoraceGumball

Hey everyone looking to get my GF a gift for Christmas. She is kind of new to comics, as far as I know shes never read any but really loves Thor and I think she likes Spiderman as well.

She told me that she wanted me to get her a comic book for Christmas but one where the main character is female.

I really want something for her that she will like, something mainstream like Wonder Woman or Spider Woman. But it needs to be a complete storyline that she could start and finish. So either a few Trade Paper Backs or a Graphic novel.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horacegumball: There are a couple of Journey Into Mystery TPB's that star Sif, which is in the Thor wheelhouse of characters. They're great.

Journey Into Mystery: Stronger Than Monsters and Journey Into Mystery: Seeds of Destruction

Black Widow: The Name of the Rose is the quintessential Black Widow story as far as I'm concerned. It involves some appearances from other heroes (Iron Man, Wolverine, Winter Soldier) and touches on Nat's back history, but it's also pretty self contained.

If you're looking for something that isn't necessary so superhero, Lazarus is awesome, the first trade is out and it's around ten dollars.

HoraceGumball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

The Dynamite's titles for strong female leads. Either Red Sonja or Vampirella.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@horacegumball: I don't read it myself, but I hear Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman is also great.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Palmiotti and Grey's run on Power Girl (first 12 issues) is very good. People who know nothing about her think she is just a fanservice character, but that particular series is well loved, by women, too.

Anything Gail Simone writes is usually superb. Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel is also great (although the downside is that the artist changed to someone with a totally different style halfway through)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Madame Xanadu.

BB

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Madame Xanadu.

BB

The above is awesome.

Mainstream-wise you can pick up a lot of mini's -- anything with Elektra is great although her five issue Dark Reign mini written by Wells and drawn by Mann is amazing. There is a new book through Marvel NOW which will be starting in March of next year written by the same author so if she likes it, it can continue. Then again, there are a lot of mini's and longer runs with the character to keep your girlfriend happy is she finds Elektra interesting.

There is also X-23 -- I would suggest you get Kyle and Yost's stories (they created the character in the first place) - first being X-23 Innocence Lost and Target X.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@lykopis said:

Mainstream-wise you can pick up a lot of mini's -- anything with Elektra is great although her five issue Dark Reign mini written by Wells and drawn by Mann is amazing. There is a new book through Marvel NOW which will be starting in March of next year written by the same author so if she likes it, it can continue. Then again, there are a lot of mini's and longer runs with the character to keep your girlfriend happy is she finds Elektra interesting.

There is also X-23 -- I would suggest you get Kyle and Yost's stories (they created the character in the first place) - first being X-23 Innocence Lost and Target X.

It looks like he's been replaced with W. Haden Blackman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Get her some Journey Into Mystery (the stuff with Kid Loki). Not a female lead, but she'll love it.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Ed Brubaker's Catwoman is already in two or is it three volumes already, so let her try that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel Now Journey Into Mystery. It stars Lady Sif, and the whole thing is in two TPBs.

HoraceGumball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith, @morgaine_levesque

Journey Into Mystery sounds like a perfect fit
Now I know exactly what to pick up when I head to the store or shop online.

Thank you so much!

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Witchblade. Start with issue 75.