Comic Vine's Top 100 Super-Villains 2011

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By PikminMania
@Jnr6Lil: There is not Hall of Fame now... Reminds me of the presidential election personally.
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@PikminMania said:

@Jnr6Lil: There is not Hall of Fame now... Reminds me of the presidential election personally.

No HOF?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#153  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Jnr6Lil: Well, it was an idea thought up by one of the users which we have more recently decided agianst doing. It was going to be a seperate list above the actual list for ones we were sure going to be on the list, but I decided it would disctract people from the actual list and we chose not to do it for this list.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Poet said:

@Jnr6Lil: Well, it was an idea thought up by one of the users which we have more recently decided agianst doing. It was going to be a seperate list above the actual list for ones we were sure going to be on the list, but I decided it would disctract people from the actual list and we chose not to do it for this list.

What was it supposed to be actually

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

It occurs to me I should show what the order of business will be (now that we have decided on some stuff):

• Step ONE: collect all 20 nominators (what we're doing currently)
  • Step TWO: have those nominators nominate 8 character. 5 will be from their assigned publisher. 3 will be from where ever as long as they meet the guidelines of nominations (read below for details)

Nomination guidelines: All nominations must be (of course) comic book characters (so we can include them on the list). I would ask that they have more than 1 appearence (just something I ask for, but if you have good reasoning, maybe exceptions can be made). All characters much be evil in behavior (for example, they have broken the law, killed people, tryed taking over the world, etc.) or they have acted as the antagonist of a story (they worked agianst the protagonist, or hero). these characters, however, can sway in behavior (for example: Riddler was a detective for a little bit, but I would still count him as a villain...hint hint). But, they must be a villain at some point in the game. Make sure that the character nominated was in control of their actions (so If someone nominated Jean Grey, I would ask that they nominate the Dark Phoenix instead. If that makes sense). however, if that character was simply influenced by a character and not totally controlled by that other character (like how Darth Sidious influenced Anakin Skywalker to become Darth Vader. He didn't have to, but he did become a sith lord), then I will allow that character (so, if anyone is interested in nominating Darth Vader, even though he started good and ended sort of good, they can do so). I would also ask that NO ANIMATED characters be included in this list (so no Snidely wipelash, Boris Badenov, or Dr. Eggman). No EXCEPTION. they must be a comic based character. I think that covers that. Feel free to ask me or other more knowledgeably users in regards to nominations and if they fit the Super-villain motif. (oh, remember, they must be SUPER villains. in your reasons show why they should be considered a super-villain).

• Step THREE: write nomination reasons for your nominations! This should be done about the same time as you nominate your characters (so we don't have to pause when doing this). Reasons should be from a sentence to a paragraph in length and should consist of your arguments for why your nomination should be on the list (write it like some unknolledgable has walked upon the list and asks "why should X character be on this list?!" That way, we can cut down questioning regarding nominations). Remember, this will be reviewed by everyone (no presure), including your fellow 20 users, who will consider those areguements in Step FOUR. Please refrain from just saying "this guy is from Marvel...". I want good reasons! That even goes for the more known characters!
  • Step FOUR: After the 20 nominate their characters, you (the comunity) are able to step in. I previously called these Comunity Wildcards, but I think Comunity Nominations would be the best name. If you see a character is not on the list and you think it should be, then you can nominate that character. Please note that if you nominate a character, you are responsible for writing nomination reasons just like any other nominator (in fact I am requiring all nominations to have nomination reasons or they will not be counted. sort of like giving links for the comunity star!). I will give an alotted amount of time for nominations and votes to come in. Its your responsibility to get people to vote. I will collect votes and the top 8 characters will be added to the list of nominations
  • Step FIVE: After all 168 characters are nominated, the nominators will give me the order of the characters they want the characters to be like. The placement of the characters will give each character a value (#1 = 100 pts, #2 = 99pts, etc.) and those points will be added together to determine an inital order for the list (any ties will be determined by a group of five including myself).
  • Step Six: After this is done, I will create a 1-168 list on the blog and I will allow the comunity to vote. Each user will have the chance to have 5 votes (all +). Please note that all voters must have 15 forum posts or more (the number to get over the flood protection) and each account must be to be 2 weeks old. Please, not alternates. this is not a competition, so don't issult your favorite character by trying to vote twice. its not cool!
  • Step Seven: using the votes collected, I will remove the 68 exctra characters (and they will be put on the Runner up list). Then, I will create the final list and it will be final.
Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#156  Edited By Liberty
@The Poet said:

It occurs to me I should show what the order of business will be (now that we have decided on some stuff):

• Step ONE: collect all 20 nominators (what we're doing currently)
  • Step TWO: have those nominators nominate 8 character. 5 will be from their assigned publisher. 3 will be from where ever as long as they meet the guidelines of nominations (read below for details)

Nomination guidelines: All nominations must be (of course) comic book characters (so we can include them on the list). I would ask that they have more than 1 appearence (just something I ask for, but if you have good reasoning, maybe exceptions can be made). All characters much be evil in behavior (for example, they have broken the law, killed people, tryed taking over the world, etc.) or they have acted as the antagonist of a story (they worked agianst the protagonist, or hero). these characters, however, can sway in behavior (for example: Riddler was a detective for a little bit, but I would still count him as a villain...hint hint). But, they must be a villain at some point in the game. Make sure that the character nominated was in control of their actions (so If someone nominated Jean Grey, I would ask that they nominate the Dark Phoenix instead. If that makes sense). however, if that character was simply influenced by a character and not totally controlled by that other character (like how Darth Sidious influenced Anakin Skywalker to become Darth Vader. He didn't have to, but he did become a sith lord), then I will allow that character (so, if anyone is interested in nominating Darth Vader, even though he started good and ended sort of good, they can do so). I would also ask that NO ANIMATED characters be included in this list (so no Snidely wipelash, Boris Badenov, or Dr. Eggman). No EXCEPTION. they must be a comic based character. I think that covers that. Feel free to ask me or other more knowledgeably users in regards to nominations and if they fit the Super-villain motif. (oh, remember, they must be SUPER villains. in your reasons show why they should be considered a super-villain).

• Step THREE: write nomination reasons for your nominations! This should be done about the same time as you nominate your characters (so we don't have to pause when doing this). Reasons should be from a sentence to a paragraph in length and should consist of your arguments for why your nomination should be on the list (write it like some unknolledgable has walked upon the list and asks "why should X character be on this list?!" That way, we can cut down questioning regarding nominations). Remember, this will be reviewed by everyone (no presure), including your fellow 20 users, who will consider those areguements in Step FOUR. Please refrain from just saying "this guy is from Marvel...". I want good reasons! That even goes for the more known characters!
  • Step FOUR: After the 20 nominate their characters, you (the comunity) are able to step in. I previously called these Comunity Wildcards, but I think Comunity Nominations would be the best name. If you see a character is not on the list and you think it should be, then you can nominate that character. Please note that if you nominate a character, you are responsible for writing nomination reasons just like any other nominator (in fact I am requiring all nominations to have nomination reasons or they will not be counted. sort of like giving links for the comunity star!). I will give an alotted amount of time for nominations and votes to come in. Its your responsibility to get people to vote. I will collect votes and the top 8 characters will be added to the list of nominations
  • Step FIVE: After all 168 characters are nominated, the nominators will give me the order of the characters they want the characters to be like. The placement of the characters will give each character a value (#1 = 100 pts, #2 = 99pts, etc.) and those points will be added together to determine an inital order for the list (any ties will be determined by a group of five including myself).
  • Step Six: After this is done, I will create a 1-168 list on the blog and I will allow the comunity to vote. Each user will have the chance to have 5 votes (all +). Please note that all voters must have 15 forum posts or more (the number to get over the flood protection) and each account must be to be 2 weeks old. Please, not alternates. this is not a competition, so don't issult your favorite character by trying to vote twice. its not cool!
  • Step Seven: using the votes collected, I will remove the 68 exctra characters (and they will be put on the Runner up list). Then, I will create the final list and it will be final.
Awesome!  Let's keep it this way so we don't have to keep writing rules all the time.  =]
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

10 users (though Liberty, Silkcuts and Razza Tazz will take three of those):

1. Dynamite Entertainment:
  2. Archie/Red Circle/ Mighty Comics / Impact Comics:
  3. Fleetway Comics/Rebellion Comics:
  4. AcclaimComics/Valiant Comics:
  5. Epic Comics
  6. AC Comics:
  7. Harvey Comics/Gold Key Comics/Dell Comics:
  8. Charlton Comics
  9. Eclipse Comics:
  10. Fox Comics/Holyoke Comics:
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Poet said:

5. Epic Comics
  6. AC Comics:
  8. Charlton Comics
  9. Eclipse Comics:

What happened to DC & Marvel?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Jnr6Lil: oh, those are the ones I need uses from. Rest asurred I am not going to take DC or Marvel from this list! Billy batson and haydenclaireheroes would light the fire and the rest of the comunity would burn me on the stack if I did that! of course I WOULD get to roast those mashmellows I have been saving for a special occation :P

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Liberty

Come on where are the REAL comic fans?  This is what separates the "Micky Mouse fans" from the comic gods.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Liberty

How is Dynamite Entertainment still available?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Liberty said:

good question...I have this feeling like someone has taken it, but I don't think thats true...

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Poet said:

@Jnr6Lil: oh, those are the ones I need uses from. Rest asurred I am not going to take DC or Marvel from this list! Billy batson and haydenclaireheroes would light the fire and the rest of the comunity would burn me on the stack if I did that! of course I WOULD get to roast those mashmellows I have been saving for a special occation :P

Need uses?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Jnr6Lil: Need Users. Sorry. you'll have to excuse my momentary lack of good spelling. so sue me if I didn't include the letter "R".

The first page holds many answers to questions...

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#165  Edited By jhazzroucher

@The Poet said:

@Jnr6Lil: Need Users. Sorry. you'll have to excuse my momentary lack of good spelling. so sue me if I didn't include the letter "R".

lol. : )

we need users. I was looking at the list and as much as i wanted to volunteer, i just feel lazy researching to look for a good top 8 list especially to a publisher which i know a little only.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

we need users. I was looking at the list and as much as i wanted to volunteer, i just feel lazy researching to look for a good top 8 list especially to a publisher which i know a little only.

I felt the same

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#167  Edited By IrishX
@Liberty said:
Come on where are the REAL comic fans?  This is what separates the "Micky Mouse fans" from the comic gods.
Interesting. 
@Liberty said:
I was thinking about what villains you could use from Dynamite. Not many came to mind... James Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes), The Terminator, Kulan Gath (Red Sonja), The Kurgan (Highlander).
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@IrishX: Well, Thulsa Doom (according to dynamite's website) is a villain. Dracula could also be taken for nominations. I mean, one version of the character is a villain of Vampirella. the other is the regular enemy of Van Helsing. so, we could take it either way because Dynamite has published both characters at one point or another (though the Bram Stoker version would be more famous)

So, I am sure the person could find 5 nominations in some of the popular titles of dynamite. Its not too hard.

I think Moriarty was one of the characters Hawkeye446 was thinking of doing (being the ABC represtative), because although Dynmite has published titles with Moriarty I think the League of extraenary gentlemen used him the best...but thats up to those nominators to fight it out. I only stand by and cheer them on :)

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#169  Edited By IrishX
@The Poet: Honestly does it even matter? When thinking of a Top 100 list should someone even have to struggle to come up with characters that should be on it anyway? Maybe someone can come up with 5 characters from Dynamite or another publisher but does that mean they even deserve to be on a list of greatest characters? Of course not, but if you go by publisher (I know I'm beating a dead horse with this) then this is what will inevitably occur.... people struggling to come up with characters from more obscure companies. If people don't want to represent these publishers maybe that's a sign that they don't really belong? Sorry, I do try to stay out of it and will from now on.
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@IrishX: well, I hope nominators would know those obscure publishers. so, if they they know them, then they don't have to scruggle on WHO to nominate, but who NOT to nominate. they should have some knolledge of their publisher. think about it this way: nominators give reasons why characters should be on the list. Therefore, these nominators actully should like and care for the characters (well, maybe not in the case of Darkseid or other villains you love to hate). Last time there were a few nominators who just said, "I don't know that much about this or that character" in their nomination reasons. this time, I don't want to see that. i want to see nominators nominate characters they know and they can argue the day out why this or that character should be on the list. Though most people might not like this example, Storm is the example I will use. Her fans can argue the day through why she is #1. I want to see users who care deeply for those characters. so, all nominations should diserve to be on the list.

There are users out there who love these publisher. If they didn't why did they servive to make so many comics? now I'm done :)

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By PikminMania

@The Poet: What Irish is saying is exactly why there should be no Fox comics list but another Marvel or DC one. Especially sine there is no more hall of fame. Tell me this, do you think that Dr. Macabre deserves to anywhere near the Joker on a list, let alone The Riddler? No, he doesn't. You know who does? Mr.Freeze, but since you only gave the big publishers with memorable villains a couple slots to nominate the famous ones, where are all of the other famous villains going to go?

Fox Comics may have been big in the 40s, but that doesn't mean their villains have any fans and/or were memorable at all. I care deeply for Dr. Robotnik, one of the few villains able to take over the world, but he gets pushed over for whoever The Shield fought once or twice. Another example, I love and care for Ragdoll, one of my favorite villains, but I am smart enough to know that he wouldn't even be in a top 50 for the best villains in comics. People have to realize that your favorite is different than the best.

The wildcard nominations do not cut it. All some of the users are saying is that we have to respect the oldies! But what is their to respect, they never did anything worth mentioning compared to what Mr. Mxy (a villain who probably won't make it) has done.

@The Poet said:

@IrishX: well, I hope nominators would know those obscure publishers. so, if they they know them, then they don't have to scruggle on WHO to nominate, but who NOT to nominate. they should have some knolledge of their publisher. think about it this way: nominators give reasons why characters should be on the list. Therefore, these nominators actully should like and care for the characters (well, maybe not in the case of Darkseid or other villains you love to hate). Last time there were a few nominators who just said, "I don't know that much about this or that character" in their nomination reasons. this time, I don't want to see that. i want to see nominators nominate characters they know and they can argue the day out why this or that character should be on the list. Though most people might not like this example, Storm is the example I will use. Her fans can argue the day through why she is #1. I want to see users who care deeply for those characters. so, all nominations should diserve to be on the list.

There are users out there who love these publisher. If they didn't why did they servive to make so many comics? now I'm done :)

That rant up there is kinda in response to that statement. Even then this is like putting Justin Beiber on a Top 100 Musicians list, the same list The Beatles is on. So what if they had a lot of fans (even though a lot of these publishers don't) it doesn't make them worthy of being on the same list as The Beatles. This is another reason why The Hall of Fame would've at least balanced things more.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@PikminMania said:

@The Poet: What Irish is saying is exactly why there should be no Fox comics list but another Marvel or DC one. Especially sine there is no more hall of fame. Tell me this, do you think that Dr. Macabre deserves to anywhere near the Joker on a list, let alone The Riddler? No, he doesn't. You know who does? Mr.Freeze, but since you only gave the big publishers with memorable villains a couple slots to nominate the famous ones, where are all of the other famous villains going to go?

Fox Comics may have been big in the 40s, but that doesn't mean their villains have any fans and/or were memorable at all. I care deeply for Dr. Robotnik, one of the few villains able to take over the world, but he gets pushed over for whoever The Shield fought once or twice. Another example, I love and care for Ragdoll, one of my favorite villains, but I am smart enough to know that he wouldn't even be in a top 50 for the best villains in comics. People have to realize that your favorite is different than the best.

The wildcard nominations do not cut it. All some of the users are saying is that we have to respect the oldies! But what is their to respect, they never did anything worth mentioning compared to what Mr. Mxy (a villain who probably won't make it) has done.

@The Poet said:

That rant up there is kinda in response to that statement. Even then this is like putting Justin Beiber on a Top 100 Musicians list, the same list The Beatles is on. So what if they had a lot of fans (even though a lot of these publishers don't) it doesn't make them worthy of being on the same list as The Beatles. This is another reason why The Hall of Fame would've at least balanced things more.

@IrishX said:

@The Poet: Honestly does it even matter? When thinking of a Top 100 list should someone even have to struggle to come up with characters that should be on it anyway? Maybe someone can come up with 5 characters from Dynamite or another publisher but does that mean they even deserve to be on a list of greatest characters? Of course not, but if you go by publisher (I know I'm beating a dead horse with this) then this is what will inevitably occur.... people struggling to come up with characters from more obscure companies. If people don't want to represent these publishers maybe that's a sign that they don't really belong? Sorry, I do try to stay out of it and will from now on.
Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Liberty

Where are we at now?

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By PikminMania

@Liberty:We still need like 10 people to join if that is what you are asking.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Liberty said:

Where are we at now?

5. Epic Comics
  6. AC Comics:
  8. Charlton Comics
  9. Eclipse Comics:
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@PikminMania: we spent two weeks argueing this same topic. Lets just get to the list...I'm tired of all that argueing...

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Liberty
@IrishX: Seriously?  You have to struggle to find villains?  You could practically make a top 100 list from the despicable characters in the Boys alone.  Not to mention the villians of Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, or Zorro.  What about the villains in Project Superpowers?  Plus all the ones you mentioned and more.

@PikminMania: I'm sorry but that may have been your worst post ever.  All you have whined about since day one is making sure the big guys from DC and Marvel make the list.  Basing it on total popularity.  All you have wanted was the Justin Beiber picks.  As if it has to be great because it is popular.  Take the Beatles.  They were influenced by guys like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richar and Buddy Holly.  Yeah Buddy Holly.  He only released three albums and died in 1959 but his influence lived on in the Beatles.  Now look at all the groups the Beatles influenced.  We stand on the shoulders of greatness.  Every artist build on what comes before.  The books from the 30's and 40's are what made the heroes we read today.  It is dumb to ignore the older books.  It would be ignorant or lazy to do so.
Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Liberty
@Liberty: Oops I was writing my post while you were posting yours.
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Liberty said:

@Liberty: Oops I was writing my post while you were posting yours.

Love that you replied your self :)

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Liberty
@The Poet: Hilarious.
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

ok as we started a new page...

We need 10 more users (though Liberty, Silkcuts and Razza Tazz will take three of those):

5. Epic Comics
  6. AC Comics:
  8. Charlton Comics
  9. Eclipse Comics:
Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Liberty
@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

Come on!?  You would be great.  Besides if is wasn't for you I seriously doubt Storm would have made the last list.  We need people like you.  Are you sure you know nothing of the remaining publishers?
PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By PikminMania

@Liberty said:

@IrishX: Seriously? You have to struggle to find villains? You could practically make a top 100 list from the despicable characters in the Boys alone. Not to mention the villians of Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, or Zorro. What about the villains in Project Superpowers? Plus all the ones you mentioned and more.

@PikminMania: I'm sorry but that may have been your worst post ever. All you have whined about since day one is making sure the big guys from DC and Marvel make the list. Basing it on total popularity. All you have wanted was the Justin Beiber picks. As if it has to be great because it is popular. Take the Beatles. They were influenced by guys like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richar and Buddy Holly. Yeah Buddy Holly. He only released three albums and died in 1959 but his influence lived on in the Beatles. Now look at all the groups the Beatles influenced. We stand on the shoulders of greatness. Every artist build on what comes before. The books from the 30's and 40's are what made the heroes we read today. It is dumb to ignore the older books. It would be ignorant or lazy to do so.

In case you weren't aware, (which I know you were) Batman's classic villains were in the 40s. And in case you weren't aware again, there are many people who have been inspired by, say, The Penguin, no one is inspired by Dr. Macabre. And you know what the difference between villains like San Sin and Buddy Holly or Elvis is? Many people are aware of what they've done and respect them, I guarantee that no one has ever said, "Green Mask is what helped me become a writer. San Sin is just such a intriguing villain."

Basically what you are saying is that we have to honor the oldies, just not the ones that matter, like Frank Sinatra or Elvis. Instead, you'd want.. well I can't think of any singers that weren't important from the 50s off the top of my head? You know why, because that were sent into obscurity.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Liberty
@The Poet: Are you really sold on the 20 users?  You really have a lot of experts on the list right now.  If some of them doubled up would that really hurt?  Just asking your thoughts?  In the mean time I am going to try and find some.  I want to see this start by the end of the day.  (Hows that for a challenge?)
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Liberty said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@The Poet said:

Come on!? You would be great. Besides if is wasn't for you I seriously doubt Storm would have made the last list. We need people like you. Are you sure you know nothing of the remaining publishers?

well, she did say yes to being one of the comunicators for this this list (people who promote the list and such), so she will help us in that aspect...

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Liberty said:

@The Poet: Are you really sold on the 20 users? You really have a lot of experts on the list right now. If some of them doubled up would that really hurt? Just asking your thoughts? In the mean time I am going to try and find some. I want to see this start by the end of the day. (Hows that for a challenge?)

thats a tough challenge...

I mean, I do want to have more users partispate (for the voting, not exactly the nominations), but it could work...Depends on how users feel on that

Still think we could get a Dynamite easily...

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Liberty
@PikminMania: No one is or was promoting the Green Mask for starters.  But the Blue Beetle?  Yeah.  I'd say he made an impact.  The Black Terror inspired the Punisher, and so on.  The Joker (who is likely to be number one on this list) was inspired by the Gwynplaine character from the 1909 film The Man who laughs that was based on the Victor Hugo Novel with the same name published in 1869

1869!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Dr. Macabre didn't inspire anybody but his arch nemesis did.... 

CATMAN!

I'd say he inspired a character or two.  Like the DC villain for example.  You can point out the most obscure characters you can find to make an argument but none of them have been picked or likely will.  DC and Marvel have plenty of obscure one's and bad ones as well.  Just because DC and Marvel slap their name on it doesn't equate good.  I swear some comic fans would read a steaming turd if it said MARVEL.  You want to blast the list before it is even made.  comicvine already has a list of most appearances.  Why not just go down the list and take the first 100 villains you see.  That would be the equivalent.
Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Liberty
@The Poet: agreed.  I just asked five people I know.  Maybe that will start something?
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Liberty: I hope so.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#190  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@The Poet: I can find villains for Rebellion. :)

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Liberty
@Icarusflies: sweet!
PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By PikminMania

@Liberty: It isn't my fault that Marvel and DC have more memorable, more important villains than Fox or Holyoke. Cat-Man is cool and all, but Thor, Hal Jordan (even though you think he's a villain), and more have done way better stuff. Also your Blue Beetle reference is improving on my point since without DC, Blue Beetle would've fallen right into obscurity and would've never really been anything more than a superhero who maybe inspired one or two b-listers.

I honestly don't think an argument could be made for why (insert 40s villain here) is more important than Captain Cold, Mirror Master, or Gorilla Grodd. Three villains that might not make the list because of the villains that didn't make as much of an impact on comics than they did we'll b on it.

Like Irish said, if you have to look for Rebellion villains, then why should they be on. When I took up the mantle of Dell Comics last list I just looked on one site that showed what Dell Comics were published, knew that Dick Tracy and The Spirit inspired a great deal of comics, and nominated them. If anything, I'd put Catman on the hero list over Cat-Man anyday. Catman is just the better character.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Icarusflies said:

@The Poet: I can find villains for Rebellion. :)

Yay!!! thanks Icarus!!!!!

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Liberty
@PikminMania said:

@Liberty: It isn't my fault that Marvel and DC have more memorable, more important villains than Fox or Holyoke. Cat-Man is cool and all, but Thor, Hal Jordan (even though you think he's a villain), and more have done way better stuff. Also your Blue Beetle reference is improving on my point since without DC, Blue Beetle would've fallen right into obscurity and would've never really been anything more than a superhero who maybe inspired one or two b-listers.

I honestly don't think an argument could be made for why (insert 40s villain here) is more important than Captain Cold, Mirror Master, or Gorilla Grodd. Three villains that might not make the list because of the villains that didn't make as much of an impact on comics than they did we'll b on it.

Like Irish said, if you have to look for Rebellion villains, then why should they be on. When I took up the mantle of Dell Comics last list I just looked on one site that showed what Dell Comics were published, knew that Dick Tracy and The Spirit inspired a great deal of comics, and nominated them. If anything, I'd put Catman on the hero list over Cat-Man anyday. Catman is just the better character.

Wow!?!  Thor inspired by Norse God, Hal Jordan, inspired by the first Green Lantern Alan Scott.  Blue Beetle had his own radio show before the Green Hornet and the Lone Ranger.  and was bought because he was a great character that had great potential especially with Steve Ditko makeing the Ted Kord version.   (classy b-listers jab by the way.  I'm sure all BB fans are tearing up all over the world)

What like a 1940's villain like Black Adam for Fawcett comics.  That kind of super villain?  Also there you go again bashing the list before the first pick.  Can we wait and see if Captain Cold, Mirror Master and Gorilla Grodd don't make the list before you complain?  Might not....really might not?

We don't have to look for a Rebellion fan we have one.  Most people on the vine don't know about the blog that is why we are waiting not because no one reads the books.  Why would they even print them if no one was reading them?  So if you piked characters like the Spirit and Dick Tracy who you think should have been on the list, then what is your complaint?  Lastly, how can you say DC's Catman is better.  You have made it clear you haven't read Holyoke.  That has been the problem the whole time.  "If the great PikminMania doen't know the character they must suck"  Right?
PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By PikminMania

@Liberty: Cat-Man was another hero that was good, but didn't do anything that changed comics. Catman on the other had may have been inspired by Cat-man, but he was a much more developed, entertaining villain. Its like Jonny Quest and The Venture Bros.. Sure Venture Bros. was inspired by Jonny Quest, but in the end, Venture Bros. is more developed and more entertaining.

What you are telling me is that someone like Hal Jordan shouldn't be on a hero list, but a character who was never really fleshed out should be?

If I'm saying that if I don't know a character then they suck, then your saying that characters who don't have a lot of character development deserve to be on a list more than their much more acclaimed successors.

Now for my nominations:

Boba Fett
Boba Fett

When it comes to Star Wars, there is roughly three characters that just about everyone recognizes. One of those is Boba Fett. Why one may ask, well... He is often referred to as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and it shows. He is one of the few villains in the Star Wars universe that Han Solo is actually afraid of. Not only that, but Boba Fett has managed to kill jedis, mobsters, and many more heroes/villains. Boba is so badass that he doesn't get scared when around Darth Vader, he doesn't go down easily to Luke Skywalker, and Boba first appeared in the Star Wars Holiday Special, yet still is a fan favorite. That deserves some dedication alone.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Liberty
@PikminMania
It is stuff like this...

Its like Jonny Quest and The Venture Bros.. Sure Venture Bros. was inspired by Jonny Quest, but in the end, Venture Bros. is more developed and more entertaining.

...that makes you sound... well.... (I'm sorry) buy...ignorant.  You deem Venture Brothers more entertaining and developed so it must be so.  Right?  What about all the Quest fans who would disagree.  The Venture Brothers are a satire.  Made funny because of the love of the original.  The Venture Brothers draw all sorts of inspiration from Superheroes/Adventure stories and shows like G.I. Joe.  Hell, they even lampooned Scooby Doo.  Does that make them more entertaining?  Many would say no.  Many people find the show offensive.  (Not me by the way I love it)  My wife on the other hand As well as a couple of friends hate it. 

Bobo and Vader are fine choices but so are some of Ghost's super villains.  These characters are some of the best ever written like Malcolm Greymater a civil war vet kept alive but looking like a zombie, the psychologically and psychically damaged Doctor October, Cameron Nero who is a real twisted mind bending and manipulating villain, Fire Killer who wraps woman up in flammable material and burns them alive or Archibald Scythe who can control woman's minds and does so to "take advantage" of them.  When he's done with them he buries them alive.  They are all great choices but I didn't even mention her own sister Silhouette.  How about the Shades who literally remove the souls of people to steal their bodies?  These characters will make your skin crawl.  This is just some of the villains from one hero.  They are better developed and written than many of the "more popular" ones you could mention.  

If popularity is your only measuring stick what is the point?  You mentioned the Beatles.  What about a band like Cake.  Are they a good band or are they just a one hit wonder? Personally I think they are awesome but most people don't know who they are beyond the one song.  Does that make them any less great?

Do me a favor.  Write up your own list and post it here or send it to me BEFORE the votes.   Then compare it to the one we make.  See how many you got right.  Don't  whine about the guy that didn't make the list after the fact when the majority does.
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@protect_yourself: do you want to partisapate?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

We need 9 more users (though Liberty, Silkcuts and Razza Tazz will take three of those):

3. AcclaimComics/Valiant Comics:
  4. Epic Comics
  5. AC Comics:
  6. Harvey Comics/Gold Key Comics/Dell Comics:
  7. Charlton Comics
  8. Eclipse Comics:
  9. Fox Comics/Holyoke Comics:
PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By PikminMania

@Liberty said:

@PikminMania:
It is stuff like this...

Its like Jonny Quest and The Venture Bros.. Sure Venture Bros. was inspired by Jonny Quest, but in the end, Venture Bros. is more developed and more entertaining.

...that makes you sound... well.... (I'm sorry) buy...ignorant. You deem Venture Brothers more entertaining and developed so it must be so. Right? What about all the Quest fans who would disagree. The Venture Brothers are a satire. Made funny because of the love of the original. The Venture Brothers draw all sorts of inspiration from Superheroes/Adventure stories and shows like G.I. Joe. Hell, they even lampooned Scooby Doo. Does that make them more entertaining? Many would say no. Many people find the show offensive. (Not me by the way I love it) My wife on the other hand As well as a couple of friends hate it.

Bobo and Vader are fine choices but so are some of Ghost's super villains. These characters are some of the best ever written like Malcolm Greymater a civil war vet kept alive but looking like a zombie, the psychologically and psychically damaged Doctor October, Cameron Nero who is a real twisted mind bending and manipulating villain, Fire Killer who wraps woman up in flammable material and burns them alive or Archibald Scythe who can control woman's minds and does so to "take advantage" of them. When he's done with them he buries them alive. They are all great choices but I didn't even mention her own sister Silhouette. How about the Shades who literally remove the souls of people to steal their bodies? These characters will make your skin crawl. This is just some of the villains from one hero. They are better developed and written than many of the "more popular" ones you could mention.

If popularity is your only measuring stick what is the point? You mentioned the Beatles. What about a band like Cake. Are they a good band or are they just a one hit wonder? Personally I think they are awesome but most people don't know who they are beyond the one song. Does that make them any less great?

Do me a favor. Write up your own list and post it here or send it to me BEFORE the votes. Then compare it to the one we make. See how many you got right. Don't whine about the guy that didn't make the list after the fact when the majority does.

I meant to add IMO at the end of that, my bad.

I haven't read Ghost so excuse me, but I think I could easily argue that Captain Cold is better developed than Cameron Nero, same with Grodd. Also, why would you tell me about these villains now? I've been asking people what they think would be a good 5th villain for at least a week now. On a completely different note, Ghost fought The Mask, so that is another hero I'm putting down that the Mask has fought. I have my last villain though:

No Caption Provided

It is rare for Conan The Barbarian to have an nemesis. Heck, its rare for Conan to even have a villain that has been in more than a one or two comics, yet that is exactly what Thoth-amon does. Thoth cemented himself as Conan's arch enemy thanks to Marvel and Dark Horse. They had him summon monsters that fought Conan various times. Each time one of those monsters Thoth summoned showed up, loads of people were sure to die. Thoth-amon is so bad that he killed multiple priests, and worships Set, one of the first murderers ever. Now he may be portrayed a coward sometimes, but he's a coward that has killed thousands, and laughs at the anguish of Conan and every city he's messed up due to his supreme magical abilities.

Like I said before I think there is a difference between "favorite" and "best". Ragdoll is one of my favorite villains, but in the long run, I realize the Red Skull has done more that would qualify him as a better villain. My friends favorite band is KISS, but he still realizes that in terms of history and all that, The Beatles would be #1. That is why any time we discuss stuff like that my friends say that the list shouldn't be the best, but who their favorite is.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Liberty
@PikminMania: If you didn't know who Cameron Nemo was then how can you say Captain Cold is better in anyway?  This has become a circular argument/discussion.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Make your own list and post it here or send it to me in a PM.  Then compare it at the end.