Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the Best of the Month Poll where voters decide what is the best of the month! Today, I bring you the results of: Comic Vine Votes! - Best of the Month (MARCH 2014)

We had 12 voters including:

• DigitalShooter9
  • DonFelipe
  • EnigmaLantern
  • kilomac29
  • lifeboy
  • MadeinBangladesh
  • MannEffest
  • Moonie
  • scouts1998
  • The Poet
  • time
  • V_Scarlotte_Rose

Now, let’s get down to business, shall we?

Best Writing

1. Moon Knight #1
  2. Batman #29 / Ms. Marvel #2 (tie)
  3. Trillium #7
  4. ALL New X-Factor 4 / Captain Marvel #1 / Evil Empire #1 / Rocky and Bullwinkle #1 / Supergirl 29 / Superior Spider-Man #30 / Superman Unchained #6 (tie)
  5. less than 3 pts

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Writing of the Month

Best Cover Art

1. Loki Agent of Asgard #2
  2. Uncanny X-Men #18 / Uncanny Avengers #18 / Silver Surfer #1 / Batman #29 (tie)
  3. Sandman Overture #2 / Wonder Woman 29 (tie)
  4. Zero #6 / Superior Foes of Spiderman #10 / Hawkeye #17 / Daredevil #1 / Batman/Superman Annual #1 / All-New Invaders #3 (tie)
  5. less than 3 pts

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Cover Art of the Month

Best Interior Art

1. Sandman Overture #2
  2. Batman #29
  3. Daredevil #1 / Guardians of the Galaxy #13 (tie)
  4. Silver Surfer #1
  5. Moon Knight #1 / Ms. Marvel #2 (tie)

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Interior Art of the Month

Best Marvel Comics

1. Daredevil #1
  2. Captain Marvel #1
  3. Moon Knight #1 / Ms. Marvel #2 / She Hulk #2 (tie)
  4. Superior Foes of Spiderman #10
  5. Thor God of Thunder #20

Best DC Comics

1. Batman #29
  2. Forever Evil #6
  3. Wonder Woman #29
  4. Green Arrow #29 / Supergirl #29 (tie)
  5. Animal Man #29 / Batgirl #29 / Superman/Wonder Woman #6 (tie)

Best Indie Comic

1. The Wake #7
  2. Rocky and Bullwinkle #1 / Trillium #7 / Velvet #4
  3. Deadly Class #3 / Quantum and Woody: Goat / Sandman Overture #2 / Shadowman #16 / Afterlife with Archie #4
  4. less than 3pts

Most Underrated Comic of the Month

1. Rocky and Bullwinkle #1
  2. Avengers Assemble #25 / Clone #15 / Green Arrow #29 / Ms. Marvel 2 / Shadowman #16 / Supergirl 29 / Superman Unchained #6 / Uncanny Avengers #18 / Wonder Woman #29 (tie)
  3. less than 3pts

4. less than 3pts

5. less than 3pts

Comic Vine's Male Hero of the Month!

1. Nightcrawler - Amazing X-Men #5
  2. Spider-Man (Otto Octavius) - Superior Spider-Man #30
  3. Moon Knight - Moon Knight #1
  4. Daredevil - Daredevil #1 / Nightwing - Nightwing #29 / Animal Man - A-Man #29 / Superman - Superman/Wonder Woman #6 / Cyclops- Uncanny X-Men 18 / Deadpool - Night of the Living Deadpool #4 / Lex Luthor - Forever Evil 6 / Shadowman - Shadowman #16 / Silver Surfer - Silver Surfer #1
  5. less than 3pts

Comic Vine's Female Hero of the Month!

1. She-Hulk - She-Hulk #2
  2. Jean Grey - Guardians of the Galaxy #13 / Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) - Ms. Marvel #2 (tie)
  3. Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman #29
  4. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) - Captain Marvel #1
  5. Supergirl - Supergirl #29 / Nika - Trillium #7 / Polaris – All New X-Factor 4 / Wasp - Uncanny Avengers #18 / Wonder Woman - Superman/Wonder Woman #6

Comic Vine's Male Villain of the Month!

1. Zod - Superman/Wonder Woman #6
  2. Green Goblin - Superior Spider-Man #29
  3. Magneto - Uncanny Avengers #18
  4. Komodo - Green Arrow #29
  5. Despero - JLA 13 / First Born - WW #29 / Magneto - Magneto #1 / Neegan - Walking Dead #123 & #124 / Silver - Batgirl #29 / The Minotaur - Thor God of Thunder #20 (tie)

Comic Vine's Female Villain of the Month!

1. Faora - Superman/Wonder Woman #6
  2. Danger - All New X-Factor #4
  3. Black Sawn - New Avengers #15 / Cassandra - WW #29 / Emiko Lacroix - Green Arrow #29 / Locus - JL3000 4 / Madame Masque - Hawkeye #18 / Onyx - Green Arrow #29 / Silver Banshee - Supergirl #29 / Tanalth The Pursuer - All-New Invaders #3 (tie)
  4. less than 3pts
  5. less than 3pts

Comic Vine's Supporting Character of the Month!

1. Kitty Pryde - Guardians of the Galaxy #13
  2. Hellcat - She-Hulk #2
  3. Ada - Alex+Ada #5 / Agent Preston - Deadpool #25 / Captain Cold - Forever Evil #6 / Commissioner Gordon - Batman #29 / Lieutenant Trouble(Kit Renner) - Captain Marvel #1 / Rocket Raccoon - Guardians of the Galaxy #13 / Siobahn/ Silver Banshee - Supergirl 29 / Steel - Batman/Superman Annual #1 / Willie - Deadly Class #3 (tie)
  4. less than 3pts
  5. less than 3pts

Comic Vine’s Wild Card of the Month: Series that Should be on Everyone's Pull List !

1. Velvet
  2. Captain Marvel / Green Arrow (tie)
  3. Moon Knight / Ms. Marvel (tie)
  4. Action Comics / All New X-Factor / Amazing X-men / Deadly Class / Supergirl / Thor God of Thunder / Uncanny Avengers (tie)
  5. less than 3pts

Comic Vine's Best Comic of The Month!

1. Batman #29 with 27 Points and one 1st place win
  2. Moon Knight #1 with 20 Points and one 1st place win
  3. Daredevil #1 with 19 Points and one 1st place win / Ms. Marvel #2 with 19 Points
  4. Wonder Woman #29 with 17 Points
  5. Sandman Overture #2 with 15 Points and one 1st place win / Supergirl #29 with 15 Points / Uncanny Avengers #18 with 15 Points (tie)
#1 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by MannEffest (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at last, I can stick my foot in my mouth and say (even with Batman as Best Comic of the Month), the Best of the Month Voting no longer skews DC. I feel like All-New Marvel NOW has helped Marvel tremendously and seems to have awoken a variety of voters. Now, let's try to get Valiant winning some more awards! :D Keep it up Poet!

Also, how about "Best WTF Moment", "Best Splash Page", "Best Variant Cover", "Best Romance", or "Best Takedown"? Just throwing some out there :)

#3 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6660 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman won again -__-

Looks like COMICvine doesn't read many comics

#4 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice to see Velvet get some love, such a great series. Also, Ms. Marvel has a ton of mentions, guess I'll have to check that series out.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is voter turnout on the uptick? Good to see.

Stellar work as always @the_poet

#5 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice to see Velvet get some love, such a great series. Also, Ms. Marvel has a ton of mentions, guess I'll have to check that series out.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is voter turnout on the uptick? Good to see.

Stellar work as always @the_poet

thanks

yeah, it's really cool to see that increase. We have a couple of new faces which I think is really cool. I also think the callouts and the repeat reminders for those who commented but didn't vote worked fairly well.

I must say this month's poll was rather interesting. I know people like @madeinbangladesh might be mad Batman won again, but this month's stats are far from what they were when Batman was on his winning streak(s). It's different now. @manneffest is completely right when he said the poll is no longer skewing toward DC. it has more diversity. Batman #29 might have won, but it is an anomoly as far as Batman's history goes. an outlier to use another term.

Batman has won Best comic of the Month 13 times out of 28 times (in other words 1 win less than half of the time we have run this poll). I know that's a fact which irritates some but let me continue to my point: if we ignore the outliers in the batman data:

• Sept 2011 (because that was the first poll and the Best comic was actually voted upon rather than based on point values of the catagories)
  • Dec 2011 (because my predessor only had 4 voters the last time they created a voting thread)
  • June 2012 (because that was the month Batman #10 was tied with Nightwing #10 both with 26pts though batman had two 1st place votes and Nightwing had just one)
  • January 2014 and this month (since both are from the present and not attached to the streak which went from 2011-2012

then when Batman won he averaged a total of 57 points with 3 comic catagory wins in addition to the Best comic of the Month catagory.

Now look at January 2014 and this month's stats:

• January 2014: Batman #27 with 30 pts and 2 first place wins
  • March 2014: Batman #29 with 27 Points and one 1st place win

That is 27-30 points less than the 2011-2012 Batman streak point totals. I'd say that is a significant difference. I would love to go more in depth to see if there are any relating factors in this decrease and to see what the average difference between the 1st Best Comic of the month and the 2nd place but I was just using stats from my archieve (which is not as indepth I want it eventually to be) and unfortunately there is that 3 month hole in the poll results due to my absense from the site (though one of those months I do have a voting thread so I could fill in that blank...) which might effect some conclusions. But I can draw a conclusion based on the information I do have that we have a closer race and that unless any anomalies erupt that the next time Batman wins the total will be closer to this month's totals rather than the 2011-2012 Batman streak's total (we'll have to see if I'm right...)

#6 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

Also thought I should mention that Batman's one 1st place was extremely close (If I didn't edit my own 3rd place vote to that title to add 1pt it would have been a tie. I wasn't crazy about the issue, but I dislike 1st place ties more so I based my decision upon the Best comic total point totals). so that's another significant difference between now and before: we have a smaller win margin than before if I had to use part of my votes to tie break for that catagory.

#7 Edited by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind seeing Batman win! He's such a great comic character and I believe Snyder's run is pretty good and consistently good. Also, it's still the best selling comic at the moment. Personally I'm just tired of reading Batman and the New 52 in general. I picked up Detective Comics #30 last week and found it rather boring and disappointing despite Manapul's brilliant artwork hence I won't pick up another Batman comic anytime soon. As for DC, I may or may not check out Justice League United. If not, it's going to be only Green Arrow and Swamp Thing for me in the future.

Valiant -- I really hope they'll continue to release quality comics and will see more than 1% of market share. With SM: End of Times and Rai my pull list will have 5 Valiant titles/month by the end of April (before: 3). However, in March there had been so many good comics from other (independent) publishers, too, I couldn't give all my votes to Valiant.

Now, let's try to get Valiant winning some more awards! :D

Yup, lets invite some of the Valiant-crazy Viners at the end of this month and see if Rai #1 can claim the top spot. Best Writing, Best Cover, Best Art, Best Indie, Favorite Hero. Lots of categories where Rai could get many votes and points... and beat the Bat Man!

#8 Posted by EnigmaLantern (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting results, glad to see Moon Knight's new series get some praise because it was a good issue after all and I wouldn't be suprised if it got another mention in April's poll. Glad to see Green Arrow get a slowly increasing number of voters for a series that has been stellar since issue 17. Best of the Month poll threads never fail to give some interesting and great results.

Keep up the work @the_poet!

Also, how about "Best WTF Moment", "Best Splash Page", "Best Variant Cover", "Best Romance", or "Best Takedown"? Just throwing some out there :)

I'm definitely for these three topics, the other aren't a bad shout either.

If I had to pick one it would probably be "Best Variant Cover", but nice shout-outs on some ideas for the Wild Card category manneffest!

#9 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

My vote for wild card is "best new creative team"

#10 Edited by MannEffest (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@enigmalantern: Thanks Enigma! Just doing my duty as a voter. I'm down for any of those.

#11 Posted by time (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

Well from looking at the results, it looks like Marvel done quite well, with winning some of the categories. Glad to see the X-Men characters doing well. Kurt wining hero of the month, Kitty winning supporting character of the month. Not suprised Batman wining best comic of the month, he is the most popular comic vine character. The results seem pretty cool. I hope I can take part in April one.

#12 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

oh! right! wild card! I knew there was something I had forgotten...

@manneffest said:

I'm definitely for these three topics, the other aren't a bad shout either.

If I had to pick one it would probably be "Best Variant Cover", but nice shout-outs on some ideas for the Wild Card category manneffest!

I agree with enigmalantern. those are some great ideas, Manneffest (I didn't say that before though but I meant to). Personally, I would go with Best Splash page since I have some nice choices for that this month. However, Best Variant could be interesting as well...

If we had to pick between those two (Poet is just eliminating the others althought they are good...just to save time), which would you choose? I am giving the choice to someone else...either one works, so I could flip a coin if no one comments/decides for me.

#13 Edited by MannEffest (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to flip a coin myself and pick…

Best Splash Page.

We can do Best Variant Cover next month! :)

#14 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Splash Page.

works for me :) I look forward to voting in that catagory (and the next one)

#15 Posted by EnigmaLantern (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Splash Page.

Seconded!