Comic Vine Votes! - Best of the Month (JAN 2014) ***RESULTS***

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Back in 2011, the user known as @cosmo111687 posted the first Best of the Month Poll (September 2011). They hosted till December 2011 when they got busy and I took over the poll to post not only the December 2011 results but to host the Janaury 2012 poll.

Today, in 2014 I am happy to say I am still hosting this poll. It has been fun running this poll for the past couple years. I love hearing people's opinions and this poll is a great way to see what people like. It does take time to compile something like this (even though I've gotten it down to a science with my ready made spreadsheets), but I do love hosting. Last year I was away from the vine for a period of months and one of the things I really missed was the Best of the Month Poll.

BotM has grown from only having 5 categories to having 12 permanent categories and 1 wild card (not to mention a 13th trial permanent category). It has seen me go from being a user to being a mod, a fact which I think benefited this poll since now this poll is the longest running poll to be anchored to the forum feed.

So in conclusion, it gives me great pleasure to say: Welcome to the results of: Comic Vine Votes! - Best of the Month (JAN 2014)

We had 12 voters including:

• CEO_OF_FRESH
  • J_HickmanIsGod
  • Jonny_Anonymous
  • kilomac29
  • lifeboy
  • MadeinBangladesh
  • MannEffest
  • scouts1998
  • The Poet
  • TheFirstLantern
  • Transformers1024
  • V_Scarlotte_Rose

Now, let us get down to business, shall we?

Best Writing

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman #27
  2. Black Widow #1
  3. Amazing X-Men #3 / FF #16 (TIE)
  4. Pretty Deadly #4
  5. Avengers #25 / East of West #9 / Sex Criminals #4 / Superior Spider-Man #26 / Superman #27 / Swamp Thing #27 / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #30 (TIE)

Note: this is Batman's 15th non-consecutive 1st place win in the category of writing.

To see how other series stack up and to see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Writing of the Month

Best Cover Art

No Caption Provided
  1. Saga #18
  2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #30
  3. Batman #27 / Sex Criminals #1 4th Printing (TIE)
  4. FF #16 / Red Sonja #6 (TIE)
  5. Avengers #25 / Dead Boy Detectives #1 / Harley Quinn #2 / Pretty Deadly 4 / Uncanny X-Men #16 (TIE)

Note: this is Saga's second 1st place win in the category of Covers (last time it won was for #9 one year ago in Best of the Month ( Jan 2013).

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Cover Art of the Month

Best Interior Art

No Caption Provided
  1. Green Arrow #27
  2. Batman #27 / Guardians of the Galaxy #11 (TIE)
  3. Black Widow #1 / Pretty Deadly #4 (TIE)
  4. All-New X-Men #21 / Amazing X-men #3 / Justice League Dark #27 / Suicide Squad #27 / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #30 (TIE)
  5. [Less than 3 pts]

Note: This is Green Arrow's very first 1st place win in the category of interior art.

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Interior Art of the Month

Best Marvel Comics

No Caption Provided
  1. FF #16
  2. Amazing X-Men #3
  3. All-New X-Men #22 / Black Widow #1 / Daredevil #35 / Deadpool #22 / Superior Spider-Man #26 / X-Men: Legacy #2 (TIE)
  4. [Less than 3 pts]
  5. [Less than 3 pts]

Best DC Comics

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman #27
  2. Green Arrow #27
  3. Wonder Woman #27
  4. justice League #27
  5. Batman Beyond Universe #6 / Justice League Dark #27 / Red Hood and the Outlaws #27 / Superman #27 (TIE)

Best Indie Comic

No Caption Provided
  1. Saga #18
  2. Pretty Deadly #4
  3. Afterlife with Archie #3
  4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #30
  5. Red Sonja #6 / Sex Criminals #4 / Sheltered #6 / Velvet #3 (TIE)

Most Underrated Comic of the Month

No Caption Provided
  1. Pretty Deadly #4
  2. Amazing X-Men #3
  3. A Voice in the Dark #3 / All Star Western #27 / Avengers A.I. #8 / East of West #9 / Saga #18 / Superman #27 / Wonder Woman #27 (TIE)
  4. [Less than 3 pts]
  5. [Less than 3 pts]

Comic Vine's Male Hero of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Ant-Man(Scott Lang) - FF #16
  2. Cyborg - Justice League #27
  3. Daredevil - Daredevil #35
  4. Beast - Amazing X-Men #3 / Green Arrow- Green Arrow #27 / Leonardo - TMNT / Superman - Superman #27 / Thor- Thor: God of Thunder #18
  5. [Less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Female Hero of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman #27
  2. Black Widow - Black Widow #1 / Kate Bishop - Hawkeye #11 (TIE)
  3. Deathhead Ginny - Pretty Deadly / Ginny- Pretty Deadly 4 / PowerGirl - Suicide Squad #27 / Red Sonja - Red Sonja #6 / Spider-Girl - Avengers Assemble #23 (TIE)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Male Villain of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Death - Pretty Deadly #4
  2. Doctor Doom- FF #16 / Riddler - Batman #27 (TIE)
  3. Seeder - Swamp Thing #27
  4. Blight - Justice League Dark #27 / Deadpool – Deadpool 22 / Green Goblin - Superior Spider-Man #26 / LOBO - Supergirl #27 / Neegan - Walking Dead #120 (TIE)
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Female Villain of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Cassandra - Wonder Woman #27
  2. Big Alice - Pretty Deadly
  3. Locus - Justice League 3000 #2 / Queen Krystale - Samurai Jack #4 / Red Annisha - Red Sonja #6 / Tanalth The Pursuer - All-New Invaders #1 / Time police - Sex criminals #4 (TIE)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Supporting Character of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Commissioner Gordon - Batman #27
  2. Doom Patrol – Justice League #27
  3. All of the children- FF- 16 / Aloplex - TMNT / Angel - All-New X-men #22 / Dawn Greenwood - All-New Marvel Now! Point One / Michelangelo - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #30 / Skabgagg - Thor: God of Thunder #18
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Note: this is a category we are trying out

Comic Vine’s Wild Card: What We think/hope will be the Best Series of 2014!

No Caption Provided
  1. Moon Knight
  2. Captain Marvel / Justice League United / She Hulk / Silver Surfer / Wytches (TIE)
  3. Batman Beyond Universe / Masters of the Universe / Ms. Marvel / Punisher / Saga / Velvet (TIE)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Normally I don't include the votes which are less than 3pts, but as this is predicting the future I thought a complete list would be fun so here are all the titles nominated.

• Amazing Spider Man
  • Amazing X-Men
  • Batman Beyond Universe
  • Captain Marvel
  • Dead Boy Detectives
  • Fatale
  • Green Arrow
  • Iron Fist: Living Weapon - Kaare Andrews
  • Justice League United
  • Low
  • Masters of the Universe
  • Moon Knight
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Pandora
  • Pretty Deadly
  • Punisher
  • Saga
  • She Hulk
  • Silver Surfer
  • Superboy
  • The Fade Out
  • Velvet
  • Wytches

Care to make a prediction yourself on what you think? Comment below!

Comic Vine's Best Comic of The Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman #27 with 30 pts and 2 first place wins
  2. Green Arrow #27 with 24 pts and 1 first place win
  3. FF #16 with 20 pts and 1 first place win
  4. Amazing X-Men #3 with 17 pts / Saga #18 with 17 pts and 1 first place win
  5. Black Widow #1 with 16 pts
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@ceo_of_fresh@j_hickmanisgod@jonny_anonymous@kilomac29@lifeboy@madeinbangladesh@manneffest@scouts1998@thefirstlantern@transformers1024@v_scarlotte_rose boy, you know, I think I spent more time adding pictures than I did compiling (I'm going to be so glad when they fix the search function...thank goodness there is a "search via url" or I would be saving/uploading like I did when I first started and that took FOREVER)

but anyway...thanks for voting! These are the results!

two things:

1. let me know what you think about the supporting characters catagory. It is on a trial period of this month and next and then I'll let you guys vote.
  2. Normally, I let you guys decide the wild card for next month will be, but I want to give you guys more than one option so I'll take someone's suggestion of Best Team for next month's wild card and then I'll let you guys vote for what you want to see permanently in the poll (that is if you want something new...)

So huzzah!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

cool to see some of the comics I voted for win

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Good so see Saga getting some attention. Can't believe Afterlife with Archie beat TMNT.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By lifeboy

I want to know what @razzatazz likes reading :)

Also, I wish that harley quinn made the best villainess. I thought it was so funny the way the memers of the suicide squad all had the same fantasy about strangling her when they escape from the bottom of the mountain she collapsed on them. Her big smile as they were choking her. Lol

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Good so see Saga getting some attention. Can't believe Afterlife with Archie beat TMNT.

I thought afterlife's artwork was very well done (very unique).

Of course, I can't say the result was that suprising to me. we haven't seen that much of TMNT in the past results. clearly with k4's threads we have fans but the series just hasn't had the same presence here as much (at least thinking back to past results).

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@lifeboy said:

I want to know what @razzatazz likes reading :)

Also, I wish that harley quinn made the best villainess. I thought it was so funny the way they all had the same fantasy about strangling her when they escape from the bottom of the mountain she collapsed on them. Her big smile as they were choking her. Lol

yeah what DOES @razzatazz like reading? :-)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@lifeboy: I am not reading as much as I once did, and so my picks every month would be pretty much the same, which would skew the results a bit I think ;)

I read a fair bit of Zenescope, Dynamite and Image with a few DC titles and the occasional Marvel.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By MannEffest

Although I'm not usually on board with Batman's constant winning Best Writing, I am totally on board with this issue taking the prize! I felt that the first half of the comic could be entered in and still deserve to win. The characterization of Gordon and Alfred in this issue were just fantastic. And I love this new Supporting Character placement, I've been feeling some time that the supporting players needed more of a spotlight! :D Keep it up!!

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz:

Oh cr@p!! Their she is!

BEHOLD, the RAZZATAZZ!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's so great about that cover of the cat with a bloody mouth? I dont understand art nowadays...

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Woo! Moon Knight. I was surprised by that tidbit about Saga only winning best cover twice, they generally skew toward pretty great.

I dig the supporting character category. Pretty bummed that my guy, Skabgagg, didn't lap the field though (R.I.P. Skabgagg)

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@the_poet With supporting characters most supporting characters are in the book every month so we won't get a decent range of characters winning it. Also i liked how you said that batman has won for the 15th time and stuff like that.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Dammit Batman won! It doesn't deserve it!

YAY for Moon Knight!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@razzatazz: if your votes skew the results...I'd like to know what mine do haha.

I mean I have to tweak some of my 1pt votes sometimes to keep the 1st place results untied (which is perfectly legal considering anyone could count votes, but that still means I effect the results)

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@scouts1998 said:

@the_poet With supporting characters most supporting characters are in the book every month so we won't get a decent range of characters winning it. Also i liked how you said that batman has won for the 15th time and stuff like that.

Yeah. I am quizical on the whole Supporting catagory. It certianly has a variety looking at the full votes on my spreadsheet, but there doesn't appear to be enough similarities to be a sustainable catagory (I mean, look at the results this month: only Gordon and Doom Patrol had more than 3pts. that means only two characters were voted for by more than one person...and one of those is a team).

My personal opinions aside, I will let this catagory go for another month and then have you guys vote for what you want. Personally, if we actually want a permanet catagory I would say teams would be sustainable since everyone can vote for teams no matter what title you vote for (that's why I am going to be doing that as a wild card next month for you guys to compare). I agree with you there won't be a large group of usual winners (I suspect it will be kind of like F. Heroes with Wonder Woman and others swapping out every few months...not enough variety to be intersting. I agree with some of the other users here that it would be nice to have a place to honor the characters in the back ground, but as host I don't know how sustainable it would be).

I hope to at some point have lists for all of the catagories (minus wild card since that is irratic) and thus have more trivia like that, but I need to finish a personal project I have been working on for a while...that and lists are buggy right now (can't save these results to the three lists I have...)

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: I'm just kidding with you razzatazz, you know I love you :) but me and you could totally put Dejah Thoris on the "best of list" and give her the proper respect she deserves as one of the best ongoing in comics... :)

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

My name appeared first Ha, But I kid. I really like this voting appearance, I didn't even know this was done each month. And Pretty Deadly and Saga are getting some press and that's awesome!

yeah, the BotM starts at the last new comic book day of the month and runs till the next wednesday. Hope to see you vote again this month between Feb 26 - March 5

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy said:

@razzatazz: I'm just kidding with you razzatazz, you know I love you :) but me and you could totally put Dejah Thoris on the "best of list" and give her the proper respect she deserves as one of the best ongoing in comics... :)

Oh yeah it is a pretty fun series :)

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By TheFirstLantern

its the first issue of zero year i really enjoyed

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The Poet  Moderator

yeah, I definitely agree. They lost my interest a couple issues into it, but I have been sticking it out because I'm amused to see what they do with Riddler. I thought the other issues didn't have a lot of focus (too many things happenings), but this issue seemed a little more organized.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By EnigmaLantern

Happy 2nd anniversary doing these polls @the_poet, I look forward to seeing them every month!

I'm only frustrated that I completely forgot to put in my vote but I agree with most category winners!

Loving the supporting character catgeory, great idea and concept!

For the wild card I agree with what a lot of people suggested, surprised not to see Sinestro up there, I would of put him there if I had remembered to vote... His title looks like it has alot of potential, hopefully the creative team will do justice because if they do, it could be both the best lantern title and one of the best all-round titles.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_poet said:

@thefirstlantern said:

yeah, I definitely agree. They lost my interest a couple issues into it, but I have been sticking it out because I'm amused to see what they do with Riddler. I thought the other issues didn't have a lot of focus (too many things happenings), but this issue seemed a little more organized.

I thought Gordon's backstory was very well written and that was basically what turned this issue around for me.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not too crazy about that Saga art. But most of the other choices are great.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BATMAN!