Comic Vine Votes! - Best of the Month (FEB 2014) ***RESULTS***

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Welcome to the Best of the Month Poll where voters decide what is the best of the month! Today, I bring you the results of:Comic Vine Votes! - Best of the Month (FEB 2014)

We had 9 voters including:

• EnigmaLantern
  • kilomac29
  • lifeboy
  • MadeinBangladesh
  • MannEffest
  • scouts1998
  • The Poet
  • Transformers1024
  • V_Scarlotte_Rose

Now, let’s get down to business, shall we?

Best Writing

No Caption Provided
  1. The Wake #6
  2. Amazing X-Men #4
  3. Daredevil #36 / Green Arrow #28 / Hawkeye #15 / Ms. Marvel #1 / She-Hulk #1 / The Bunker #1 / Trillium #6 (tie)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Note: This is The Wake's first 1st place win in this category.

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Writing of the Month

Best Cover Art

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman #28
  2. Green Arrow #28
  3. Action Comics #28
  4. A Voice in the Dark #4 / Batman/Superman #8 / She-Hulk #1 / Wonder Woman #28 (tie)
  5. [less than 3pts]

Note: This is Batman's 6th nonconsecutive win in this category (last time was for #15). Only Batwoman has a higher record with 7 wins.

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Cover Art of the Month

Best Interior Art

No Caption Provided
  1. Green Arrow #28
  2. Hawkeye #15
  3. Uncanny Avengers #17
  4. Amazing X-men #4 / New Avengers #14 / Phantom Stranger #16 (tie)
  5. [less than 3pts]

Note: This is Green Arrow's second 1st place win in this category (the first time was last month). We will have to see if it continues this winning streak next month or if another wins.

To see the past results of this category check out: Comic Vine Votes - Best Interior Art of the Month

Best Marvel Comics

No Caption Provided
  1. She-Hulk #1
  2. Ms. Marvel #1
  3. Amazing X-Men #4 / Daredevil #36 (TIE)
  4. All-New X-Men #23 / Fantastic Four / Hawkeye #15 / Thor God of Thunder #19 (Tie)
  5. [less than 3pts]

Best DC Comics

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman #28
  2. Forever Evil #5
  3. Batman Beyond Universe #7 / Forever Evil: Arkham War #5 / Green Arrow #28 / Justice League #28 / Justice League #28 / Justice League Dark #28 / Red Hood and the Outlaws 28 / Forever Evil: Rogue's Rebellion #5 / Supergirl #28 (TIE)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Best Indie Comic

No Caption Provided
  1. The Wake #6
  2. Trillium #6
  3. Dead Boy Detectives #3 / Deadly Class #2 / Miss Fury #9 (TIE)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Most Underrated Comic of the Month

No Caption Provided
  1. She-Hulk #1
  2. A Voice in the Dark #4 / Amazing X-men #4 / Avenger's World #3 / Green Arrow #28 / Miss Fury #9 / Red Hood and the Outlaws 28 / The Wake #6
  3. [less than 3pts]
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Male Hero of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Nightcrawler - Amazing X-Men #4

and an 8-way tie for 2nd place (all have 3 pts)

• Batman - Batman #28
  • Captain America - Uncanny Avengers #17
  • Deadpool - Deadpool #24
  • Jason Todd (RHATO 28)
  • Jonah Hex - All Star Western #28
  • Phantom Stranger - Phantom Stranger #16
  • Superman - Action Comics #28
  • Thor Odinson - Thor God of Thunder #19

Comic Vine's Female Hero of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. She-Hulk - She-Hulk #1
  2. Leeward - the Wake #6
  3. Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman #28
  4. Forever Carlyle - Lazarus #6 / Kamala Khan - Ms. Marvel #1 / Miss Fury - Miss Fury #9 / Roz Solomon - Thor God of Thunder #19 / Starfire - RHATO 28 (tie)
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Male Villain of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Sinestro - Forever Evil #5
  2. Green Goblin - Superior Spider-Man #27 / The First Born - Wonder Woman #28 (tie)
  3. Agent Gorman - Deadpool #23 and #24 / Aku - Samurai Jack #5 / Felix Faust - Constantine #11 / Grim Reaper - Uncanny Avengers #17 (tie)
  4. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Female Villain of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Faora - Superman Wonder Woman #5
  2. Catwoman - Batman #28
  3. Catwoman - Batwoman #28 / Harley Quinn - Harley Quinn #3 / Madame Hydra - Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #1 / Tanalth The Pursuer - All-New Invaders #2 (Tie)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Supporting Character of the Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Iceman - All-New X-Men #23
  2. Foggy - Daredevil #36
  3. Alicia Masters - Fantastic Four #1 / Capucine - Swamp Thing #28 / Roz Solomon - Thor God of Thunder #19 / Shade, the Changing Man - Constantine #11 / Zox - Red Lanterns #28 (tie)
  4. [less than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine’s Wild Card of the Month: Best Team!

No Caption Provided
  1. Metal Men - Justice League #28
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy - GotG #12
  3. Arthur/ Mera - Aquaman #28 / Mighty Avengers - Mighty Avengers #6 / New Mutants - Uncanny X-Men #17 / Quantum & Woody - Quantum & Woody #8 /
  4. [than 3pts]
  5. [less than 3pts]

Comic Vine's Best Comic of The Month!

No Caption Provided
  1. Green Arrow #28 with 24 points and one 1st place win
  2. The Wake #6 with 19 points and two 1st place wins
  3. She-Hulk #1 with 17 points and two 1st place wins
  4. Amazing X-Men #4 with 16 points
  5. Batman #28 with 15 points and two 1st place wins
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@enigmalantern@kilomac29@lifeboy@madeinbangladesh@manneffest@scouts1998@transformers1024@v_scarlotte_rose thanks for voting guys!

two things I should mention: @transformers1024 suggested we should do "most overrated comic". what do you think? what would you like to see as a Wild card?

However, more importantly is the new permanent category, so I need you to voice your opinion. Do you want:

1. Supporting Character as new permanent category
  2. Best Team as the new permanent category
  3. a revolving version of both
  4. or none of the above?

Based on my own observations: Supporting is slightly consistent in the number of votes but it isn't a strong catagory (meaning it I won't likely have a full top 5). Teams is also consistent but sometimes it doesn't have actual teams (meaning in archieve of the complete results I couldn't make a CV list to show results which isn't a major problem). Revolving it would be alright, although I'm not crazy about it because I couldn't just copy my voting thread template each month (I would have to change that every month and keep track of which one we were doing). Just voices problems each category might have for your consideration. Suggestions are welcome.

Nobody has said we abolutely need a new category, but I thought I should offer the opportunity to voice what you want in this poll. I'm fine either way.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

That 'Best Cover' is better than last months of the cat with the bloody mouth. Lol

I like 'Best Team' and 'Best supporting Character'. It is as you say, that you get too broad a range of characters but I would rather have them in than not have them at all.

Hey! Since when is Mera and Arthur not a team? Marriage is the ultimate team-up! Lol

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh forgot, 'Most over Rated' comic sounds fine to me.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The Poet  Moderator

@lifeboy: I actually kind of liked the cat more than the random prison which is only slightly similar to the egyptian safe which appears in that book...but I digress...

so you would be in favor of a rotating catagory? I mean in addition to wild card?

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I think I'm going to call shenanigans on She-Hulk as "most underrated comic." It was pretty highly rated in every category. :)

I like supporting character as a permanent category. Its seems like a great place to vote for the characters you love who weren't necessarily featured in the book.

I'm not a huge fan of a "most overrated comic" category, just seems kind of negative.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@kilomac29: Just out of curiosity what do you think about the category of best teams? (I ask to give sides to the issue like we should do one category over the other).

as for "most overrated comic", I agree with you. I'm crazy about negative categories (it was just suggested so I thought I should mention it so people know I listen to suggestions...). A thought just occurred to me: what about a wild card dedicated to "if you could be any comic book character in any comic who would you be?" or something like that. I'm just spit-balling till we decide what category should be done next month.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@the_poet: I like idea of having the revolving poll of best team and best supporting character. Would be a great way to keep the polls somewhat fresh with familiar topics.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I also think that for 'most overrated comic' we should do every 5-7 months if it gets voted in. Wouldn't be to much fun to do it every month /:

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The Poet  Moderator

I also think that for 'most overrated comic' we should do every 5-7 months if it gets voted in. Wouldn't be to much fun to do it every month /:

Let me clarify since you just joined us. Normally the whole last category in the voting thread is a revolving one; it doesn't stay the same; it changes each month depending on what users want to see (that's something we normally decide in this thread). Overrated (if a good number agree or I make a decision) would be March's Wild card and then in march's result we will decide April and so on...

So the whole flip flop of Supporting characters/Teams is not necessary since we already have a rotating category. It's more what people want to see. There was one or two users who previously expressed interest in adding a new category (and they wanted supporting) so that's why this past month we had Supporting as a wild card and a trial category with teams as wild card this month to give another option. I'm just not convinced the flip floping is necessary. I'd personally prefer a singular cataogry if we decide it is nessary to add a 14th category, but as you can sort of see I try to give what the voters want.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#10  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Wooo Green Arrow!! Take that Batman! and who the hell voted for SHe Hulk as #1? That comic is just on its #1 and no way was it underrated.

3. Rotate between the two.

@lifeboy said:

Oh forgot, 'Most over Rated' comic sounds fine to me.

We do need a most overrated comic category so I can vote Batman every month, but that will just give it more points.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Great and very interesting results

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The Poet  Moderator

@madeinbangladesh: you know, if we made the wild card of 'Most over Rated' permanent I could add that catagory's votes to the "Best comic of the month" compilation result like underrated

so , thus you would not only be voting for Batman being overrated but also voting Batman to be Best comic of the month :P

boy, that would be a vicious cycle haha

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@the_poet said:

@madeinbangladesh: you know, if we made the wild card of 'Most over Rated' permanent I could add that catagory's votes to the "Best comic of the month" compilation result like underrated

so , thus you would not only be voting for Batman being overrated but also voting Batman to be Best comic of the month :P

boy, that would be a vicious cycle haha

ok why not? make it Permanent!

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kilomac29

@the_poet: Best team would work just as well. But, I think you mentioned it in an earlier comment, and I brought it up last month that team books often don't have the teams together for several issues which could make it a difficult category month-to-month.

The "which comic character would you like to be" type of categories might be kind of difficult on your end. It seems like a category where you might get nine different answers from nine different voters. Might have to limit the range of characters to make something like that work, but what do I know.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The Poet  Moderator

@kilomac29: I'm just spitballing ideas till we get one we like. Nothing is catching my attention. what about "Series that should be on everyone's pull list"? Again just throwing out ideas in the hope they spark the theme for next month's wild card.

I am there with you on best team. I was concerned on how Supporting would be results wise (one of the arguements against supporting was that it would be all the same as the result the first time was James Gordon, but as Gordon is nowhere to be seen this month I would say it is not all the same). That was reason I added Team to the mix to give a little competition...

I guess what I need to hear in order me to make the final decision on the matter of the permanent catagory is arguements from people like @madeinbangladesh@transformers1024@lifeboy who have said they wouldn't mind it as a flip floper catagory. I previously expressed my opinion on flip/flopping (don't like changing my template a lot other than for wild cards but I suppose I'd do it if it was wanted). I'm a little unclear on why we should flip flop from supporting and teams. Are you guys just having trouble deciding between the two? or why do you say we should flip flop it? And also in general: do you think we need a new category? Just want to know what your thoughts are.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_poet: let me think about it for a day so I can collect my thoughts on it. Lol

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The Poet  Moderator

@lifeboy: we have two weeks till Best of the Month of March so we have plenty of time to think it over

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_poet: I like the 'best supporting' category. I understand that the nominations can be all over the place with that. I would still like to see it as maybe 'standout supporting character' so that a 'best' (with 2plus votes) isn't necessary. All the results can just be put at the bottom for everyone to view. The character can get their recognition and if the reader likes that character, they can know where to view that appearance that they may have been unaware of. So yes I would like to see this as a permanent category either as 'best supporting' or as a permanent optional addition to the ballot.

As for the 'best team': its a fun category. I don't know how important it is or if it is worth extending the ballot, but it is fun to post. So I would have to say no on that. Just due to ballot size.

But i think that by far, the best thing i can say is, maybe we don't have to commit right away. Lets give it til mid-summer, and then we can see if there can be an on-going interest in the categories.

Sorry for all the typos; im on a webphone.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I'm okay with whatever really, I like both Best Supporting and Best Team. The idea of rotating is a very nifty concept, which I'm down for! If we could only keep one though I would choose Best Supporting Character, there are just so many darn cool characters! :D

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_poet: If nothing grabs you, don't change it. I'm not sure of the reason for the flip/flop either but the best part of starting a poll is that you get to make the rules. So you can decide not to change the categories month-to-month

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Very interesting results to see, as always! Very glad to see Green Arrow up there as the Best Of The Month, the series is brilliant and really doesn't get the praise, or number of followers (sale-wise), that it should/deserves.

@the_poet I'm happy to make a contribution to best of the month polls, I'm always interested to vote and check out the results. Best Supporting Character for me is a great category to add and I'm all for it. I find it better and more applicable than Best Team, only because Best Supporting Character gives viners a chance to give a shoutout about a character who they enjoyed in an issue/series but doesn't necessarily count as either villain or hero in the book and is better categorised as a supporting character. Most overrated sounds a bit too much like it's a type of a negative "award", as someone else pointed out, and I don't think it would apply as much as all the other categories which are all of a more positive note. Not sure if that made sense but oh well...

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

I'm okay with whatever really, I like both Best Supporting and Best Team. The idea of rotating is a very nifty concept, which I'm down for! If we could only keep one though I would choose Best Supporting Character, there are just so many darn cool characters! :D

@the_poet: If nothing grabs you, don't change it. I'm not sure of the reason for the flip/flop either but the best part of starting a poll is that you get to make the rules. So you can decide not to change the categories month-to-month

If no one complains I think I want to eliminate the option of flip floping the category. It would just be too much effort on my part (compiling stuff for the archieve would be easy but more of a pain plus I want to do lists and I'm not sure how I'd do that if I flip floped...)

@enigmalantern@lifeboy (and everyone else) What I'm thinking is that since there is a lot of support for Supporting I will add it to poll. Tweaking lifeboy's suggestion, I think sometime mid summer I personally will do an evaluation of the catagory from a host/compiler's perspective. If I see it is not doing well, I may remove it but as of now (again, unless someone is totally against it which I haven't heard anything) I will add it to the poll. Might be an interesting addition.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The Poet  Moderator

Very interesting results to see, as always! Very glad to see Green Arrow up there as the Best Of The Month, the series is brilliant and really doesn't get the praise, or number of followers (sale-wise), that it should/deserves.

@the_poet I'm happy to make a contribution to best of the month polls, I'm always interested to vote and check out the results. Best Supporting Character for me is a great category to add and I'm all for it. I find it better and more applicable than Best Team, only because Best Supporting Character gives viners a chance to give a shoutout about a character who they enjoyed in an issue/series but doesn't necessarily count as either villain or hero in the book and is better categorised as a supporting character. Most overrated sounds a bit too much like it's a type of a negative "award", as someone else pointed out, and I don't think it would apply as much as all the other categories which are all of a more positive note. Not sure if that made sense but oh well...

yeah, it was suggested so I mentioned it, but I also am not crazy about it (seeing as this is the Best of the Month). Have any ideas for what we might do instead? what do you think of "Series that should be on everyone's pull list" as next month's wildcard?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

I really wanted to leave my votes but couldn't find the time. Green Arrow would have gotten a few more points from my side, too. It's good to see this book winning the Best of the Month poll again. It's been such a brilliant book ever since Lemire & Sorrentino have been the creative team!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wild card discussion - I like the old format of random wild cards chosen by the previous month's winner/s but I guess this was too much work for you.

Best Supporting Character vs. Best Team - I think these two, as permanent categories, would be nice additions and complete the list (Heroes, Villains, Support, Team) perfectly.

@the_poet said:
And also in general: do you think we need a new category? Just want to know what your thoughts are.

From all previous wild cards the one I like the most is Best Cliffhanger/Ending? Another one from the list of potential wild cards that we never used and voted for is Best Splash Page. Last not least one I'd really like to vote for every single month would be Worst Cover of the Month. Do you really want to get rid of the random wild card? There's too many interesting categories... ;)

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@the_poet said:

@enigmalantern said:

yeah, it was suggested so I mentioned it, but I also am not crazy about it (seeing as this is the Best of the Month). Have any ideas for what we might do instead? what do you think of "Series that should be on everyone's pull list" as next month's wildcard?

That sounds great! Adding a category where viners suggest other viners kind of what their pick of the week would be is pretty awesome, certainly different from all the other categories. I'd definitely recommend a "Series that should be on everyone's pull list" or "Best picks of the month that should be pull-lists"

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The Poet  Moderator

@donfelipe: oh, you misunderstand me. we aren't going to replace wild card (that's my favorate catagory because it was my addition to this poll). we are just going to do what we did this month and add an aditional catagory (or keep like what we did this month and I was asking what people wanted and one of the things which was suggested a flip flop between supporting and teams, but I don't like THAT flip flopping. Wild card is safe but I wouldn't want to keep track of a catagory which flipped between two topics). I think I've kind of decided I'll see how Supporting does.

but there is no risk to the future of Wild Cards

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_poet That's good news because I like the Wild Cards, too. As for the flip flopping between supporting and team, it would be almost like switching between male and female or hero and villain. There's enough appearances of both supporting characters and teams every month so both categories should be included. Of course it depends on your end. How much extra work it would be for you to compile all the categories for the results and archive.

Now I'm really looking forward to joining this poll again at the end of this month.

Frankie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one with Faora in Superman was so great.