Comic Vine Question of the Week VOTING: Why Do You Love 1989's Batman Movie?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Question of the Week VOTING: Why Do You Love 1989's Batman Movie? (181 votes)

The cast 23%
The script 8%
The tone 33%
The action 2%
The music 13%
The costume designs 2%
Sorry, I don't love the movie 21%

Tim Burton's first Batman movie turned 25 the other day, and the event is most definitely something worth celebrating. This classic comic book movie brought Gotham City to life and portrayed the Caped Crusader as a dark and formidable figure. The first time he says "I'm Batman" is simply unforgettable. So yes, it's a slight change from Adam West's Batman! Burton's first film immerse viewers in this gritty version of Gotham and boosted the hero's popularity. We all have different reasons for enjoying the movie, and this week, we want to see what those reasons are! Did you love the movie because of the memorable cast? Maybe the dialogue or action won you over? Or perhaps the score is what made you adore the film? And yes, there's an option for the (hopefully very few) people who don't appreciate the movie.

Don't worry, there's no need to vote just yet. The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so that should give you some time to watch the movie again. And if you haven't seen the movie, hopefully this will motivate you to finally check it out. Now, it's time to enjoy reflecting on this very awesome film!

Feel free to share future question ideas in the comments below or via Twitter. Love Batman movies? Well, you should also visit our latest edition of "Favorite Animated Movies." It's between Under the Red Hood and Mask of the Phantasm. Click here to check it out!

• 
Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gracetrack

Love this movie. Just watched it again last week. Probably my favorite Batman movie after Batman Begins. It just oozes atmosphere and fun, man. Gotta love that soundtrack too.

EDIT: Oh, and Jack Nicholson. Nuff said.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Jack Nicolson as a variant, so I'l vote that I don't like the movie.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

No Jack Nicolson as a variant, so I'l vote that I don't like the movie.

...."the cast"?

nigravirum1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta be honest and say that I'm all about the music in the movie hahaha xD

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Jack Nicholson is the only thing I like about the movie. So..cast...I guess?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Gotta be honest and say that I'm all about the music in the movie hahaha xD

Loading Video...

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dedpool

Actually, the only thing I really love after all these years is Jack as the Joker. Keaton is ok as Bruce, and Bats, but it was jack that stole the show!!! "THIS TOWN NEEDS AN ENEMA!!!" That and the music!!! Prince's soundtrack rocked! and Danny Elfman's score was and still is amazing and the basis of so many batman themes.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in this from another angle: why DO you love Batman '89? It bastardizes the character. I understand times were different then, and standards were different then, but having been born in '86 and seeing it early in life yet not having the reverence for it that some people do, I just don't get the love.

Batman kills! Alfred lets a JOURNALIST into the batcave! Joker kills Bruce's parents! I believe Bruce's dad is not named Thomas, if I recall correctly?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Sorry, I don't love the movie 27%

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

THE MUSIC!!!!!!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Sorry, but as I didn't grow up watching these, I tend to rate them by modern stadards... where they suck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most important thing about the movie to me isn't a choice:

It's responsible for the creation of the DCAU.

RustyGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

The Danny Elfman soundtrack is GOAT for a superhero flick and for some cosmically strange reason the Prince songs go right along with it.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two Tim Burton bats movies are my favorite incarnation of Bats ever

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I liked that it was different. A deviation in tone and writing from most interpretations of Gotham. If every film series portrayed Gotham and Batman in the same way, then they'd all blend together. I appreciate how unique Batman and Batman Returns were.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but as I didn't grow up watching these, I tend to rate them by modern stadards... where they suck.

Whose "modern standards" are you using?

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Oscuro

I loved everything about the movie. Even though they took some serious liberties I don't really care.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love tHis movie because it debut on tHe day of my birtH. 3 Hours after it's MidnigHt sHowing I was born. Top tHat ya batmites.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I enjoy the movie alot but I don't love it.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VoloErgoMalus
@outside_85 said:

Where does Batman '89 fail to meet your standards?

If I could pick art direction, I would. Tone it is.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAZAHS117

I actually love everything about that movie. It was one of the first (if not THE first) comicbook movie I saw in the theater when I was a kid. Most people will say it's kind of silly in comparison to Nolans take on Batman, but i guess it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. Still my favorite Bat costume, Batmobile and Nicholsons' Joker was/is an iconic performance.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whose standards would those be? 'coz they ain't full of soulless CGI sh**?!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I actually just rewatched this last week. What I really love about the film is the set design and backgrounds. The statues outside city hall, the huge vents in the museum, flying buttresses on every other building. It's like a gothic art deco feast for the eyes. Gotham City is my favorite character in the movie.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

It introduced the grapnel gun

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@longbowhunter said:

I actually just rewatched this last week. What I really love about the film is the set design and backgrounds. The statues outside city hall, the huge vents in the museum, flying buttresses on every other building. It's like a gothic art deco feast for the eyes. Gotham City is my favorite character in the movie.

Well said. The art deco aspect was really emphasized in BTAS, too.

@amazingwebhead said:

It introduced the grapnel gun

No way.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bloggerboy
@outside_85 said:

How does the movie suck though?

I personally think the '89 Batman is a classic with memorable scenes, lines and terrific casting and characters. The look and tone solidify it as a gem for me.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

The casting was great, Jack joker was awesome and Keaton is a great Bruce Wayne and pretty good Batman. Music was awesome. Setting with the dark, elaborate, gothic Gotham was spot on. Tone, everything was great. If I had to narrow it down to just one, I'll go with cast. The best written film can turn into a sh*t show with the wrong castings, and a mediocre film can become great due to an actor's energy and dedication to a role.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@darthmummy: If Tim Burton's movie defined the look of Gotham, Bruce Timm refined and perfected it.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Mucklefluga

Definitely the score, I actually reviewed this movie with a mate on a podcast a few weeks ago...

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That movie was a dream come true.not only did it bring batman Back to the big screen but prince is my favorite anything ever in life And to merge those 2 was mind blowing. and the way his songs were placed in the movie worked so well. but honestly Jack Nicholson as the Joker was freaking genius

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

picked tone

wanted to vote everything

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where does Batman '89 fail to meet your standards?

Aesthetically, acting wise save for one notable exception, handling of the source material, make-up, scenery... back then it was probably as great as people today make it out to be, but look at it today without a pair of nostalgia goggles on and you get a rather different experience.

whose standards would those be? 'coz they ain't full of soulless CGI sh**?!

You don't appear to have watched any of the last three Batman movies.

How does the movie suck though?

I personally think the '89 Batman is a classic with memorable scenes, lines and terrific casting and characters. The look and tone solidify it as a gem for me.

It's a gem in the sense that it pushed Batman in the darker direction in movies along with what happened in comics at the time instead of continuing with the goofy tone of the Adam West show.

Now before anyone gets more worked up about this more than they are my point is, and has always been:

• Batman was probably a great watch in 1989
  • But our calendar today reads 2014, 25 years have passed and things have changed
G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This film is everything that I want from a Batman movie. The cast, well, Michael Keaton is a perfect Bruce Wayne, he looks unassuming and normal and comes across as a troubled quiet man without being too brooding. Jack Nicholson is the ultimate Joker. He gives it the perfect amount of psychotic and clownishness in unison to make the Joker from the comics come to life, with all the lethal clown toys to boot. Gleeful with his killing and dancing around to prince songs, he is just so entertaining. Granted, we didn't get much of a Jim Gordon, but I don't miss him with the rest of the cast being so good. Michael Gough as Alfred is perfect and he was the quintessential English butler. I even loved Bob the goon.

Tim Burton nailed the feel of the Batman, and he was the herald of the Nolan films. Without Burton making Batman darker and in a Gothic setting, do you think the Pitch for Batman Begins would have been accepted? The costumes were exactly right for the tone of the movie, with the jokers bright orange shirt and purple tartan trousers clashing perfectly with the black batsuit (although it was a bit too ridged).

All of that combined with the most accurate Batman portrayal showcasing his detective skill along with his ability to fight legions of goons, and an awesome batmobile, both in looks and gadgets, and his own utility belt! Even the Joker gives a compliment about his wonderful toys. I love this movie and it will always hold a special place in my heart alongside Flash Gordon as epic 80's fare that will never be beaten.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batmobile and batsuit from these movies are my favorite ever. F the tumbler.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dimitridkatsis

Man I can't believe how kids deny the quality of the movie counting only in effects and action. Burton's style is perfect for Batman and what about the casting? At leats Keaton can look and sound scary without sounding like he's taking a sh?t.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: .... He ain't the only actor, right?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: .... He ain't the only actor, right?

NO WAI.

The point remains. If Jack Nicholson is what you love about the movie, why not give your vote to "the cast"? Do you dislike the other roles so much that it takes away from his performance?

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Jayso4201

I was seven years old when this movie came out and it absolutely changed my life and made me the obsessed comic fanboy I am today. I'm pretty sure I saw it at least three times while it was in the theaters and countless times since (I just watched it the other day on BBC America with my kids). I can still quote the movie from beginning to end. You ask why I love this movie and expect us to choose from only one reason. Impossible. This movie changed it all. It changed the way super-hero movies were viewed by the general populace and in my opinion they are still trying to reproduce the success of this movie.

Everything in this movie was brilliant, from the larger roles like Keaton and Nicholson to the smaller ones like Whul and Billy Dee the acting was great. Gough set the standard for what Alfred should be and kept his job throughout the entire series. The story was awesome and was very well directed by a then lesser known Burton, it made him famous and secured his status in Hollywood for years to come. The dark tone of the movie was incredible, such a far departure from what West did in the 60's. If I'm not mistaken a lot of this was lifted from what Miller was doing at the time as well as The Killing Joke and you can tell, from the moment Batman finds Jack on the catwalk to their confrontation in Vale's apartment it full of climactic and awesome scenes. My only gripe being how Gordon was portrayed as a bumbling oaf, not the Jim Gordon I know of.

Overall this movie made going to the movies fun, it made me pick up comic books, it made me the collector I am today. If it wasn't for this film I have no idea who I would have been. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe bad, either way it is a classic that we will still be talking about in another 25 years.

joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Hate this movie. I Hate Tim Burton. I Hate every Batman movie before Nolan. And I'm not sorry.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really somewhat despise this movie. It's a stronger opinion than is warranted, because it certainly isn't that bad of a movie. I'm too young to appreciate the influence this movie had on the industry and the changes that followed although I can respect it for that - but as a Batman fan...it gets no love from me.

Why? Well, it's because of this version of Batman. This Batman kills people*. This Bruce Wayne is a hermit weirdo. All of this is a valid take and arguably a tribute to the original incarnation of the character. But, it's not the Batman I came to love, and that's why I don't like the movie.

The Batman I love is a genius. Batman is Batman because of his mind. Batman has multiple degrees useful in concocting antidotes or whatever, is a master detective, master martial artist and still balances keeping up appearances as a playboy Bruce Wayne. he isn't crazy, although he is close to snapping constantly and has to hold himself back. And he does. He also never kills. He holds himself to a high moral code, and has a code. He follows this code, always. That's why it is not only entertaining, and inspiring to see him always find a solution that does not involve killing, even when it shouldn't be possible. It's always important to try, and you might just succeed, saving lives in the process.

That Batman has yet to be seen on live action in a blockbuster film. Burton's Batman was a reclusive weirdo who killed. The Schumacher iteration was just an exaggerated version of that. Bale's Batman is close in many ways, but lacks the intellect to solve crimes or invent things, relying on his support staff or technology. He also has no problem killing.

Compare The Batman of TAS or the other DCAU movies to this Batman, and it becomes clear all that is wrong. Not to mention this iteration of Joker is...just Jack Nicholson. Joker is one of the most fascinating characters in comics, and he has been reduced to nothing more than a clown. That's it. It's not entertaining to me to see a guy in white makeup in a purple suit dancing badly to Prince. That isn't scary, not in the least. Joker should be frightening.

In my mind, this film has no redeeming qualities, except maybe as a tribute to earlier iterations of Batman.

*The same people who dispute this Batman kills people also probably don't understand Batman killed Ra's in BB. With the warehouse explosion, the Batwing firing a machine gun killing people, and deliberalty murdering Joker with the gargoyle...yes, this Batman kills.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

23% for "Sorry, I don't like this movie"? Makes me sad... :(

RustyGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RustyGates
No Caption Provided
@joaoanjos said:

I Hate this movie. I Hate Tim Burton. I Hate every Batman movie before Nolan. And I'm not sorry.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

it was a big movie when i was a kid , you do not have bc its awesome as a choice but if you did that would be my vote

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joaoanjos: Funny cuz Nolans trilogy was the worst incarnation of Batman. It didn't capture anything that made Batman Batman and it made Batman out to be a normal guy not normal guy in the sense of no powers normal in the sense that literally you could be Batman Gordon could be Batman an 80 year old man could be Batman because he didn't do anything impressive in that movie from the crap fight scenes to the lack of any actual detective work. He was a cop in body armor.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jack Nicholson is the only thing I like about the movie. So..cast...I guess?

this

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

For me, it's a combination of the script, cast, tone, & music (costume design was also good, but not my main reason for liking it).

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The music for me. I'm not even that big on the movie, but when I hear Elfman's theme, it instantly brings back memories of the kid who fell in love with everything Batman.