This topic is locked from further discussion.
The Winter Soldier for me. The humor was on point, I loved the characters, the action was well done, and I found the story pretty engaging. Most importantly, it's a movie I can see myself constantly rewatching.
Iron Man's a pretty close second for me though.
Man this one really felt like a tie between Avengers and The Winter Soldier. I chose Avengers though because it really gave me everything I wanted in a Super Team movie, something we haven't really seen on such a scale. It feels unfair to compare Avengers to anything else other than the coming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, cause they're Team based movies. As far as single super hero movies go, The Winter Soldier really took my expectations and blew them away with awesome sauce lol.
I would put The Avengers first for sure. I mean, it has all of the other characters in one and the same movie! Of course, it is still a matter of story and how those characters interact with each other in the movie, but I think they got that down extremely well.
I did enjoy all of the Iron Man movies, even 3, but I feel Stark's character works better when he has the rest of the Avengers to bounce off. Thor was better than I expected but not that incredible, same for Hulk. I did not like the first Captain America at all and I sadly have to admit I have yet to see The Winter Soldier. Oh well, The Winter Soldier will probably win anyways.
Maybe a little bit of unpopular opinion but my favorite was Iron Man 1, better than even The Avengers or Captain America TWS
1. Iron Man 1
2. Captain America: TWS
3. The Avengers
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Iron Man 2
7. Incredible Hulk
8. Thor 2
9. Iron Man 3
I love The Avengers, to me it's the perfect comic book movie... however Winter Solider is close, nibbling on it's heels.
2. Captain America: The Winter Solider
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. Iron Man
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Iron Man 2
8. Incredible Hulk
9. Iron Man 3
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (I really liked the tone, character moments, and politics)
2. The Avengers (Obviously groundbreaking, but too cartoony at times)
3. Iron Man (I really liked the tone and dialogue)
4. The Incredible Hulk (I really like the tone and character moements)
5. Iron Man 3 ( loved the tone in the 1st half, and liked how fun it was)
6. Thor (The scenery and design were amazing. I wanted to be on Asgard for the entire thing. Great character moments
7. Captain America: The First Avenger (A heartwarming underdog story; I want to see the montage portion turned into a TV show like Band of Brothers.)
8. Thor: The Dark World (Too goofy and not enough substance)
9. Iron Man 2 (Poor pacing, poor adlib, forces the Avengers set-up too hard, pretty boring at times)
The winter solider is honestly the only movie that really impressed me, the rest were just okay
The avengers is a grossly overrated family flick-no real substance at all, the iron man movies each got worse and worse as they went along, thor 1 and 2 were average, incredible hulk is the definition of meh
Winter Soldier has to take it for me man, seriously. I loved Avengers and it pulled off what could never be done before, tossing in all those characters and appropriately respecting each one of them. But Cap 2 just pushed the boundaries for me man, it was an entirely different beast and for good reason.
Getting this set of movies into a particular order is hard enough and then trying to nail down a favorite seems near impossible. I think that each movie has something for me in it and they each have something that makes them favorite worthy (for me and yes all of them). I think for my my best order is:
- Captain America: The Winter Solider - ( I just saw it as a complete movie that kept me interested from start to finish )
- The Avengers - ( An epic movie and one of the best overall, but just barely falls to Winter Solider )
- Iron Man - ( The entry point into the MCU and a major feat, not to mention it was a greatly made movie )
- Iron Man 3 - ( Even with the twist that so many hate, it worked for me, It was a massive movie and majorly fun to watch )
- Thor: The Dark World - ( I really liked the direction they had with this movie, a little lacluster in some areas but still good )
- Captain America: The First Avenger ( I think this was one of the more solid movie in Phase 1, but thought it developed a little slow in some areas for me )
- Iron Man 2 - ( I rather enjoyed this installment, even if most people didn't, I thought it had some cool components )
- Incredible Hulk - ( A much better movie than it's predecessor (Hulk) and a good switch to a better actor, but just wish it lined up more with the Avengers, Rufalow was awesome )
- Thor - ( I hate that Thor rounded out the pack, but there was just something it lacked for me, I think it was its choppy development, but I still enjoy the movie, It just didn't have enough to beat out some of the other movies )
I really enjoy all of these movie for what they have to offer and watch them all again from time to time. Yes, they all have some flaws, some more than others, but with each of them I am always entertained and have a fun time watching them.
For my money, the only movies on the list that are great without caveat are Iron Man, Cap 2, and Avengers. I like all of them quite a bit with the exception of the Thor movies, but Iron Man, Cap 2, and Avengers are kind of the only ones not plagued by plot holes and clunky story stuff. Iron Man the first for me wins out because it is so good. It didn't have delusions of grandeur, it worked exceptionally well as a standalone movie and served as a very strong foundation that the rest of the MCU is built on. It set the tone for the next of the Marvel movies, a tone that has served Marvel very very well. Plus, that Robert Downey Jr.
1) Captain America - Winter Soldier
2) Iron Man 1
3) Iron Man 3
4) Incredible Hulk
5) Captain America
6) Iron Man 2
7) Avengers - Really poor use of Loki and overall crappy plot.
8) Thor - YAWN
9) Thor 2 - Did not see it because I hated the first one.
I really found Avengers to be an entirely forgettable movie. You can literally pull Loki out of the movie and insert any other villain and it would make zero difference. Only saw the film one time and it reminded me of cotton candy, all fluff and no substance; kind of like the SHIELD TV show.
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (awesome)
2) The Avengers (loved it)
3) Captain America: The First Avenger (loved it)
4) Iron Man (liked it)
5) The Incredible Hulk (better than Iron Man sequels and Thor+2)
6) Thor (to be honest I don't even like it that much, I still liked it more than Iron Man 2/3, Dark world though)
7) Iron Man 2 (i don't even know, don't even remember it really,but still whatever)
8) Iron Man 3 (Sucked and yet I liked it more than I liked Dark world)
9) Thor: The Dark World (God this movie.....boooooring)
Avengers for me. Now to rank:
2. Cap 2
3. Tie: Iron Man 1 and Cap 1
4. Thor 2
The other three can be put in any order as 6-8 because I don't care for the Iron Man sequels and I don't remember Incredible Hulk (since I only watched it once in 2008). Also, wasn't expecting Cap 2 to be winning. Makes sense, though.