gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
Sound the trumpets, the Comic Vine mailbag is here and it's overflowing with your questions. Each week we will post some Q & A's from you guys because that's how much we love you all. You can ask questions to G-Man's Formspring page, Babs' Formspring page, our Twitter accounts (you can find ours on the front page) or even pm's. Just make sure you label it as "mailbag question" to make it easier to sort.  

How old are each of the Whiskey Media sites?
Comic Vine launched in December 2006. Giant Bomb in April 2008. Anime Vice in December 2008. Tested came about in March and Screened in May of this year.
 == TEASER == 
No Caption Provided
Wait... you're moving offices again?  It feels like you've only just moved into this one.  
Yes, we are moving into the city. San Francisco. We'll do a "tour" video naturally. We're like the Jeffersons, we're moving on up.

Did they finally get the Golden Gate Bridge repaired after what Magneto did to it? 
Yes. He helped out as part of his atonement.

How does one become a comic book writer? For DC/Marvel etc, how would you become known to them? 
Start writing. Lots of writing. After that, write some more. Basically your work needs to speak for itself. Start writing blogs. Write short stories. Try to get published anywhere. Most writers don't just jump into writing for the big two. Start somewhere and have something to catch their attention.

No Caption Provided
Have you ever shared ideas with an artist/writer in an interview, and then they incorporated your ideas into a comic? 
I can't think of anything off the top of my head. The only thing that comes to mind is when I started using "Sniktitude" with Wolverine in the recent X-Babies. Gregg Schigiel said by the time I mentioned it in a review, he has already sent the rest of the mini-series to the printer.

Mike Allred has mentioned the idea on his forum that some "Guest Artists" could fill in for him while he is away from Madman. Who would you like to see fill in on Madman for a while? 
Someone else drawing Madman would be hard to accept. Would I rather see Madman stories drawn by someone else or no Madman stories at all? That's really hard to answer. I have seen tons of different artists' interpretations. Allred had two series of trading cards, each with a different artists' take. If someone were to fill in temporarily, I'd say Darwin Cooke or Craig Rousseau come to mind. It would have to be someone with a slightly retro/fun style. But it just wouldn't be the same.

Did you pick up X- Force Vol. 1 trade yet? It looks awesome. I bought it and cant wait to read it.
Haven't bought the trade but I did read the issues. X-Force rules. One of the better X-books without question.

Which are you most looking forward to: Superman 700, Batman 700, or Wonder Woman 600? Which one and why?
Since I'm late answering this and Batman's already out. I'd say it's a toss up between Superman and Wonder Woman. I loved Batman but the other two will bring big changes in terms of the writing team and possibly new direction for the character. I think I'm actually more looking forward to Wonder Woman. I'm really curious where things will go.

Babs went with Superman.   

No Caption Provided
Kirk or Picard?
Babs chose Kirk.

I say Picard was the better "Captain." He did more, saved more and made better decisions. Kirk was the man but seemed like his team kept getting captured. Maybe so he could meet alien girls.

Do know the best place to find Danny Rand in the current Marvel U.  Is he in New Avengers?
He did show up in New Avengers #1. He's the one that gave Luke Cage a dollar to buy the Avengers Mansion. Not sure if he'll officially be a member or if the team will have a strict roster. It almost looks like they'll put the call out and see who comes on the missions (like with Wolverine being on so many teams and the Thing on the FF). Hopefully we'll see more of Danny in New Avengers. He and Luke have all their history and I also dig when he and Spider-Man interact. 

Why did Joker become Oberon Sexton?
That's a good question and we'll have to wait and see what Grant Morrison has to say about it. It was a great twist but we felt there could've been more to Oberon if he was a separate character. At least we weren't strung along for a longer period of time before we got the shocker. 

No Caption Provided
Why do you think so many people hate Superman? 
I think for most people it's because he's so powerful and also because he's such a boy scout. Superman isn't an easy character to write because of that. Writers have to really get into things to tell stories where Superman can't just mop up the floor with the bad guys. There have been some really great stories and maybe people just missed them or didn't give them a chance. I've been digging Superman since Geoff Johns and Richard Donner started things with Brainiac and the death of Jonathan Kent. New Krypton and War of the Supermen were great. I can't wait to see where things are going to go now. I do think people should give him a chance. We don't just need superhero comics with dark heroes that will kill so easily.

What's the average number of comics that a CV Staff member reads per week? And how much of them usually get reviewed?
I try to read as many as possible. I usually pick up around 30 books a week. We need to keep up with everything that's going on. I don't always read them within the first week and sometimes have to try to catch up when I can. We usually do close to 25 reviews just on Wednesdays alone. Then Sara and I do five Unscripted reviews a week.

A lot of people say that Deadpool is one of those characters that is too played out. He's not funny anymore and the writers try to hard to be funny with him. What do you think about this? Do you still find Deadpool funny? Do you even like the character?
I thought Deadpool was cool when he first appeared in New Mutants. He has gone through changes. It does take the right writer to capture who he really is. There's been some really bad appearances recently that have started turning me off of Deadpool. I'm hoping we'll start to see less of Deadpool. Quality over quantity. We don't need shoved down our throats every week.

What do you think of characters that don't have full origin stories or don't have real names? Would you like characters like the Joker and such to actually have their origins told? 
Sometimes not knowing adds some coolness to the character. I didn't mind not knowing Wolverine's full past for all the years. Now that we pretty much know everything, he's not really the same. He almost feels older now and not just because he was born in the 1800s. I didn't mind not knowing about Red Hulk for two years. I like not knowing Joker's real past. Sometimes it can actually harm the character. On the other hand, I think writers should know about their character and not just make things up as they go along to make things easier for them. It's nice not knowing once in a while but would get annoying if it happened all the time.

Okay, I've been slowly getting into DC titles (I'm mostly a Marvel :P), such as Batman and GL, but now I'm trying to get into Superman with and I was wondering if Superman #700 would be a good jumping on point for a new SM reading like myself?
It would be a perfect jumping on point. 

If you had to kill one Avenger one X-Man and one Justice League member off forever who would they be and why?  
I'd go with Gilgamesh the Forgotten for Avengers. Marrow for the X-Men (unless Rockslide counts as an X-Man). Faith for JLA.

Where do you get your tee shirts? 
I search high and low on the internet. Maybe someday a cool t-shirt company could provide my wardrobe for the videos.

No Caption Provided
Does your name has anything to do with G-Man the superhero.  
No. It came from my last name. Chris Giarrusso (creator of the other G-Man) has joked about it. You can read my "origin" here.

Bad guys used to just be evil for no reason, then they got motivations and levels, and now... How do you feel about villains in comics being shown as rapists, molesters, and seriously dark and creepy stuff like that? And do you think its a trend?
It does seem like an unfortunate trend to keep things as dark and gritty as possible. I remember when comics had that fun and almost innocent appeal. They weren't completely innocent but the bad stuff wasn't so...glamorized. Comics are an escape. I don't feel like we need to be reminded of the horrible crap that happens in real life just to make things more edgy. 

Why do you guys at Comic Vine divide your reviews up into 'the good, the bad, the verdict'? Would you ever consider not doing it this way?
Sure but this way seems to be working for us. It gets to the point. You can easily see what we liked and didn't like rather than read an essay on the issue. I thought it was a good idea when I started doing it...

Who are your top 3 favorite artists?  
Dang, tough question. I answered this without sitting around giving it a lot of thought. Just the top three that immediately jumped to mind. I'd say Mike Allred, Alan Davis and John Romita Sr. There's so many more that I really dig.

No Caption Provided
Crossover time: Do you think Wolverine's claws could cut through Superman's skin? In other words, Fight to the Death: Who would win?
No. They are tough but Wolverine isn't strong enough to pierce his skin. Superman has been said to have a slight aura or force field around him. If Wolverine's claws were enhanced with magic, that'd be another story. Basically Superman could just pick up Wolverine and throw him across the country.

What are these new offices you speak of, Mr. G-Man? When does the big move happen? How many offices have you guys had to this point?
Unless you count the office Red LAMP and Captain Cascader had in Berkely, we currently have had/have three. Our new office will be in San Francisco and we're moving next month. All Whiskey employees will now be under the same roof rather than three separate offices. It's gonna be a party (especially since we'll have a bar built in). 

Is your job actually working at ComicVine and if so how do i get in?
Comic Vine is and has been my full time job for the last couple years (I used to be a high school math teacher running Comic Vine on the side). How do you get in? Through the front door, when it's unlocked. 

That wraps up another edition. Keep sending your questions in through Formspring, pm's or even by posting questions in the comments below. Send in more questions and don't forget to tell your dad how awesome he is tomorrow (on Father's Day).
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Thanks for answering the question G-Man i would of accepted Rockslide as well for xmen, Gilgamesh was unexpected as well good selection.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck
@lazystudent: I feel like I cheated a little with Gilgamesh. He is/was the "forgotten one" after all. Who would miss him?
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

Thanks for answering my question!!

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@G-Man:  true,  hence was a good choice pefectly within the rules of the question and wouldnt really affect the team
Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Namor1987

Awesome origin of the birth of Comicvine, G-Man. I love this site to death I spend alot of my spare time on this site keep up the great work

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By velle37

Thanx man.
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

Picard all the way!!!
Avatar image for imjustlikeparker
ImJustLikeParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImJustLikeParker

Wait, How did Doomsday cut through Superman's skin then?  (Sorry, I'm a Marvel.)
ballsnbayonets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ballsnbayonets

nice interesting stuff

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Thanks for answering my questions.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KRYPTON

More insightful questions answered. Thanks.

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

KIRK ROCKS  THE  ENTERPRISE..................suck it Picard
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Magian
@ImJustLikeParker:
Doomaday has the necessary strength to penetrate Superman's skin.
CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainUseless

Once again another batch of great questions and great answers :).

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goldenkey

where do you want us to ask questions for the weekly answers 
CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainUseless

You can said them a PM or ask a question on their Formspring accounts.

Astroknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Astroknot

Babs chose Kirk.   

Like there's a choice? ;)
ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ComicCrazy

All pretty good questions and answers.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
@goldenkey: 
@G-Man said:

Keep sending your questions in through Formspring, pm's or even by posting questions in the comments below. 

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By logan48227
@Astroknot said:
"

Babs chose Kirk.  

Like there's a choice? ;) "

All women choose Kirk. That's why he's the intergalactic pimp that he is.
Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Superman's great when they focus on his personality, he is so caring and like Spider-Man feels respncible for everyone's safety.  When he is written right, in my opinion, he is more human.  Trying to be noble and heroic, but still the Smallville Farm boy.  I liked Smallville the tv show at first because it was showing how he became such a noble and heroic figure, his human parents.

So for me, he is written best when he is shown to be more human, I think James Robinson said something similar on one of the podcasts.  I agree with what he said then.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NXH

Cool. Thanks for answearing my question, Tony.  
Mine are Marc Siverstri, Humberto Ramos and Chris Bachalo. I also really dig Jim Lee, Stefano Caselli , Mike Deodato Jr aaaaaaaaaaaaaand many more.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMess1428

I heard that The Thing left the Fantastic Four.

Technoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Technoman

What superhero TV show would you like to see? 

Who is your favorite supervillain?

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bigheart711

Thanks for answering my question, G-Man! I can't believe I'm the first answer. :D
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Thanks for answering my question, Tony! :D

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blackestnight1
@Technoman:  First question Hulk or Dare Devil

Second question Dr Doom and Lex
dirtymik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dirtymik

If Superman threw Wolverine across the country, how many times would Wolverine bounce?

darkxman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darkxman123

if you were director of sheild for the day what would you do 

justafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By justafan

if leech used his powers on butterball or if they used something to negate his poweres (butterball's) could he train to tiptop shape and become one of the best super heroes of the marvel universe?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By danhimself

How far do you want to see the Vine go?   Online comic price guide?  Trade and Sell comics between users?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gmanfromheck

Don't forget you can submit questions still for this Saturday's post. You can even put them here.