This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (39426 posts) 1 year, 10 months ago

Poll: Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Aquaman vs. Thing (471 votes)

Aquaman 70%
Thing 26%
Too close to call 4%

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character (this is New 52 Aquaman).
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in our version of Manhattan (this way there's no Baxter Building for a potential advantage but both do indeed recognize where they are). It's unpopulated and at night. Assume they start roughly 20 feet apart and visible in Times Square. This means the Hudson River is about 5 avenues over and the East River is a bit farther away.
  • Thing is unarmed and Arthur has his trident.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
#101 Posted by SirMichelAngelo (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with aquaman, because in The New 52 he is true badass and and there was only one mention about dehydration, and arthur was in the desert not in Manhattan.

So goodbye Thing!

#102 Posted by Decoy Elite (30159 posts) - - Show Bio

My urge to point out that Aquaman was already an excellent and powerful fighter Pre-New 52 is rising.

#103 Posted by comicfan11 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio
#104 Edited by Raw_Material (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman FTW!

Let's start off with his strength prowess. In the current issue of the New 52 Aquaman, he has been able to catch and throw a submarine out of the water which weighed greatly over 100+ tons. He's also been able to punch through a thick mountain of huge boulders in the earlier issues of the New 52 Series, as shown in the scans below. Although the Thing might be a little bit dense and stronger than the still mountain, I believe Aquaman has the ability to conflict some damage towards him by just using his bare knuckles.

#105 Posted by Lvenger (23135 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I actually think this could go either way, tbh. I originally planned on writing a case for both characters but just said f*ck it and left it at the Thing's since I had other stuff to do. Like I said, for shiggles, though.

Same here. But I'm trying to decide which combatant would be more likely to take an edge. I guess that when it comes down to it, Aquaman always has the water as a way to gain an edge over the Thing. Whereas Thing doesn't have that luxury. So I guess I'll vote for Aquaman. His New 52 showings have been impressive. But then again, I'm torn because the Thing's showings are good too.

#106 Edited by Raw_Material (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

As for the use of his trident, Aquaman has been able to break through Dr. Grave's mystical barrier which was deemed unbreakable by using the prowess of the first king's trident, as shown in the scan below. He also wields the trident with great skill and agility, being able to defeat multiple talons, parademons, trenches and other attacking enemies:

Aquaman was also the only Leaguer to have made Darkseid bleed out by using the force of his trident, as shown below:

#107 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

@shallbecomeabattoo: give Thor a run for his money? Are you high? Thing can win this, the only advantage Arthur has is the Trident without it he'd get pulped. Thing has fought Hulk and Namor who are BOTH stronger than Arthur.

#108 Edited by comicfan11 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: False since Aquaman is definitely faster, more agile, can jump like the Hulk and possesses enhanced senses, all Things that Ben cannot do and are major advantages for Aquaman.

Also Nu 52 Aquaman has fought Wonder Woman and Darkseid among others.

Why are people so fascinated with Hulk like he is the only measuring stick?

#109 Posted by dondave (39846 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: I have the comic that's why I told you that you were correct, I double checked. But the thing has taken beatings from the likes of hulk and others(who outclass WW in strength) without bleeding at all. He CAN take machine gun fire without bleeding.

He doesn't just have a slight edge in durability, its pretty wide gap.

I don't think that aquaman "can't" beat the thing, I feel like he CAN. But I give the majority to thing due to way better durability and having similar strength levels.

And people are throwing out crazy scenarios to put it in aquamans favor. Bringing up powers that he doesn't have anymore.

I've read the first two volumes of justice league, and like ten of aquaman, and I haven't seen anything so far that tells me the trident can pierce things skin. Adamantium has. But nobody has shown me anything, and I haven't read anything yet telling me that the trident is as hard or as sharp as wolverines claws

The has been dealt with worse than bleedng, fighting the Hulk was causing Chunks of body to break off, it may not happen here but the Thing would definitely feel Aquaman's punches

#110 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4672 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben Grimm has and always have been far over-rated to me in comics, those so called Hulk vs Thing battles, please! Lol ! I like Aquaman more anyway, and due to the fact that Dc has upgraded a large number of their heroes in the New 52,like Wonder Woman and such, Aquaman takes this battle for that very reason.

#111 Posted by dondave (39846 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: He's fought Hulk and loses more often than not. Take fore example their most IIRC encounter, when he and Wolverine were sent in to apprehend him. He embarrassed the Thing, he broke off his face and turned it into dust and then continued t break the Thing's body with every punch he threw. Just because he fights the Hulk doesn't mean they are on the same level

#112 Posted by karasu_ (308 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman with that sea fork is too much for thing

#113 Edited by nigravirum1 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay so let me start out my congratulating Comic Vine for this excellent battle. I believe this one right here is one of the closest battles yet. But I was forced to make a decision and my decision was Aquaman. I love Ben Grimm very dearly, but I also RESPECT Aquaman (yes, i know you don't here that very often) quite a lot. I acknowledge the true power that Aquaman holds and why he's such a powerful hero. He does not 'just' talk to fish like I have heard many say before. My strategy in choosing Aquaman over the Thing though is based off of past experience. Has Grimm ever beaten a Aquaman-like character before BY HIMSELF? No. Has Arthur ever beaten a Thing-like character before by himself? Yes actually he has. I know that this is New-52 Aquaman, and we haven't seen him REALLY prove himself yet, but his power levels are still almost exactly the same as his Flashpoint version, and his Pre-New-52 version. In the past Aquaman has gone toe-to-toe with many, including Wonder Woman herself. In my book, Wonder Woman is a lot better than Ben Grimm, so we can make this following equation to find the result:

Aquaman>Wonder Woman>The Thing

#114 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: he didn't fight WW one on one and the League fought Darkseid not just him and that has no bearing on this fight.

@dondave. I brought up the Hulk because he outclasses both of these guys and Ben has stood toe to toe with him as well as collossus juggs and had good showings in the loss.

#115 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (9860 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted Thing.

#116 Posted by Herx (489 posts) - - Show Bio

I went for too close to call. Putting their powers aside (I know, right, putting their powers aside in a fight. pfft), it pretty much comes down to who'd buckle first and in that scenario neither would, they'd just be going at it continuously until both of them pass out of they both strike final blows at the same time.

#117 Posted by lilben42 (2689 posts) - - Show Bio

My cats keep running away from me.

#118 Edited by comicfan11 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: Still you didn't answer how Thing handles Aquaman's speed, leaping, mobility enhanced senses and pretty damaging Trident. And the brief scuffle with Wonder Woman was one on one, after she attacked him from behind first with the Lasso.

#119 Edited by frogdog (3992 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: he didn't fight WW one on one and the League fought Darkseid not just him and that has no bearing on this fight.

@dondave. I brought up the Hulk because he outclasses both of these guys and Ben has stood toe to toe with him as well as collossus juggs and had good showings in the loss.

Yet he was one of few to actually damage Darksied. Hulk humiliated the thing in their recent fights.

#120 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: the trident gives him the advantage and honestly, probably the victory. My problem is the wanking and overestimating of Arthur and underrtating if Ben.

#121 Posted by redo7 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman,..

#122 Posted by comicfan11 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: I don't underestimate Ben. I just believe Arthur is above him. i would give the Thing the majority against many high level bricks, but AQ is above that.

In the latest Tony Bedard interview, he talks about writing the Black Manta and Ocean Master issues and describes AQ as "super strong titan" and "godlike being". DC has put AQ on a level the Thing simply is not at the moment.

#123 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicfan11: cool. I can accept that but I wasn't talking exclusively to you, there were others going way overboard, one guy compared him to Thor GTFOH.

#124 Posted by comicfan11 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: Cool.

Thor in a recent issue was tearing up planets while battling Gor. That's a higher level than Aquaman, and an awesome feat for Odinson.

#125 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

Arthur Curry beats Ben Grimm I say.

#126 Posted by Xwraith (25205 posts) - - Show Bio

Arthur controls water, right? And I think everyone knows what happens to rock when it's exposed to water.

#127 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12346 posts) - - Show Bio
#128 Posted by MarlboroMan (2064 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Arthur controls water, right? And I think everyone knows what happens to rock when it's exposed to water.

This ain't pokemon buddy.

#129 Posted by Xwraith (25205 posts) - - Show Bio
#130 Posted by MYadidas (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk....................Thing has gotten beat down so many times by just about everyone in the Marvel Universe.

#131 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12346 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

This ain't pokemon buddy.

LOL

#132 Posted by Manchine (4295 posts) - - Show Bio

Got to say Aquarian wins. For all the reasons all ready said.

#133 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12346 posts) - - Show Bio

People saying Aquaman wins because he fought Superman, Darkseid, and Wonder Woman are just being stupid. Thats like me saying Thing wins because he fought Silver Surfer and Galactus...

#134 Posted by ShadowX (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

I think both characters are great. I'm still not sure who would win at the moment, ill wait to see more arguments. The way I see it. They are about equal in strength. The Things gets a slight edge in durability, both in physically and his will to never give up. However aquaman is faster, has the trident, and is a better Tactician. They are both skilled in fighting styles, but differnt types, that lend advantages in different ways. Aquamans style with his trident would allow him to keep and fight the Thing more Effectively at mid-range. If thing can close the gap his unqiue fighting style lends itself better to close quarter combat( using boxing punches, wrestling grabs, and judo throws). And as somebody else has mentioned the Thing doenst mind using the enviorment in a fight such as a lampost, and while a lamppost is no way an equal to Aquamans trident, I can see Thing getting a few hits with it before aquaman can break it. Aquaman also has more direct access to water through things like sewers, fire hydrants, et. But that would take time entering or breaking to use, time that Thing could use to close the gap. In the long run it might benefit Arthur to sacriifce that for the increase boost from water. I also think Arthur would go for thosse sources of water first instead of bringing Thing to one of the rivers which would take more time and energy on Arthurs part. Time and energy in which Thing can be closing the gap taking the damage. If he does go the route of trying to bring the Thing to a larger water source like one of the rivers, then it will pay him off with the water giving him strength he may have lost during the fight. However Thing may beat him before he gets to heal himself. Right now I'm calling to close to call, but I'll be reading the arguments of both side at the moment. However this is all coming from somebody who is a fan pf them from outside material( cartoons, movies) and the small amount of comics and scans i have actually been able to read, so I hope to learn more about two characters I really enjoy.

#135 Posted by The Stegman (28723 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001: People ARE saying that though. Oh, Thing fought (not beat) Hulk, so he wins, is just as poor.

#136 Posted by Wolverine08 (47903 posts) - - Show Bio

With the trident, Aquaman has a slight advantage on Ben, and might be able to beat him. But I think Ben might be able to get past Aquaman's trident and give him a good clobberin'.

#137 Posted by lagoonman (132 posts) - - Show Bio

i like ben,but aquaman wins this time

#138 Posted by wbr17 (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, N52 Aquaman don't lose strength nor stamina out of water and don't receive a upgrade in this stats on water. The only difference is that he is adapt to live on water. He won't receive any upgrade by rain, hydrants, sewer... nor downgrade by being out of water.

#139 Posted by ShadowX (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@wbr17: really? Thanks for this information. i will take it into account then as i rethink the battle some more.

#140 Posted by ssejllenrad (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman rocks orange better... :D

#141 Posted by RunawayAvenger (627 posts) - - Show Bio

Since death is allowed definitely Aquaman.

#142 Posted by telepathic666 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, he is just so much more brutal than the thing. I think that is his main advantage otherwise i'd go with the thing.

#143 Edited by Lvenger (23135 posts) - - Show Bio

After much deliberation, I think this is going to be quite the battle. Definitely the closest fight of this feature yet even if the votes don't show that. However, I feel that the most likely character to win this fight would be Aquaman. In the New 52, we've seen Arthur lift cruise ships, tug boats and toss 100+ton submarines through the air. If cruise ships really do weigh in the average of the mid 100,000 tonnes, then this beats the Thing's 30,000 weight lifting feat. Of course, it's not about physical strength but striking power in a fight. Aquaman has shown to be able to sucker punch Superman quite a way although this hardly counts as a viable win or KO of Superman. Also he's carved massive holes in mountains and torn open submarines quite handily. To be honest, not many noteworthy Thing striking feats spring to mind after my research, not even his Sunday punch lol. Although Arthur's armour can be easily destroyed and his forehead chipped by a bullet, he did endure Wonder Woman's blow with a bloody lip. And his bullrush of Wonder Woman may come in handy against the Thing but Aquaman hasn't displayed any combat or reaction feats that show he can dance around the Thing. Thus it'll be a long slog between the two fighters.

Finally, Aquaman has one advantage over the Thing that the Thing cannot claim to also have. If Aquaman can get move the battle to the Hudson River, it's game over. Aquaman can outmaneuver the Thing in water as well as being the more experienced combatant underwater. The Thing's fight with Namor in AvX was poorly written IMO. Ben should not have been able to get the better of Namor on his home turf. Without story constraints in this fight, Aquaman should take the edge if the battle is moved near water. And the trident gives Aquaman another avenue of hurting the Thing. It's extremely durable and has pierced many foes in fights so far. This fight would be close and the Thing does have a chance of winning. But as much as I love Ben Grimm, I have to give the edge to Aquaman in this fight.

#144 Posted by Grife777 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to point out that Arthur was just as powerful, if not more so pre-new 52. He was shown tanking plasma blasts, lifting entire city blocks under hundreds of feet of water, keeping up with the flash while flash was running on water, taking hits from high level opponents such as wonder woman and amazo on a regular basis, and affecting non-marine organisms with his telepathy. He was even able to give a white martian a seizure with his telepathy.

#145 Posted by Supreme_Maj (308 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman this Aquaman that the punch He gave superman was a chip shot is not because he went flying away meaning that He can actually fight him Even the Aquaman in Injustice is weaker than Superman there he was obliged to go along with Superman showing his weakness the same superman that the new 52 Superman beat, changing blows with members of your teams who are even holding back because they want you to reconsider your action doesn't mean you are actually in the same Level. And don't compare the measurement of Level of strength in DC and Marvel Level 80 tonnes doesn't mean the characters can only press and hold 80 tonnes and Thing is Level 100 tonnes he fought Hyperion of the Squadron Sinister in the 80ties to a stand still they stop the fight, he fought the Sphinx alone and survive someone was saying Aquaman has super hearing and sens this can be also a disadvantages for him until Ben likes to use also Thunder clap it can be very painful for Aquaman and after that clobbering time . In the 80ties we saw Sasquatch pulling a war ship from the water that was his ticket to go and fight the hulk and there it was a destruction from the hulk he could not even land a proper punch so to say Ben is above Sasquatch (class 80 at the time) who was pulling this war ship.

#146 Posted by Supreme_Maj (308 posts) - - Show Bio

@grife777: said I just want to point out that Arthur was just as powerful, if not more so pre-new 52. He was shown tanking plasma blasts, lifting entire city blocks under hundreds of feet of water, keeping up with the flash while flash was running on water, taking hits from high level opponents such as wonder woman and amazo on a regular basis, and affecting non-marine organisms with his telepathy. He was even able to give a white martian a seizure with his telepathy.

don't go pre-52 I can show you also how a bullet gun could hurt him bad you know what i like with marvel is their consistency with power level somebody who can died with a bullet can never go and get a hit from a 100 tonners but in Dc forget the writers just do what ever they want inconsistency and their power upgrade soon even batman will be 100 tonners with all his prep time .

#147 Edited by MonsterStomp (24296 posts) - - Show Bio

People saying Aquaman wins because he fought Superman, Darkseid, and Wonder Woman are just being stupid. Thats like me saying Thing wins because he fought Silver Surfer and Galactus...

When has Thing fought Silver Surfer or Galactus?

#148 Edited by spidermonkey2099 (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman whacks things over the head with his trident a few times, then stabs him repeatedly with it, then holds him up by the end of his trident and feeds Thing to a shark that Aquaman has summoned. Game over for Thing.

#149 Edited by comicfan11 (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

@grife777:

don't go pre-52 I can show you also how a bullet gun could hurt him bad you know what i like with marvel is their consistency with power level somebody who can died with a bullet can never go and get a hit from a 100 tonners but in Dc forget the writers just do what ever they want inconsistency and their power upgrade soon even batman will be 100 tonners with all his prep time .

This is one of the funniest things I've read in Comicvine.

Oh you mean like Spider-man (who can die from a bullet) defeated herald of Galactus Firelord in an extended fight, or Luke (started as 5 tonner but now fights characters like Namor) Cage tanking a nuke, or Ice-man being able to actually become living ice (totally not a power upgrade), or the Punisher beating Tigershark (60-80 tonner) by choking him, or Miss Marvel humiliating Count (I used to beat the whole Avengers) Nefaria, or Spider-man KOing Hulk with a truck, or even Namor with all his speed loosing to the Thing underwater, or when they decided to give the Hulk the ability to breath underwater (totally not a power upgrade), or Thor getting koed by some random laser blasts (Avengers) but then proceeding to break planets and travel to the heart of the sun (Gor storyline)?

I can go on about Marvel's wonderful consistency when it comes to power levels.

Because Marvel is totally the best example of companies that pay attention to power levels.

And another point, Aquaman in his very first appearance in 1941 punched a hole to a Nazi sub, for those who think he got super strength in the last 20 years or smthing.

Also we are talking about Nu 52 Aquaman, but even the old one after 1992 when PAD took over the title would beat Thing (lifting an entire city and fighting and in some cases beating 100 tonners like Olympian, Slig, Triton, Wonder Woman, Power Ring, Despero, etc). Durability wise he effectively was bulletproof/resistant starting from 1993 up to the point the DCU got rebooted, but his blunt and energy durability (you know punches) was up there even before that (tanked blasts that KOed Orion, tanked Heat Vision, tanked WW punches, Lobo slashing him with his hook, or drops from skyscrapers, etc)

Finally very few people seem to take into consideration AQ's HUGE speed advantage. Most posts mention Ben's "heart", like a) Aquaman is not one of the mentally toughest DC characters ever (because every hero can lead a country that hates him or go on to take the Big 3 by himself to prevent a war) and b) now suddenly "heart" somehow makes up for the Thing's HUGE speed disadvantage (I guess "heart" gives Ben enhanced reflexes)

#150 Edited by Vulcan786 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Both fighters are very strong, dare i say underrated by the main stream fans. Each have merits over the other: Ben is much more durable than Arthur and Arthur, from what we have seen in the new 52 (especially the throwing of a submarine out of the ocean and lifting a cruise liner) would appear to be stronger than the thing, in terms of raw strength.

What many people don't realize is what makes Arthur different to all atlanteans is he is from a mystical/special bloodline (mother) which is what grants him these added abilities (on top of the atlantean physiology). With regard to his trident, as the operative (a member of Aquamans group known as 'the others') said 'nothing is more powerful than that thing'. This wasn't an exact quote it was paraphrased, but this was the operatives reaction upon hearing that there is an artifact stronger than the trident (the scepter of the dead king) His trident has been shown to be indestructible thus far. He has also used to it to tear parts off submarines, and lift trucks. The trident combined with Arthurs strength is an extremely difficult combination for Thing. Possible applications could be to use it (as would be expected) as a melee weapon, he may even trow it as a projectile which, with his strength, would be lethal. He could also use it to tear parts of the ground to expose water lines? Aqumans main method of moving around on land is leaping (a testament to his leg strength) He seems to leave like a jet stream? or maybe just dust when he leaps and can cover great distances in short amounts of time, something we don't see Thing do often. This leaping ability of his gives him a great advantage with regard to dictating the direction of the battle. His speed feats or mostly when he is under water, swimming at speeds which far exceed Mach 5. On various occasions Aquaman also lunges straight of the water like a jet stream at great speeds to tackle opponents. The combatants are in character so lets not forget, Aquaman kills (only when he has to however).

As I stated earlier, though Thing is strong I believe his durability ranks higher than his strength. He has this crucial advantage over Aquman in that though he may not be as strong (in my opinion), he has the potential to outlast him in a straight up fist fight. Thing has taken blows from Green Scar hulk, and has delivered blows him self. What we see from Thing which we do not see much form new 52 aquaman is strength feats in fight. Sure Aquaman sucker punched superman, tackled wonder woman but they are rarities in the new 52 he needs to be tested more against powerhouses. With Thing, we see him deliver devastating blows to his foes who are on the same, if not greater level than him, which puts things into perspective regarding how he would hold up in a fight. A slug fest would be in Things best interest as he would be able to take more shots than Aquaman. Thing is also known for using the environment to his advantage. He may weaponize pieces of debris, cars, lamp posts etc which may catch Aquaman off guard and allow Thing to close the distance.

My pick is Aquaman. This'll be a hell of a slug fest which would force Arthur to make his way towards water. He can sense the Hudson River and ensures the battle makes his way towards it. He can comfortably make 5 avenues within one or two leaps, so whats not to say he doesn't grab or harpoon Thing and leap all the way to the Hudson river? Once in the water the fight is over. The thing stands a good chance of winning it on land but even then I think Aquamans tactical mind set would prove overwhelming for Thing in combat. The fact that Wrecker was able to get a chunk of Thing by using the crowbar would mean Arthur could easily pierce him by stabbing of harpooning the trident. (yes the crowbar had some sort of Asgardian enchantment which makes it very powerful) but again the trident is indestructible so far, and Aquaman is extremely strong. Whose to say the trident is not enchanted in some way?