This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (49292 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Aquaman vs. Thing (470 votes)

Aquaman 70%
Thing 26%
Too close to call 4%

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character (this is New 52 Aquaman).
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in our version of Manhattan (this way there's no Baxter Building for a potential advantage but both do indeed recognize where they are). It's unpopulated and at night. Assume they start roughly 20 feet apart and visible in Times Square. This means the Hudson River is about 5 avenues over and the East River is a bit farther away.
  • Thing is unarmed and Arthur has his trident.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
#1 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman.

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (43787 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with The Thing.

#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (49292 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know....I really don't have a lot of experience with Aquaman outside of his New 52 book and he really hasn't had that many strength feats....I do believe that unless he can get Thing into the water somehow then it's just going to be strength vs strength....I'm going to have to go with Thing here...he's got way more showings than Aquaman currently does

#5 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: agreed, thing is stronger and more durable. Adamantium is the only thing I know of that can pierce his skin. Aquaman could probably get a few good whacks in, but I don't see him withstanding a continuous clobberin'.

#6 Posted by Danial79 (2352 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read much F4, but from what I've seen The Thing is near indestructible. However, Aquaman has recently been shown going toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman (and Superman?), so I'm going to give it to him.

#7 Posted by TommytheHitman (3312 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a pretty easy vote. Aquaman.

#8 Posted by Parsifal24 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman for the win

#9 Edited by Sammo21 (697 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless Aquaman could get The Thing to water, the Thing has the strength advantage...not to mention being far more familiar with the surroundings than Aquaman. The Thing definitely wins any strength bouts...not really seeing any reason to vote Aquaman other than "I really like aquaman so I am going to vote that he wins"........which based on the point of this is a bit childish ;p However, Manhattan is close to water so if Aquaman was somehow able to get the Thing to water I would say that he could win. Otherwise, I am giving it to The Thing based on his strength levels and given that he's gone toe to toe with the Hulk.

The Thing official power levels:

Master Combatant: He is uniquely gifted in the art of hand-to-hand combat (a skill Ben honed long before he became the Thing), though his fighting style tends to be a rather loose brawling technique all his own. This style often incorporates collegiate wrestling techniques, Boxing (as he has been stated to have spent hours upon hours honing his boxing skills in the gym during college), and on at least one occasion even Jujutsu. In his youth, Ben was a talented football player.

Strength level

Class 100 tons.

#10 Edited by Jslab425 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Admittedly we are biased, but Aquaman's power levels are off the charts these days -- for instance in last week's AQUAMAN #21, Arthur threw a submarine (they weigh 5000 tons or more) up from the depths of the ocean to the surface -- requiring a displacement of an estimated 50,000 tons of water to accomplish. Not to mention he recently knocked Superman for a loop & his trident is an indestructible ancient Atlantean artifact. So yeah, it may be Clobberin' Time, but this time its the Sea King who's left standing!

@AquamanShrine

#11 Posted by Elwoodtoast (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben is kind of a dumb brute, without reed around, he can get easily outsmarted. He'll rush head long into any situation that Arthur crafts for him. Arthur, a tactical expert, will see thing as what he is, a large rock monster, no surprises there, and he will definitely lure thing to the sea. Thing will see a dude with a staff and yellow chain mail, a pushover. Aqua man will take advantage of the fact that rocks sink and trap him or drown him (if that is possible) under water. Without reed, thing is a blunt instrument, he may be stronger than AC, but that only matters if it comes down to a slugfest, which aquaman would surely avoid. Aquaman wins by a mile.

#12 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@sammo21 said:

Unless Aquaman could get The Thing to water, the Thing has the strength advantage...not to mention being far more familiar with the surroundings than Aquaman. The Thing definitely wins any strength bouts...not really seeing any reason to vote Aquaman other than "I really like aquaman so I am going to vote that he wins"........which based on the point of this is a bit childish ;p

Dude. Aquaman is about as strong as Supes and has nigh bulletproof skin. Even before the New 52, he was always really strong outside of the water. He's got thing beat.

#13 Posted by frogdog (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

GG thing

#14 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing

#15 Posted by xRonanx (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is faster, he could get Thing to water and then the fight would be over. Thing is tougher than nails, but I'm certain that Aquaman could outrun him for 5 avenues to get to the Hudson.

#16 Edited by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@elwoodtoast: the thing was a pilot and he was an astronaut for NASA. He is a brawler with excellent boxing and wrestling skills, but to call him a dumb brute is false

@zeeguy91: a ricocheted bullet caused his face to bleed in issue 1 of new 52. And the thing outclasses him in strength and durability

#17 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know!

#18 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@xronanx: so you're saying aqua man wins...by running away? Lol

#19 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1329 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by tensor (4657 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing has to land some mighty blows for him to defeat aquaman.One alone would not knockout aquaman at all.For aquaman he has the speed and the power to attack and to defend against the thing, plus he is better at hand to hand combat than thing.Can the thing take constant blast from the trident an win? The thing has to bring more than just raw power to win ,he has to find a way ,to out smart aquaman to win this battle.

#21 Posted by joewell (6438 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman wins this. He has been able to hurt Darkseid with his trident, So Thing should not be a problem.

And Thing has been hurt by Wolverine, who is way weaker than Aquaman. Does Thing have any TP resistants?

And i don't see any water there either

#22 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell: do you think or just post? just curious. because there is so much wrong in what you posted.

#23 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell: "fer the luvva my aunt petunia" he also had the justice league help him a lot against darkseid. Also, wolverine could cut him because of the Adamantium, that's more of a high feat for Adamantium than a low feat for the thing. And his trident is not Adamantium. Also, the thing went toe to toe against namor UNDER WATER. Thing clobbers

#24 Posted by Trodorne (2592 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing the Thing he would probably call Aquaman a nancy boy. Which would cause Arthur to maybe lose his cool for the first part. Once Thing lands in some good blows, Arthur would have to change up his strategy and try to get him into the water so his speed and strength can be doubled. or if anything destroy a fire hydron if he needs the quick strength boost.

And arthur is not a push over he has had the ability to manipulate water same as mera has in the past. with that. Arthur could technically mind control ben to him himself repeatedly using the water in his body. Arthur looking to make an example of Ben would just knock him out by beating him (unlikely) or by taking the fight into the water long enough until Ben passes out.

oh and also have a Strength chart if anyone wants to do comparisons. Click here.

#25 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

Aquaman wins this. He has been able to hurt Darkseid with his trident, So Thing should not be a problem.

And Thing has been hurt by Wolverine, who is way weaker than Aquaman. Does Thing have any TP resistants?

And i don't see any water there either

that is by far the worst ABC logic I have ever seen

1. Wolverine would be stabbing and slashing with Adamantium claws...he would never be able to hurt Thing with a straight punch

2. what does it matter if Thing has any TP resistance since Aquaman's TP only works on marine life it would be useless against Thing

#26 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

@trodorne said:

Knowing the Thing he would probably call Aquaman a nancy boy. Which would cause Arthur to maybe lose his cool for the first part. Once Thing lands in some good blows, Arthur would have to change up his strategy and try to get him into the water so his speed and strength can be doubled. or if anything destroy a fire hydron if he needs the quick strength boost.

And arthur is not a push over he has had the ability to manipulate water same as mera has in the past. with that. Arthur could technically mind control ben to him himself repeatedly using the water in his body. Arthur looking to make an example of Ben would just knock him out by beating him (unlikely) or by taking the fight into the water long enough until Ben passes out.

oh and also have a Strength chart if anyone wants to do comparisons. Click here.

this is New 52 Aquaman...he hasn't shown the ability to manipulate water...also his telepathy has been downgraded in the New 52 it only affects sea life now

#27 Posted by frogdog (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Not mention that Aquaman is able to hold his against Superman and Wonder-woman, which alot more impressive than being hulk's whipping boy.

#28 Posted by Lvenger (20777 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent. A battle with two combatants I know well. Time to find my scans of each one to see who would win.

#29 Posted by mightypug78 (354 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman wouldn't just stand there and take a clobbering from the Thing. He would do the sensible thing and lure him into the water, from there on in, its all in Aquaman's favor.

#30 Posted by Lvenger (20777 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by jwalser3 (5182 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, I love Ben but he is out classed.

#32 Edited by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk why exactly everyone thinks that the thing is just gonna waltz on into the ocean. And sucker punching superman does not mean anything. Going toe to toe with WW doesn't seal a win either.

#33 Posted by butters911 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

I went with the Thing. If he could take on Namor successfully underwater in AVX than Aquaman out of water should be fine

#34 Posted by joewell (6438 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not saying he defeated Darksied. Just hurt him. I'd think if his trident could hurt Darkseid it should be able to at least pirce Thing.

And why couldn't Aquaman do the same thing to Thing as Wolverine did?

If i'm wrong i'm wrong, sorry. I'm no expert on either and i'm not trying to get into a debate.

#35 Posted by Lvenger (20777 posts) - - Show Bio

I went with the Thing. If he could take on Namor successfully underwater in AVX than Aquaman out of water should be fine

I have to say that fight in particular was very dodgy. Ben shouldn't have been able to beat Namor underwater. Anyway, all he did was seal him in a giant clam and Namor broke out moments later. Hardly counts as a win in my book.

#36 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2009 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm I love both characters a lot and although I like Thing a little more I'm gonna try and stay unbias. I think that if the fight stays on land then Thing takes it not easily though but if Aquaman get's Thing in or near water it's over for our ever blue eyed Thing. you could use the arguments that Arthur BFR`D Superman with one punch but New 52 Superman is less powerful and durable than his Pre 52 counterpart just like Aquaman is more Powerful and Durable than his Pre 52 counterpart also Thing has taken hits from powerhouses like Hulk Thor Colossus Strong Guy Namor etc plus he has more experience dealing with Power Houses my big example would be Thing vs Namor. it`s been shown they are pretty even and that on land i think Thing usually get`s the upper hand but when they get into the water Namor always wins. this theory pretty much goes the same for Aquaman vs Thing over the years Thing has been underrated a great deal he went from being in the same class with Hulk and Thor but over the past couple of years he`s just become their punching bag I hope he becomes the Idol O Millions he once was :)

#37 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell: Darkseids eyes arent indestructible. I think you're underrating the claws. The thing can eat RPGs without taking damage. And he goes toe to toe with the hulk which is just as impressive as coin toe to toe with WW

#38 Posted by RazzaTazz (9679 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman uses his telepathy on marine creatures to summon the alligators that live in the NY sewers. Game over! (JK)

#39 Posted by frogdog (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk why exactly everyone thinks that the thing is just gonna waltz on into the ocean. And sucker punching superman does not mean anything. Going toe to toe with WW doesn't seal a win either.

Because Sucker punching superman is so easy......

#40 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog: in that comic it was. Batman set off an explosion, everyone was confused, aqua man punches him out of nowhere, they weren't even fighting each other and supes didn't retaliate. Then Wonder woman tossed him into a boat, where he AGAIN wipes away blood. The thing doesn't wipe away blood

#41 Edited by Shallbecomeabattoo (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman takes this. Relatively easy even.

His raw muscle power is pretty high in the new 52, as he can lift up and throw a pretty big armored truck without even blinking or straining himself. The Thing may still be stronger, but only maybe, since we haven't seen Arthur really giving his all yet. For all we know he could be at least on par with Thing.

The real problem the yancy street tenant has to face is not Arthurs raw muscle power, but the fact that his opponent is more or less better in everything else too, when it comes down to fighting. Arthur is quicker, even on land, has much more dexterity and is a much more strategic fighter. He really is no joke at all. All that already looks bad for Thing, but here is the real kicker... This is just straight forward battle stuff, not involving Arthurs powers at all. While Thing could beat Arthur in a boxing match or a street fight (I say could, not would, because I really do think that even thats a fight Arthur would take 6 out of 10 times), as soon as the fight goes near the Water, Thing is done for. Near water or better yet, IN water, Arthur takes this 10/10.

And to use the water against Ben Grimm, Arthur doesn't even have to be all that close to it. He can use some deep sea creatures to attack Ben or just throw him into the river.

Ben is no slouch, but Arthur would give Thor a good run for his money. He takes this.

#42 Posted by frogdog (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell: Darkseids eyes arent indestructible. I think you're underrating the claws. The thing can eat RPGs without taking damage. And he goes toe to toe with the hulk which is just as impressive as coin toe to toe with WW

Major difference being that Aquaman was able to statement wonder woman, thing got a$$ handed by hulk.

#43 Edited by Holuntron (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok so I'm guessing no other characters are allowed (meaning any of the other FF and Mera or Aqualad are unavailable) right? So would fish count? I mean I would assume Aquaman would try to use his aquatic abilities, but would he be allowed to use the aid of generic marine species?

#44 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog: that looks a lot like world war hulk, which would be the strongest version of the hulk, ever. Not to mention, everyone in marvel comics got their a$$ handed to em in World war hulk.

Also, you picked one out of a dozen times that they faced off.

So are you trying to say aquaman could go toe to toe with WWH?

#45 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5139 posts) - - Show Bio

On land Thing wins, in water Aqualame wins.

#46 Posted by WallCrawlerCapedCrusader (34 posts) - - Show Bio

This could really go either way.

#47 Edited by The Stegman (25076 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman wins. And no, Thing "beating" Namor in AvX is not a good feat.

#49 Posted by RedX17 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman can lift thousands of tons, has sucker punched super man, has limited super speed out of water and great speed in, only recieves a minor scratch from a machine gun.

Thing can lift 85 tons and is completely bulletproof. Aquaman wins.

#50 Posted by joewell (6438 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither are Things ( are they? ).

And how does Thing do against non brutes?