Comic Vine Awards - Best Of 2008, Round 2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Seems there was some animosity yesterday with the winners of the first three categories.  As I said, if you have a favorite...whatever, talk about it on the boards.  Make sure it has a kick ass page.  Let others know why such and such is so good.  I say more comic book talk in 2009!

For the COMIC VINE picks:

Best Death: Jonathan Kent

It's hard to call any death "great."  Jonathan has always proven to be a noble man with strong beliefs.  He always stood for the right thing.  In the end, he protected his wife, giving his life for his true love.  It may have been a way to get mention in the news, but this is a death that will be felt for some time.  It's also one that wouldn't be as likely to be easily reverted.

An honorable mention goes to Marvin White, just because I never thought I'd see Wonderdog chomping on Marvin. 

Maybe next year we can include "worst death" and "cheapest death" among others...

Best Artist: Mark Bagley

Another hard one.  I've made it clear that I love Mike Allred and Alan Davis' art.  For the year, I have to give it to Mark Bagley.  He has always proven that he can draw anyone and can also stay with his deadlines.  I was bummed that he left Marvel to work with DC.  His take on the characters has been great as expected.  I'm not overjoyed with the Trinity series but he has taken on quite the task with a weekly title.  I look forward to seeing more of his consistent quality.  It seems he never stops working.

If I could make this a tie, Stjepan Sejic would have been given it too.  Every month I am simply amazed at what he is able to do.  I went back and forth so many times with this right to the last minute.  He is another guy that has no problem sticking to a schedule.  If you're not reading Witchblade, you're missing out on a lot.

Best Story Arc: Old Man Logan

Surprise.  I would've thought it'd have been Secret Invasion but Old Man Logan has done something we haven't really seen before.  We have a version of Wolverine that we haven't seen a million times already.  The delays have been hard.  We are kept in suspense waiting to figure out what exactly caused Logan to change his ferocious ways.  The addition of a blind archer (Clint) and his surprising relation with Spider-Man's daughter were unexpected. 

And let's not forget the Spider-Buggy.

I'd like to mention that New Krypton came close as well.  Johns and Frank's work on Superman is a reason people should put away their hate for Supes and try picking up the title.

Now run over and check the USER PICKS

Tomorrow (Monday) the winners for Best Comic Book Movie, Best One-Shot and Best Return.
Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Darkchild

i like these results

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Nighthunter
R.I.P Jonathan Kent
R.I.P Jonathan Kent
Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Darkchild
Nighthunter said:
"
R.I.P Jonathan Kent
R.I.P Jonathan Kent
"
That was a sad issue,but the issue that followed BADASS.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

I'm surprised people voted Kitty Pryde stuck on a magic bullet the best death.  I wish I would've had time for a Lamest Death category.  Or maybe gimmickiest death.

Graft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Graft

Nice

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By pixelized

I thought michael turner won best artist? And best story arc was SI?

Sejic is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaing though.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

Turner was a great cover artist.  I would've liked to have seen more actual comics rather than just all the covers he did.

The Minuteman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Minuteman

I'm not blown away by Bagley, but I guess I can get behind the others.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

Few more hours until the next batch is revealed.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sora_thekey
G-Man said:
"I'm surprised people voted Kitty Pryde stuck on a magic bullet the best death.  I wish I would've had time for a Lamest Death category.  Or maybe gimmickiest death."
I didn´t think that was fair because Kitty could well be alive
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck

Technically anyone that dies in comics could still be alive.  Depends on what the next writer cooks up.  I love Kitty Pryde and wasn't happy with her "end."  I felt I should give her the mention in the category.  I've also seen other sources refer to it as a death.  Yeah she could still be riding that bullet but how long can she hold out without eating or sleeping or simply dying of boredom?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By pixelized

Same  here... Turner an SI had one best artist and Story arc respectively

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slinger
aztek the lost said:
"? these weren't the winners when I checked o_O"
I think these are the staff picks
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gmanfromheck

By Comic Vine picks, it's the site's official (staff) view.  User picks are the community.

Graft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Graft

I like the User Picks more than the Staff picks..

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
aztek the lost said:
"G-Man said:
"By Comic Vine picks, it's the site's official (staff) view.  User picks are the community."
oooooooh. well, I think your picks are far better than the community's. are they going to show up under the "Staff Picks" tab eventually?"
No.  I've decided not to use the Staff Picks section since the other staff couldn't get things together enough to contribute.  Comic Vine is a community of users but it is also a new source.  When news is posted, it's posted by myself.  That's why there are site picks.  Are my picks better than the community's?  Not according to Graft.  That's why there was the site's picks and user picks.  At least users were allowed to vote in all categories (unlike one of our sister sites that did year end awards also).  No reason to get in a tissy over it.