Comic Vine 2013 Comic Awards

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

If you have seen Comic Vine Community Recognition for 2013 which was posted yesterday, then you know that for the third year in a row myself and @razzatazz hosted Comic Vine 2013 Comic Awards and Community Recognition. This would be the annual look back to see what people liked in the community and comics in 2013. This thread of course is dedicated to the comic section of this annual poll (based on my monthly Best of the Month Poll which I like to advertise especially since Best of the Month (Dec 2013) is still open).

Looking back at Comic Vine 2012 Comic Awards, there are some similarities and some differences between this years results and last year. One such difference was that we had 24 voters this year (an increase!), but same basic idea remains (their votes 1st place = 3pts, 2nd place = 2pts, 3rd place = 1 pt) and the top 5 items winning. So here are the 12 categories for comics!

Best Writer of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Jeff Lemire
  2. Scott Snyder
  3. Geoff Johns
  4. Mark Waid
  5. Brian K. Vaughan / Greg Pak (TIE)

Best Artist of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Andrea Sorrentino
  2. Jim Lee
  3. Ivan Reis
  4. Tony Daniel
  5. Fiona Staples / Francis Manapul / Greg Capullo

Best Cover Artist of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Alex Ross
  2. J.H. Williams
  3. Alex Garner
  4. Michael Del Mundo
  5. Francesco Francavilla

Best Ongoing Series of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Green Arrow
  2. Batman
  3. Aquaman / Thor: God of Thunder (TIE)
  4. Saga
  5. New Avengers

Best Mini Series of 2013

No Caption Provided
What is your opinion? Which mini series do you think is better? Which do you like more? or which do you think is more deserving of this category?
What is your opinion? Which mini series do you think is better? Which do you like more? or which do you think is more deserving of this category?
  1. Forever Evil / The Wake (TIE)
  2. Infinity
  3. Mara
  4. Kick-Ass 3
  5. Forever Evil: Arkham War / Trillium

Best Single Issue of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Green Lantern #20 - The End
  2. Hawkeye #11 / Infinity #3 / Superman/Wonder Woman #1
  3. Aquaman #25
  4. Batman and Robin Annual #1
  5. Batman and Robin #18

Best Male Hero of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman
  2. Superman
  3. Green Arrow
  4. Hawkeye
  5. Aquaman

Best Female Hero of 2013

Razz didn't even vote this year and WW still won by a lead of 10 pts :)
Razz didn't even vote this year and WW still won by a lead of 10 pts :)
  1. Wonder Woman
  2. Captain Marvel
  3. Kate Bishop
  4. Batgirl / Hit-Girl / Storm (TIE)
  5. Batwoman / Forever Carlyle / Shado (TIE)

Best Male Villain of 2013

Now in this category I give you two options: if you believe Red Hood Leader = Joker, then Mr.J wins outright. otherwise, Joker is tied with Gorr and Red Hood leader is #5. Either option works
Now in this category I give you two options: if you believe Red Hood Leader = Joker, then Mr.J wins outright. otherwise, Joker is tied with Gorr and Red Hood leader is #5. Either option works
  1. Joker / Red Hood Leader
  2. Gorr the God Butcher
  3. Thanos
  4. Ultraman(actually this is for "Injustice League" so I'm not sure what that means being a group. Did people mean The Outsider? I don't know...)
  5. Lex Luthor

Best Female Villain of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Harley Quinn
  2. Cheetah
  3. Mystique
  4. Trickster
  5. Strife

Best Supported Character of 2013

No Caption Provided
  1. Foggy Nelson
  2. Alfred Pennyworth / Batman / James Gordon / Kate Bishop / Mera (TIE...also: Batman?! who does HE support?)
  3. Shado
  4. Pizza Dog aka "lucky"
  5. Michonne / Rogue / The Question

Best Story Arc of 2013

This category is the closest of all: 1pt between each ranking
This category is the closest of all: 1pt between each ranking
  1. Infinity
  2. The God Butcher
  3. Death of the Family / Trinity War (TIE)
  4. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
  5. Death of a King / H'el On Earth (TIE)

and that is it folks! It has been fun!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@allstarsuperman@batkevin74@batmannflash@battle_forum_junkie@deranged_midget@enigmalantern@jairamganpat@jaken7@jhazzroucher@johnkmccubbin91@jokergeist@jsh92@kilomac29@lifeboy@lvenger@lykopis@madeinbangladesh@manneffest@mistresssobeautiful@owie@pokeysteve@renchamp@tomlikesfries@scouts1998 Thank you all for voting! here are the results!

Also: if you haven't already, I would ask that (if you can) please vote in Best of the Month (Dec 2013) ! Would love to see a lot of your votes there (I always hearing what other people like). Sorry for the plug, but this would be good as time as any to plug it :P

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Why did I even bother voting. T-T lol

good work @the_poet How long does it take for you to compile all the information for these lists?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Batman is totally a supporting character to Superman :-p

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The Poet  Moderator

@jairamganpat: not too long. probably what I have the most trouble with is if people stray from the template formatting or they misspell a character's name. If it's formatted right, I just copy/paste votes into my ready-made spreadsheet (well, this wasn't ready made, but in the case of the best of the month poll the spreadsheet is ready made). each row already has values already so I just copy the three choices and paste them like so:

Eric Stephenson3
Nick Spencer2
Greg Rucka1

[your votes for best writer btw as ex]. then I copy everyone's votes after everyone has had the chance to vote/change their votes into a new tab where I sort each category alphabetically (where I add all the duplicate names together) and then I sort it by the value thus giving me the results. Only difficulty after that is ties. Previously, I used my votes to tie break, but near the beginning of last year I decided I wanted more transparency.

So it sounds long, but it doesn't seem like that to me. This only took longer because I was waiting for a reply from Razz about the community, I wanted a bit of time between the community results and this, plus for some reason I wanted to do links for this poll (for best of the month I'm not that fancy :P )

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Great job, The Poet. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this (especially your monthly tallying) and I am aiming to participate in that more. It's been (still is) difficult trying to catch up in my reading.

I am so happy Lucky got some love. :)

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By EnigmaLantern

Awesome results, absolutely love the fact that Green Lantern issue 20 was the Best Issue of 2013, fully deserved!

Also agree fully with Green Arrow as the Best Ongoing Series, it has been nothing short of immense.

Really love the fact Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire and Greg Pak made it into the Top 5 Writers of 2013, my favourite current writers!

Jim Lee, Tony Daniel and Greg Capullo are also very well deserved Top 5 Artists of 2013, just wish Rocafort made it into that top 5, his work has also been nothing short of brilliant in my opinion.

And very glad that The Godbutcher and Trinity War made it into the Top 5 Story Arcs of 2013.

All in all a happy guy with all the votes and results. By the way, great job by both @the_poet and @razzatazz for compiling this list and the community list.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

It's great to see a wide spread of choices and a real showing of the community's voting and influence ever prevalent in the final results. A great deal of thanks to you @the_poet for all your hard work and effort in tallying the results up and putting this list together. Same to @razzatazz for her sterling efforts in the community list as well. I haven't read all my December comics to vote on the other poll I'm afraid :(

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I agree with best writer, artist, series, mini series, single issue, and all the best character ones.

I did not expect to see Green Arrow dominate.

Last year it would've been on everyone's worst series lists!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Pokeysteve

Wow didn't expect Cheetah to get enough love to have her in second.
I'm loving all the ties as well. Spread the love.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 owie  Moderator

Interesting to see some series I wasn't thinking about and haven't been reading. It's always so hard to think what came out over the past year! I just gave up when it came to things like best issue. I may have to finally start reading Green Arrow.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Congratz to Lemire, Green Arrow, and Sorrentino! They deserve it!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The Poet  Moderator

I agree with best writer, artist, series, mini series, single issue, and all the best character ones.

I did not expect to see Green Arrow dominate.

Last year it would've been on everyone's worst series lists!

yeah, it's remarkable how much of a turn around GA has had this year. We almost never saw GA over at the Best of the Month (except when random users voted for it and those users didn't have many titles on their pull list), but it won best series of the year OVER BATMAN NO LESS. That's an achievement! I'd say no matter who people think should be Best Writer/artist of the year, they have to tip their hat to Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino for that turn around in opinion.

Interestingly enough, Cheetah actually won best female villain last year. And, since I like to be honest/transparent about results, she would have won this year (tieing with Harley), but Poet decided to put a single pt to Harley (as a way of wishing her luck in her new ongoing). Technically I didn't vote (wasn't one of the 24 people who posted their votes in the thread or pmed me), but I feel the mesly single vote for this year's award wouldn't be considered illegal (not that drastic of a change...could have official voted and done the same thing).

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The Poet  Moderator

@owie said:

Interesting to see some series I wasn't thinking about and haven't been reading. It's always so hard to think what came out over the past year! I just gave up when it came to things like best issue. I may have to finally start reading Green Arrow.

yeah, that's why I love these polls. I have the opportunity to see what other people like. I think it's always fascinating...

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The Poet  Moderator

@enigmalantern: @lvenger: thank you both very much. these polls are always very fun. I am not as crazy about the community aspect of the awards (Never did care much for popularity contests because there is always deserving individuals don't get a spot which is why that aspect of the poll Razz's domain) but since we no longer have starlets/spotlights on people it is nice to have that and I admit it was interesting to pull double duty in counting/compiling (and this means I have a spreadsheet template for next year).

My colleague is detained at least until tomorrow (the story I'm telling is she is unearthing some long lost copy of Wonder Woman in some Indiana Jones sort of expedition complete with Nazis), but she would undoubtedly thank you as well :P

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Wow I didn't realize tht many people on here liked Green Arrow. Awesome!

Where y'all been?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nice to see Kick-Ass 3 made the list. And i am super surprised that Hit-Girl made it up there with Storm and Batgirl

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pokeysteve

@the_poet said:
@pokeysteve said:

Interestingly enough, Cheetah actually won best female villain last year. And, since I like to be honest/transparent about results, she would have won this year (tieing with Harley), but Poet decided to put a single pt to Harley (as a way of wishing her luck in her new ongoing). Technically I didn't vote (wasn't one of the 24 people who posted their votes in the thread or pmed me), but I feel the mesly single vote for this year's award wouldn't be considered illegal (not that drastic of a change...could have official voted and done the same thing).

Appreciate the honesty and I agree. Harley's title is great so far.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 owie  Moderator

@the_poet said:

@owie said:

yeah, that's why I love these polls. I have the opportunity to see what other people like. I think it's always fascinating...

Me too. I appreciate the job you do around here with that stuff. I don't always get around to voting, but it's enjoyable to see.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The Poet  Moderator

@pokeysteve: Transparency is always priorty on any of my community projects. If people want numbers on how close a ranking is (like how Infinity is only 1 pt above god butcher) or if people want to see the spreadsheet for the full stats I will gladly pm a link.

I hope Harley's title does well. It seems to have so much potential.

@owie: thanks. I'm glad there are people who find these threads as interesting as I do.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_poet said:

@pokeysteve: Transparency is always priorty on any of my community projects. If people want numbers on how close a ranking is (like how Infinity is only 1 pt above god butcher) or if people want to see the spreadsheet for the full stats I will gladly pm a link.

I hope Harley's title does well. It seems to have so much potential.

With art and story like that how can it not? Thanks for putting this all together. It was fun.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Great job at putting up this awards ceremony! It's always nice to see what the community thinks about the comic books being published and you did a fantastic job at setting up this post! I'm so glad that Scott Snyder and Brian K. Vaughan are the top 5 writers of 2013 and I'm also glad that Saga was nominated for being one of the best ongoing series! It really was a fantastic series!

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By MannEffest

I'm sad Jonathan Hickman didn't make it in :( I love what he has been doing with Avengers and New Avengers, and what he did with Infinity. And Wonder Woman and Batman make best Female and Male Hero, again? Over Captain Marvel and Aquaman? *Sigh* the people have spoken...

Although, I'm SOOO GLAD Harley is Best female villain of the Year and that The Wake got a surprise mention :D

As always, fantastic job @the_poet. Thank you for all the time you put into this!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

So glad to see Green Arrow (and its team) win.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mxyzptlk_CV

Nice...Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run is really great...

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, a lot of readink to do then comrades!

BTW how is the new GotG series?