Comic Vine 2012 Comic Awards

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Do you know how many comics were published in 2012? No? Well, neither do I, but we do know what was the best comics 2012 based on your votes!

That's right! The results are in! Yesterday, you saw who won Comic Vine Community Recognition for 2012 as posted by RazzaTazz. Now, today, we get to see the Comic end of this poll as posted by the apparently the "helpful", "hardworking", "Most Community Involved" "Favorite Moderator" (I question "Helpful" :P but seriously I'm honored and humbled...). Anywho, on to the results!

Best Writer of 2012

Scott Snyder used his Jedi powers to make you vote for him!
Scott Snyder used his Jedi powers to make you vote for him!
  1. Scott Snyder
  2. Geoff Johns
  3. Dan slott
  4. Grant Morrison
  5. Matt Fraction

Best Artist of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Jim Lee
  2. Francis Manapul
  3. Fiona Staples
  4. David Aja
  5. J.H Williams III

Best Cover Artist of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Fiona Staples
  2. David Aja
  3. Francis Manapul
  4. Skottie Young
  5. Alex Ross

Best Ongoing Series of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman
  2. Amazing Spider-Man
  3. Saga
  4. Aquaman
  5. Green Lantern

Best Mini Series of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Spider-Men
  2. Punisher: War Zone
  3. Star Wars Darth Maul: Death Sentence
  4. Avengers: The Children's Crusade
  5. Avengers Vs. X-Men

Best Single Issue of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman #14
  2. Indestructible Hulk #1
  3. Green Lantern Annual #1
  4. Uncanny X-Force #34
  5. The Walking Dead #100

Best Male Hero of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Batman
  2. Aquaman
  3. Spider-Man
  4. Nightwing
  5. Superman / Animal Man (tie)

Best Female Hero of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Wonder Woman
  2. Batgirl
  3. Ms Marvel (captain Marvel)
  4. Batwoman
  5. Psylocke / Spider Woman (tie)

Best Male Villain of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Joker
  2. Doctor Octopus
  3. Dr. Doom
  4. Cyclops
  5. Daken / Negan (tie)

Best Female Villain of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Cheetah
  2. Lady Shiva
  3. Enchantress
  4. Hera
  5. Talia Al Ghul

Best New Character of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Talon
  2. Simon Baz
  3. Alana
  4. Harper Row
  5. Nobody

Best Moment in Comics of 2012

No Caption Provided
  1. Surprise Twist in The Amazing Spider-Man #698
  2. Joker returns to DC, has his face cut off and begins his "Death of the Family" plot
  3. Formation of the Justice League formation and Battling Darseid
  4. Events of Court of Owls
  • DOOP Issue (Wolverine and the XMEN)
  • Origninal XMEN goes to the future ( ALL New XMEN)
  • Daredevil finally having enough of Kingpin in DAREDEVIL END OF DAYS #1
  • Kid Loki has to send Leah away without talking to her
  • Swamp thing #14 Swamp thing gets very big

Later 5 are tied...

And that's all folks!

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#1  Edited By TheCannon

I'm gonna ask two things:

1. How the heck did Batman take first for best series? It doesn't compare to ANYTHING written by Geoff Johns.
  2. How did Geoff Johns not take #1 for best writer? Did everyone just decide this year not to vote for him? He is the greatest comic book writer DC has ever had, and makes Snyder's work look like it belongs in the sewer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I'm surprised that Mark Waid didn't get into the best writers list...

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#3  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

:( all things popular won.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#4  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@TheCannon said:

1. How the heck did Batman take first for best series? It doesn't compare to ANYTHING written by Geoff Johns.
  2. How did Geoff Johns not take #1 for best writer? Did everyone just decide this year not to vote for him? He is the greatest comic book writer DC has ever had, and makes Snyder's work look like it belongs in the sewer.

That's your opinion. I'm not a big fan of Geoff Johns. Scott Snyder did amazing things this year (Batman, Swamp Thing, American Vampire)

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Some great picks.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By x_29

Nice

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@TheCannon said:

As @MadeinBangladesh: said, that's your opinion. I like the styles of both writers (please don't crucify me fans, but I would prefer either of those two to Morrison any day, but I digress..).

You asked how Synder won best writer. Johns had 16 votes (I won't/can't tell you how many people that means because of my system, but if you have a mind you can look it up). Now double that and that's what Snyder has. 32. The next highest, Dan slott has 7 (which means Johns is double plus one over Slott).

Your first question is in regards to best series. You may ask me in an informal setting whose series I prefer, but in threads like this I try to be the impartial host. Batman had 20 and Aquaman, a series written by Johns, had but just 9. Please don't take this the wrong way but based on this data it seems a lot of people like Snyder's work. This doesn't mean Johns isn't a good writer (I have never seen many low ratings to his work and his work has appeared as a canadate in my Best of the Month Poll numerous times), but perhaps this means there are more readers of Batman than say Aquaman or the many other series Johns writes for.

I don't know. It's hard to tell with stuff like this...if its caused by less readership, people preferring Synder to Johns, or what the deal is. I can only give you my data.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Batnandez

Saga>Batman for me. I don't think Lee deserves to be on the list only because much of his old stuff is better. Capulo has absolutely killed it though.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sinestro_GL

Wow...I didn't think anyone else was going to vote for GL Annual #1 for best issue :D

Although I kinda disagree with Batman #14 getting the nod for best issue, for me, i.e.in my OWN opinion, that wasn't even the best Batman issue since the reboot.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#10  Edited By tomlikesfries

Nice. But seeing Batman #14 as best of the year is a bit weird. I guess people forget the past issues. I mean, Batman #5 or #8 were better in my opinion.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@sinestro_GL said:

Wow...I didn't think anyone else was going to vote for GL Annual #1 for best issue :D

yeah, it was nice issue. Was a little suprised it wasn't in the subscription I was given last year for christmas, but at least I got it...

@tomlikesfries said:

Nice. But seeing Batman #14 as best of the year is a bit weird. I guess people forget the past issues. I mean, Batman #5 or #8 were better in my opinion.

well, of the Batman issues 14 was the one with the most backing. 8 & 5 were voted for, but they just weren't high enough actully get anywhere.

I was really suprised how diverse the Best issue was. It was really spread out more than I thought it would be...

Maikky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maikky

Shits Rig yo, Batwomen should have won and be all the nominees .

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Maikky said:

Shits Rig yo,

you honestly think that's true? I would be happy to show you my spread sheet where I have talleyed everything. or you could count the votes. Here's a link to the voting thread: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/comic-vine-2012-comic-awards-and-community-recognition/731466/ If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Best moment might be the most chaotic so compiling that will be fun, but I'm sure you'll do fine :D

If anyone including you thinks this is rigged I can provide evendence to the contrary, but I don't need to...

Maikky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maikky

@The Poet: Yeah, sarcasm doesn't translate well into text forum, tis my fault for that .

Anyway, Batwomen = the best in my book .

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow? DC Pwn3d these awards, only lost "Best Moment in Comics of 2012"

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Maikky: oh, ok. thanks for the clarification

@drgnx said:

Wow? DC Pwn3d these awards, only lost "Best Moment in Comics of 2012"

yeah, and even that was just by one point...

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Poet:Go figure ;)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#18  Edited By RazzaTazz

@The Poet: Cool stuff! Lots of good work and a well deserved thank you for compiling this as well as every other monthly list throughout the year :)

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCannon said:

come on man geoff is good but scott is just better, way better

@The Poet:greet awards,but why is fraction in the top 5 anyway, the last time i read him was his atrocious fear itself and his tasteless thor

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@higher_evolutionary: why? that's really not a question I can answer. I can interpret the data and tell you he had 6 points (which is the same amount as Morrison got with Dan Slott ahead by one with 7). however, I can not explain why he was choice. how is a question I can answer, but why is something I can't explain. My data on that side of the voting is quite lacking...

@RazzaTazz said:

@The Poet: Cool stuff! Lots of good work and a well deserved thank you for compiling this as well as every other monthly list throughout the year :)

my pleasure...

:)

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By CapFanboy

@TheCannon said:

1) Batman was an absolutely brilliant series this year full of amazing writing and art. Geoff Johns is usually my pick for best DC writer as well but his stuff this year just felt meh. It was nowhere near as good as I was expecting it to be.

2) Snyder just out-shined Johns this year. Batman was a much better series than anything anyone else at DC wrote. Maybe next year.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CapFanboy

@The Poet said:

@higher_evolutionary: why? that's really not a question I can answer. I can interpret the data and tell you he had 6 points (which is the same amount as Morrison got with Dan Slott ahead by one with 7). however, I can not explain why he was choice. how is a question I can answer, but why is something I can't explain. My data on that side of the voting is quite lacking...

Iron Man? He did some decent stuff there. Guess It's just personal taste

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By RedOwl_1

I can really agree with a lot of this choices It's a good list

@TheCannon said:

2. Justice League... your argument is invalid (Geoff is awesome, but teams are his weak point, if he wouldn't done so crappy with JL maybe he could have won)

@guttridgeb said:

I'm surprised that Mark Waid didn't get into the best writers list...

Pretty much agree.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Billy Batson

@RedOwl_1 said:

(Geoff is awesome, but teams are his weak point, if he wouldn't done so crappy with JL maybe he could have won)

Nah, his JSA and Teen Titans were great.
BB

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#25  Edited By time1

Matt Fraction is on th list, that's just sad. Glad too seen Jim Lee there, Lee the Man.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TDK_1997

I love all of your picks.This is really accurate.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@TDK_1997 said:

I love all of your picks.This is really accurate.

well not really my picks. It's what the voters wanted. I would have a few slight alterations to the results if I was in charge, but that's another thread to be released at another time I'm sure...

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hanson724

No Punk Rock Jesus for best miniseries? Wow thats a great book.And I'm not surprised Capullo didn't win but to not even make the list....ouch

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By thespideyguy

@TheCannon said:

Like Geoff Johns but Snyder's work is somehow darker than Johns.