• 117 results
#1 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

When is the new site launching?

We'll let you know a couple days in advance. It will be within the next 2 weeks.

What is changing?

We rebuilt the entire site, both in design and codebase from scratch. You can check my blog or previous posts for more specifics about features. The changes are mostly improvements upon current concepts. Nothing major has changed in the nav structure or editing flow of the system, we've just improved tools that already existed based on feedback from you guys and the mods. We were very careful not to change ideas and navigation that was perfectly fine already.

What's the launch plan?

We'll switch the site over late at night so we can minimize the traffic burst we normally get during the day. There will be a blackout period of a couple hours while we move the latest data from the site across. During this blackout period the site will either not be available at all, or any new edits / posts / points on the site will not be carried over to the new site during those hours. If we run into problems when we launch, we'll flip back to the old site, address the problems and try to flip the switch at a later time, repeating the same process.

Will my edits/points/posts/profile be ported over?

Yes. Since we're literally porting to a new database and layout system there may be small layout glitches or broken links, but in general there will be nothing you can't fix.

What's the deal with the new editor? What kind of markup will the new site have?

As you may have heard we're dropping the use of Markdown and HTML within editable fields on comicvine (wiki, forum posts, profile bios...etc). This was done for 2 reasons. One, to remove the ability for members to accidently break portions of the layout, and Two, to make it easier to add content.

We're introducing a word style editor onto the site that allows you to make headers, insert formatted images and edit documents as they look on the page, instead of having to edit actual code.

Doing this means we had to convert all the old content on the current site into a more structured format. This meant converting links, removing the javascript menu systems people added into wikis, and converting images added into a single style.

On a small minority of pages (looks to be around 1%) this conversion process accidently deleted small portions of text, or in more drastic cases, the entire article (I've only seen this on 5 pages personally, but I'm sure you'll find more). This happened because some of you guys were a little more complicated with your html/css/js then normal. Our system just couldn't figure out what you were trying to do.

To address this, when we relaunch, we'll provide links on every bio page to the old content as it was before the launch. This way you can copy over the old content into the new site manually and recover those edge cases. Think of it as an easter egg hunt where you can earn some easy points.

What browsers will the new site work on?

Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino and IE7+ all work fine. We will likely turn off edit abilities for IE6 because it burps on some of the advanced editing features, but the site will still browse fine for those of you lazy cats that haven't updated your browser in 3 years.

Will my old bookmarks work?

Yes, though we have a new URL structure, you should automatically be redirected to the new URL. If you aren't, just leave us a note on the boards.

What can members do to help us out during launch?

1. Report bugs by providing a link, a detailed explanation of what is wrong, and your computer/browser stats.

2. Hunt through the site and fix any markdown conversion mishaps.

3. During the first two weeks, limit your editing to fixes and not huge additions. As you can imagine, we're going to be getting a HUGE amount of submissions just from everyone trying the new site out. Take it easy on us so we can spend more time fixing bugs then worrying about moderating content.

4. Have patience. There will be bugs, there will be weirdness, there will be pages that take waaaay too long to load, and there will be searches that don't work. It will take a solid couple of weeks to get everything 100%. Take it easy on us and report bugs in a detailed fashion so we can fix it.

5. Give us constructive criticism. We dig the new site, but there's prolly stuff we did this time around that will piss you guys off. That's normal, and site's evolve, so don't think anything we did is set in stone. This has always been a community run site and we'll change the site as needed to make everyone here happy.

Anything else to know?

We've changed our company name from Enemy Kite to Whiskey Media if anyone cares. As part of rebuilding this site, we merged the company with some old friends of ours from the CNET days and who we worked with on Political Base. That means the new comicvine was built by Red LAMP, myself and also a few new heroes. We'll try to get a photo shoot in next week so they can show off their costumes :). The new company still owns Comic VIne 100% so you shouldn't notice anything different as far as management goes. There's now just a couple more engineers for people to blame when things break!

Does that mean there will be ads on the new site?

Not yet. We're actually launching the site ad-free! But eventually that will change (though likely not for awhile). Anything we eventually do in regards to ads will be tasteful, with standard ad sizes and no more then one per page.

Other questions?

Feel free to ask any questions here. I'll do my best to answer them. Please try to keep your queries to launch specific questions, and not feature requests.

Staff
#2 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84550 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#3 Posted by SuperCoonce (425 posts) - - Show Bio

hurry up and launch this sucker ;P

Staff
#4 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

but late at night is when I spend all my time on the Vine :(

hopes they launch it while he's on vacation next week so it won't ruin his Vine time

#5 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

At long last

#6 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent Job! To you and all the others that are working so hard to make the site better than it already is, I thank you.

#7 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

coooooooool this is gonna be awesome

#8 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

Editing tutorial for the character page. Enjoy.

Staff
#9 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY! I have an avatar that I've BEEN waiting to use, but I told myself that since it is my "White Mage 2.0" look, that I have to wait for the 2.0 to open. I am SOOO looking forward to this.

#10 Posted by What Lies in Shadows (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! ...now I don't have to worry about all that HTML I learned just to edit pages

#11 Posted by Boken (7756 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was a myth

#12 Posted by Vlad Tepes Dracula (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

lol nice

#13 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely cannot wait.

#14 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

This all looks cool so far. It must be a reief that the end is in sight for you guys... at least until 3.0

#15 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#16 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy shit that is cool!

Staff
#17 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks so awesome...just dont want to learn any new stuff or break any habits I got now v_v
Post Edited:2008-06-01 08:01:55

#18 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#19 Posted by Shatterstar (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never seen anything like that on any kind of user-contribution website, pretty damn impressive looking.

#20 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#21 Posted by Wulfgar (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#22 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6194 posts) - - Show Bio

Pages look so much better, hope the switch goes smoothly

#23 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6194 posts) - - Show Bio

WOO-HOO we can finally add DEATHS OF CHARACTERS! I'm going to be a Grim Reaper on day one!

#24 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#25 Posted by Octagon Freak (11158 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited, but I'm afraid of the bugs. You guys may not see me for awhile if they start to get to me.

But I'm sure that my absense won't disturb anyone, and things will carry on as usual.

#26 Posted by Nia Wolf (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow..you had to work very hard, bcs It looks awesome §_§

Btw..Will you add icons for other powers?

Post Edited:2008-06-02 02:39:06

#27 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Cascader says:

"Editing tutorial for the character page. Enjoy."

wow that feature of putting pics into the page without going through all the code so nice.

also gonna help me in editing ones ive already done.

#28 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

damn, my thread isn't pinned any more, it was bound to happen, I'm ready for the launch, pumped!

#29 Posted by hidan (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Show a sample of THE old Comicvine.

#30 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

hidan says:

"Show a sample of THE old Comicvine."

your on it ya half a meatball

#31 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

hotness

#32 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got a question. Well I be able to finally log on to my psp or htc touch phone lol??

#33 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

htc?

#34 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

CV 2.0 is awesome, us mods got to test it out.

#35 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

zero edge says:

"CV 2.0 is awesome, us mods got to test it out."

it is amazingly cool...

the system is lovely and the new forum stuff... well, i'll wait for everyone else to see it because you are going to be gobsmacked!

M

#36 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"zero edge says:
it is amazingly cool... the system is lovely and the new forum stuff... well, i'll wait for everyone else to see it because you are going to be gobsmacked! M"

sweet!!

#37 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"zero edge says:

it is amazingly cool...

the system is lovely and the new forum stuff... well, i'll wait for everyone else to see it because you are going to be gobsmacked!

M"

LoL...sounds awesome! =D

#38 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

zero edge says:

I knew I should have earned my "mod badge" at Vine Scouts.

#39 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

"htc?"

Phone.

My question hasn't been answered yet??

#40 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

Just an update. We're looking to launch the new site on Thursday. We will likely turn off wiki submission at some point either tomorrow or wednesday. I'll make an announcement when we have a definitive plan or timeline, but if you really really want to make sure your submissions/topics/profile changes make it over to the new site, I'd do them today.

We've opened up an alpha version of the site to the mods and they've been helping us hunt down bugs.

Staff
#41 Posted by Octagon Freak (11158 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly should we do with our profile information?

#42 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

Octagon Freak says:

"What exactly should we do with our profile information?"

During the blackout period, any changes to the old site won't make it over to the new site.

Although there shouldn't be any major problems with the import, you could always be super safe and back up your biography.

Staff
#43 Posted by Octagon Freak (11158 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Cascader says:

"Octagon Freak says:
"What exactly should we do with our profile information?"
During the blackout period, any changes to the old site won't make it over to the new site. Although there shouldn't be any major problems with the import, you could always be super safe and back up your biography. "

Well, I won't be making any changes any time soon, so I'm really not that worried about it. Thanks for the warning though!

#44 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30074 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"zero edge says:
it is amazingly cool... the system is lovely and the new forum stuff... well, i'll wait for everyone else to see it because you are going to be gobsmacked! M"

I hate you guys -___-

#45 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

we <3 you so it's okay

#46 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

idk

#47 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

How come I'm still not getting an answered. He asked once He got it. I asked twice I still sit here whats up with that??

#48 Posted by Agent Paradox 9 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"How come I'm still not getting an answered. He asked once He got it. I asked twice I still sit here whats up with that??"

Probably because that exact question was answered by him in the old thread.

The answer is no, it won't be able to work on PSP or on phones, but he may work on that.

I'm looking forward to the release of the newer site.

#49 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Agent Paradox 9 says:

"zee crusher says:
"How come I'm still not getting an answered. He asked once He got it. I asked twice I still sit here whats up with that??"
Probably because that exact question was answered by him in the old thread. The answer is no, it won't be able to work on PSP or on phones, but he may work on that. I'm looking forward to the release of the newer site. "

There was and old thread? Also all he had to to was tell me that. Chances are if I keep asking I didn't know it was answered