Comic Convention horror stories.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By BR_Havoc

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone out there has a comic convention horror story? Was there very someone you wanted to meet to only learn that person was a dick or have a bad experience with an artist?

Personally at the most recent comic convention I went to the Fan Expo in Toronto, I wanted in line to commission an artist, paid his helper and was told to come back at the end of the night for my cover. He never finished it and he had 4 days to do it. I would go back every day and was told the same thing, Oh it's coming don't worry or it's up next. After being blown off by him and his helper on the last day I was told to leave my address and they will mail it to me. It's been 3 weeks and have received nothing, I have no email or anything to contact the artist. At this point and time I do not believe I will ever receive this cover that I paid for, and it's a let down.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@br_havoc: Do you want to say who it is?

I have only had good experience with celebrities at cons but some booth owners are f****.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@br_havoc:

I paid for a commission to be done by Clay Mann at Boston Comic Con last month. He never showed up on the following day which was the last day of the Con so I never got the sketch. I'm still working on getting everything taken care of. I've accepted that I'll probably just take the loss in the end though.

My experience with Jason Momoa (Conan/Game of Thrones) was great. He was friendly and there were no problems. But I did hear from others during the convention that he was rude and that he was a touch/germ freak (he shook my hand no problem). I was standing outside and witnessed a moment where he blew somebody off but I can kind of understand it as you don't want to be swamped by people in an uncontrolled environment out on the street.

4 days is a long time. If they didn't have time to take on the commission then they should be aware of that. I would be extremely upset if I was you. It is common to have them mail you a commission from what I know though. If you don't mind me asking who is the artist? Most artists have a facebook page or deviant art page to help get in contact with them. I would also recommend contacting the people at Fan Expo Toronto and see if they have any information to help you get in contact with the artist. I had to contact the BostonCon people to get Mann's managers contact information.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By BR_Havoc

@irishx: Very sorry to hear that, I'm currently attempting to track down an email address or something to get in contact with the artist to see what is going on. The optimistic part of me wants to think that I will get it one day but his deadlines and stuff got in the way but the realist in me knows I was burned and will no longer be as courteous to them, in a situation like this.

So Mann did not ask you to leave an address or anything? That is pretty crappy of him, to burn a fan like that, I mean sketches and stuff are not cheap and you think an artist would want to go out of there way to appease there fans so they will come back for more.

As for Celebrity stories I have heard some horror stories about Stan Lee but I have met him twice and the first time he went out of his way to talk to me for a few minutes, and was very kind.

@voodoopenguin: Sure it was Ken Lashely, and truthfully I do not really want to support any of his work now which sucks because he is now the artist on Secret Six a book I have waited for.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@br_havoc: Well we both expected him to be there the next day. I'm still hopeful we can hook up. I feel bad for this one fella who sat at Clay's table through that whole final day that he never showed for. (I know cause I checked back a few times) He was only there for a short period the two previous days and the guy was like I am not missing him today.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers