Comic Continuity explanation

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm new at this stuff so bear with me. How does continuity work in comics? I don't understand. Does every book take place in the same universe at the same time? Like say in the JL book they fight brainiac but in Flash's comic he's doing something else. Does it take place at the same time and day? Also, what are events? How often do they happen? Someone help me out please, I want to get into the New52 but the whole thing just seems complicated.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

No. Every comic does not occur at the same time. For instance, Batman:Zero Year was set in the past, but all of Batman's other appearances in other comics during when that that storyline was being written were set in the present. Comic book titles usually chronicle the adventures of a certain hero at any given point in time that suits the story. Batman could be getting trapped by Scarecrow in Detective Comics, but up and around in another book.

For example, when Peter died in ASM #700, Avenging Spider-man still featured him for a shortime. This is because that story was set before Peter's death.

Beata

JonnytheWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JonnytheWolf

How does continuity work in comic books?

The answer to this would take probably weeks/months of your time....not touching this one.

Does every book take place in the same universe at the same time?

No. Most are probably in the same universe and generally the same contemporary time period but don't have to line up on exact days. They are stories not diaries.

Does it take place at the same time and day?

No. Not unless it specifically and explicitly says so in the comics themselves. Most of the time the answer is no.

What are events?

Depends on who you ask.

Could be big story arcs that span multiple issues and have multiple book crossovers. In that case we could see many exact timeline matchups and things happening at roughly the same time in multiple books. Usually they have long felt repercussions throughout whichever comic publisher's universe they took place in.

Could also be big cheesy cash grabs from the big two, Marvel and DC, a tactic used to get you to buy multiple books to get the whole story and maybe to spike sales.

How often do they happen?

To my knowledge there is no set pattern. Just depends on a lot of factors. But believe me....you'll know when they happen. Pretty much have huge banners with the event title on every book they coincide with.

....I also don't have all the answers. But that's the best I can do for now.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonnythewolf: okay thanks for the feedback. Your comment helps me understand it better. If I'm not mistaken, DC puts out 52 titles right? What about marvel?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@xxedward_kenwayxx: You figure it out as time goes on. Short answer is if it doesn't match up, chances are it's happening at a different time. At the end of the day my advice is enjoy the comic your reading, and worry later (or not at all).

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Easy, just keep track of the small things and it'll come into place.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxedward_kenwayxx: No prob, it's a great channel with tons of rally good advice, so enjoy :)

JonnytheWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1