Comic Budgeting, guys, i need some help.

RJDdelcastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RJDdelcastillo

LETS BE HONEST… None of us are billionaires. We all have encountered the problem of Comic Budgeting. You see my problem is that being a college student I cant keep buying comics off my moms money, the dilemma really is I don’t know which comics to get that really show each universe at its best (for the sake of being simple, lets just talk about the big two, its not that I don’t buy independent works, or image comics or dark horse, its just these two universes seem to release the most amount of comics). Of course I’ve checked the forums of CV looking for a similar topic and well I did, it was really helpful. I list down all of the comics that I call the essential follows, and the doing at the moments comics, and the comics that just have a cool main character (most’a those are marvel). But its come to the point that I just don’t think I can afford all these comics. If you can help me, I am trying to decide which of these comics to drop and maybe get a new one, or just drop it because its bad. Basically what im asking is, which of these comics are droppable and what I should be following. Thank you.

MARVEL

AVENGERS

SECRET AVENGERS

UNCANNY X-FORCE

WINTER SOLDIER

CAPTAIN AMERICA

AMAZING SPIDER MAN

DAREDEVIL

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN

THE MIGHTY THOR

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN

PUNISHER

DC COMICS

BATMAN

JUSTICE LEAGUE

BATMAN AND ROBIN

SUPERMAN

NIGHTWING

FLASH

RED HOOD

GREEN LANTERN

AQUAMAN

GREEN ARROW

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'll just leave the ones that I think are worth following.

AMAZING SPIDER MAN

BATMAN

JUSTICE LEAGUE

BATMAN AND ROBIN

NIGHTWING

GREEN LANTERN

AQUAMAN

I've heard great things about the likes of Daredevil, Cap and Winter Soldier, but i haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

These are the ones out of this that I'm reading.

Winter Soldier

WATXM

Batman

Nightwing

Red Hood

Aquaman

@k4tzm4n: If you're a Bucky fan, you're obligated to read Winter Soldier.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#4  Edited By cbishop

@RJDdelcastillo: You're asking a question that's way too subjective. Everyone is going to have a different opinion about the title choices. Take it from an older fan, and learn this lesson now: if you cannot afford the books, then drop the books. This is an awesome hobby, but it's just that - a hobby. Unless you are majoring in something that is going to put you directly into the field of comics, the comics you're buying are not essential to anything you are doing. I'm not saying this to be a d-bag, I'm just trying to state this practically - if money's tight, the non-essential is what goes.

The nice thing about comics - especially the modern comics - is that you will probably be able to find them later, when you have the money to catch up, if you still want to at that point. The great stories will be collected in TPB (graphic novel) form, and the rest will probably be available in back issue bins, and probably cheaper than cover price. There will be exceptions to that rule, but for most recent stuff, not if it's worth reading. You're not going to miss any issues that will reach the resell price of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 - those don't exist in modern comics.

I have not been buying comics since about the time Final Crisis started, and only recently found enough fun money to start buying a few titles again. I was able to keep up with the highlights by reading sites like Comicvine, until I was able to buy again. Not buying comics is not the end of the world. It sucks - especially when you want to check out the Night of the Owls storyline, or everyone is talking about how great Aquaman is now - but it's not the end of the world.

Do yourself a favor. You have plenty to stress about while you're in college - don't make your hobby one of your stressors. Drop the comics until you can pick them up again, and focus on the stuff that's important now.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Mercy_: I was, but then I took a Crossbones one-shot to my ego.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_

@k4tzm4n: Best use of that meme I've ever seen.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Mercy_:

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_

@k4tzm4n:

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By NewKid

i would say green arrow was a pretty easy drop, it's not bad, just... nothing special right now.

also, i'm not an x-men fan so any of those...

also... you should def get action comics instead of superman - much better.

prob the next easiest drop would be punisher... these are just my opinions though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

I can vouch for the fact that Amazing-Spider Man, Batman, Justice League and Green Lantern are worth keeping. If you want a Superman title in your line up get Action Comics, it's much better than Superman.

Personally I'd drop Green Arrow, Invincible Iron Man, Mighty Thor, Red Hood, Avengers and Wolverine and the X-Men. Not all of them are bad but not as good as the titles you already have.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By htb106

at my comic shop they have back issues boxes so that the old issues not many people have bought go in their for abou a tenth of their normal price, if they're in your shop I suggest that you keep buying the ones you really like and the others you look in the bargain boxes for them.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

I was, but then I took a Crossbones one-shot to my ego.

If it pisses Kat off, then its legit.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@RJDdelcastillo: Drop Avengers and Green Arrow.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp: You're such a troll.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_: Me and K4tz have a special relationship. But I digress, I am.

Its for all the Nightwing-stomp threads he made.