Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

A look at how comic books can be used as a tool to teach our kids

No Caption Provided
I recently stumbled upon an article in a Kentucky paper about a teacher who brought comic book characters to the classroom as a teaching tool. I know what many of you might think; the entire concept of superheroes is fictional. Therefore, being that there is no way that they can exist in reality, how can a teacher justify bringing them into a classroom to use as a tool to teach children? Mount Washington Middle School teacher Jeremy Belcher worked alongside his students using the concept of superheroes to help them learn in the classroom. His students created superheroes with special powers, and he used these characters to help the students improve their math, science and english skills. Belcher utilized these heroes to get his students to write stories about the characters. He used them in science to help his students understand how the characters' super powers functioned in the real world, and taught them how to make charts and graphs for their heroes, reinforcing their mathematics skills. Essentially, Belcher was using the concept of superheroes to reinforce the skills that his students learned in the classroom. By using these fictional characters as a tool, not only is it more likely to retain his students' interest in the subjects they are learning, but it also pushes them to use their imagination and creativity, which in itself is something we should always try to cultivate in our children.

No Caption Provided
The idea of bringing superheroes to the classroom to use as a teaching tool is not exactly something innovative. In fact, the British Council has in the past pushed teachers to use superheroes to teach kids English. In fact, the BBC went so far as to create a teaching outline on their site with basic step-by-step instructions that teachers can follow. The site gives teachers ideas that would allow them to use superheroes to teach kids everything from basic rules about crossing the street to matching games that reinforce childrens' reading and critical thinking skills.

There is a lot that we can teach our kids that goes beyond the basic skills that Belcher and the BBC have demonstrated. The fact of the matter is, a lot of people who may not read comics do not realize that very often the characters we read about in comic books are not two-dimensional characters. Take for example the ' X-Men.' Here is a team of three-dimensional characters that have struggled to deal with prejudices, have flaws, and have striven to relate on a human level to other characters and people. In fact, these characters are a good example of the struggle of an individual dealing with discrimination, making them easier for readers to identify with. Another example is Batman. While Batman is a billionaire who can afford to be a superhero with technologically advanced gear, his character still
Astonishing X-Men #1
Astonishing X-Men #1
struggles with the inner turmoil and despair; a result of his never having been able to cope with the loss of his parents. These characters, while they are fictional, can teach us a lot about ourselves.

"Hence poetry is something more philosophic and of graver import than history, since its statements are rather of the nature of universals, whereas those of history are singulars."- Aristotle

More people could learn from Belcher's teaching style by reinforcing the creativity in our children and by using fiction as a tool for learning. As Aristotle acknowledged, facts are important, but equally important is the philosophy in fiction. Yes, comic book characters have often been thought of as just for kids, yet that ideology is not necessarily accurate. Comic books and superheroes are the result of the imagination and creativity of really incredibly talented individuals, and the concepts found in comic books can be used as tools to teach everyone-not just kids. Concepts found therein can be used to teach children in our schools, and used to teach us more about ourselves. What do you think?

DIGG
timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By timrothsays

heh, i like your education system

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

good to see things have changed. we couldnt have comics on school property
regardless of reason when i was a wee-man.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BKole

This has already been done quite a lot in my area. I am all for it, anything to help kids learn. Learning is great. In fact, my friends Mother works for a local school library. She actually commissioned me to write and draw a short comic to get kids involved in reading for the school. 

Apparently it went down quite well with the kids.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i Say YESSS... and i wish they thought of this when i was in school... then maybe i wouldnt be such a DooDOO

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moomin123

Using comic book characters to teach children how to do stuff...awesome. 

Okay class, Deadpool and Punisher here are going to teach you guys how to use a gun! 

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Namor1987

I couldve used that during college or maybe I wouldnt be suspended lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

i learned to read from incredible hulk

Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rabbit Tots
@Moomin123 said:
"
Using comic book characters to teach children how to do stuff...awesome. 

Okay class, Deadpool and Punisher here are going to teach you guys how to use a gun! 

"

I was afraid something like this would be brought up, haha! I support comics education but only to a certain degree... But aww, that made me all fuzzy inside.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty

I once gave big heavy bags full of old comics to a lady I knew who was a class room assistant.  She wanted old comics to help teach kids to read.  At the time I didn't think I'd want to read 'em again... anyone any idea how much the original Alpha Flight run costs these days?  Anyway, it's surprising that no-one has used comics before to help teach kids about community, prejudices, grief, etc.  It seems so natural.  I think it's great that it'll teach kids and get them into comics.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I learned to read from X-Man/Chris Claremont  and Alpha Flight/John Byrne

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By greenenvy

I am so happy about this but I wish this new system took place when I was in school. I am doing college right now but not sure if that system is going to drift there haha.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

Another great wawy to teach children and internet them!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14  Edited By sora_thekey

I read somewhere that a teacher thought his class spanish with the Ultimate Spider-Man Spanish HC...
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I heard of an English teacher (or maybe specifically writing. I don't remember which) giving Watchmen to their students.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By geraldthesloth

My 11th grade English teacher is a huge Wonder Woman and  Green Arrow fan..she used to bring in comics for us to look at all the time..than again that was my favorite teacher I've ever had.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrinceIMC

I love this. If I were a teacher I'd try to do the same thing. It was my oldest brother's Archie comics that got me to start enjoying reading. Meanwhile I was always ahead of my other brother in reading even though he was 3 years older than me and I loved reading. Archie led to Spider-Man and X-Men and then to books and such.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Jotham

Hmm, interesting. Although I imagine most of the science lessons go: "This isn't actually possible, but if it were..."

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

Awesome!

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By crazed_h3ro

My Teacher does the same thing.I learned about the pitt from him.And learned that the creature of the Pitt worked on Hulk comic before he left and created the Pitt. Awesome right,My Teacher also knows about Spawn when it first came out,and still call Overtkill ,OverKill, cool yet again. And look at me I'm well Educated."Did you know that when you become angry,unnesasery Enzymes are created and blocks some of your Brain waves, and leads you to not Think Thoroughly,and wisely",thats why when people Become angry they spazz out LOL  XD.And thats one of many things he told me.

SuperGamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By SuperGamera
@JediXMan said:
"I heard of an English teacher (or maybe specifically writing. I don't remember which) giving Watchmen to their students. "

I would love that. Watchmen is the greatest comic ever
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

If I could have read comics in Highschool I would not have cut so many classes

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King Quisling

I used to get in trouble for reading comics in class. >.< 

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blackestnight1

I did this. I used super heroes in the class room to help teach English in Japan. 

I printed pictures of heroes doing different things in different places. On each laminated print was a sentence in English. The basic format was "Name was ____ing preposition __place".  Such as Spiderman was climbing in New York.    The students had a riddle in English. All the cards were easily hidden around the room.  The students each had teams of four. One kid wrote and the other 3 ran around the room looking at clues, reading them and then running back to their desk and saying them and sometimes spelling them. Then the last student wrote it down. The goal was to get 4 copies of all the sentences (there were 15) and once they had all the sentences they could deduce by either alibis or location who stole Superman's cookies. The team that got it the fastest was ranked Batman as to detective. And they got to keep a print out drawing of Batman that I did.  

It worked very well. They got to get our of their chairs and move all over the room and they were reading, memorizing, speaking, spelling, and writing English. And most of all they had to understand it and think, in order to figure out who could not have taken the cookies and by the process of elimination figure out who did it.  I used both American and Japanese comic book characters.  

If you want the riddles I used and the pictures I still have them.  It was always so and so stole the cookies with the Riddler.  The ages were 12-15 and the riddles were easier depending on the grade. For 12 year olds it was just so and so was ___ing. and the place was in Japanese.  For the 13-14 it was only 10 clues and for the 14-15 it was 15 full ones. 

Also in the beginning of class I told a short story in Mixed English and Japanese about where the cookies were and that they were taken and how Superman came to Batman to figure out who did it. Sometimes it was Goku's cookies that were taken and he wen to Conan (not the barbarian) to figure it out.  So the class had to raise their hand and figure out the story and re tell it all in Japanese. Then I did the instructions in Japanese for the game and let them lose. I also made a CD with all super hero songs on it to play softly as everyone was running around. Also girl vs boy teams worked well too.  Oh and Each clue was covered by white paper so that you had to run up and lift the paper every time to read it and you could not read it form your desk.   I put Spiderman on the back side of my desk upside down which was hard to find and they had to get down and read it with their head hanging in a touch your toes position to read it. And they laughed.

couzinit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By couzinit99

i was reading an issue of Teen Titans my sophmore year (1 year ago) during sestained silent reading, and got threatened a detention if i brought one again because apparently "its not considered a book" it really really angered me and i wish i couldve done something about it. stupid Coach teach :(

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I would clove to read comic books for learning.
Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AW MAN! 
How come i couldnt learn with comics in the classroom!?

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By zombietag
@The Crimson Nutcase: FOR REAL! id take this over counting apples for math any day
Thor'sHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thor'sHammer

As someone who learned to read from comics, and is also a classroom teacher, I have some insight into this.  
1) One teaching philosophy says that literacy is built on visual association.  Young children are encouraged to use the images in their picture books to help them figure out the words on the page and the general story.  

2) There is an amazing program developed through Columbia University's Teacher's College called, The Comic Book Project.

Check it out here: 

www.comicbookproject.org

I can say from experience that this has worked with boys and girls as young as 6 yrs old.  They all instantly know what comics are and have loads of character ideas, even if some are cheap knock-offs -come on they are little kids!

Finally, just look at what Scholastic has been publishing and you will see how the market is demanding graphic novels of high quality for children.  They have been publishing Bone in color and i have seen many students cherish it.

Even in college English classes I have seen these GN's on the syllabus, Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Neil Gaiman 's Sandman, Maus.

My point is that as comics gain artistic merit in the mainstream, they will be in the classroom more and more.
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By FoxxFireArt

It's so nice to see an article online about my home state that it positive. X-Men comics have always been a good example of witnessing people dealing with discrimination.

I think more what young readers get from Batman isn't so much as copping with trauma. It shows selflessness and that things are possible without super powers. Bruce trained himself to be the best at what he does. He didn't have the advantage of being power with a power or one thrust upon him in some accident. He choose to do this for his own reason and gets very little out of it.

I'm not so sure that means every parent should start taking all the Batman books and give them to their eight year old. The topics can become rather mature now. Which pretty much reflects a mature reader base.

In the past these characters were pretty 'perfect'.  Superman, Batman. Both lived pretty ideal lives with a few rough patches here and there. Very much sitcom lives. Though a few decades back they started to make the characters more real and identifiable. Batman became much more brooding and dark. Superman, well, died.

It's when it comes to girls that I think they suffer a little bit in the area of positive role models. Not that there aren't any. It's just that writers tend to use women as foils to a male hero rather then the lead of a story, the damsel in distress as one example.

Wonder Woman #42
Wonder Woman #42
This is something that I think DC has been doing for a lot longer then Marvel. Look at Wonder Woman as one example. She is quite easily one of the most iconic women in comics. If you were to go on the street and ask your average person to name a powerful comic book woman. You will more then likely hear two names over pretty much anyone else. Wonder Woman and Catwoman. Though oddly enough, look at their comics. They are often in a constant state of being canceled and revived. The topic was broached back in December about Wonder Woman comics getting that 600 issue.

What is it about these women in comics that seems to turn off male readers? Is it they are intimidated by strong women characters? That seems hard to believe when you consider the success of the Xena: Warrior Princess series. That did extremely well for a spin off of the Hercules series. How is it they can watch a show about a strong woman, but not be into the same theme when it comes to reading? It's a conundrum.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aronmorales

Jeremy Belcher, I support your teaching methods!

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iLLituracy

In all seriousness, I didn't really know how to write while I was in school. I literally used to squeeze by in English with some creative writing assignment. It wasn't until later in life when I picked up comic books when I learned how to punctuate and spell certain words correctly.

I teach my nieces how to read and write through comic books, as well. I've also come to find out that the school my nieces attend carry issues of Marvel Age. Which is weird, because they're hardback--but singular issues.

Anyway, yeah, comic books in the classroom is nothing but good. :]

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aronmorales

I credit some of my education to Calvin and Hobbes,a long with some of my Dad's older graphic novels.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By ragdollpurps

i think this is a great idea. especially for kids who aren't really into reading and may be more visual learners. comics could get them into reading more due to that fact there isn't as much context as there is in a book and the images would keep their attention.
Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I wish Mr. Belcher had been one of my teachers.
drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By drawme

Great idea.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Agent Buttons
wow....
Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I teach Special Education to High School freshman and I use Superheros  and comic books as a positive reinforcement for good behavior and a reward for reading in class. 

love this idea.
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

lucky lil scamps
Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

Thats nice I wish U.A.E did something like this  

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By dr.x

My friends I can't tell how it warm heart to see kids reading comics  in school  ,and it not being looked down  upon  as trashy and low brow , also I think  this give  kid  two things something to read  beside  Moby Dick  (FYI I know there is a Moby Dick  Comic Book out there ) or Pilgrims Progress Ect , and  it let's  brings in the next generations  of  book fan  weather they  like myself  DC Comic Fan Boy  or  Marvel Kid . So Comics in the class room I can sum it up one word Excelsior! 

DR . X
DR . X

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish i could learn things like that. The best i got when i was small was having the same old algebra crap spewed at me everyday. No wonder i suck at maths because my brain was fried by the sheer boredom of it all.  It was mentioned that superheroes can deliver positive messages such as childrens road safety and anti discrimination, And every kid needs a strong role model, fictional or otherwise.  personnaly i think it would make kids actually want to go to school.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9bb5509ec3c
deactivated-5c9bb5509ec3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my Psychology teacher (he's also a Social Studies teacher) from last year was going to do something like this with his U.S. History class. When he would start teaching the Civil War in class - he was planning on using examples from the Civil War that happened within the whole Marvel world. I think it's really creative, and fun :D

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By blade hunter

comic's helped me learn to read [and want to] but where im from you would get you're head kicked in if you said anything about them.

Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Argentino_18

I learned more english from comic books than from class..