#1 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi everyone.

I just found out that Justice League Dark #16, which comes out on Wednesday, features a character that was created by someone from a comic based reality T.V. competition called Face Off. Excuse my lack of knowledge of the show, I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if they even show it in the U.K.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Face-Off-Winner-1059947.aspx?rss=breakingnews

I was just wondering what people think of the idea of people getting their ideas into comics through T.V. competitions like this. I don't know what to make of it. It reminds me of shows like The X-Factor where people suddenly get famous overnight and disappear almost as quickly. Is this a good idea for comic book creators? It seems kinda weird to me.

Scarlotte.

#2 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a very dumb idea; however, I do enjoy the show Face Off.

I feel like Marvel did something like this (no, not Combo Man) during the 90s as well.

That being said, JLD is awesome.

Staff
#3 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose a good idea is good no matter where it comes from. Something feels a little slimy about it though. I would say that about anything that comes from a t.v. competition however so maybe it isn't. Sometimes I feel like a majority of good ideas are being overlooked in favor of a select few ideas coming from people who will look good on the show. That doesn't feel right, if it's the case that is. Oh and I'm from the U.S. and I've never even heard of the show.

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

I think this is a very dumb idea; however, I do enjoy the show Face Off.

I feel like Marvel did something like this (no, not Combo Man) during the 90s as well.

That being said, JLD is awesome.

How does the show work? From the information I can find it seems to be a prosthetic make up show. If I'm reading about the right show that is.

Hmm. I'll look into that and see how it went.

JLD is awesome, so I hope the inclusion of this character doesn't mess up the story in some way.

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake:I agree, if, as you say, that is the case.

#6 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

JLD is awesome, so I hope the inclusion of this character doesn't mess up the story in some way.

I hope it's a throwaway character that gets beheaded by Frankenstein or sucked into another tiny cage by Constantine.

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake:Fine by me. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. :)

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

So the character was on four pages, on a planet that maybe won't be featured again after this arc, and was instantly killed off. It seems possible that the scene would have happened anyway but with a different looking character.

Could have been worse.

#9 Edited by SC (12964 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh Marvel tried something similar to this and it caused nothing but headache. Was a Wizard thing I'll assume you want details and go looking for a link. Character was named Charcoal and appeared in Thunderbolts.

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC:I'll have a look. :)

#11 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@SC:I'll have a look. :)

I've had a look. Seems like an awkward situation. Hopefully it won't be similar this time.

#12 Posted by SC (12964 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Oh yeah exactly - I went looking for a link on it and ended up on Youtube somehow - **red** stupid internet. Was pretty interesting reading about what happened in that Thunderbolts situation. I can't wait for the Justice League Dark issue now though too, cheers for heads up!

#13 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC:Interesting to see how it can go wrong, however, when looking up stuff about it, I found out that Mark Bagley got his first comic work through a competition too, and seems to have been working for the last thirty years, so competitions must work sometimes.

No problem, it's a pretty good issue. :)