Comic Book Reviews For The Week of 4/20/11

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Can you smell that? It's new comics day. That means lots of comics to read. Feels like some books are coming out more frequently than others lately. Are certain titles now coming out weekly? I'm not really complaining...except when I look at my receipt from the comic store. 
There are some big titles this week. Plenty of crossovers from Fear Itself and War of the Green Lanterns. Below you'll find the comics that we, the Comic Vine staff, have managed to review today. Let us know what you thought of these issues. If we didn't review that really awesome issue that you read today, let us know what else you dug this week.

No Caption Provided
== TEASER ==

No Caption Provided

Green Lantern #65

I shouldn't have to tell you to read this book. It should be obvious. While the twist at the ending may come off a tad lame at first, that's the point. It's a fly-by-night decision. War of the Green Lanterns isn't a gimmick and it isn't a novelty story line. It's just a damn good arc thus far. Keep in mind this is a pretty big set-up issue, but don't let that get you down. The next part of the story line came out this week in Green Lantern Corps, so you don't have to wait to see where it goes. Flat-out, if you're not reading Green Lantern, then you put cracks in my heart, since this is one fun book.

To read Mat's full review, click here.

No Caption Provided

Fear Itself: Sin's Past

This is a great issue for those looking for more context to Fear Itself, but it's really unnecessary to the understanding of the rest of the event. It's a 5 minute look into the pysche of Steve Rogers and how he's dealt with this kind of thing before, and that's something we don't get nearly enough of. Pick it up if you have the cash.

To read Matty D's full review, click here.          
No Caption Provided

Green Hornet #15

This issue serves as a good jumping on point. There is mention of the last arc and the casualty that occurred but it's still easy to figure out what is going on, even if you're unfamiliar with the newer characters in the Green Hornet comics now. Phil Hester has had the chance to cultivate these new characters into a new version of idea of Green Hornet that most readers are probably familiar with. There is a modern feel and the little updates make it feel like it's a completely new idea. We often see issues where the hero questions their ability or right to serve as a hero and we see some of that here. Without being a retelling of the struggling hero, the twist we see here does give a new take on the concept. There's also more than just one twist in this issue so you'll want to be on your toes as you read. It's great to have consistency with the art and coloring since the first issue but there are times when the backgrounds feel a little sparse. There's also a new villain introduced that adds to making life tough for the Hornet.   

To read Tony's full review, click here.   

No Caption Provided

Wolverine #8

The story is great, the writing is amazing, and the art is something new that you may come to love, what more could you ask for? While this book takes a bit of a humorous look into Wolverine's psyche, it still fits the tone of the book, and frankly, it kicks major butt. Even if you're not into Wolverine, you get a couple of cameos from dead characters you miss, and it's a fun read from start to finish.

To read Mat's full review, click here

Green Lantern Corps #59

No Caption Provided

War of the Green Lanterns is crazy. This issue picks up immediately after the ring swap in Green Lantern #65. Hal, Kyle, Guy and John are now forced to wear the rings of the other Lanterns. That means things will get even crazier. The great thing about having a story arc cross over into the other related titles is we get each chapter in a faster manner. The (obvious) downside is you have to commit to buying all the different titles if you're not already reading them. Also when the entire story is collected, the change in art could be a slight distraction. Now that we're half way through, things are looking bad for the heroes. They have five more issues to straighten everything up and save the day (and universe).

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 2.0 #4 

Ouch. Not a good issue. It’s two creators I really like, but together, this issue is a dull, lifeless story that really bums me out. It’s not interesting, and it’s not worth your time. The writing is dull, and the art work is distracting because of its incorporation of photography into the pages. I’m sad to say, don’t pick this one up.

To read Mat's full review, click here.

No Caption Provided

Super Dinosaur #1

Robert Kirkman proves that he is more than capable of writing in all genres. Not only can he write suspenseful horror and true superhero stories, now he's setting out to conquer the all age genre. The first issue of Super Dinosaur sets the stage and introduces all the major players in a new comic world created by Kirkman and Jason Howard. The concept of a super dinosaur that has guns and rockets and can kick major butt, teaming with a young and intelligent kid has win written all over it. I can't see kids not liking this. This is easily something I could see being adapted as a show on Cartoon Network along with Generator Rex and Ben-10. Being an all age book doesn't mean those that are not kids won't be able to appreciate it. There is a great sense of fun and adventure along with looming plot twists that will hook you in from the beginning. The only downside was the kid was a little annoying in the beginning but you get a sense that may be changing. Also the issue has to spend more time establishing the world and characters at the cost of being able to fully dive into all the excitement. The book might not be aimed at me in particular but that won't stop me from reading it every month. Add another notch on Kirkman's belt as he has another success to add to the list.

No Caption Provided

Teen Titans #94

This issue of Teen Titans gives you exactly what you would expect from the comic if you’ve been reading it to this point or even if you’re just roughly familiar with the series because it’s the same almost all the time. A good balance of character and plot development tempered with some action due to an unknown demonic force rearing its head and requiring the strength of everyone involved to overcome. Therefore, they must put aside the hints of internal team strife that are constantly simmering just below the surface due to a bevy of conflicting personalities. Everyone comes together in the end to save the day. Mix well with new characters occasionally and serve for $2.99. 

To read Ray's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Silver Surfer #3

I'm really disappointed by this issue; Pak seems to have a lot on his plate lately, and sadly one of my favourite characters seems to be a victim of that. I have faith in him to turn it around in another two issues, but for a series that started off with a lot of promise, this issue made me cringe more than once.

No Caption Provided

DMZ #64 

Hoo boy, I cannot wait for the end of this series; not because I don't like it, but because there's so much I want answered. I've been along for almost the entire ride, so having the plot wind down and each character "get theirs" is very bittersweet: I'm happy that Brian Wood has etched out such a great narrative and has consistently done so for 60+ issues.

That consistency earns my recommendation. As it should from all of us.

No Caption Provided

Justice League of America #56

Things are looking pretty dark for the Justice League. After having the story interrupted so Doomsday's story could be told, we're back into the Eclipso story that began right before that. James Robinson and Brett Booth have a great work synergy going on and it feels like they've collaborating for months now. I've been enjoying the fact that we don't have the same old typical roster for the team and we get to see several past members answer the call for help while others are mentioned to handle things back home. I can't say that I know where or how this story will end but that's what makes it enjoyable. Typically we know the good guys will win in the end but it's looking a little bleak for our heroes. 

No Caption Provided

Red Sonja: Break the Skin

What would you expect from a Red Sonja comic? There is fighting and violence here. But that's not all you get. Red Sonja takes what seems like a typical job but complications arise and she has to stay on her toes. There's nothing better than being surprised when you think you know how the whole story will turn out. Jen Van Meter does a great job in showing us how fierce Red Sonja can be and why her men would have so much respect for her. We also see that she's is not completely untouchable and that is possible for her to get hurt if she didn't possess such great skills. The art and colors look really nice but almost makes Sonja appear too dainty. The classic reprint from 1979 shows that she can be drawn with a little more body fat and still remain true to what the character is about. The story has a nice twist but because I'm not the world's biggest Red Sonja fan, it may not be a completely memorable story. It's a great place for readers to just jump in and get a complete story but you get a sense that the end results won't have any lasting repercussions.  

Thunderbolts #156

No Caption Provided

I loved seeing some of the villains that took part in the screening process for the B-Team of Thunderbolts. Even if they don’t make it on to the team, it was great to see Shocker, Mr. Hyde, Super-Skrull, and many others even if Marvel will throw them back into a cage again after this issue. This light-hearted cameo-fest was poorly balanced though by the A-team of Bolts being thrown back into a new, occult themed mission that seemed like an excuse just to see what Satana could do. I would have preferred a slower introduction of her character to the team and having these two stories going on at the same time made it harder to follow this cavalcade of stars we were seeing in these 20 pages.

To read Ray's full review, click here.   

Generation Hope #6

No Caption Provided

Although a weird situation, it is just weird enough to have piqued my curiosity and not turned me off. An unborn psychic mutant is definitely the off the wall kind of adventure we should probably get used to with Generation Hope. This is another well-written comic by Kieron Gillen as you clearly see the dynamic personalities of all the individual members of the team whenever they speak, and it has now been mixed up even more with the straight-laced Kitty Pryde as liaison. This is a comic I look forward to every month and can’t wait for the next issue just to see how Hope will work her way out of every crazy situation thrown into the path of her and her lights.

To read Ray's full review, click here.   
Avatar image for omertalvendetta
Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Omertalvendetta

I think it would be super sweet if there was a way to integrate the rating you guys gave it so that at a quick glance we could see which review to jump to based on you guys' personal rating...??  Maybe to the side or something, idk?

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By craigbo180

Super dinosaur sounds amazing! I really want to read it, kid protagonists are usually never good though.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

great reviews. I can't wait to get some of these comics tomorrow

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

So wanna get into War of the Green Lanterns....oh well I'll wait for a TP I guess.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Im reading my friends issues, and getting it in trade later on. couldnt afford 3 more books. Will there be and X-force, T-bolts, and Iron man review?

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By StarKiller809

I love readin the review so I can know what to expect from a comic. Although, bad reviews... make me a little nervouse.
Sentinel of Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sentinel of Magic

My favorite thing about JLA 56 was the fact that James Robinson remembers who Manitou Dawn is.

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By dewboy01

G've me all them comics!
Ash The Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ash The Flash
@craigbo180: I love all things Kirkman!
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By longbowhunter

Invincible Iron Man and Uncanny X-Force were killer!
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck
@CombatSpoon86: T-Bolts made it. Perhaps X-Force will come as well.

@StarKiller809: The thing to remember with bad (and good) reviews is it's basically just the opinion of the reviewer. Once you're familiar with what each of us likes and doesn't like, you can relate our reviews to your personal preferences. That's the great thing about having several staff members review comics as well as all of you guys. You just take them all in and make your own judgement.

@Sentinel of Magic: Dude, James Robinson has a knack for remembering everything. This is what I love about the current JLA. I've read so many JLA stories with Batman (Bruce), Superman and the rest. I love that this is other characters and that we're seeing characters like Zauriel and others like Manitou Dawn mentioned. That's what the JLA should be about. You have some crazy stuff going down, you call in every back-up and former member to do whatever they can wherever they are.
Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Joe Venom

Loves Karen's new look

limbani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By limbani

why isn't their a review of the new batman?

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

When did Super Skrull even get imprisoned on Earth? And is he even a "Raft Level" prisoner? Wouldn't it be like putting Dr. Doom in a regular human prison?

besighyawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By besighyawn

yay more green lantern fun

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By CATPANEXE

agree on most, except Sin's Past. i thought it was essential to establishing Sin's character, something that needs to be touched on before kicking her off as the big villain in Fear,and a must read,
and don't think it was geared towards defining Steve's character, rather using him as a viewpoint. i believe the reason its very needed is for a story to have proper structure, the main antagonist needs their motive explained. while i like Sin, she has been, even in recent times a very 1-dimensional character, and that doesn't work considering the scope of Fear Itself, and especially new readers who have no clue who she is. i believe the Steve connection needed to made as well as Sin is now Red Skull, and there really wasn't a stable background between these two where Sin would have a logical reason to have a vendetta against him personally, but more so against Sharon Carter.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By blackkitty

I liked Sin before they felt the need to give her a red skull head. Now, not so much. The crazed teenage psychopath I thought was a great niche for her.