Comic Book Reviews For The Week of 4/06/11

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Lots of comics this week. Actually not quite as many as last week. That was a crazy week. But we do have some really good books. There were some crazy things that happened in the pages of today's comics. We had the return of some characters. Characters making startling announcements. Crazy humorous stories. The beginning of Marvel's next big event. Did we have any deaths? As soon as I'm done here, I have to read the rest to see.

Let us know what you thought about these issues as well as any awesome (and not so awesome) books you read that weren't mentioned here.

No Caption Provided
 == TEASER ==
No Caption Provided

Brightest Day #23

Comic book events usually promise that things will change and they clearly are going to by the time Brightest Day ends. It's hard to believe the end is almost upon us. The momentum builds up here and doesn't let up. If you've been waiting for answers from the last few issues, you will get them here and more. This issue begins to reveal what the big picture is. Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi have managed to seamlessly bring the return of a fan-favorite character in a way that makes sense and brings excitement to the reader. Reading this issue will make you want to see what happens next. Brightest Day might be almost over but now we know it's going to go out with a bang. 

To read Tony's full review, click here.   

No Caption Provided

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #38

I usually hate... HATE... annual issues because they're one shot stories which very rarely change anything in the character or book's continuity. They're usually throw away issues from creative teams that are so-so at best. That being said, Amazing Spider-Man Annual 38 isn't your typical annual book, and while the events of this book may not change the landscape of Spidey's 616 universe, overall, the book is certainly worth your time. It's even worth more of your time if you don't mind picking up Hulk and Deadpool's annuals. I recommend the issue and the story, especially if the other two issues are written by Layman.

To read Mat's full review, click here.   

No Caption Provided

Superman/Batman Annual #5

If you have been reading Reign of Doomsday, then this chapter is another stellar addition to the story arc and you will absolutely love how far Doomsday and Cyborg Superman go to try to stop one another and pummel each other into submission. Even though it has some pacing problems, the only way I say you don’t pick this up is if you haven’t read the previous chapters and to that I tell you to go catch up as soon as you can so you can read this comic. 

To read Ray's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #5  

This comic makes me happy. Normally when release schedules are a little wacky, the interruption in the flow hampers my enjoyment of the series. With Children's Crusade, that can be overlooked simply by the compelling story with crazy action by Allan Heinberg along with the gorgeous artwork by Jim Cheung. There are some big twists and turns here along with a couple shocking moments. The story has such a grand scale feel to it that it almost takes you away from everything, including other comics set in the Marvel Universe. The story is one that will be great collected and read over and over. I can't wait for the next issue to see what crazy shenanigans we'll have.

To read Tony's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Sweet Tooth #20

Obviously, since it's a new story arc that's fairly far in the story's history (20 issues can be a long time), pick up Sweet Tooth's previous issues if the prior references are giving you a headache. I'm looking forward to this with great promise, but it's still setting the arc up: expect some twists, and for some of those horrible feelings in your gut to be right.

To read Matt's full review, click here.   

No Caption Provided

Annihilators #2

We have a great back-up story, and a main story that left me in the dark that I don't have anything really great to say about. Even though I know little to nothing about these characters, I'd still read a Rocket Raccoon/Groot series because it is written so reader friendly. Annihilators, on the other hand, makes you feel bad as you flip through it because you're not part of group of people who understand these characters. I do not recommend this book for new readers; however, I'm sure fans of the cosmic world of Marvel will enjoy this book because it is well-written. For the rest of us, it's a borrow just for the back-up story.

No Caption Provided

Jonah Hex #66

Fantastic writing. Once again the characterization of Jonah Hex by Gray and Palmiotti was absolutely brilliant, even if the art lacked detail. Still, another solid issue. 

To read Sara's full review, click here.

No Caption Provided

Madman All-New Giant-Size Super Ginchy Special!

It's the return of Mike Allred and Madman. This is clearly a book for Madman fans as we get to see several familiar characters appearing briefly during the main story. It's a trippy story that isn't a surprise coming from the mind of Allred. The other stories give us interesting interpretations on the characters but honestly, not what I'm looking for in a Madman comic. As part of a special, I can accept it. Also, the pin-ups by so many different artist was a blast to see. Let's hope this is the beginning of more Madman comics!   

No Caption Provided

Secret Six #32

For the middle part of a three-part arc, I was expecting a bit more action, but the plot was forwarded considerably so hopefully the time for talking is done come part three. I also hope this leads to some issues with Bane down the road and explores his difficulty in accepting his fate. If you’ve been reading the Secret Six, this is no time to stop now as I’m sure this arc will end explosively next issue and still maintain that spark of humor even in hell, but this is also definitely not the time to be jumping into this comic if you’re looking to add something to your weekly pull list. 

To read Ray's full review, click here.

No Caption Provided

Fear Itself #1

Fear Itself 1 is hard to grade, as it's the first issue of a crossover. It's setting up a lot of things that may be boring, but they're important  to the successful implementation of a complicated story arc.  The villains are threatening, the heroes know something evil's on the horizon, and we're just going to have to wait until issue two to see where it all leads.

To read Matt's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Batman Beyond #4

This is what I want in a Batman Beyond comic. As much as I loved the show, I could never get into the 1999 series. It felt watered down as if it was meant for kids. With Adam Beechen's series, we get a darker take on the concept and are seeing some more connections to the current Batman continuity, something I've been wanting to see more of. Beechen is adding depth to the characters and we're seeing the beginning of an evolution for a couple of them. Eduardo Pansica's art brings a new feel to characters. It was a little weird to see after all the Ryan Benjamin issues but it's a nice evolution. Be prepared to be caught off guard by what happens here.   

No Caption Provided

Skaar: King of the Savage Land #1

Although it was weird bouncing back and forth between the great action with Skaar and the political agendas being dealt with by Ka-zar, you could clearly see the direction this limited series is trying to weave for itself. I would have much preferred Ka-zar and Skaar to be working together though, like some epic team-up, instead of dealing with clearly different and separate threats and hope that they come together much sooner in the future issues rather than later.    

No Caption Provided

Blue Estate #1

Blue Estate contains everything you could want in an exciting story. The first issue is definitely interesting, captivating and will be sure to knock your socks off. However, I would not recommend this series to anyone under 16 as it deals with mature concepts and is not a book you want your mother to catch you reading. 

To read Sara's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Herc #1

If you have been following Herc up to this point and enjoying it then you are going to love what happens to him in this first issue of his own monthly. Full of lots of action that already paints a vivid picture of how Herc will find himself caught in the middle of a struggle between man and god, Herc #1 is one of the most fun and entertaining first issues for a comic I’ve read in a while. If issue two is as good as this first one, I’m definitely putting this in the pull box.   

No Caption Provided

Ultimate Captain America #4

While, overall, I really enjoyed this issue, the overall series was just ok. If you just want to see Captain America beat the snot out of the bad guy, however, then pick this issue up because that's exactly what you're going to get. The artwork and writing are great, but just keep in mind that there's a lot of macho man madness happening in this book. Can you dig it? Oh yeah! This one is a borrow. 

No Caption Provided

Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #2

Is it a comic of pure literary substance? No, but that's not what people are looking for in comic books. As with the first issue, the story here is completely over the top. There's no telling what where it's going to go. These days, you can almost predict what will happen in most books. That is not the case with Axe Cop. You get an edge-of-your-seat ride of insane and humorous action. At times it feels as if different ideas are simply thrown into a blender and mixed to create the scenes. If that's the case, I say get more blenders. The pure kookiness of the book is what I look forward to. It's a silly but fun and entertaining book that will deliver what it sets out to do. This kind of comic doesn't come along too often.

To read Tony's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Heroes for Hire #5

Although a rather boring issue, it ties up all the loose ends of what was a great opening story arc up to this point. With Misty still feeling the effects of the drugs from Puppet Master and Paladin and Iron Fist barking at each other more than anything, there was just a lot of dialogue with very little actually going on. If you’ve picked up the first four issues, then pick this up to find out how things finally end up shaking out and then look forward to issue six when things will hopefully start to ramp up again after the action for this arc simply jumped off a cliff in this issue. 

To read Ray's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Uncanny X-Men # 534.1

Can the public accept Magneto as an X-Men? If the team is looking to gain the public's trust, this is a major issue they need to address. With this Point One story, it is a self-contained story and gives some background on what's going on. It isn't completely new reader friendly though. Magneto is and should be a complex character and Kieron Gillen does a great job in showing his thoughts on the P.R. game. The villains in this issue aren't necessarily memorable but serves to move the story along. Carlos Pacheco's art makes this feel like an actual comic book instead of a bunch of pin-ups with some word balloons. 

tbpinkfloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tbpinkfloyd

No Nonplayer #1?

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

annihilators is posted twice!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

Good Week!

Avatar image for omertalvendetta
Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Omertalvendetta
@mikeclark1982: They really want us to read Annihilators #2
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Sweet!

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By zombietag
@tbpinkfloyd said:
" No Nonplayer #1? "
that book was sweet. the storys kinda weird but the art makes me drooool haha
i was wondering the same, why its not on here...
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
@mikeclark1982: fixed. thanks. I started this at the office and finished at home. Lost track.
SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SevanGrim

Brightest Day's ending had me laughing, and i dont seem to be the only one. Maybe allot of us dont know the comics version of that character, but what i did know about the various versions made me feel like that was COMPLETELY out of left field.

Avatar image for StrongProtector
StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By StrongProtector
@Grim: Even as someone who is more familiar with the character, it still came out of left field. I recognized him immediately as a black lantern version and was like "No. You've got to be kidding me. No way are they doing this." I admit though, I can't wait to see what happens now. Mostly because it's either going to be awesome or a glorious train wreck.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

Sweet!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By longbowhunter

Really liked Herc #1.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@omertalvendetta said:
" @mikeclark1982: They really want us to read Annihilators #2 "
I was hoping my poor review of the book would have you thinking otherwise...
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Can we get more non-Marvel and DC reviews?

drummerboydomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By drummerboydomo

No Deadpool Family?

MisterDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MisterDK

Anyone read "I, Zombie #12"?

Sorry, I meant, TRIED to read. It's been a book I have quite enjoy so far but when I picked it up this week I had to put it straight down again because of the artwork! I am really glad that Hernandez is only a guest artist for this month!

I will just have to get the story from the catch up next month!

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16  Edited By CrimsonTempest

No Fear Itself? O_o

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By jakob187

Brightest Day #23 single-handedly made me schoolchild-giddy and pissed as hell.  I'm sorry, but why WHY WHY did we need 23 issues of a series for them to just bring that character back?  At the same time, I do appreciate how they have tied everything up - from the Black Lanterns to the forest in Star City to even the "evaporation" of characters in the book. Very cool how that all played out.  Biggest complaint, though?  Captain Boomerang showing up AFTER HE HASN'T BEEN IN THE ENTIRE SERIES...FOR ONE STUPID CONTRIVED PIECE THAT HAPPENED TO BE SOME PROPHECY!!!

*ugh*  I won't lie:  Brightest Day has been massively disappointing.  However, at least I'll get Swamp Thing back...right?  I mean, unless they kill him in the last damn issue...
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck
@CrimsonTempest said:
" No Fear Itself? O_o "
?? It's between Secret Six and Batman Beyond.
CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By CrimsonTempest
@G-Man said:
" @CrimsonTempest said:
" No Fear Itself? O_o "
?? It's between Secret Six and Batman Beyond. "
Crap in a hat, I missed it. Will look for it, the issue was really good for an opening act.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20  Edited By jakob187
@Grim: I wasn't laughing.  I was grinning ear-to-ear.  Then I realized that it took 23 issues to say "yo, Swamp Thing is back".  However, now that I've gone back and thought about a lot of stuff that happened in Brightest Day, it isn't COMPLETELY out of left field...but it's not something worth 23 issues.  Hopefully, #24 will be a good finisher issue.
besighyawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By besighyawn

man I should check out axe cop.

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers