Comic Book Reviews For The Week of 2/23/11

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This week we get a couple issues dealing with the death of a beloved character and the death of a sort of beloved character. What's interesting about them is that they both sort of took the same route in showing how characters dealt with the death. We had some other nice issues including Detective Comics, the end of the Trial of Captain America and the birth of Iron Man 2.0. If only we had time to review every single comic that came out today. Check out our reviews below. Let us know what you thought about these issues. Also, let us know about any other kick ass comic you read this week. 

No Caption Provided
 == TEASER == 
No Caption Provided

Fantastic Four #588 

Man oh man, I loved this issue. I've always dug the Fantastic Four. I've totally been enjoying Hickman's run on the series. WIth the death of a character and the obvious final issue, you might think you know what to expect here but it doesn't matter. This issue accomplished what it set out to do. It says a lot in the way that Hickman and Dragotta told the story in the way that they did. I'd imagine it's not an easy task but it felt like the two were completely on the same wavelength to pull this off the way they did. This isn't about the death of a character but more about the repercussions and what happens next.  There are so many new plot threads presented here that you will definitely want to pick up FF #1 next month.     

To read Tony's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Green Arrow #9 

As I said before, this book is better to read in trade rather than issue-to-issue. This issue itself is very good, but the story was a tiny bit weak. Green Arrow continues to be one of my favorite current series, and it has a refreshing feel to it compared to the same tedium we see week-to-week from other books. In my opinion, I'd rather see a book take a chance on something new, like Green Arrow. This book deserves more credit than it gets.  

To read Mat's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

The Invincible Iron Man #501 

The appropriate use of continuity and universe sharing comes up a lot in these reviews, and I think Fraction's Iron Man has been a textbook example of how to properly balance all of that with an accessible story. It's amazing how modular he's able to make this arc - - something that can exist and thrive on its own while still being a fitting piece to the fractal puzzle that is the Marvel world. Pitting Iron Man against the Sinister Six is so basic an idea, it seems long overdue, and I'm excited to see what braining-teasing directions this confrontation will jet into.     

To read Zack's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

Detective Comics #874 

Somehow over the years I forgot all about James Gordon Jr. I simply assumed he had died at a young age. We may be getting a little bit of reconning here but if that's the case, I'm totally fine with it. The way Scott Snyder writes the conversation between father and son in a diner will keep you glued to the comic as you turn each page slowly with anticipation over what will happen next. The second part of the issue gives us a team up with Batman (Dick) and Red Robin. It's a welcome treat and shows ties to the last arc but felt like it slightly disrupted the flow of the entire issue. Francavilla's art fits the story perfectly and I can't wait to see more on what is set up here.  

To read Tony's full review, click here.  

No Caption Provided

The Avengers #10 

The purist in me still questions how worthy the Hood is of wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, but I realize that the whole point is that this weasel is getting his hands on things he shouldn't have. Thus, it's been a long time since I've looked so forward to seeing a villain get his comeuppance as I did after this issue's cliffhanger. Plus, it's hard to argue with a regularly-priced book that gives you a whole extra comic for free.     

No Caption Provided

Incorruptible #15 

Max Damage is getting ready for the next phase in his life. He's decided to be a hero and now that the threat of the Plutonian has been removed, there's only one thing left to do. The Paradigm has offered amnesty to former villains if they help rebuild the world. Whether or not this works for Max makes for an interesting twist. Let's not forget what this could mean for his unstable non-superpowered partner, Headcase. Waid continues to deliver the story that I thought couldn't last for too long. It's great to see that there is more to Max's adventures and the addition of Marcio Takara on art duties makes the story enjoyable to look at as it is to read. The danger may be over but a new threat has risen and the cliffhanger at the end reminds you that Waid knows how to keep you wanting to come back for more.    

No Caption Provided

The Amazing Spider-Man #655 

Every once in a while, a mainstream like this gets some breathing room for interesting storytelling experiments. Indeed, I think the last time I encountered a superhero title with this kind of an elegiac storybook quality was in the Death of Betty Banner issue from Incredible Hulk in the late 90s. As far as big events go, this is definitely one to pay attention to.     

No Caption Provided

Gotham City Sirens #20 

There were some really great concepts here. It was great to see a story about Harley Quinn that delved into the psychological aspects of her character. She does a lot of trying to prove herself (to herself) and to validate her self worth in the eyes of the man she used to love; but all at the expense of killing off a lot of characters after making the reader care about them first.      

To read Sara's full review, click here

No Caption Provided

X-Men Legacy #245 

It's impossible not to evaluate this in comparison to the Age of Apocalypse and, as such, it honestly feels like a lesser-realized follow-up. Magneto and Rogue are leading a skeleton crew of X-Men whose line-up includes some morality-swapped villains, Gambit has an unrequited tension with Rogue, relationships and leadership roles have been swapped... and the specific similarities go on. The only big difference is in the costumes and even those are less interesting than the anime inspired ones from the AOA. I'm really waiting for a sharper hook to appear that'll make the AOX worthwhile.  

No Caption Provided

American Vampire #12 

It's hard to believe we've only had twelve issues of American Vampire. I was ready to be finished with vampire stories but Scott Snyder has proven that there is still (undead) life left to the concept. In this self-contained, story from the past, we learn a little more about the main character, Skinner Sweet as this story bridges the gap between the past stories we had set in the late 1800s and in the early 1900s. Do yourself a favor and check out this book.    

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 2.0 #1 

The conspicuous lack of a War Machine title notwithstanding, this is a great solo feature for Rhodey. Spencer does a great job of connecting this title to long-past adventures and to the greater going's-on in the Marvel Universe while still keeping focus tight on a terse, cutting-edge mystery. Contradictions make for great drama, and this is looking like a threat War Machine won't be able to solve with a gatling gun or a missile launcher.

No Caption Provided

New Mutants #22  

Although it's part two of the new story, you'll easily understand what's going on by the opening page of the book. However, don't consider this a New Mutants book. It's an Age of X book. It's a solid story, thus far, and if you love some of the older storylines like this one, you'll be on board for this as well. I highly recommend it.   

To read Mat's full review, click here.

No Caption Provided

King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel #1 

Seeing old King Conan is a strange but highly interesting concept. When Conan became a king and his people were defeated, Conan stood his ground. Seeing the determination that makes Conan who is is makes you root for him regardless of how you feel about Conan. The art and colors highly compliment the story giving it a great feel that doesn't    across as too bright or colorful. Despite the cliffhanger ending, you have a pretty good idea that Conan will survive, but it's still a great read.      

To read Tony's full review, click here .    

No Caption Provided

Thor #620 

The idea that Loki just died a few months back in Kieron Gillen's Thor run, and that he's been non chalantly resurrected in Fraction's undermines his death entirely. Not only does it undermine his death, but it undermine's the mourning period. In my opinion, not enough time has lapsed. I understand, however, the brevity of the current circumstances- Asgard and Midgard are facing their ultimate destruction, but how believable is the story? I am really torn over this series and this particular issue. While the art is phenomenal, the story leaves something to be desired.

To read Sara's full review, click here .         

No Caption Provided

Star Trek Infestation #2 

The Star Trek crew fighting zombies felt like such a great idea. I couldn't wait to see how it would turn out. The two-issue series was over before you know it and makes the danger feel too rushed. I felt there was a lot of potential here but unfortunately it just wasn't met. 

No Caption Provided

Amazing Spider-Man #655 

I've been loving Spider-Man's new direction since BIG TIME started. The fun and excitement takes a slight halt here as everyone deals with the death from the last issue. The art and direction of the story takes you on a strange trip. The main problem is there seems to have been a lot of character deaths in the last month so seeing yet another memorial-type issue brings the impact of the story down a little. There are a couple new developments towards the end that are worth keeping an eye on in the coming months.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jakob187

Some really great books this week.  Fantastic Four and Spidey were pretty impactful, but I definitely have to give it up to Detective Comics!  Snyder has easily usurped many others as my favorite writer.  He knows how to make tension work so damn well. 

I would also hope that people check out The Traveler #4.  I've actually been enjoying the series, and the last two issues have been pretty good.  Skullkickers #6 is also a lot of fun!

Catman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Catman9

American Vampire is a great series.One of many great Vertigo titles.    

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

A lot of great books this week. 
I just arrived home from after going to the comic book store, so I haven't read any yet but as far as I can tell my picks had high rated reviews from you guys. 

The book I'm personally most excited for is Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Doom... I'll probably write reviews for those two this week! (After so long I am finally writing a review!)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

They still make comics that go under the name Detective Comics?  

Mind blown!

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jordama

New mutants 22 reviewed but not here yet (*^&%)*&^%& 

I want to read age of X
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix

Definitely will get ASM, and might give Green Arrow another chance (since I picked up last month's), but other than that, this week might be a chance to look at some back-issues.  We'll see. 

EDIT:  Hot damn, Power Girl comes out this week.  Sorry, Ollie, you've just been replaced.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

Some really good reading this week. Nice reveal at the end of Action Comics this month, also really liked Secret Avengers #10.
Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Joe Venom

I wanna say I enjoyed reading FF, but well you know.........the Ben stuff was awesome tho

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Pizawle

An awesome slate of releases to end the month. Drives me crazy that I'm a couple of week's behind.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By doordoor123

Boring comics this week. Im really tired of boring comics. Comics have gone downhill since the end of seige and blackest night. Im really not suprised that sales in comics are decreasing. These publishing companies need to learn that quality beats quantity every time.
brewski420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By brewski420

The last issue of Fantastic Four was a great read. Def worth picking up, but my pick of the week has to be Amazing Spider-Man. I wasn't expecting for it to be such an awesome book. Slott is an amazing writer. Very well done issue.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Sobe Cin

I've enjoyed age of x so far, I think my favorite has been the trasition of Joanna Cargill from the Acolytes, won't say what has changed but I do like her character the most. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love American Vampire, but have to say that I didn't enjoy the artwork of 
Danijel Zezelj in this twelfth issue.  The story did fill in some gaps, and I appreciated that, but like Tony, I found it to be a bit short.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

(Fix)

Nateabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nateabusa

FF was amazing and a great way to end it's run. Spidey almost ALWAYS delivers, I really like that once agian the Illuminati's self righteousness and lack of planing is coming back to bite them in the ass in The Avengers. Jury is still out on Age of X...kinda confusing and wondering why i should really care about any of these alternate universe characters.