Comic Book Rants & Raves This Week: 11/09/12

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm not sure if you've heard, but we comic fans tend to be a pretty passionate and vocal crowd. Every week we shell out our hard earned cash on new comics, so it's only fair we spend a good deal of time talking about the pros and cons in each issue. In a perfect world, every issue would be pure gold. Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world and sometimes there are moments in comics that make us take a step back and say to ourselves, "Wait, what?!"

So, every week (assuming you all find this segment tolerable) I'm going to address two things I loved in my new comics and two things I wasn't especially fond of. If the week is particularly awesome (or even bad), I'll have a bonus rant/rave added. I wish I could read every new comic, but sadly I don't have the cash or even attention span for such a chore. This means there might be great (or terrible) scenes I've missed. If you think something is rant/rave worthy, please feel free to bring it up.

Rant: Green Lantern Simon Baz eluding the Justice League

"Smart," says the man with x-ray vision lifting a car (with windows) to look inside.

Okay, Simon Baz's move here was definitely a smart one. There's no way he could take on this team and there's no way he could outrun them, so trying to confuse them while he sneaks away is definitely a logical option. But should I really believe that the likes of Flash and Superman would have trouble following roughly a dozen glowing cars?

Why is Superman picking them up and looking inside when they not only have windows, but he's also sporting x-ray vision? Why is Flash standing around instead of chasing down each car and getting a quick glimpse inside to see if he's found Baz? This by no means took away from the overall quality of the issue but it certainly made me feel like Superman and Flash's effectiveness were being downplayed here. Do you think it was really an obstacle too difficult for Barry and Kal-El?

Rave: The loss of Deadpool's inner voices

Deadpool > Mighty Mouse
Deadpool > Mighty Mouse

Opinions are sure to be mixed and I'm pretty confident I'm in the minority on this one, but I was happy to see DEADPOOL #1 was free of Wade's inner voices. "What!? They're hysterical, fool!" Hear me out first, random reader. The multiple voices in his head are actually relatively new compared to the Merc with a Mouth's entire history. The simple fact is he was hilarious for years before the numerous voices in his head (okay, maybe every now and then he was just downright dislikable) and writers Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan proved he can once again deliver laughs without appearing entirely off his rocker.

I don't know about you, but I like my Deadpool to bring the crazy while still maintaining a slightly level head (Rick Remender also accomplishes this over in UNCANNY X-FORCE). We're only one issue into the new run, but so far Posehn/Duggan have managed to succeed in that regard. Deadpool's consistently funny without being irritating and that's certainly a tough feat for many writers. I won't be upset if the multiple voices return, but for now it's nice to have a bit of a break from the mess going on inside his mind. Are you happy they're gone or do you hope they'll return?

Rant: Damian's personality

Damian doesn't approve of this post.
Damian doesn't approve of this post.

I haven't been following WORLD'S FINEST but I couldn't resist checking out issue 6 because Damian was front and center on the cover. I've really grown to adore the obnoxious child over the year, especially because of writer Peter Tomasi's take on the character over in the pages of BATMAN & ROBIN. Bruce Wayne's son is an arrogant and unpleasant brat, but beneath the ego there's a degree of charm that makes him so darn lovable. You can't help but feel for the character and root for him. Sadly, this charm was nowhere to be found in WORLD'S FINEST #6 and he came off as merely annoying. I went into the issue wanting to see Damian kick all kinds of butt yet I left wishing Power Girl did far more than give him a light kick on the tush. I disliked him that much.

Robin's immaturity might take over every now and then (he is a kid after all), but despite that he's still absurdly brilliant. Talia al Ghul made him go through extensive physical and mental training his entire life. The kid could could probably stomp any of us in Scrabble ten times out of ten, so why is he calling Huntress a thief four times in the issue? I get it; she technically is because she was stealing from Wayne Industries. One could try to justify this as Damian using the word over and over to insult her, but it felt far too repetitive and it was clear the title wasn't agitating Huntress at all. Surely Damian has way more insults in his vocabulary and dubbing her that time and time again was just overly redundant.

Also, "Yours can die with you" is really how he responds to Huntress talking about secrets? I get Damian has a dark past and even crossed the line with Nobody, but yeesh, the kid isn't exactly a murderer nowadays. The remark felt like an unnecessary idle threat, especially after suspecting she's a former member of the Bat-family. I could absolutely see this version of Damian talking to Jason Todd and saying something goofy like, "You betrayed my father. Prepare to die for your treachery!" I'm still going to pick up the next issue because Damian is sticking around (I'm a fanboy like that), but I can't say I have very high hopes for his portrayal after this experience.

Rave: Geoff Johns' brilliant banter

First
First "ONE PUNCH!" now this? Guy gets no love.

Geoff Johns hasn't made me laugh this hard since AQUAMAN #1 and JUSTICE LEAGUE #1. Hero vs hero encounters happen all the time and often with no solid justification. Because of this, it was natural to think Baz was actually going to fight the Justice League after the last cliffhanger. Thankfully, Johns addresses how ridiculous that is in this case, having Baz point out that there's no way he could take them on.

The shocked expression on his face as he kneels before (ZOD!) the team is priceless. Remarking that Superman alone would wreck him and he might be able to take Batman gave me a huge laugh. Batman might be at the end of a lot of Johns' jokes, but just keep in mind how easy it was for Wayne to humiliate Hal Jordan when he swiftly took off his power ring. The Guy Gardner remark by Flash was just icing on the cake. Thanks for the lols, Geoff.

Bonus Rave: AoA Nightcrawler's most insane teleport ever

Kurt / Mr. Noms 2016
Kurt / Mr. Noms 2016

We've seen teleporation used to take off body parts and drop a person from great heights, but this was disturbingly brilliant. Let's just say Blob was too durable for Kurt, so he found a way to attack his soft and gushy organs. No words will do this justice, so go check out this week's Best Battles for the painful panels.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By krspaceT

Glad to see I am not the only one liking the Flash line

Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Haaydrian

:O

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@krspaceT: I don't see how anyone could not like it!
krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By krspaceT

@k4tzm4n: Guy fans?

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great segment. Hope to see more.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By RedQueen

Great feature :D I noticed the whole lack of Superman-using-X-ray- vision too.....just seemed like that slipped his mind though (which I guess is understandable when your dealing with heroes that have multiple powers). Loved the Nightcrawler vs Blob fight, it was brutal but still utterly, and completely awesome. And Blob had it coming, to say the least.

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't agree more on your Green Lantern rant. While I still enjoyed the book and this one scene did not ruin it, that part sure did urk me. Either Superman or Flash alone could have found Baz. However, I did like the way he fled. It makes complete sense how he did not want to face the JL and just runs for it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@krspaceT said:

@k4tzm4n: Guy fans?

Those exist? :P 

@TheSmallvillefan12@RedQueen: Thanks!  I'm hoping it'll become a weekly segment but in the end it's up to the traffic. 

@Juandicimo_Magnifico45: Completely agreed!
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_

Love this article.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By kagato

I hope Deadpools inner voices return, i love when he has arguments in his head. I also loved Kurts inventive way of taking down the Blob...just wish the series wasnt ending, i hope Evan survives this with his innocence intact...

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11  Edited By The Lobster

I agree 101% on the voices inside Deadpool's head.  I said it on the Deadpool forum, and I'll say it again.

What was interesting to me about Deadpool before Daniel Way gave him the voices with no explanation how he got them, was that Deadpool seemed like misplaced insanity. People would think he was insane but in actuality he was just confused or didn't know better. Sure locking blind old ladies in a dark room with sharp objects isn't the act of a model citizen and may be perceived as crazy but I got the feeling that Deadpool just didn't know better. After he figured out it was a bad thing and not the right way to solve his problems he stopped doing it. That to me shows he wasn't insane, just misunderstood. An insane person wouldn't stop doing something if he knew it was bad, he'd keep doing it.

Deadpool ADHD added with his fourth wall awareness, makes others think he is insane...but he wasn't. That's what I loved about him. He was the outsider not BECAUSE he was crazy, but because society thought he was. If someone came up to you and said "The whole world is a comic book", you'd think they were crazy.....but what if he was right? Would you think they were crazy still?

*sigh*.....Then Daniel Way came along, and Deadpool was given the voices in his head with no explanation how he got them other than, "Oh look at Deadpool, he soo crazy." 

The voices to me just didn't fit. The only person I know who made the voices work was Duane Schwierznkisi (I can't spell his name). He wrote it so that the white box was the writer talking to Deadpool, and the yellow was Deadpool's internal monologue. I wouldn't mind the voices, if every writer wrote it like that but that's not the case.  Maybe I'd have liked them more if there was an explanation behind them. That's what makes me furious. Daniel Way just decided to give him voices so Deadpool wouldn't need a colorful cast of characters to bounce off of.....(Which is stupid because Deadpool has some of the best side characters ever, Blind Al and Weasel are just great characters)....go back and read some of his interviews. He makes it clear that he gave him voices so the book wouldn't become "Deadpool and Friends". Fine, go ahead and do that but at least EXPLAIN how he got them. Don't just throw them in and say "They're there because he's crazy." Bull, that's just being lazy and uncreative, not to mention it undermines what previous fans of the character liked....his motormouth.

Imagine it like this. Imagine if a writer decided to say....."you know, Wolverine is too violent and he's alienating the child audiences we have.....hurm....I think I'll take away his claws." Then you read the first issue of this writers series and Wolverine suddenly has no claws and instead just fights with his fist. No explanation how he lost them, no continuity, just no more claws anymore. People would throw a hissy fit and crucify this writer. Should Daniel Way get a get out of continuity free card just because he can use the excuse that Deadpool is crazy.....which he's really not as I've explained above..... 

Daniel Way got away with this for one reason, and one reason only. Nobody knew it happened. 

Before Way's series Deadpool had a small following of fans. Nothing big. Marvel gave Daniel Way the Deadpool series as a way to introduce new readers to this character because interest was piked because of Ryan Reynolds playing him in the Origins movie. It was successful and now Deadpool is a big-shot......No body knows any better because all they've read is Daniel Way's series and nothing that came before. Which is just sad because Joe Kelly's Deadpool run is some of the greatest stuff I've ever read, and Cable and Deadpool wasn't too shabby either. To them, the voices have always been there....when really they haven't. They just popped in out of nowhere. I've heard people criticize Uncanny X-force because Rick Remender doesn't writer Deadpool with the voices.....WHAT?!!!!!! You scream lack of continuity for that, but not for the lack of continuity that Daniel Way did? That's ridiculous! Oh so it's okay to create something with no explanation, but don't take it away with no explanation....ugh.....

So I'd rather them just be gone with. Do I miss them? Not really.

Plus they kinda subtracted from the whole.....Merc with a mouth......kinda thing. How is he the merc with the mouth if all his jokes are inside his head?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By lifeboy

K4tzm4n, would you recommend buying 'worlds finest'? I dk, i might want it because Powergirl seems to be 'developing' into her pre52 character.

Column HeadColumn HeadColumn HeadColumn Head
Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Am I the only one who wants to see a Nightcrawler/Mr. Noms campaign for the 2016 election?

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#14  Edited By Cavemold

i swear superman is a blonde @

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By notarandomguy

@krspaceT said:

Glad to see I am not the only one liking the Flash line

I like Guy BUT this has to be best line ever!

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By DanialCarroll

@The Lobster : That was quite a rant, but I can understand exactly where you're coming from. The same thing happened with Moon Knight recently. He'd never had multiple personality disorder until Bendis got a hold of him. However, it wasn't the change that bothered me as much as the fact it was never explained...

MK FANS: "Where's Khonshu? Why is he no longer talking to Marc?"

BENDIS: "Oh, look, a distraction!" *runs away*

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

And there you go, Immensly powerful characters meets a writer with a limited imagination. GL's create constructs out of LIGHT, so no, it should be no problem at all for Superman to use his vision abilities to pinpoint Baz, in 2 seconds

But you have a writer who backed himself into a corner and that is when you get this insane out of character reactions from these characters

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By satyrgod

"Overly" redundant..?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123

Implying Guy deserves love.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Miss_Garrick

AoA Nightcrawler Jumped The Shark!!! Oh Noes!

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@k4tzm4n: Excellent job! Especially love the Deadpool and Nightcrawler one!

Bobzenub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Bobzenub

Guy Gardner is the best human GL, get over it, losers.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I'm not sure I'd call Deadpool "funny" in Uncanny X-Force. I agree though that they've done a great job making Deadpool funny without the voices.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BatteredArmor

Superman's lack of X-ray vision is justified several times over by Flash's Guy Gardner comment

Avatar image for jacksonvillewriter
jacksonvillewriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worlds' Finest is just a bad book. I love Earth 2. I love Huntress, Power Girl, AND Damian Wayne as characters, but every month this book fails to wow me. The zero issue was decent, but that was about it. So far, it's not even worth picking up back issues on Comixology when they drop a dollar off the price.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Is this a new thing you guys will be doing every week?

Bitchgurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bitchgurl

Any and all jokes at Guy Gardner's expensive will be appreciated by me

Seafarinhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seafarinhare

@Bitchgurl said:

Any and all jokes at Guy Gardner's expensive will be appreciated by me

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By MaxSchreck

---I went into the issue wanting to see Damian kick all kinds of butt yet I left wishing Power Girl did far more than give him a light kick on the tush. I disliked him that much.

I think it really is the writers fault that Damian continues to be such a unlikeable character. This isn`t the same Damian I started to love when Morrison made him team up with Dick .

neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By neiliusprime

well it seems to me that Deadpool didn't seem to have a lot of time to pay attention to the inner voice in his head. It will most likely come back in future issues, but from what I read in #1 it seems Deadpool is more focused on the task at hand which is good

tomtomiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tomtomiii

I love the article ... I agree that I really don't Damian in this issue. But really I don't like Damian in most things. I like the idea of the character, but so few writers can pull him off. I agree that out of the current new 52 books he's best in Batman & Robin

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@haydenclaireheroes: Yup, if there's enough traffic! 

@tomtomiii: Thank you!
Avatar image for insheepsclothes
insheepsclothes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By insheepsclothes

this segment tickled my pickle enough for the rantin' & a ravin' to hopefully become a weekly item....kudos! (and furthermore, I actually agreed with all the rants/raves here as well....although I am not as concerned w/ Wade losing the inner-voices so much as I was concerned w/ him becoming an extremely competent mercenary again in his new series instead of a buffoon-for-hire...as you might feel too....)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@insheepsclothes said:

this segment tickled my pickle enough for the rantin' & a ravin' to hopefully become a weekly item....kudos! (and furthermore, I actually agreed with all the rants/raves here as well....although I am not as concerned w/ Wade losing the inner-voices so much as I was concerned w/ him becoming an extremely competent mercenary again in his new series instead of a buffoon-for-hire...as you might feel too....)

Ha!  Thank you and yes, hopefully this will be a weekly thing.

And yes, I completely agree with the bold.
BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#35  Edited By BatWatch

Very nice, Katzman. Personally, I found everybody in Worlds' Finest to be annoying and poorly characterized.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@BatWatch: Thank you.  Yes, if I wasn't such a fanboy there's no way I'd pick up the next issue.  But alas, Damian is still in it...
modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By modunhanul

I feel sorry for Guy Gardner.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I love the fact that they're returning to a Deadpool that's more true to his roots. I'm hoping we're done with several of the useless, clownish elements Daniel Way introduced.

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheCerealKillz

Hope this feature keeps going

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@TheCerealKillz said:

Hope this feature keeps going

Thanks... I hope so too!
Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 172

#41  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

great rants and raves Night cralwer was insane with that shark TELEPORTATION

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@MadeinBangladesh: Thanks man!
BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#43  Edited By BatWatch

@k4tzm4n said:

@BatWatch: Thank you. Yes, if I wasn't such a fanboy there's no way I'd pick up the next issue. But alas, Damian is still in it...

Hmmm. Yeah, I guess I've been that way with some characters. I only follow it so I can review it...which essentially means I am reading it so I can complain about it.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Alright, Wade using the Mighty Mouse infamous line is pretty darn cool!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By reignmaker

If Johns can't find a use for Batman other than telling others what to do, he should take him off the Justice League. I'm serious.

DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DocFishstick

tell it like it is flash