• 54 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon is a very talented man who does a lot of things right... and one of those things is completely shattering our hearts by abruptly killing off characters we've grown to love. Could that happen to us when the the sequel to The Avengers lands in 2015? Entertainment Weekly wanted to know and asked the director/writer if a Marvel character will bite the dust. Naturally, he wouldn't spoil the surprise or bluntly say yes or no, but there's no real reason to rule out the possibility, is there?

“I’m always joking about that. Um…maybe? But I’d have to have a really good reason, a really great sequence for [Marvel executives] to go, ‘We’ll cut off a potential franchise, that’s fine!’ They know as any good studio does, that without some stakes, some real danger, how involved can we get? We don’t just rule it out across the board, but neither is the mission statement ‘Who can we kill?’ We try to build the story organically and go, ‘How hard can we make it on these people?’ You go to the movies to see people you love suffer-that’s why you go to the movies.”

Now, this of course isn't confirming someone will die in the film, but if Whedon is indeed going to take a character's life, who would you want it to be and why? Who do you think will have the most meaningful and emotional end? Or, are you simply voting for someone because you just don't like them (if so, harsh)?

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

Voting remains open until Thursday morning (ET). Shortly afterwards, a new feature with the poll results and more will hit the homepage, so be sure to check back then!

Source: ComicBook.com

Staff
#1 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, if Whedon wanted to really have the character's death make an impact it should probably be Nick Fury.

He's the one that put them all together from the beginning. Ultron would be dumb not to go for the backbone of the team.

#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally for me I don't want characters to die in the stories and movies I love. Its just like comic book deaths are, shabby and cliche in my opinion. I mean what's the point of even having it if after you leave the theatre you ask yourself "How long until so and so character is back?" At least that's my mindset.

#3 Posted by jkma68 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Stark, in an effort to spend more time running his company and hanging out with Pepper, creates an A.I. Ironman that is run by Jarvis...Jarvis gains complete sentience, becomes Ultron, tries to take over the world (yadda yadda yadda) Tony sacrifices himself to stop him...TWIST...but not before transferring is consciousnesses into a newly designed armor and becoming the Vision. (then they can hire someone else to be the Vision for future movies and they won't have to spend so much for RDJ).

#4 Posted by Mandrewgora (293 posts) - - Show Bio

How about nobody.

#5 Posted by Akindoodle (972 posts) - - Show Bio

How about nobody.

Too late for that. This poll's probably jinxed it now

#6 Edited by k4tzm4n (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@mandrewgora said:

How about nobody.

"Nobody should die" is an option on the poll.

Staff
#7 Posted by Shajita (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer no deaths, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Captain America. Him giving everything for his country in an epic sacrifice, and then he can be replaced with Bucky in Captain America 3 and Avengers 3, in which they can tell stories of how hard it is to fill in those giant shoes.

But that's just me, being a silly goose. No deaths if the better choice.

#8 Posted by Sammo21 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

No one should die. If anyone is expendable, I would say it would be Nick Fury. In terms of the story he served his purpose and has no role that Maria Hill couldn't fill on her own.

#9 Edited by frogjitsu (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Stark should die. He creates Ultron, and sacrifices his life to defeat him, concluding the franchise that started the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then we can get an new trilogy staring Rhodey. It would be great if tony pulls a comic book resurrection in phase 3 though.

#10 Edited by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye. He's a lame version of Black Widow.

But, Nick Fury is the most expendable since it seems likely Joss wants to give Maria Hill a bigger part.

#11 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@jkma68 said:

Tony Stark, in an effort to spend more time running his company and hanging out with Pepper, creates an A.I. Ironman that is run by Jarvis...Jarvis gains complete sentience, becomes Ultron, tries to take over the world (yadda yadda yadda) Tony sacrifices himself to stop him...TWIST...but not before transferring is consciousnesses into a newly designed armor and becoming the Vision. (then they can hire someone else to be the Vision for future movies and they won't have to spend so much for RDJ).

I'd be fie with this since RDJ is weaning himself out of the franchise

#12 Posted by MaccyD (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron man-should give more minor character a chance in the limelight.

#13 Edited by OrphanCrippler (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk, his movies made the least amount of cash

#14 Edited by Wolverine08 (38506 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Widow. Just eye candy.

#15 Posted by MarvelMan1985 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: How about Ultron? :) And bring Hank Pym in the movie, come on!!! :)

#16 Edited by nickv47 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm saying clint or black widow, possibly both. Clint can come back as Ronan, Black Widow gone means they can bring in Ms Marvel, Wasp, possibly Spider Woman.

Or Thor, just so they could to a cool resurrection.

#17 Posted by kriminal (642 posts) - - Show Bio

as much as I love evans as cap, seeing them change civil war to him being assassinated at the end of age of ultron would be really interesting. if whats his name who plays bucky wanted to do cap 3 it would be a good idea to me. maybe even do reborn for cap 4.

#18 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

why does somebody have to die? dumb question.

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: How about Ultron? :) And bring Hank Pym in the movie, come on!!! :)

Ha! Ultron was too obvious a choice and yeah, Whedon has said Pym won't be in it.

why does somebody have to die? dumb question.

Thanks for reading the piece and looking at the poll options.

Staff
#20 Posted by Casval (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Stark is a good idea, he has to pay for Lethal We... I mean Iron Man 3.

#21 Edited by sparty-dbq (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, they're not going to kill Tony because virtually the entire MCU revolves around him for some reason.

My vote is for Hawkeye. They can't seem to give him anything meaningful to do anyway

#22 Edited by ThreadPool (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Hank Pym. Oh wait...

#23 Posted by BritishMonkey (319 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be Thor, I know it. Mainly because I know he'll either be brought back to life at the end of Avengers 2, beginning of Avengers 3 or in Thor 3.

#24 Posted by wwenmdc (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@jkma68 said:

That. Is. Perfect.

#25 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15007 posts) - - Show Bio

RDJ is all ready signed for 2 more movies. If he dies, it won't be until Avengers 3.

#26 Posted by kid Apollo (708 posts) - - Show Bio

Phil Coulson should die

#27 Posted by Iron_Turtle (579 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap would be a logical choice as Bucky is being reintroduced as the Winter Soldier. Cap 3 could be Bucky's redemption story.

#28 Edited by StellarX (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis.

#29 Posted by manwithoutshame (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta go with Thor. Think about it, you kill him off, and then Thor 3 can be him fighting in Ragnarok or whatever and he can come back.

#30 Posted by Kerrigan (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon is a very talented man who does a lot of things right... and one of those things is completely shattering our hearts by abruptly killing off characters we've grown to love.

Really, Whedon's done it so often it's lost it's bite. It's also a clumsy, cheap way of manipulating your audience. That said, Cap or Thor would make the most narrative sense because they're the real "good" guys of the team.

But I'd rather Hawkeye die, because he's essentially Ultimate Hawkeye and Ultimate Hawkeye is crap.

#31 Posted by UltimateJonathan (107 posts) - - Show Bio

None

#32 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankly it sounds like you want one of them to die. I'd like to see Hawkeye and Black Widow both kick the bucket because when you've got Thor, Iron Man and Hulk who really cares about two "assassins." Plus I'm still waiting for a death so that another character can emerge i.e. Ms. bloody Marvel!!!!!!!!!

#33 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

None of the big 4 should die especially Captain America. If he dies I will rage quit everything. However if one of the lesser four (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, or Quicksilver) I won't be too heartbroken

#34 Posted by Akindoodle (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@akindoodle said:

@mandrewgora said:

How about nobody.

"Nobody should die" is an option on the poll.

That's cool. Thanks for the info

#36 Posted by kaiklown (64 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I dislike Marvel movies. You all know whats going to happen in the end. Wil be happily ever after with just about everyone getting blown to bits but of course dont. Zzzzzzzzzzz I love the idea of something dying. Take us out of our comfort zone. That why I like DC and Batman, you dont know if he will die at the end. (Dropping the ball on that with Nolan and no one will have the balls to ever do it now...) but whatever... ya Marvel is snores vile if there is no danger.

#37 Posted by Monarch_Chronicle (898 posts) - - Show Bio

@kaiklown: I completely disagree, I never ONCE feared that Bruce would die. Warner just does not have it in them.

#38 Edited by k4tzm4n (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordrequiem said:

Frankly it sounds like you want one of them to die. I'd like to see Hawkeye and Black Widow both kick the bucket because when you've got Thor, Iron Man and Hulk who really cares about two "assassins." Plus I'm still waiting for a death so that another character can emerge i.e. Ms. bloody Marvel!!!!!!!!!

No idea how you reached that conclusion if you read the article and not just the title, but no.

Staff
#39 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@shajita said:

I'd prefer no deaths, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Captain America. Him giving everything for his country in an epic sacrifice, and then he can be replaced with Bucky in Captain America 3 and Avengers 3, in which they can tell stories of how hard it is to fill in those giant shoes.

But that's just me, being a silly goose. No deaths if the better choice.

My thoughts exactly.

#40 Edited by Bloxxeh (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd want it to be Tony Stark that dies. Stark was like the Avenger's leader. I think it'd be interesting seeing a world without Iron Man.

#41 Edited by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see it being Hawkeye, but now that I question it further, a part of me is saying Captain America.

#42 Posted by ScreamingGhost (80 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd just be retreading what happened in the first Avengers to kill a character once again.There can still be high stakes without taking down a main character.

#43 Posted by poumap (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Black Widow or Hawkeye because but maybe Nick Fury could die too and then replaced him by another Nick Fury (kind of codename) but this time with a caucasian actor.

#44 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

Wright in vote, ULTRON!

#45 Edited by FlashKnight (448 posts) - - Show Bio

They won't kill of the big 4 (too much potential $), and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are just making their first appearances, so they will most likely be safe. So that leaves Black Widow and Hawkeye. If I had to bet, I think it would be Hawkeye, just because Renner has complained publicly about his role in the first movie and is not in any other Phase 2 films. Plus Black Widow is female, I doubt they'd kill off one of the two females on the team (need a balance). And oh yeah, Fury won't die, it would be repetitive seeing as how Coulson kicked the bucket in the first movie (2 Shield agents...).

So, if someone has to die, it's going to be Hawkeye.

#46 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1356 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye or Black Widow

#47 Posted by .Longshot. (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye. I really liked Renner as Hawkeye, and I wanna see more of him in the next movie, but in the first Avengers movie, he spent most of his screen time under Loki's control. It would be good to see him have a much more heroic presence in Age of Ultron, and that might result in a sacrifice. As long as they make it matter and don't send him off like Cyclops in X-Men: The Last Stand, I'll be happy.

#48 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7529 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Chris Hemsworth bitching about playing Thor in more movies?

It's going to be him.

#49 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye because they completely ruined his character ;.;.

#50 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (257 posts) - - Show Bio