Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Will You Miss Superior Spider-Man?

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Will You Miss Superior Spider-Man? (378 votes)

Yes! I've grown to love Otto as Spidey! 54%
No, because Peter Parker is back! 38%
Who? What? Sorry, CV, but I'm not following the current run. 7%

Man, it's tough to believe SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN is coming to an end. Despite taking place way back in December of 2012, the internet exploding over the events of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700 really doesn't feel like it was too long ago. Now the 31st issue -- the big finale! -- of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN drops this week and Peter Parker is seemingly back in control; however, he has quite a lot to fix after Otto set his life in a whole new and rather abrasive direction. This week, we want to how the Comic Vine crowd feels about this development. Are you sad to see Otto go or is Peter's return simply too exciting for you? Or, are you not reading the volume and have no idea what we're talking about?

Voting will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). After you vote, be sure to leap into the comments and elaborate. Why bother with the effort, you ask? Because, in Thursday's article, we'll highlight some of the best posts that were made by you, the Viners. Make it awesome enough -- be it serious or comedic -- and there's a chance we'll feature it in the article. The only rules are it can't include images and must follow the site's overall rules. Well, what are you waiting for? Go vote!

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #31 goes on sale 4/16/14. Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for an updated results article!

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No. How can a Spidey fan say any different?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

How could I not?

Ock-Spider is Best-Spider.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

His run was interesting and made me read every single issue, but I think about 31 issues was a good stopping point, anymore and the Superior story would have grown boring and stale. I liked Superior but I think it was about time the real Spider-Man came back.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not really.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I will miss the costume

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, because I didn't read it.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the run very much but I'm glad to have Peter back.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Never read the series. Is it worth picking up the run in trade paperback versions?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9 frozen  Moderator

Waste of time.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I was *ahem* angry at Dan Slott for killing Peter, however, once I picked it up and began to read it. I fell in love with Otto as Spidey! Of course I knew it wouldn't last forever, and I'm not sure I could take another 2 years of smug and arrogant Otto without him getting a fist in the jaw, but Superior had amazingly excellent writing, crazy twists, suspense-filled action, endearing characters and a fresh new take on the wall crawler. I will miss SpOck (as he has been lovingly called) and the adventures Slott put him through, although I'm happy for the return of Peter. All in all, I'm on board for whatever Dan Slott puts to paper and hope this will not be the end of the great character of Otto Octavius.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By hart7668

I was totally prepared for Superior to last another 23 years. Would've been totally cool with it.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

spiderfreak55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bitter sweet for me, the Superior run was freaking amazing, but there is only one true Spider-man and that is Peter Parker.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, never, maybe what I will miss is complain about it.

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@jayc1324 said:

No. How can a Spidey fan say any different?

because it was a really cool idea and it worked really well. I loved SpOck and am sad to see Peter return so quickly.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Not even a little bit. I only wish Slott was going with him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobenracicot: I disagree. We went over a year without seeing peter parker, he needs to come back. SpOck was never meant to last

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By micah007123

Hell yes. Back to the old status quo we go -_-

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'll miss Dr.Spider-pus, he's been a lot of fun.

But, having the old Spidey back is good too. I'll never complain about him being gone, but he was fun while he was around. I guess I'll miss him more than Peter Parker, but obviously Parker was bound to return.

wells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wells

I was *ahem* angry at Dan Slott for killing Peter, however, once I picked it up and began to read it. I fell in love with Otto as Spidey! Of course I knew it wouldn't last forever, and I'm not sure I could take another 2 years of smug and arrogant Otto without him getting a fist in the jaw, but Superior had amazingly excellent writing, crazy twists, suspense-filled action, endearing characters and a fresh new take on the wall crawler. I will miss SpOck (as he has been lovingly called) and the adventures Slott put him through, although I'm happy for the return of Peter. All in all, I'm on board for whatever Dan Slott puts to paper and hope this will not be the end of the great character of Otto Octavius.

Yeah I feel the same, I will admit it was interesting but I was not a fan of the smugness of ock and how they kept trying to show peter in a bad light.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By micah007123

@wells: But what has Peter done that shows he was more determined, focused, and inventive than Ock?

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23  Edited By TobenRacicot

@jayc1324 said:

@tobenracicot: I disagree. We went over a year without seeing peter parker, he needs to come back. SpOck was never meant to last

How do you know SpOck was never meant to last? How long was Barry Allen dead? Why not have a different story and explore a different person under the mask? Is Miles Morales not supposed to last either?

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even a little bit. I only wish Slott was going with him.

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

WHO CARES WHEN THE REAL SPIDER-MAN COMES BACK--SPIDER-MAN 2099

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@patrat18 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I will miss the costume

The first SSM costume was the best SM costume I have seen.

The fact that Otto is winning is affecting my health.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Of course I'm gonna miss SpOck. He may have been an arrogant, loud mouth, know-it-all but it was fun seeing him actually fight crime and actually get stuff done

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little bit. It had some awesome moments and was such a cool and interesting story. I'm also curious to see peter smooth everything over with Anna Maria. But I have to say the last page of 30 had me in fanboy mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobenracicot: it wasn't meant to last because there's no way marvel was permanently killing off the face of the company. Different people can be under the mask but notice Peter can still be alive with miles and miguel and all the other spidermen. Not with Spock though. Its like when they killed Bruce Wayne. No way was that permanent and no way dick Grayson being Batman was meant to last.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc Ock is the Superior Spider-man.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#32  Edited By Fenderxx

Still hoping for ock to be the Superior Supporting Character!

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I've never liked Peter Parker.

wells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wells

@micah:

I'm not saying either one was more determined, focused and inventive then the other, they both worked hard to do a good job of helping people but I just wasn't a fan of how ock was an arrogant jerk about it and treated others around him(except anna maria) like chess pieces that move how he wants them to and how they showed peter in a bad light: like having him try to stop a little girl from being saved with the use of a brain scanner to prevent himself from being discovered.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The only thing I enjoyed about Superior was the appearances from other characters such as Spider-Man 2099 and Agent Venom. I honestly didn't even notice Ock.

phiremoused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand the “Tue Spider Fans” dislike for this title but this was an amazing concept. This reverberated the whole “great power and responsibility” mantra he’s been saying for years. Granted Ock never really had the grasp he thought he did but I think had this been an on-going series he would have been slowly guided over to be more peter parkeresque styles of thinking. It’s the whole walking a mile in his nemesis’ shoes so to speak. It would have given the fans a new perspective on the view of a superhero and really understanding the parker world and the day to day sacrifices that Peter easily chose while Ock thought he could overcome and failed. I am glad for the spider fans they have Peter Parker back but I will miss this character very much. I feel he wasn’t really given the proper chance to say goodbye like we thought Peter was given. Also I agree with some of the other fans…change the freaking costume

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@theacidskull said:

The fact that Otto is winning is affecting my health.

he isn't if you add the "No" and "I'm not reading it" together (which is more or less the same)

still, the fact that he isn't getting stomped is affecting my health.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wells: Yeah, he was a jerk. But in the grand scheme of things he was much more sophisticated character than Peter. And was alot more interesting.

wells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@wells: Yeah, he was a jerk. But in the grand scheme of things he was much more sophisticated character than Peter. And was alot more interesting.

eh whatever, anyway I am glad peter is back and can't wait for the ending of superior and the new volume of amazing

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 58

Superior was fun while it lasted, but the more and more Otto that seeped into Superior Spiderman, the less and less I was enjoying it. It was entertaining and interesting when it was about how Otto was better at some things than Peter,specifically being prepared and utilizing his science background more. Once it became Spider-Jerk who seemed like he was working his way toward dictator with the island compound, I was starting to lose interest.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

In ten years time, this will be treated as a joke by future writers.

Mary Jane: "Peter you seem a bit off? I hope your not possessed by Doctor Octopus again"

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By micah007123

@wells: you do that. On the up side I finally have an open spot on my pull list for something else.

P.S it won't be the new volume of Amazing.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Billy Batson
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ultimastarkiller
UltimaStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By UltimaStarkiller

For me, Superior Spider-Man was the first ongoing Spider-Man series that I started following. Even though I've been a fan of comics for most of my young life, I only started buying single issues after the start of the "Marvel NOW!" initiative. I didn't even start reading the book when if first came out, as I started reading the series around the time issue #9 came out. It was only after I had started hearing about the developments in the story and people at my LCS recommending the book to me, that I started reading it. I bought all the single issues up to that point, and I'm happy to say that I don't regret doing so for a second. Being that I had no real emotional ties to the Peter Parker character in the comic book universe, I wasn't really hung up on the fact that Peter died. I had my doubts about the story, sure. I mean, it's a villain being Spider-Man, an idea that could have gone terribly wrong. But I didn't have a love for the Peter character like other long time fans did (and still do), so it was pretty easy to get into it, and the series truly was a lot of fun to read.

I always found the series to be very engaging, to the point that it was hard to wait for the series to release it's newest issue even after going to a bi-weekly schedule. It really is saying something that Otto, for being as despicable as he could be, was never a character I grew to hate or despise or get annoyed with. Even though he did terrible things, I was always able to sympathize with (or at least understand) him because of his (admittedly questionable) motivations. Doing what he believed was "right", the fact that he was successful in his endeavors, made him that much more interesting of a character to read about, especially when it was hard to argue the logic behind his actions (Killing a villain to keep him from hurting or killing others). It was especially interesting to see the story from the perspective of a villain-turned-forcibly-hero, doing what he believed to be the heroic action, seeing him fight crime in a manner that could still be considered villainous, but with twisted heroic intentions. Speaking of which, it was refreshing to see a villain in the hero role for so long, and not have it simply play out as a "What If?" story. Actions had weight to them, and everything he did made it that much more interesting, leaving you wonder what the destination to this journey would be.

If anything, the only reason why I really want to see Peter return as Spidey is to see how he handles the fallout from Otto's actions. I know people have hated the SpOck character (even if they haven't read the story), but this is a case of a story (hopefully) being a means to a new end, and not simply rehashing more stories, and a story that will be beneficial to the Peter character. It's a story that felt important every time I read it, one that even with it's problems (the "characters dumb down" argument. some of the stories missing their potential, ex. "Darkest Hour" ), was always something I looked forward to reading.

I'll miss SpOck, and do wish the story had gone on a little longer to see where the series could've possibly gone next, as I think the story still had a lot more possibilities to explore. For all I know, Dan Slott might blow it and make the series pointless (I don't think he will, but expectations are certainly high). That being said, whatever the fallout may be, this is the story that helped cement my place as a Spider-Man fan and reader, even if it wasn't because of Peter Parker, and one that I know that I'll always look back fondly on.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Loading Video...

It seemed fitting for those who loves the series but wants Peter back

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

@k4tzm4n No option for both?

Boo. Boo this poll.

Real Spider-Man fans (and comic book fans in general) would say both.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers