• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) 7 months, 4 days ago

Poll: Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: What's Your Favorite Comic Book Movie Reboot? (402 votes)

The Amazing Spider-Man 11%
Batman Begins 37%
Captain America: The First Avenger 10%
Dredd 21%
Fantastic Four 0%
The Incredible Hulk 2%
Man of Steel 16%
The Punisher 1%
Punisher: War Zone 1%
Transformers 0%

Reboots are definitely not in short supply nowadays. Some do a brilliant job bringing a franchise back, while others...well, let's just be nice and say they fail to capture what makes the source material special. Later this year, we'll see a whole new approach to Godzilla and TMNT, but this week, RoboCop is coming back to theaters (check out our review HERE). So, let's be all kinds of topical and reflect on the comic book movie reboots we've watched over the last decade or so. We've placed ten of these films on the poll (we've added Transformers because of the epic animated movie) and your job is simple: pick your favorite one and, if you're up for it, tell us why the reboot rocks. Go on, get your vote on.

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET). Two days should be enough time to rewatch a few of these movies if you really want to, right? Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for the updated article. Not only will it contain the poll's results, but it'll also highlight some of the best posts Viners made about these movies. That could be you. Yes, you, so go make an awesome post about why you love one of these films!

#1 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fun that these "reboots" sort of never had any original movies to begin with.

#2 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fun that these "reboots" sort of never had any original movies to begin with.

Such as?

#3 Posted by DedrabbiT (588 posts) - - Show Bio

They all had prior existing live action movies.

#4 Edited by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio
@themanintheshoe said:

Batman Begins: Burton's Batman

The Amazing Spider-Man: Raimi's Spider-Man

Dredd: Stallone's Judge Dredd

The Incredible Hulk: Lee's Hulk

The Punisher: Lundgren's Punisher

Punisher War Zone: Whole new take on the franchise yet again = reboot.

Man of Steel: Donner's Superman.

Transformers: Transformers: The Movie (biggest exception but that's why it's... you know, mentioned in the article)

Captain America: The First Avenger: '90 Captain America

Fantastic Four: '94 Fantastic Four

Care to actually say what you voted for now?

Staff
#5 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5047 posts) - - Show Bio

Transformers, Captain America , FF shouldn't be considered reboots. Obviously Batman Begins will win for best reboot due to how bad some of the previous films were and how popular he is as a character. But I think Dredd was a better reboot being more faithful to the source material.

#6 Posted by mak13131313 (559 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Batman Begins. It made Batman relevant in movies again. Man of Steel would be my second choice, followed by Captain America.

#7 Posted by TommytheHitman (3188 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Man of Steel. Would have voted Dredd but Man of Steel was SO underrated! Granted Dredd failed in the box office but everyone thinks its awesome so...

#8 Posted by MrTummyTumms (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Dredd should take this.

#9 Posted by ColaNicole (586 posts) - - Show Bio

I went with Man of Steel. Dredd was amazing, though.

#10 Posted by Erik (32762 posts) - - Show Bio

Transformers, Captain America , FF shouldn't be considered reboots. Obviously Batman Begins will win for best reboot due to how bad some of the previous films were and how popular he is as a character. But I think Dredd was a better reboot being more faithful to the source material.

That's like saying MoS shouldn't be considered a reboot.

#11 Posted by BuNKiTZ (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... Tough choice for me... Batman Begins, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, or Man of Steel...?

#12 Posted by Deadgod (1382 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd , true representation of Judge Dredd , great acting & a great Rated R comic book movie in a long time

#13 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by Bull_iod (46 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Jphu8414 (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins and Man of Steel

#16 Edited by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio

WHOA, DREDD IS IN FIRST PLACE?

YOU'RE AMAZING, COMIC VINE.

Staff
#17 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: @dedrabbit: @mk111: I wasn't trying to saying this wasn't a real contest. But what I'm saying is, for example the FF movie was never released.

#18 Edited by inferiorego (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

DREDD!

War Zone a close second. ASM a close third.

Lots of close happening.

Staff
#19 Edited by Vulshock (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted Batman. Haven't seen the Stalone Dredd movie and I'm not familiar with the source material.

#20 Edited by Jphu8414 (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa Dredd is winning this thing? I ain't even mad I guess, it was pretty awesome

#21 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3079 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd was Awesome but I vote for MOS!

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd all the way, fantastic film that was true to the source material

#23 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider Man hands down

#24 Edited by GeekyEverAfter (346 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Man of Steel, but I'm hoping the new fantastic four reboot will be my favorite.

#25 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14353 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider Man

#26 Posted by ClawFist (330 posts) - - Show Bio

DREDD!!! Everything a Reboot should be, all in one fantastic movie package.

#27 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd

#28 Edited by Wolverine08 (42132 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins and The Amazing Spider-Man.

#29 Posted by Cloakx14 (2997 posts) - - Show Bio

Mos.

#30 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I chose Man of Steel but it was between that and Dredd

#31 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (8209 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd though Batman Begins runs it close.

#32 Posted by MaccyD (4053 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Dredd, I doubt it'll win considering it isn't marvel or DC though.

#33 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7724 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man, for one film, has been a far better telling of Spider-Man for me so far. The Nolan Batman trilogy was excellent as well, as was Man of Steel. Dredd was decent. Going to give my vote to Spider-Man.

Most excited for Godzilla this year though.

#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really divided here between Batman Begins and Captain America The First Avengers.And if anybody is confused here why is there even a comparision between the two for me it's because even not good enough the original and first Batman movie was still good enough while the Captain America movie was full bs.

Batman Begins is the best of all of the movies maybe even combined for me but there shouldn't be such a thing as if it is a good reboot since the Batman series back in 90's were ruined just in the final two movies,while the first two were still good enough.

#35 Edited by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

DREDD the best !!!!

#36 Posted by manwithoutshame (654 posts) - - Show Bio

The new Dredd movie is one that I've come back to and watched again and again. It's in the rotation of classic movies to watch with your friends.

#37 Posted by averywetfrog (195 posts) - - Show Bio

1.)Dredd 2.)Batman Begins 3.)Captain America: The First Avenger 4.)The Amazing Spider-Man 5.)Transformers 6.)Man of Steel 7.)Fantastic Four 8.)The Incredible Hulk

Never seen the Punisher movies, anyone recommend them?

#38 Edited by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman of course

don't care for MoS or ASM

surprise Superman Returns is not on here

#39 Posted by CyberWarrior (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

Swear to me!!

#40 Posted by Jphu8414 (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic Four is getting no votes so I'm happy

#41 Edited by kennybaese (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

I adore Dredd, but I don't think it's going to launch a franchise. This makes it more of a remake than a reboot in my opinion.

Batman Begins, on the other hand, was pretty incredible, especially given how far the Batman movie franchise had fallen. Coincidentally, I re-watched all three movies over the weekend, and while there are some over all tonal inconsistencies, the trilogy as a whole is a cohesive, epic, and moving story about what the Batman is. Batman Begins started that, with a balance of the dark, gothic look and comic book tone of the Tim Burton movies with the hyper-realistic cityscapes realistic(ish) terrorist drama that dominated the other two movies.

Batman Begins made Batman relevant again in a way he wouldn't have been without it, and set the stage for The Dark Knight's demand that comic book film be taken seriously and not dismissed entirely as popcorn entertainment. For that alone it gets my vote.

#42 Posted by ccraft (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd was awesome, but I voted MoS it was amazing.

#43 Posted by kennybaese (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: I remember thinking pretty lowly of War Zone when it came out. Maybe I should go back and watch it again.

#44 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Imma go ahead and be apart of the minority that says Man of Steel.

#45 Posted by Pokeysteve (8292 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Man of Steel.

Batman of course

don't care for MoS or ASM

surprise Superman Returns is not on here

Returns wasn't a reboot. It took place after Superman 2.

#46 Posted by SynCig (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins. Loved it when I first saw it and I still love it every time I re-watch it.

#47 Posted by McHotcakes (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on Dredd

#48 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins for me. It's a movie but it's one of my favorite Batman stories of all time.

My favorite scenes

#49 Posted by RedX17 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd or man of steel. Those are awesome.

#50 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5047 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik: How is Transformers a reboot? It never had any prior live action films, not to mention the only film was animated. Hardly a reboot. FF and Cap both had horrible never in theatres films that should never have been made, I don't count those. MoS had previous successful films albeit some that weren't so successful, none the less none of the Supes films were as atrocious as the first FF and Cap movies.