• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by G-Man (34145 posts) 11 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Treatment of Female Characters (428 votes)

DC Comics 28%
Marvel 41%
Dark Horse 3%
Image 23%
Dynamite Entertainment 1%
Other 4%

The treatment of women in comics has come a long way. If you've read any Silver or Golden Age comics, you'll likely come across some scenes and dialogue that are pretty far out there and pretty wrong. While things have gotten a lot better and we are seeing more and more female readers enjoying mainstream comics, for ever two step forwards, the industry occasionally takes a step back.

This was something that was brought up on Twitter over the weekend (using the hashtag #ComicWomen). There are those that strongly feel some publishers are doing it right or simply doing it better. The question is, which publisher do you think is handling the portrayal of women the best. Try to consider all their characters.

The poll will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). Once the poll is locked, a new article will hit the homepage with the results and more. And, if you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and share with the community some "must read" stories for the character who earned your love. That'll allow other people to potentially check 'em out and see why you dig the character so much.

#101 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (5600 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel IMO.

#102 Posted by Strider92 (16462 posts) - - Show Bio

Image by far. Just read Lazarus.....

#103 Posted by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

Image by far. Just read Lazarus.....

You and Mercy give Lazarus such great praise that if it weren't for circumstances limiting the number of comics I read a month, I might have added this to my pull list. My only qualm with Image's treatment of women is that there aren't any distinct or well known female leads Image are known for. Most of Image's best known work is male dominated protagonists whereas DC have a niche market of female protagonists. That's what swayed me into voting DC over Image because I sure wasn't gonna vote Marvel.

#104 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

None of the publishers actually.Every publisher has a few well known women that get some great treatment but the rest are just forgotten by the writers and the fans.

#105 Edited by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read many comics from all of the comic companies (other than DC) to say but I do think DC has been sinking on their female characters lately IMHO.

Though, Scott Snyder writes a great Lois Lane, Barbara Gordon is a strong character...I just think it depends who's writing the character.

I can't say which company treats their female characters better but I do know I love Captain Marvel (from Marvel) and Lazarus (from Image).

#106 Posted by dmcritfail (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted Marvel, absolutely.

#107 Posted by mondo625 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

How can you guys even think DC? Just pick up Catwoman its a joke. Yes Wonder Woman is having a great run and Batwoman was good (the future of the series is yet to be seen) but the other books are hit or miss, Batgirl can't get anything going because it has to tie in with everything going on with Batman. After Forever Evil Pandora makes zero sense as a character, DC just doesn't know how to give its female characters an identity without being attached to a guy. I feel Marvel is having a better run Now with their female characters and if you don't think so then your not reading Marvel books and are talking from a fanboy point of view. Captain Marvel, Fearless Defenders (highly underrated), X-Men, are great female lead books. Then if you read the books you'll see that almost every book has very strong female characters in them, for example Medusa and She Hulk in FF, Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy, Pepper in Iron Man, Ms. America and Kate in Young Avengers, Sue Storm in Fantastic Four, Elektra in Thunderbolts, Sif in Thor. Not to mention all the mutants; Storm, Jean Grey, Rachelle Grey, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Magik, Emma Frost, Rouge. Plus a lot have had "makeovers" since the 90's. The ones that are still dressed a certain way also portray themselves as very sexual (Gamora, Emma Frost). Explain Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy, also maybe not in Wonder Woman's own title but in every other title shes in they tend to focus on her love life a lot. She has been seen with Superman, Colonel Trevor, and Orion. So Yes right now Marvel is winning, as far as the others publishers go its too open in Image and Dynamite is a joke being on this list.

#108 Posted by RogueShadow (10743 posts) - - Show Bio

Image, no contest.

#109 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Dynamite gets the lowest number of votes ::rolls eyes and shakes head::

#110 Edited by BallPointHero (134 posts) - - Show Bio

@shallbecomeabattoo said:

Marvel??? Don't make me laugh. Apart from Captain Marvel, maybe. Most marvel women are still dressed like strippers all the time (Psylocke for example).

DC still all the way. Wonder Woman is leaps and bounds ahead of every other female lead comic out there and it doesn't stop there.

Batwoman is awesome and a great character, who gets treated the same way as male characters (in story at least)

the JLD ladies are great

Abby in Swamp Thing is an awesome character, who gets treated absolutely right

Batgirl is treated right, even if don't like the stories

Hawkgirl is one of the best character in Earth 2

Harley more or less leads Suicide Squad and gets her own ongoing. They even get some distance between her and the negative relationship with Joker.

Talia was a huge villain and insanely capable in Batman inc. in a way no marvel villainess was ever

Mera is a huge badass and still retains her femininity as the queen on Arthurs side

All females in Animal Man are great written and used characters, especially Buddys daughter

Say what you want about women in fridges, but DC is good to their female characters.

Some of the accusations are sooo wrong in this post.

1. Psylocke is hasn't been sporting her 90's costume for a while now.

\

2. WW is Superman's arm candy love interest and she still fights in a swim suit/armored lingerie while her male Justice League colleagues are all firmly suited up from neck to toe. Meanwhile, Captain Marvel is fully armored in a respectable hero suit and isn't half dressed when compared to her male counterparts.

3.4.5.7 are great points.

6. They took Barbara out of a powerful role as Oracle, and reduced her back to being another hot girl in leather tights. Not only did they strip her of influence and skills, but they also took away one(if not the only) wheel-chair bound heroes out there. However, paralyzed or not, Barbara could and should have been Oracle in the n52. There is nothing special Batgirl Babs can do in Gotham that Nightwing, Batwoman or any other Bat-member can't do already. So yeah, just a hot redhead in tights(only not gay).

8. Harley. Now this is a girl who got stripperific. She went from this, to this.

9. Pretty sure that there are a list of Marvel Villainesses who were as evil and capable, if not more, than Talia.

10/11. Mera is badass, but she's still just a supporting character. Baker's family is too.

I'm a DC person too, but after the all-female X-men, all powerful Defenders and now She-Hulk. You gotta admit that Marvel has DC beat. This isn't even considering the other female Marvel characters who are serving as supporting characters too.

#111 Posted by BallPointHero (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall point: I don't think that Wonder Woman is at all lesser in the New 52, and I really really enjoy just about everything about her solo series. It just keeps pumping her up with more power and she's definitely the strongest of that entire cast (even Orion, Hera, etc.).

The thing is, with the n52, Diana's warrior combat training is now mostly from Ares and her powers are now inherited from Zeus, as opposed to pre-52, where Diana was trained by all the Amazons on Themyscira and was divinely blessed from birth with powers gifted from the Goddesses.

So now DC's female champion's origin has changed, so that most, if not all, of her strength and skills originate from men instead of women.

Add this to the fact that she's the only half dressed member(and only female member) of the Justice League, and she is now also Superman's love interest(because the world's most powerful woman can only date the world's most powerful man ;p)...all of this rubs off in the wrong way.

#112 Posted by time (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

Top cow/image comics. Witchblade and sara pezzini have been around for a hundred and fifty some issue.

I find it strange, that Top Cow are not even listed on the poll. Sara Pezzini has been around for years. She 's a strong female lead and one of the best.

If Top cow, was in the poll I would voted for them. I'm going go with DC, out of the above. We have Batwoman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman. All these ladies have there own titles. They had it for for three years now.

I started to read more DC titles, cause of how they treat there ladies. Only now is Marvel is treated there ladies with respect. Just look at the X-Men comics, for 12 years they treated the X-ladies poorly and with disrespect. With only Emma Frost being the main lady. What was she doing, oh yeah living Cyclops shadows for 6 years. Only now are giving the X-ladies the treatment they deserve.

#113 Posted by time (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man Can I ask why isn't Top Cow listed in your poll, Sara Pezzini has been one of the best lady in comics. She has had own she series for years.