Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Thoughts on The Walking Dead Season 4 So Far?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Thoughts on The Walking Dead Season 4 So Far? (139 votes)

Love it. Has the potential to be the best season yet. 32%
Really enjoying it. Excited to see what's next. 38%
It's okay. 17%
Not too happy with this season. 2%
Really not a fan. Considering not watching anymore or have already stopped watching. 11%

The Walking Dead won't be back until February. Waiting over two months for new episodes is no fun, but on the plus side, the show left us with one heck of a mid-season finale. Besides, this gives you plenty of time to catch up on Robert Kirkman'scomic, right? Based on comments in the mid-season finale review, it's clear many people really loved the episode. However, opinions were definitely mixed on the seven which came before it.

This week, we want to see how the Comic Vine community truly feels about the the first half of season four. Do you think it's totally engrossing and could be your favorite one yet? Are you left down the middle? Did it make you stop watching the show on AMC? After you vote, we encourage you to speak mind in the comments. That said, it's safe to say the conversation will be filled with spoilers from the season. So if you're not current and don't want any surprises ruined, you may want to fix that before reading the discussion.

The poll will remain open until Thursday morning (ET). Once it's locked, a new article will go live with the results and more. If you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and get your elaboration on. If awesome enough and about the poll's winning option, we just may highlight it in updated feature! Check the homepage Thursday to see the results and more!

• 
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

actually the show is at its peak IMO, last episode was my favorite

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I really don't know how to vote here....all of the episodes dealing with the virus at the prison were just as boring as the farm episodes from season 2 but the Governor centric episodes were great and the mid season finale was amazing

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I've only watched the mid-season finale of this season. About the third episode of the whole series i've seen actually.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

It started out pretty meh, but it's been great from episode five onward.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Fallschirmjager

sucked until last week.

the whole season basically felt like filler to this point. They could have had this episode to end last season.

The sickness episodes were pointless and only gave us 1 major thing (writing Carol out). And The Governer episodes were pointless seeing as he just ended up doing what he did in the comics again.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I'm enjoying it, always have, but after season 1 I had to constantly convince myself to watch it, I wasn't as excited for it week to week. But Season 4 is making me excited for the show again, I cannot wait till February!

I am bummed about Carol though and hope she comes back, she was possibly one of the most developed and interesting characters from that show. She went from a scared, abused woman to someone who could possibly hold her own against Rick and Daryl if she needed to. Loved her transformation and its a shame to see her go.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

And The Governer episodes were pointless seeing as he just ended up doing what he did in the comics again.

To be fair, not everyone who watches the show has read the comics. Out of curiosity, what else was there for The Governor to do?

On another note, the scene after Rick gave the coexisting speech reminded me of The Killing Joke, when Batman tries to talk down The Joker, only for The Joker to realize he's too far gone.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laabitres

i just want rick to get back with t he main group i thought it was messed up that the bus just left and im glad the governor got what he deserved i also feel terrible for judith

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dud317 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

And The Governer episodes were pointless seeing as he just ended up doing what he did in the comics again.

To be fair, not everyone who watches the show has read the comics. Out of curiosity, what else was there for The Governor to do?

On another note, the scene after Rick gave the coexisting speech reminded me of The Killing Joke, when Batman tries to talk down The Joker, only for The Joker to realize he's too far gone.

Its still pointless though. We didn't need to see him get another group if he was only going to attack the prison again. What changed? Nothing. All that happened was we were introduced to new characters who died 2 episodes later.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Best season by far in my opinion. I like the direction the new showrunner is taking.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By judasnixon

Daryl took out a F-ing Tank!!!

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vicske77

The first few episodes in my opinion were mediocre. The finale kind of made of for it though. It was exciting and leaves you waiting for next season. So many different possibilities....

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Its still pointless though. We didn't need to see him get another group if he was only going to attack the prison again. What changed? Nothing. All that happened was we were introduced to new characters who died 2 episodes later.

I disagree they were pointless for a few reasons. For those viewers who haven't read the comics, episode 6 gave them insight to The Governor that none of us knew existed. He showed he was capable of compassion. Even with doubt, viewers began to question his nature, especially when he risked his life to get the oxygen tanks. In episode 7, while he began to exhibit the kill or be killed mentality, he tried to leave with the girls. It appeared he wanted to move on before finally deciding to lead.

While I agree they could have essentially ended the last season with this episode, lets not forget how much character development occurred. You pointed out Carol, obviously. Rick is in a better mental state and his relationship with Carl is the best it's ever been. We've got more on Abraham than we had before, while he and his group is now a trusted part of the community. Finally, the six episodes outside of The Governors centric episodes gave us a stronger Hershel. His moral center, will, and medical training was a tremendous part of keeping people alive and in as good of spirits as they could possibly be in such a situation. Mostly, it gave the viewers a more fleshed out, beloved character, that unfortunately became a martyr.

Sometimes you have to unlearn what you've read in the comics and try to examine this as a first time viewer. In a show with a central theme of ethics, everything has a purpose on the screen for the greater good of the story.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dud317 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

I disagree they were pointless for a few reasons. For those viewers who haven't read the comics, episode 6 gave them insight to The Governor that none of us knew existed. He showed he was capable of compassion. Even with doubt, viewers began to question his nature, especially when he risked his life to get the oxygen tanks. In episode 7, while he began to exhibit the kill or be killed mentality, he tried to leave with the girls. It appeared he wanted to move on before finally deciding to lead.

While I agree they could have essentially ended the last season with this episode, lets not forget how much character development occurred. You pointed out Carol, obviously. Rick is in a better mental state and his relationship with Carl is the best it's ever been. We've got more on Abraham than we had before, while he and his group is now a trusted part of the community. Finally, the six episodes outside of The Governors centric episodes gave us a stronger Hershel. His moral center, will, and medical training was a tremendous part of keeping people alive and in as good of spirits as they could possibly be in such a situation. Mostly, it gave the viewers a more fleshed out, beloved character, that unfortunately became a martyr.

Sometimes you have to unlearn what you've read in the comics and try to examine this as a first time viewer. In a show with a central theme of ethics, everything has a purpose on the screen for the greater good of the story.

We all ready knew he was capable of that in Woodbury. He was corrupted by power, but it originated from a wanting to do good. And his mental state at the time could easily attribute that to insanity too.

All that is fine, but you could have done that under any circumstance. Instead they had the story sit in one place only to end up doing what they should have done last season.

I'm not comparing it to the comic. And I've watched more than enough television to judge something objectively. And this was mostly filler until this point.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spidershamrock

Really glad the Governor is gone, looking forward to the future

Dstick88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't know how to vote here....all of the episodes dealing with the virus at the prison were just as boring as the farm episodes from season 2 but the Governor centric episodes were great and the mid season finale was amazing

this.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

This first few at the prison were slow and okay at best. The rest made up for that. I guess my guess would be "okay" and "really enjoying it" because I am anticipating what happens next, despite the slow beginning sapping my enthusiasm.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really happy tbh. The first couple of episodes were boring. It was slow and didnt step up from last year. If you have been watching the show since episode one then deaths like those two little girls father or some other random wouldnt bother you. We've seen everything from Season 4 before (i dont mean plot i mean the action, drama, ect has not changed). It hasnt been a step up from the past seasons and im not too happy. The last three episodes were AMAZING though.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I stopped watching after three episodes into season 4. Season 1 was pretty good. Season 2 was awful. Season 3 was just as awful. The first few episodes of season 4 did nothing to suggest it was remedying the deep, deep problems with this show.

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like the show but this season bored me at times.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogueshadow  Moderator

Best season and the bes episode thus far, beating out season 1 by a mile. The 2 Governor Centric episodes have pulled it down massively, they were not only poor, but inconsequential. Too far gone was an amazing episode, the bet thus far. In order I'd go something like this.

1. Season 4

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3 [The first half was good but the second aside from Clear & This sorrowful life was awful]

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

This could be the most boring show on tv right now. All they do is talk and then oh hey there's a zombie we are going to ignore. I'm really considering giving up on this show.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#24  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

loving this season, but the writing still has a lot of mistakes and plot holes.

TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By TheNameIsWayne
dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#26  Edited By dngn4774

@kincart said:

This could be the most boring show on tv right now. All they do is talk and then oh hey there's a zombie we are going to ignore. I'm really considering giving up on this show.

If that's the case why did you stay after season 2? We all knew a couple of seasons back that there was going to be way more drama than action on this show. Complaining about it now sounds redundant.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The show has been great all the way threw, idk if the complaints are coming from people who prefer the comic over the show, but I don't understand them. If anything I would blame AMC for cutting TWD's budget after S1, the zombies looked amazing, and now they look like people painted to look like zombies.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched mid season finale. I'm now emotionally drained. But I'm also concerned with so many people being separated in the battle that there might be too many plot threads to successfully juggle. I'm worried about another Andrea catastrophe where they focus on characters I could care less about instead of the far more interesting dynamics of the core group as they deal with this world they live in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first question I can't answer, because I don't watch The Walking Dead.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@xwraith said:

This is the first question I can't answer, because I don't watch The Walking Dead.

watch it then

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By patrat18

Last nights episode. Coarlll Coarllllll!

jasonakaslv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This season of the Walking dead has moved the show up in rank for me. The 1st season was perfect comic interpretation and the second season was extremely slow and almost boring at points. The 3rd season improved the show greatly and didn't hit us over the head with non-stop action it was a good mix. This season has maintained a good balance as well and loved the two episodes dedicated to the Governor. The character development has improved causing people to attach themselves I was a bit bummed when Herschel died. I'm excited to see the improvement that the actor for Carl has made in the next few episodes and a strong ending to this season.

A_Dork_Defiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every single protagonist/reoccurring character is going to get killed off sooner or later by the show's writers - so what's the point in emotionally investing yourself in any of them?

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love this show. I enjoy the slower episodes where he have good interactions with the characters, building up their histories, relationships, etc. I love the big blow-out action scenes (whether it be with zombies or other humans). I am stunned, shocked, and/or saddened when we lose characters (the good guys or the bad guys). I can't grasp why people like to moan about series. If they now bore you, then move on to something else. In this modern world there are hundreds of TV shows that could replace the ones you don't like. Someone above said something about too many plot holes, but then didn't elaborate a whit. I dare any of you to try writing a TV show with a huge cast of diverse characters and make it pleasing and appealing to all the watch it. It has got to be doing something right with its massive ratings. For the past couple of years, I've looked forward to Sunday nights when TWD is on and then eagerly anticipate it when it's off air.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I gave up on the show during Season 3 and regret nothing.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

Basically, so I voted for "it's okay." I know AMC has to make their money but they're stretching out story lines way to far, imo. That being said, I don't know what portion of rights Kirkman let them buy so am not sure of how much access to the source material they have. Clearly, they have a bit of creative leeway and this could also influence the show's pacing. I'll still watch it every week as having AMC is almost the only perk of our cable package, but I find myself liking the show or rather its pacing, less and less.