Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Most Promising Publisher of 2014

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Most Promising Publisher of 2014 (288 votes)

Dark Horse Comics 1%
DC Comics 27%
Dynamite Entertainment 1%
IDW Publishing 2%
Image 27%
Marvel 27%
Valiant 15%
Other (Specify below) 1%

We're just about a month into 2014 and various publishers have already revealed some of their big plans for the year. Marvel's releasing dozens of new comics; DC has given us a glimpse of their future via April solicits; Dynamite has made several cool announcements; IDW is creating an X-Files crossover; Dark Horse is bringing back the Alien and Predator franchises; Valiant's crafting a big story for X-O Manowar and doing a Bloodshot and Archer & Armstrong crossover; and Image has announced a number of brand new creator-owned comics. So yeah, it goes without saying there's A LOT of appealing announcements for us comic fans. However, this week, we want to know which publisher has the strongest grip on your interest. So, which will it be, Viners?

Voting will stay open until Thursday morning (ET). Check the homepage on that day to see which publisher took the prize and why. If you get your elaboration on and make an awesome post, we just may highlight it in Thursday's article! See you then, Viners.

• 
Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i voted marvel, but image is definitely my #2 choice. black science, saga, walking dead, deadly class... good stuff.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By Strider1992

Image and Valiant but i'm voting Image simply because they have been knocking out of the park recently.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC

bygranddesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted for Valiant. I've been a huge fan since the relaunch and the universe gets more and more exciting each month. They are slowly building an amazing superhero universe. This is a great time to start getting into them with Unity just released and Armor Hunters on the horizon. Shadowman End Times mini-series should be a great starting point for new fans. Bloodshot and HARD Corp VS. Archer and Armstrong looks like an amazing crossover. Josh Dysart's Harbinger is consistently great read every month. Other titles that they haven't gotten to yet like Rai, Timewalker and Ninjak could be on the schedule for release this year also. It's an exciting time to start reading Valiant.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DC

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Voted Valiant, but Image is a great choice as well.

I am looking forward to Rise of the Seven Seas this year in DC though. And Peter returning of course.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By VoodooPenguin

@silverjuggernaut said:

Marvel is doing some greate stuff. They are starting to focus a lot in the cosmic area. Silver surfer is getting his own series. I'm eally likeing all the avengers titles mostly new avengers and avengers A.I. fantastic four is awsome. Inhumans is awsome. The invaders looks awsome. I'm enjoying galactus in the ultimate universe. I'm enjoying captain america. Marvel is awsome awsome awsome.

I just don't think Mike Allred is right for Silver Surfer. Don't get me wrong, he's a great artist and I loved FF but I can't see his art on a more cosmic title like Silver Surfer. You need something more serious and detailed than what he brings to the table. Chris Samnee is one of my favorite artists ever, I love what he's done on Daredevil but for the same reasons, I don't think he'd be right for Silver Surfer (Issue 30 with him was great, but not a solo title).

I can see that, but if they are going to have a lot of strange aliens and a variety of different planets, he could do some amazing things with a combination of coloring and perspective.

Phoenix8008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Phoenix8008

I gotta go with Valiant! It's the only thing I read anymore. Image is great for their creator owned stuff, but I'm into comics for the shared universe superhero type thing. Marvel & DC can't tell original stories anymore, so they are left with just rebooting with new #1's over and over. Valiant has great characters and their focus on storytelling and organic growth is a breath of fresh air. I'm impressed with their slow and steady growth, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for 2014!

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Transformers1024
Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Neon_Jackal

I'm a Marvel fanboy, but I had to give it to Image.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By lifeofvibe

Wooh image and Dc in a tie I read image but my fave is dc

Vengence007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone tell me what is interesting about Marvel these days? Personally I haven't read anything recently because nothing looked even remotely interesting.

Valiant got my vote, because Unity, X-O Manowar and Archer and Armstrong being consistently awesome are getting me excited for the first time since Saga and the Walking dead. The evolving interconnected Valiant Universe is top notch, something I don't see with DC's fragmentation. Image has to get an easy second due to the awesome new books that it's been churning out the last year. Marvel lost me after the last Ghost Rider and completely turned me off with the previews for the next, I'm sick of relaunches that suck. I just can't seem to bring myself to try anything from them, especially when there are such great things coming out of Valiant and Image.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

giving it to image since there is no love for zenescope which is publishing its first 100th issue, doing another great event late spring early summer and the conclusion to such series as quest, oz and realm nights

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Image for me.With the announcement of all of those new and amazing titles they are getting my hopes pretty high.

PDBL77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Image is putting out all the best books right now

infinityjudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By infinityjudge

@g_money_christmas: did you read the Silver Surfer short story in All-New Marvel Now Point One? That's a good indicator of the style, he's always been Kirby-esque so a perfect match for strange space tales. Then again I think Allred is awesome whatever he does so bit biased!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC for life.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Valiant gets my vote.

jkingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been reading comics for over 25 years, mostly Marvel and DC, but I can't stand those companies anymore, all the gimmicks, the relaunches, the crossover events...ugh. Now I dropped all Marvel and DC books, because I have Valiant, a company that puts out incredible stories month after month, characters that I actually care about. so Valiant gets my vote!

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#70  Edited By nappystr8

....How is DC actually winning this? They should be darn near last place. I'm giving this to Marvel, because despite all of their meaningless relaunches, they also have a bunch of legitimate new #1's on the way that all look spectacular. The return of the She-Hulk solo, a Magneto solo, All-New Invaders, Iron Patriot, and Warren Ellis on Moon Knight, they are on fire!

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....How is DC actually winning this? They should be darn near last place. I'm giving this to Marvel, because despite all of their meaningless relaunches, they also have a bunch of legitimate new #1's on the way that all look spectacular. The return of the She-Hulk solo, a Magneto solo, All-New Invaders, Iron Patriot, and Warren Ellis on Moon Knight, they are on fire!

There is still a day of voting left; And to answer your question, I'd say it's because people are looking forward to DC titles? With DC, Marvel and Image all fairly close, I don't see why it is an issue.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I voted for Marvel, but I do think what Image and Dark Horse are doing deserved to be recognized a lot more than they are. I actually give props to this site for talking about other Image books other than the ones Kirkman writes.

I hate to say this, but DC will win this poll solely on Batman Eternal, problem is it takes a lot of skilled editors to make a weekly series work and I do not think DC has them right now. When 52 came out Whacker held that book together and it was great. The countdown was the book Didio wanted and it's sub par at best, So excuse me if I have little faith that there new weekly titles will work with the editorial staff they have currently.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grandharrier: I looked through the first three month solicitations and barely saw anything besides normal issues. The only big thing that I know of that's coming out is Batman Eternal, but I don't really stay up to date with DC. What else is there coming out?

Thaxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

• Valiant
  • IDW
  • DC
  • Marvel
  • Zenescope
  • Aspen

Marvel would be be closer to the top if not for all the rebooting same for DC. And what's with all the rebooting?