Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Batman Story

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: Favorite Batman Story (463 votes)

A Death in the Family 1%
A Lonely Place of Dying 0%
Arkham Asylum 2%
Batman and Son 1%
Batman Reborn 2%
Batman R.I.P. 6%
Born to Kill 0%
Bruce Wayne: Murderer? 0%
Court of Owls 10%
Death of the Family 4%
Gates of Gotham 0%
Gotham by Gaslight 0%
Heart of Hush 0%
Hush 15%
Knightfall 5%
Mad Love 0%
No Man's Land 4%
The Black Glove 0%
The Black Mirror 4%
The Dark Knight Returns 9%
The Killing Joke 11%
The Long Halloween 8%
Tower of Babel 1%
Under the Red Hood 6%
Year One 8%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3%

DC's legendary character has been at the center of countless excellent stories. Over the years, dozens upon dozens of talented writers and artists have spent some time with the Dark Knight, producing superb tales which are widely loved and often considered classics.

There's always so much to recommend when it comes to Batman's "must read" stories, but this week, we want to know which one is your personal favorite and why. We have quite a few on the list, but it's unrealistic to think we could get everything. So, in the event your top read isn't on the poll, vote "Other" and be sure to specify what it is in your post.

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET). Once the poll is locked, a new article will go live with the results and more. If you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and get your elaboration on. Tell us why a certain story is so special to you and maybe this will motivate one of your fellow Viners to give the book a read. Check the homepage Thursday to see the results and more!

• 
Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Black Mirror-Read it again two weeks ago.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham series ftw!

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By feedonatreefrog

Long Halloween

Death of the Family

I'm surprised to see Hush doing this well.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By JamDamage

@clemj:

exactly. I went with DKR before Killing Joke, but there are a LOT of runner ups.

Ama_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Ama_Sama

Hush takes the cake for me... Year One, notably, was a close call as was Death of the Family.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How is tower of babel not getting more votes? oh and lonely place of dying is now sold as part of a death in the family.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, The Killing Joke.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

First half of TDKR

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've only read The killing joke,Long Halloween,Hush,The black mirror,and all the New52 mainline batman stories listed above. And Dark Victory,which I personally like more than the long halloween,seriously? Why is it not here? So good. I'll vote for one that's listed, hey @Katzman,maybe a favorite nightwing story soon? Think about it, at least.

Rick_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man where is the love for Batman Reborn

jimlforeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Court of Owls and the Black Mirror. I really think they are great Batman stories. Of all time though, I really like Knightfall, Killing Joke, Hush and Arkham Asylum.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This story from Detective #500. Batman stops Bruce Wayne's parents murder on a parallel earth. Almost 40 years old, and still fresh in my mind.
This story from Detective #500. Batman stops Bruce Wayne's parents murder on a parallel earth. Almost 40 years old, and still fresh in my mind.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I've only read The killing joke,Long Halloween,Hush,The black mirror,and all the New52 mainline batman stories listed above. And Dark Victory,which I personally like more than the long halloween,seriously? Why is it not here? So good. I'll vote for one that's listed, hey @Katzman,maybe a favorite nightwing story soon? Think about it, at least.

Sure, we can use that sometime down the road!

The_Nephilim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

voted Year One and regretted it instantly, Hush is my number 1

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 k4tzm4n  Moderator

voted Year One and regretted it instantly, Hush is my number 1

To be fair, it's not like Hush needs the vote right now ;)

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By DigitalShooter9

The dark knight returns. It is the story that heightened the seriousness of the batman story lines.

The_Nephilim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: yeah i think that was my reason for choosing year one felt like it needed more representation!

Maxpower00044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't vote for Year One Or DKR because they are no brainers. I voted Court of Owls, but it was a hard vote. I could have easily voted for Batman & Robin: Reborn (or any of Grant's run), TKJ, the Man Who Laughs, or Gotham by Gaslight. I wanted to give Snyder and Capullo the love this time.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: That's where I disagree. Court of Owls absolutely deserves a place here. It is a fantastic story right up there with the all-time greats of Batman.

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

How is Hush winning. '-_-

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to get this, sounds interesting.

Darkseid_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Darkseid_Prime
No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@omnicrono: The story is good and entertaining but if you are a true Batman fan you would right away notice that the story isn't original at all.It follows up the idea Morrison had with Black Glove.A secret organization that wants to destroy Batman.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Gracetrack

@tdk_1997 said:

@omnicrono: The story is good and entertaining but if you are a true Batman fan you would right away notice that the story isn't original at all.It follows up the idea Morrison had with Black Glove.A secret organization that wants to destroy Batman.

Sigh... Not this again.

Hate to break it to you, but there isn't a story out there today that is truly original anymore. Even Morrison's Black Glove and other stories borrow elements from other works of literature. In fact, every comic book story borrows from another story (or multiple stories) in some way, shape, or form. So long as the writer isn't shamelessly plagiarizing another person's work (and Snyder has not) then it's ultimately how the story is told that is most important.

My point: So what if it follows up on one of Morrison's ideas! If they were good ideas, why not use them and adapt them into something uniquely your own? And that is what Snyder, to some extent, has done with Court of Owls.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Sigh... Not this again.

Hate to break it to you, but there isn't a story out there today that is truly original anymore. Even Morrison's Black Glove and other stories borrow elements from other works of literature. In fact, every comic book story borrows from another story (or multiple stories) in some way, shape, or form. So long as the writer isn't shamelessly plagiarizing another person's work (and Snyder has not) then it's ultimately how the story is told that is most important.

My point: So what if it follows up on one of Morrison's ideas! If they were good ideas, why not use them and adapt them into something uniquely your own? And that is what Snyder, to some extent, has done with Court of Owls.

The problem I have with the 'originality' of Court of Owls is not that it had some things that were like the Black Glove but what SNyder said for the story and continues to say about each one of his Batman stories - ''It's something great that you haven't seen before!''

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#177  Edited By MannEffest

Hush for me. While I admit it's not the BEST Batman story, it's by far my favorite. Jim Lee's amazing art and Jeph Loeb's shock value story set this apart from all others. They brought together one of the largest collection of Batman's rogue gallery that would make any Batman fan squeal with delight. Plus we get an incredibly satisfying crescendo with Batman and Catwoman's relationship that could not have come sooner!

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Gracetrack

@tdk_1997: And for the most part, Snyder was right on. We haven't seen anything quite like Court of Owls. It had many similarities to Morrison's Black Glove RIP arc, for sure. But Court of Owls was different enough, and added enough of Snyder's own unique flavor and style, to set it apart.

That's why so many people love it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: There can always be new characters created that we have never seen and them being all original and unique but it is about the story they are in.He put his unique flavor in the story so you can recognize it easily but the basic idea of the story is something I can't get past by.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked them both, but liked "Court of Owls" a little better, on first reading, as it was less convoluted. However, when I learned there really was an old Batman of Zur-en-ar (sp?) story and such, I had to give GM a lot of credit. That was some truly unique spin on a Bat-story.

C_Fanslow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can believe The Cult isn't listed...jk

Am I old because I voted Killing Joke? and not Year One?

Or I'm old and I voted Killing Joke?

TOASTme69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted HUSH. Tho I am a tad bias because it was my first Comic and it was far more complex then I was expecting. Became in instant fan after reading this, that says a lot the story line in my opinion. I'm crazy picky and get bored easy. This kept my attention and kept me guessing. Classic Batman Awesomeness.

Techherofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Techherofan

Too many great story arc but I voted No Man's Land.It showed each and every character at their best when everything around them was at it's worst.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Long Halloween has not held up in my most recent reread....a close-call between Arkham Asylum and Killing Joke for me, but in the end I went with the latter.