• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (50950 posts) 1 year, 24 days ago

Poll: Comic Book Question of the Week: Scariest Marvel/DC Character (467 votes)

Abomination 0%
Batman 2%
Carnage 15%
Cheetah 0%
Crossbones 0%
Darkseid 2%
Dark Phoenix 2%
Gorilla Grodd 1%
Green Goblin 1%
Joker 23%
Killer Croc 1%
King Shark 0%
Lady Deathstrike 0%
Mephisto 1%
MODOK 1%
Parallax 3%
Professor Pyg 6%
Punisher 1%
Red Skull 1%
Sabretooth 1%
Scarecrow 11%
Sinestro 1%
Solomon Grundy 1%
Thanos 1%
Venom 7%
Wolverine 1%
Zsasz 5%
Ghost Rider 2%
Atrocitus 1%
Other (Specify Below) 7%

Seeing as it's Halloween this week, it could be fun to think about the most frightening and scream-inducing characters Marvel and DC has to offer. Who would make you pee your pants if you ever bumped into them in a dark alley? Is it an individual would could turn you into dust with the blink of an eye, or is there something far more fearsome about street level characters who subject their enemies to all kinds of horrors? We have quite a few on the list, but it's absurd to think we'd get every scary creature from both companies. So, in the event the person you have in mind isn't on the list, vote "other" and tell us who you're thinking about.

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET). Once the poll is locked, a new article will go live with the results and more. If you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and get your elaboration on. Why'd you vote for a certain character and what exactly makes them so scary? Do any specific examples immediately jump to mind? Check the homepage Thursday to see the results and more!

#1 Edited by Omnicrono (2003 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Deathstrike always creeped me out with her abnormally long fingers.

#2 Edited by Jake Fury (19144 posts) - - Show Bio

Female: Alex Merkel!

Male: Arcane

#3 Posted by TheMantisShrimp (280 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always creeped out when I see the panel of Professor Pig dancing around Damian tied to a chair. Then he takes his shirt off and things escalate to a whole new level of weird.

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Carnage

#5 Posted by Iron_Turtle (584 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Gordon Jr.

#6 Edited by SadiaVicious (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Carnage ftw

#7 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr Destiny, just read Sandman vol 1 and you'll know why.

#8 Edited by timelord (806 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow if I met him I'd be a crying mess on the floor.

#9 Posted by RustyRoy (13538 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Joker.

#10 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Carnage, because he himself is very freaky and I hate gore so that just makes it worse.

But I think Scarecrow would be better at inflicting fear, since it's part of his abilities

#11 Edited by Shallbecomeabattoo (368 posts) - - Show Bio

joker! because he is like a real life serial killer. guys like him exist. thats scary.

#12 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker's unpredictability is what would scare me the most. Also in a list full of villains why are Batman and Wolverine included in this list? One has no reason to be scared of them unless you're a criminal.

#14 Posted by cgarza12 (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow, because he makes you live your worst fears.

#15 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Damit, I meant to vote for Carnage! Arrrrggghhhh!

#16 Posted by CaseyJustice (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Venom, and I'm talkin' about when Venom was Venom! Carnage is a nutjob murderer, but Venom was a nutjob murderer who was just out to toy with Peter before killing everyone he cared about. Also, that tongue... *shiver*

Honorable mention to Ultron. His frozen face combined with his cold, mechanical distain for life always scared me.

#17 Edited by dcguy (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, come on where is Anti-Monitor .

#18 Edited by impossibilly (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I was looking for Nekron. Dude freaks me out.

#19 Posted by Black_Thought (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Joker because of scenes like this from Batman R.I.P. DC has altered him a bit over the years but he's always remained crazy and hell and very unpredictable. One minute he can be having a normal conversation with you but who knows what he's really thinking. You might walk away alive and then you may not.

And he's got so many gruesome ways to kill you. Dying from Laughing to death, Shot in the face with acid, electrified by a "joke" hand buzzer, or simply just a gunshot to the head.

He has an extremely high pain tolerance so that the average person can't even fight the guy. And he plots out some of the most masterminded plans that even Batman, one of the world's greatest detectives has a hard time figuring him out. They guy is terrifying.

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (13538 posts) - - Show Bio

@dcguy said:

He's in Other

#21 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Carnage and Venom aren't scary to me. They just remind me of the everything is extreme era.
Scarecrow, Joker for obvious reasons. Modok looks scary, and whenever Darkseid shows up I get a little nervous, because whenever he's written properly anyone is fair game.

#22 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

The last incarnation of the Joker scared the beejesus out of me, especially the part at the police dept.

#23 Posted by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

My fears are pretty much grounded in reality, so Mr Pyg gets my vote. I would shit my pants if I ever crossed paths with somebody like him.

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18300 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for abomination. While in theory i'm not scared of any of these characters, there are some of which I would be scared if I meet them in real life. Most characters like thanos while powerful, don't look scary where as Joker and the others like him look creepy, but again I reassure myself they are at least beatable because to some degree they are more human. Abomination is something That can't be dealt with and if i see him emerging from a dark corner i'll die on the spot.

#25 Edited by joaoanjos (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on. Parallax is fear itself, no one should be scarier than him.

#26 Posted by dondave (38780 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos

#27 Posted by JoeC_Mommy (195 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker has been drawn and written as such a strange and terrible and unpredictable psychopath for more than two decades. He makes my skin crawl.

#28 Edited by redhood21 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always creeped out when I see the panel of Professor Pig dancing around Damian tied to a chair. Then he takes his shirt off and things escalate to a whole new level of weird.

the mix of bile and laughter at that is why i voted for him

#29 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Carnage, that guy is a psychopath

#30 Posted by krspaceT (1507 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd take my chances talking down the others, and for those who are psycopaths, I fear Carnage as the greatest threat to my life

#31 Posted by Deadpool_9 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for other with James Gordon Jr in mind. After reading The Black Mirror I think he is the most disturbing villain mainly because he is more realistic. There are actually psychos out there like him.

#32 Edited by TheCannon (19212 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Killer Croc. Characters like Joker, Scarecrow, & others are probably scarier, but I've just always been terrified of Croc (except on Batman: TAS).

Also, why are Batman & Wolverine on the list?

#33 Posted by TheCannon (19212 posts) - - Show Bio

Darn it, I just noticed Zsasz was on the list. He'd be the first person I'd vote for and is the only person who should win this thing (that just just creeps me out, and not in a good way). Oh well, too late now.

#34 Edited by jrjoanes (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I chose Joker but I wanna be more specific. The new 52 Joker scares the shit out of me.

#35 Posted by dcguy (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@dcguy said:

He's in Other

I know but Other never wins :)

#36 Posted by Wilbertus (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I had to go with Scarecrow. It's in the name...

I would like to mention Professor Pyg as a close second.

#37 Edited by MaccyD (4905 posts) - - Show Bio

Humanity's greatest fear is the unknown. Hence why we fear ghosts, ghouls and demons, we don't know what they are, what they want and how to stop them. So what happens when humans discover they're in a universe full of gods who could swat them like flies? Beings whose only thought is hunger, hunger for your planet and you are but a speck? Least your life is significant to a psychopath, to this unstoppable being, you are what humans feel for cows when at McDonald's and the one thing humans fear most is being forgotten.

That's all I got, so VOTE GALACTUS!!! :P

#38 Edited by RustyRoy (13538 posts) - - Show Bio

@dcguy said:

@rustyroy said:

@dcguy said:

He's in Other

I know but Other never wins :)

It did win once.

#39 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Zombies in general. Deeply unsettling from an artistic and intellectual perspective.

#40 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22718 posts) - - Show Bio

joker! because he is like a real life serial killer. guys like him exist. thats scary.

no they dont. I have yet to hear of a real life clown villain. if you what creepy and more realistic: Mr. Zsasz is THEE answer. He himself is entirely possible and freaky as crap.

Darn it, I just noticed Zsasz was on the list. He'd be the first person I'd vote for and is the only person who should win this thing (that just just creeps me out, and not in a good way). Oh well, too late now.

Yup, I voted for him, im curious who you voted? please don't say Joker!

#41 Posted by richardjohngrayson (444 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker.

#42 Edited by flazam (2532 posts) - - Show Bio

Modok lol

#43 Edited by CrashBang (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote anything that Grant Morrison writes. Joker in RIP and Arkham Asylum is scary as hell, but in the end I went with Professor Pyg. He's more unsettling and creepy than scary and, in my opinion, that's worse.

#44 Posted by jwalser3 (5255 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow, duh. He's all about fear, even if you're not afraid of him, he'll make you...

#45 Posted by TheCannon (19212 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecannon said:

Yup, I voted for him, im curious who you voted? please don't say Joker!

I voted Killer Croc.

#46 Edited by fil123 (585 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker wins this

Arkham Asylum: a strange place on a strange earth joker and batman RIP's jokers are down right creepy

grant morrison wrote a great joker.

#48 Edited by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

There's always been something chilling about Carnage in particular.

Never really found the Joker scary.

#49 Posted by Admiral_IronBeast (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Humanity's greatest fear is the unknown. Hence why we fear ghosts, ghouls and demons, we don't know what they are, what they want and how to stop them. So what happens when humans discover they're in a universe full of gods who could swat them like flies?Beings whose only thought is hunger, hunger for your planet and you are but a speck? Least your life is significant to a psychopath, to this unstoppable being you are what humans feel for cows when at McDonald's and the one thing humans fear most is being forgotten.

That's all I got, so VOTE GALACTUS!!! :P

I agree completely! GALACTUS for the win!!

#50 Edited by The Stegman (25488 posts) - - Show Bio