Comic Book Newbie Looking for some advice.

corey1003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By corey1003

Me and my girl decided we would start getting comics together. We both always loved batman and when I found out about the New 52 I immediately started hunting them down. I managed to get caught up but now I've got mild comic book fever but have no idea where to turn. I'm looking for some good stuff with good story and it doesn't necessarily need to be like batman. However I'm not looking for something with 100+ issues. Its gotta be stuff that hasn't been out all that long or has something like a "New 52" deal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@corey1003:

First off your damn lucky to have a gf who is into comics lol. And do you read digitally or books? And new 52 batman is good. Also I'd recomend new 52 aquaman. Geoff Johns green lantern run starting with rebirth ( its kinda long but its very good)

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I'd recommend the new Green Hornet series. So far, so good. Only two issues in.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corey1003:

oh also check out batman hush. THat is a fantastic batman graphic novel. One of the best

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Me and my girl decided we would start getting comics together. We both always loved batman and when I found out about the New 52 I immediately started hunting them down. I managed to get caught up but now I've got mild comic book fever but have no idea where to turn. I'm looking for some good stuff with good story and it doesn't necessarily need to be like batman. However I'm not looking for something with 100+ issues. Its gotta be stuff that hasn't been out all that long or has something like a "New 52" deal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bro...I got you. I just started reading about 3 months ago. and youre right it is addictive. so heres my advice. I made the mistake of buying a ton of TPB's to read. all the stories everyone will advise like hush, grant morrriosons batman & robin, all star super man, superman for tomorrow etc. long story short I spent about $350 on those books and I still have to get caught up on the current continuity. so my advice is to get caught up on the stuff that's coming out now so you wont be so behind on the stories. lets say you want to read these titles:

Batman

Green Lantern

Superman

Superman Unchained

Green Lantern Corps

Wonder Woman

Red Hood

Aquaman

Deadpool

Thor

Superior Spiderman

and

Xmen.

(trust me that sounds like a lot...but its addicting as hell man. I started off only wanting superman and batman)

if youre like me and I have a $200 per month comic budget. it may take you two months to get completely caught up. but then after that youll be spending $40 a month to pick up every issue that comes out as they come out and still have cash left over to read those awesome stories everyone is telling you about. hope this helps!!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sog7dc said:

Batman

Green Lantern

Superman

Superman Unchained

Green Lantern Corps

Wonder Woman

Red Hood

Aquaman

Deadpool

Thor

Superior Spiderman

and

Xmen.

Basically this, but also look into Valiant comics. In my opinion they are better than most Marvel/DC books and they are the best, consistently good comics out there. The titles they have include the following:

• X-O Manowar
  • Bloodshot
  • Harbinger
  • Archer & Armstrong
  • Shadowman
  • Quantum & Woody (comes out this month I think)
  • Eternal Warrior (comes out in September)
martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

Whoa!! Thats a lot lol. I buy 25 $ amazon gift cards for my kindle maybe every two weeks haha. And you are right very addicting

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

X-O Manowar (13 issues to date)

Green Arrow (23 issues - but it only started being readable with issue 17)

Star Wars by Brian Wood (6 issues with a TPB collecting them out next week)

IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (23 issues, but a lot of spin-off books)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

First off, welcome to comics!

From the sound of it, you're looking for the more recent stories. I recommend that you buy them in trades (books collecting single issues) as opposed to single issues, since it's more affordable and you get the whole package. If you haven't already, get Batman Vol. 1 Court of Owls, and Vol. 2 The Night of Owls. Both are the first volumes in the New 52 Batman, and fantastic. The third one, Death of the Family, is coming out soon (which features the New 52 return of the Joker!).

Other New 52 titles I would recommend include Aquaman and Justice League. Aquaman has been consistently good, and Aquaman is easily the breakout character of the New 52. His new title has made him cool again, and the series has gorgeous art as well. It starts with Vol. 1 The Trench, and goes on to Vol. 2 The Others. As for Justice League, I will say straight-up that the story is less-than-perfect. It's not bad, but not mind-blowing either. That being said, JL has some top-notch art, and the story really improves during the third volume. It starts with Vol. 1 Origin, goes on to Vol. 2 The Villain's Journey, and the third volume is going to be released soon. I have also heard good things about Flash and Swamp Thing, so you can check those out too.

If you're interested in Marvel, they currently have a new line called 'Marvel NOW'. It's not a reboot like DC's New 52, but it is a new wave of comics. If you are, check out Uncanny Avengers Vol. 1 The Red Shadow, and Indestructible Hulk Vol. 1 Agent of SHIELD. The former features the latest Avengers team (made up of Avengers and mutants) going against the Red Skull. The latter has Bruce Banner working for SHIELD and beating up bad-guys. Marvel NOW also has some other great books like New Avengers and All-New X-Men, but I'm afraid they might not be too new-reader-friendly.

And if you really want to broaden your horizons, try out comics from other publishers. Hellboy from Dark Horse is a great one. All of his comics are collected in trade, and starts with Vol. 1 Seed of Destruction. Valiant is another great publisher, and they just had a new reboot. Books like Shadowman, Bloodshot, and X-O Manowar are all fantastic for new readers and real cheap. Shadowman is a voodoo hero who fights the undead, Bloodshot is a government killer, and Manowar is a Visigoth warrior wearing an alien armor and fighting ninjas!

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me if you need more recommendations.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By SOG7dc

@sagejonathan:

see I haven't tried valiant yet. Im trying to get caught up on my pull list:

Teen Titans

Red Hood And The Outlaws

WonderWoman

Justice League

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Flash

DareDevil

American Vampire (READ AMERICAN VAMPIRE!!!!!!!)

XMen

Aquaman

and JLA

then I was gonna move on to other Vertigo books and some Valiant as well but getting caught up with my pull list is my main priority when it comes to comics

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 owie  Moderator

Saga is a great series that has only been out for 12 issues and is now on a short break. The first 6 have been collected and reprinted, and the second six will be soon. It's something that has more of an appeal to women than a lot of other comics (and also to guys) and is one of the best comics I've read in years.

Daredevil's current series is fairly new, around 20 issues. It's really good writing and art. Right now it's getting to a really complex part, but if you started at the beginning it would all make sense.

Guardians of the Galaxy is only on issue 3.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is around number 22, but it's just starting a new arc as of it's last issue, and I think you could jump on easily.

corey1003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I might start picking up the Saga stuff and the New Green Arrow. Also The New Thor God of Thunder looks good.