Comic Book Men: douchebags!

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blackdog2009

Ok ok I guess the title gives it away. I think that show Comic book men is a condescending, insulting, negative show portraying comic book store owners as scavenging douchebags. I hate the cast and I hate that Kevin Smith comes across as one of them. Maybe it's just me... how do you guys perceive the show?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I have no respect for Kevin Smith. The guy ruined Black Cat for me, and Clerks was boring as hell.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

The only reason why I watch is because I like seeing the things brought in.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like the show. The "jerk" card gets thrown around way too much on this site imo.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Mike and Ming are cool. Brian and Walt are jerkish douchebags who just piss me off.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike and Ming are cool. Brian and Walt are jerkish douchebags who just piss me off.

Care to elaborate on that? They're all just friends goofing around with each other

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ccraft

I watched a few episodes, then realized they're was nothing interesting about comic clerks.

@crazyscarecrow said:

The only reason why I watch is because I like seeing the things brought in. The guys come off as total jerks.

me too.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

Care to elaborate on that? They're all just friends goofing around with each other

Brian is just a all around jerk, he is not a comic fan, and all he does is insult customers.

Walt is a dick, because he rips customers off even when he says it should be double or whatever. plus when he backed out of getting a tattoo or wearing underroos. being an ass IMO.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Brian is just a all around jerk, he is not a comic fan, and all he does is insult customers.

Walt is a dick, because he rips customers off even when he says it should be double or whatever. plus when he backed out of getting a tattoo or wearing underroos. being an ass IMO.

Walt has too charge those prices, it's how retail works. At least he has the decency to warn people they're being scammed and the others didn't have to do those things lol.

I get your points with Brian though

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

@peppeyhare said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Walt has too charge those prices, it's how retail works. At least he has the decency to warn people they're being scammed and the others didn't have to do those things lol.

there has been times were Walt ripped of customers, then afterwards said he should have payed more.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@peppeyhare said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@peppeyhare said:

@allstarsuperman said:

there has been times were Walt ripped of customers, then afterwards said he should have payed more.

dude he's running a business....he has to try and get the best price that he can for things because he has to be able to mark them up from what he paid so that the store can make a profit....the customers going in there to sell things are the dumb ones...if you're going to sell something then the dumbest place to go is to go through a third party...you're better off selling your items on ebay or something like that

Avatar image for theincrediblecj10
theincrediblecj10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude I thoroughly love the show.. I don't find any of them as douche bags, I just see them as people trying to run a business, like that was their jobs before they had a TV show so I don't know what the big deal is.. I heard they are really nice when you go into the store as well as long as you aren't all up in there faces about the show and what not.. You have your opinion and some other people have those same views. I personally love that show but I understand where you are coming from.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I really like the show. They all seem cool to me, I've never gotten a douche-vibe.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Its Pawn Stars of Comics. I did not like Kevin smith when he acted like a douche at the Fan Expo. I lost all respect for him though I wish him good health.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Everytime they bring up interesting facts about characters, Kevin Smith and the other fatty crack cheap jokes about customers or the heroes...the other three are good. Its just those fat ones that are jerks.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everytime they bring up interesting facts about characters, Kevin Smith and the other fatty crack cheap jokes about customers or the heroes...the other three are good. Its just those fat ones that are jerks.

Lol,I also hate fat people. LOL

GhostWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman You know how retail works, right? Or running a business that allows trade-ins even? I'm surprised they even pay them cash, a majority of comic shops or collectible shops I've been in only offer in-store credit on trades. Though, he's paying the prices he should be paying to keep his business afloat. If he gave everyone a great deal and payed, say, $550 for something that he could retail for $600, he'll pretty much make nothing and be out of business extremely quick.

He has to pay them half the retail price or lower.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By M3th

I don't like tHe sHow it's basically Pawn Stars but ComicBooks and I dislike seeing tHem rip off customers. I understand its a business but it annoys me. It reminds me of my younger days, wHen I'd used to try to trade my old comics. I would totally get ripped off.

I tHougHt I did good until one day I Heard the owner talk about me, it infuriated me. Recently I Had Hardcover trade unopened, clean as Hell and I went in wanting store credit. WHat does He tell me my $25 trade will get me? 5 bucks store credit. I was looking for 15 and I'd settle for 10 even but 5 bucks.

I like seeing wHat tHey bring in but tHe sHow isn't all tHat amazing for me.

-ABstract4$$#073-

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

I used to think Walt was a douchebag, but then I understood-he's JUST DOING HIS JOB. He tries to buy for less and sell for more because that's his living, that's his job, like any other guy who works at a retailer store would try to do. Bryan is funny as hell, Ming is cool, and Mike is, well... Mike. We don't see much of the guy like we do the others but he's a cool guy as well. Something tells me that out of all the guys who work there (Kevin included), Mike is the one who REALLY knows his sh!t about Comics. Kevin is a guy I have a lot of respect to, especially after watching some of his movies (Dogma being one of my favorite movies ever).

They're all (except for Bryan, lol) very nice to the costumers. They always say hello and are always friendly whenever people come in, and believe me that shouldn't be taken for granted. Even Bryan who might be taken for a douche at times never really tries to insult anyone. It's just his type of humor, we all have that friend with that type of humor, I don't think it should be taken as him being a douchebag.

And Cryptozoic Man was good as well.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive never heard of this show. :(

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Kevin is mean to himself and very self deprecating so shooting a few barbs at other's is understandable due to his personality. It's how I think he copes with not being the best at any one thing actually. He writes. But isn't the BEST writer. He Directs. But was never the BEST director. Does comics not the BEST reads. Plus he is a big guy, whose balding and was never athletic. Which I feel may have solidified his choice of Film and Writting. I mean its like, "I hate sports, but I love Movies, and no way do I wanna be a Lawyer. Screw it I'm doing film."

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Never seen it. I don't watch reality TV. It rots your brain.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dud317

@allstarsuperman: I'm not arguing your point that they do rip on a lot of people, but if I'm not mistaken, Walt and Brian stated recently that Brian used to run the shop (when a guy came in with Marvel cards). Pretty sure Walt said he bought the shop from Brian, so I wouldn't say he's not a comic fan.

As far as insults go, Ming need to stand up for himself and learn to jab back at them. They just continue to rip on him and he does nothing about it.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317 said:

@allstarsuperman: I'm not arguing your point that they do rip on a lot of people, but if I'm not mistaken, Walt and Brian stated recently that Brian used to run the shop (when a guy came in with Marvel cards). Pretty sure Walt said he bought the shop from Brian, so I wouldn't say he's not a comic fan.

As far as insults go, Ming need to stand up for himself and learn to jab back at them. They just continue to rip on him and he does nothing about it.

yeah, I watched that episode last night, I was surprised to hear that Brian ran the store. agree about Ming.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JeanRalphio

@dud317 said:

This might be racist idk,but aren't Asians known to be submissive.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@squares said:

I have no respect for Kevin Smith. The guy ruined Black Cat for me, and Clerks was boring as hell.

He wrote Spiderman?

Kevin Smith should have gave up after Dogma it was great, but then he did Batman...>:O

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeppeyHare

@thecheesestabber: I've never read it, but lots of people took issue with him making Cat a rape victim.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanralphio: Stereotypically yes, but I assume your joking. Especially since he's from Cleveland. :-)

PhilyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the show. The stuff that comes in is nice. It reminds me of when I was young and I had time to hang around and bs with my friends. We would always rip non each other. All in good fun. Looking back we would argue about the dumbest stuff. I try not to take entertainment too seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@thecheesestabber: Yep, he wrote an arc called The Evil That Men Do, it was awful.

Yeah, that's racist. Being a sub or a dom has next to nothing to do with race.

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched the first season, but i listen to Tell 'em Steve Dave (their podcast).

I couldn't say how they are portrayed on the show, but Bry and Walt go hard with their humor. But it goes full circle in that they are as tough with eachother as they are with themselves as they are with other people. I have to admit, it can get a bit old sometimes, but i get at least one full force laugh each episode of TESD.

As far as CBM goes, I could see why people would question why Bry is there. After all, he openly admits to knowing next-to-nothing about comics, despite writing 3 series and having run the West Coast Stash (albeit into the ground). And I totally get where people say that he is too hard on Ming.

But you have to understand that TESD is the reason that this show exists in the first place. Kevin gave the network the idea of a comic shop show and pointed them in the direction of the podcast merely as an example. Once AMC heard TESD, they decided that they ARE the show.

So what started out as a comic book store reality show idea became more of a vehicle for those personalities.

I am not saying that should make you love the show, but it may explain a few things.

Just like Walt, AMC makes business choices, and they have to buy what will sell. They belive that the dynamic of personalities works.

Based on listening to the podcast for years, I tend to agree.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

They're all just goofing off, and Walt is just doing his job.

I always feel bad for Ming though. Always getting picked on lol.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TELL 'EM STEVE-DAVE

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By InnerVenom123

That's basically the reason people watch it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317 said:

We Asians? Submissive? Bullpoop. We're Asians, carnivorous motherfckers dawg. We descended from fire-breathing-coke-sniffing dragons. Why do you think we eat so much rice? BECAUSE WE HUNTED ALL THE ANIMALS ON OUR CONTINENT TO EXTINCTION.

...but yeah, Ming is sad haha.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: That's so awesome in a way that no one will question its validity. In the small percent of being offended, no one will admit it because they prefer your version.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

There are times where they're actually pretty nice to Ming. Like in the episode with the Zombie run, they said that they think Ming can win this.

That's basically the only example I can think of right now, lol.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

There are times where they're actually pretty nice to Ming. Like in the episode with the Zombie run, they said that they think Ming can win this.

Same here. Although Walt was a bit of a wimp for backing off in the tattoo challenge.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

Same here. Although Walt was a bit of a wimp for backing off in the tattoo challenge.

Agreed.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Veshark

@dud317 said:

@veshark: That's so awesome in a way that no one will question its validity. In the small percent of being offended, no one will admit it because they prefer your version.

It's the truth, I tell you! Why do you think we eat so much sushi? All our land animals are extinct...NOW WE TURN TO DA SEAS.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By SaintWildcard
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to listen a podcast called TESD, ming is kind of a perve, attention whore and bad husband.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

You need to listen a podcast called TESD, ming is kind of a perve, attention whore and bad husband.

is TESD a name or acronym?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

@saint_rog_el said:

@allstarsuperman said:

is TESD a name or acronym?

Tell em Steve Dave.It's a podcast run by Bryan, Walt and impratical joker Brian Quin. He's been on it and admitted to some of my points.