#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Which one would you rather deal with when something bad happens to your favorite character, comic book limbo or having certain writers write them terribly?

I would rather have a character be in comic book limbo then be written terribly because sometimes if a character is written terribly, then their image is practically ruined (unless a better writer comes along and makes them better again). Also, if a character was in comic book limbo, then their return to comics can be surprising since no one would expect them to come back again.

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Limbo, if a character I like isn't being written correctly then they might as well not be the same character.

#3 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Limbo, if a character I like isn't being written correctly then they might as well not be the same character.

Completely agree. I feel like it's happening now with Tim Drake.

#4 Posted by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, limbo for sure. Hate when my favorite characters are portrayed poorly.

#5 Posted by BlackWind (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

Limbo. Too many bad portrayals could potentially turn you off the character.

#6 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

Limbo. Too many bad portrayals could potentially turn you off the character.

I agree. I might give up on the character if they are continually being written poorly.

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19890 posts) - - Show Bio

What about new 52 static?

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er said:

Yeah, limbo for sure. Hate when my favorite characters are portrayed poorly.

Exactly! I can't stand it when characters are written terribly.

#9 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Limbo.

R.I.P Tim Drake, Harley Quinn and maybe Dick Grayson.

#10 Posted by judasnixon (6168 posts) - - Show Bio

Limbo in the right hands can be used to as a great writing tool. It's a great way to write suspense and hype up a character with out writing a single thing. You know how cool it would have been if Cyclops and his X-men just disappeared for six month with out a word, after Cyclops broke out of prison? Everyone would be going crazy asking themselves, is he evil now? where the hell is he? what's up wit him and Emma? and then out of nowhere you drop him, Magik, Emma, Magneto in the story new costumes, and all. Absence makes the heart grow fonder......

#11 Posted by Joygirl (18453 posts) - - Show Bio

Limbo.

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Limbo in the right hands can be used to as a great writing tool. It's a great way to write suspense and hype up a character with out writing a single thing. You know how cool it would have been if Cyclops and his X-men just disappeared for six month with out a word, after Cyclops broke out of prison? Everyone would be going crazy asking themselves, is he evil now? where the hell is he? what's up wit him and Emma? and then out of nowhere you drop him, Magik, Emma, Magneto in the story new costumes, and all. Absence makes the heart grow fonder......

Definitely agree with this!!!

#13 Posted by judasnixon (6168 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is a little off topic, but there is a difference between a badly written Character, and not agreeing how a character is written. For example: Chuck Austen wrote the X-men poorly. and: I didn't agree with how Grant Morrison wrote the X-Men, even though he wrote it well. But that should probably be a different thread.

#14 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I know this is a little off topic, but there is a difference between a badly written Character, and not agreeing how a character is written. For example: Chuck Austen wrote the X-men poorly. and: I didn't agree with how Grant Morrison wrote the X-Men, even though he wrote it well. But that should probably be a different thread.

That is a good topic! I always thought that badly written characters are just badly written, but there are some stories where you don't agree with how a character is written, but the writer does it so well.

#15 Posted by Icarusflies (12452 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Absolutely this

#16 Posted by judasnixon (6168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rabbitearsblog: Yeah. I feel that a lot of people think if a character isn't written just how they would write it, it was poorly written, and the writer is just an idiot who needs to be fired......
#17 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6089 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely limbo. I'd rather just not see them at all than see them done badly.

#18 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Yeah. I feel that a lot of people think if a character isn't written just how they would write it, it was poorly written, and the writer is just an idiot who needs to be fired......

Although to be fair, I do think that writers should at least re-read some older issues featuring the characters. It's great that they could bring the characters into certain situations that they are not accustomed to, but to make that work, the writer would have to know the characters very well and be able to make a story that will convince the fans about how this character is going through a change in their lives.

#19 Posted by akbogert (3192 posts) - - Show Bio

Does "badly written" include being killed off?

(absolutely limbo)

#20 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Does "badly written" include being killed off?

(absolutely limbo)

There were some characters' deaths that were well written, the big issue is the fact that they keep on bring the dead characters back, making their deaths kind of pointless.

#21 Posted by akbogert (3192 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Oh, I know. That was a not-so-subtle (but apparently subtler than I thought) dig at Avengers Arena.

#22 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Oh, I know. That was a not-so-subtle (but apparently subtler than I thought) dig at Avengers Arena.

Oh! :D

#23 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

limbo of course. Maybe then I would still respect...

• Time Drake
  • Poison Ivy
  • Deadpool (numerous times)
  • Red Hood
  • Gambit
#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

• Time Drake
  • Poison Ivy
  • Red Hood
  • Gambit

I wonder how the Gambit series is doing...

#25 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

• Time Drake
  • Poison Ivy
  • Red Hood
  • Gambit

I love the new Gambit series, but his character has been screwed over numerous times in the past just because the writers lost interest in him or just flat out didn't know what to do with him.

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

• Time Drake
  • Poison Ivy
  • Red Hood
  • Gambit

I love the new Gambit series, but his character has been screwed over numerous times in the past just because the writers lost interest in him or just flat out didn't know what to do with him.

I hate it when writers do that to a character. Even if they don't know exactly what to do with the character, they could have read some older issues where the character was written well and take those personalities to define the character.

#27 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

• Time Drake
  • Poison Ivy
  • Red Hood
  • Gambit

I hate it when writers do that to a character. Even if they don't know exactly what to do with the character, they could have read some older issues where the character was written well and take those personalities to define the character.

Exactly. I would have been happier with these characters if they just left them alone when they weren't needed or wanted, you know?

#28 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

• Time Drake
  • Poison Ivy
  • Red Hood
  • Gambit

Exactly. I would have been happier with these characters if they just left them alone when they weren't needed or wanted, you know?

I agree. If the writers don't know what to do with those characters, then they don't have to feature the character into the stories.

#29 Posted by BlackWind (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman: Luckily it didn't go on for too long so of course he wasn't ruined for me. Static is popular enough I think to stay outta Limbo, but that won't make him get a new title soon. Sadly.

#30 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@AllStarSuperman: Luckily it didn't go on for too long so of course he wasn't ruined for me. Static is popular enough I think to stay outta Limbo, but that won't make him get a new title soon. Sadly.

Yup but he should really have an ongoing so more milestone charters can be around.