• 61 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

How many of you have come into contact with a comic book hater? You know, the kind of people who think you must be below human if you read funny books.  
 
I was once talking to a 'friend' of mine who overall seemed very progressive. Counter culture type. Piercings and tattoos and colored hair (not emo.) A generally pretty cool, seemingly open-minded individual. When she found out that I read comics, and gaging her reaction, you would have thought I said I was a convicted sex offender.   
 
What? Seriously? The chick with the massive Betty Page tattoo on her rib cage thinks I'm a dork cause I read comics? 
  
Any, what experiences do you guys have?

#2 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

none
 
i havent met anyone who looked at me funny because of my past time activities  only get looks because of what i say about things not what i do with my time.

#3 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey: That girl sounds like a douche, girls like that have confidence issues and need to stand out compared to others around her, whom she is constantly judging. I generally don't tell girls I'm into comics until she gets to know me, the cool nerd thing only works if you play it casually. Its when I start talking about what happened in the latest Invincible issue that I scare them off.
#4 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

 
I have  XD 
nothing like, bad though, people's reactions are mostly surprise and they do thing I'm a total geek. [: but oh well. 

#5 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@texasdeathmatch:  
 
lol. We'll I had known her for a few months and was talking to her casually one day about what we were doing that weekend. I said that I had a car trunk full of comics to try to sell. And she was all "you read comics?" and of course I say yes. She rolled her eyes and almost looked disgusted and acted like she never ever wanted me to mention it again. lol 
 
What's worse is my step-mom. I was reading some Thunderbolts one time, and mentioned to her that it is cool to read a year's worth of issues in one sitting and be able to keep up with all the sub-plots without forgetting from month to month. She said "how can there possibly be sub-plots when all there is are pictures and word bubbles?" 
#6 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the people I've encountered that hate comics have never actually read one. 

#7 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey: Yeah, I mean its a generally a guy's interest, and definitely an acquired taste. It sucks though, since some of the best writing comes from comics, hence why there are so many movie adaptations. But unfortunately many people can't get over "pictures and word bubbles", and immediately dismiss it as childish. Haha and don't worry about your stepmom, mine can't even speak English. Don't think I can ever get her into comics
#8 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin:  
 
I was starting to think I was the only one to experience this.
#9 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@texasdeathmatch:  
 
That "pictures and word bubbles" comment stung because she is a huge geek too. Star Trek, Lost, True Blood. I told her that there is a new "zombie TV show" coming out in October. She loves zombie movies. If she starts watching it I will drop the bomb on her that "The Walking Dead" is based on the graphic novel. lol
#10 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey said:

" @texasdeathmatch:   That "pictures and word bubbles" comment stung because she is a huge geek too. Star Trek, Lost, True Blood. I told her that there is a new "zombie TV show" coming out in October. She loves zombie movies. If she starts watching it I will drop the bomb on her that "The Walking Dead" is based on the graphic novel. lol "

oh you definitely do, haha. I just can't tell if its going to be a good show, since I'm HUGELY biased. But then again, I got like 4 of my non comic readers friends really into it, and a couple of their dads. You really can't beat writing like Kirkman's
#11 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@texasdeathmatch: I have actually never read it.  I want to pick it up in trade and check it out before the show starts.
#12 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey: ugh, so good. And I remember reading each TPB years back and being like, wow this was made to be a TV show with each trade being an episode.
#13 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

lots of them. who cares though, why waste even a second caring what those 
mindless baboons think, you know?

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

My sister. She lives under the belief that all comic book readers are unwashed fat men who live in their mother's basements, despite the fact that I read comics and I am none of those things. I logged onto CV and showed her a video with Babs in it, a cool, successful, pretty young woman who liked comic books. >_< My sister's response? "That girl has no life." It's judgy things like that that make me dislike her sometimes.

Moderator
#15 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Kids actually borrowed my comics in high school all the time(mostly Batman:Hush). 
Manga on the other hand tended to make people think I was a pervert. (Damn you Ranma 1/2!)

#16 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm to self absorbed and arrogant to notice those types of people ;D

Moderator
#17 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Never came across anyone like that and if I did I really would not be affected

#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

That was high school. 
 
Them: "Comics books are for retards and children"
Me: "You're all inbred."
 
Sigh, such an evil, evil place.

#19 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey: That girl probably thought comics were too mainstream and she wants to be super counter-culture. There's plenty of alternative comics out there if you want to get her interested. If she won't try them, her loss.
#20 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really into anime or manga, so I'm usually the "normal" one in a group of people I know.

#21 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" That was high school.   Them: "Comics books are for retards and children" Me: "You're all inbred."  Sigh, such an evil, evil place. "
My High school. 
Them:Meh, comics
Me: Batman: Hush.
Them: F%&% yeah Batman!
 
Why yes I am lucky jerk.
#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, a few. 
 
There were no survivors.

#23 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" Yeah, a few.   There were no survivors. "
This comment = win. 
 
@Decoy Elite said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" That was high school.   Them: "Comics books are for retards and children" Me: "You're all inbred."  Sigh, such an evil, evil place. "
My High school.  Them:Meh, comics Me: Batman: Hush. Them: F%&% yeah Batman!  Why yes I am lucky jerk. "

Hush is my favourite graphic novel ever =]
#24 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: It's one of my favs, although I prefer Kingdom Come just a bit. Still the best Batman story I've ever read though.
#25 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

yeahhh, my sister thinks i'm totally retarded .

#26 Posted by MrDirector786 (43493 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" Most of the people I've encountered that hate comics have never actually read one.  "
That's probably the case with almost every comic book hater out there.
Online
#27 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, my last 2 gfs have been like this...

The first wasn't keen on it when she found out, but I downplayed it and it was fine. It's just a hobby, big deal y'know? When she actually picked up an issue of red robin that was in my car though, she couldn't comprehend what I liked about it at all and decided to just leave it alone. 

My current gf isn't as bad though, she'll page through some of my books and doesn't mind visiting the stores with me on occasion. She think it's lame and gives me tons of shit for it, constantly rolling her eyes when I mention them...but she does it out of love I think lol. I think she secretly likes that I read them ;) finds it at least somewhat endearing.  
She actually loved when I took the time one night to read her an issue of iZombie and explain what was going on. I had to act out all the parts though and make up different voices for all the characters lol it was fun. She appreciated it. 
 

#28 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: 
 
When strangers ask me what I do for a living and I tell them that one of the things that I do is letter comics, they are always fascinated...and respectful. 
 
When strangers ask me what my hobbies are and I tell them that one of the things that I like to do is read comics, they usually say..."Why?" 
 
Those people who question my hobby are not "haters." They just need to have the comic book medium explained to them. 
 
Conversely, anyone who reads comics and cannot innumerate their benefits to someone who has never read a comi book is the "hater." Because they dismiss that non-reader out-of-hand with no explanation.
#29 Posted by Joey Ravn (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Never, though I knew a girl who wasn't "very confortable" with me reading comic books.

#30 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people find me a little weird for my obsetion with comic books, but when they see the characters I'm reading about and how cool they are, well...then thier opinion changes.
#31 Posted by Mekboy (1142 posts) - - Show Bio

my brother

#32 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joey Ravn said:
"Never, though I knew a girl who wasn't "very confortable" with me reading comic books. "

It's cause you're reading about big, muscley dudes (most likely)
#33 Edited by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:

" @Joey Ravn said:

"Never, though I knew a girl who wasn't "very confortable" with me reading comic books. "
It's cause you're reading about big, muscley dudes (most likely) "
Or half-naked supermodel types.
#34 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @ReverseNegative said:

" @Joey Ravn said:

"Never, though I knew a girl who wasn't "very confortable" with me reading comic books. "
It's cause you're reading about big, muscley dudes (most likely) "
Or half-naked supermodel types. "
LOL Namor.
#35 Posted by IrishX (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

People tend to hate what they don't understand.

#36 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
@countvontrey said: What? Seriously? The chick with the massive Betty Page tattoo on her rib cage thinks I'm a dork cause I read comics?   Any, what experiences do you guys have? "

     
 
If she is your friend then she wouldn't act that way.  
 
Reading is a great thing.  People need to read a lot more.
#37 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, I most definitely have 
one day last month, my boyfriend and I went to an underwear party at this bar here in Baltimore 
and just out of the blue, he said something to me about comicbooks 
I think it was "well, you'd know, with that stack of comicbooks you're always toting around"  
he was just joking around of course, something in regards to something I said about the innaccuracies of someone's supposedly "batman" underwear 
(they weren't Batman, just bats)
but you would not have believed the look in those gay dudes' eyes 
the look of utter disdain as they saw me again, for the first time and started judging me to death 
I might as well have been caught picking my nose or eating a scab 
the look was a resounding "Whaaaa---?" 
oh well 
they're all corny bitches any way 
I also don't tan or bleach my teeth, so it was never going to be any great friendship with them in the first place
#38 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy: Jeez, when the guys at the gay bar start discriminating against you, you're really in trouble.
#39 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham:
oh they don't discrimintae 
just openly judge  
it's okay though 
I came in 3rd in the underwear contest 
suck on it, haters!
#40 Edited by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy said:

"yes, I most definitely have one day last month, my boyfriend and I went to an underwear party at this bar here in Baltimore and just out of the blue, he said something to me about comicbooks I think it was "well, you'd know, with that stack of comicbooks you're always toting around"  he was just joking around of course, something in regards to something I said about the innaccuracies of someone's supposedly "batman" underwear (they weren't Batman, just bats)but you would not have believed the look in those gay dudes' eyes the look of utter disdain as they saw me again, for the first time and started judging me to death I might as well have been caught picking my nose or eating a scab the look was a resounding "Whaaaa---?" oh well they're all corny bitches any way I also don't tan or bleach my teeth, so it was never going to be any great friendship with them in the first place "


Hahaha, lmfao  
I have a similar reaction to any of the girls in my life that have knocked it.  
Although usually "corny" is replaced with "boring".
#41 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

#42 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bobby X:
I'm glad you can relate! 
nuts to al lthose boring, corny biotches
#43 Posted by Dr.Strange86 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I once had a friend who acted all depressed and went on rants about how i had no life,  and when he found out I read comics, He just said that comics were okay when you're three, but reading them now is just retarded.

#44 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dr.Strange86:
you should have told him, calling people  "retarded" is also pretty retarded for a non-3 year old
#45 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I Don't know enough people who can read... Soo, it's a lost cause to expose them all to complicated plots and Long Story arcs. -_- ...And those who can read hate American books, and Only read magma and Nothing else.

#46 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

Never have encounterd someone like that and hope i never will....i dont evne bring comics up in a conversation anyways. 
 
 

 
#47 Posted by speedarrow (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't had the pleasure yet. But you know what, does it really matter? It's all about what you like, not what they think.

#48 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedarrow:
exactly 
#49 Posted by the referee (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell I had and made more friends though comics. Now with the Vine I have friends all over the world!!

#50 Posted by speedarrow (77 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Same here, or at least in high school. They would read Fruits Basket, Cowboy Behop, Inuyasha, Naruto, Death Note, the manga/anime stuff.