Comic Book fans vs Manga/Anime

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Probably already a post for this topic, but I didn't see it...

Basically, if anyone that either is or was apart of this nerd battle I've been hearing about, I want to know why? Maybe some stories of your experience... Whatever you want... Just for fun...

As a comic reader, I got into one of these with my cousin back when I was young and dumb and cared about such trivial things... It basically revolved around 2 things:

1. She assumed comics were for kids and Manga was more mature and thoughtful (thus making her superior to me).

2. The super powered heroes that I read about were totally lame and unrealistic... Stuff like controlling spirit energy/KI (whatever the writer decided to call it), turning into animals involuntarily, killing people by writing names in a journals, etc, according to her, weren't super powers...

These of course pissed me off because A. Modern comics are very adult themed, and have very complex story lines (sometimes), and B. THOSE ARE TOTALLY SUPER POWERS!!!!

:) Anyway, what do you guys got?

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to say, so I'm just going to say: Blueberry.

ScarletFirefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually have this argument from time to time with my brother (we are both 22 yrs). He thinks that comics are very childish and superheros are pretty lame guys with skintight pants and underwear on the outside. He says that character from Anime/Manga are more diverse and cool-looking. Also he thinks that superheroes have lamer reasons to fight, you know fight crime, save USA, too much patriotism for him lol.

While I'm not versed in the ways of the comics (If I were to compare my knowledge of the comicverse to the one that can be learnt, I'd say a 1:9 ratio lol), I'm sure that comics are not only people that fight crime in tight pants and capes.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:

These of course pissed me off

Saw that coming from the title.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

As for the topic, depends on the fan.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a way I could SEE why Comic book superheroes would be considered lame/corny when compared to Anime/Manga.

This really comes down to opinion at the end of the day, and fans can be a bit bias.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Comic book fans ftw! But then again I'm probably biased

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:

This was years ago though, almost a whole decade has passed since then...

I got the idea for the thread after finding out very recently that there was apparently a real rivalry between fans of these two genre's.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gokuss4z

I just read both :)

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RelloMan

@gokuss4z said:

I just read both :)

Still don't read Manga, but I have a better reason now than because they are the "other".

They just milk too much of the story. There's way too many pages of nothing but exposition, and I hate how tedious it is to read... It's like, we get it, get to the point...

Also, I like super powers... I don't even read Batman or Punisher and the like...

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gokuss4z

@relloman: I only read complete series I agree that manga can be painfully tedious especially bleach. But there are some solid manga out there that break the norm.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:
@princearagorn1 said:
@relloman said:

and here you are, still making threads about it.

I got the idea for the thread after finding out very recently that there was apparently a real rivalry between fans of these two genre's.

Apparently being the key word.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Big fan of both Anime/Manga and Comic books. Mainly because both are awesome. Whats not to like? Theres a comic book and Manga out there for everybody. I cant wait until the Manga live action movie market takes off like the Live Action Superhero films did.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Rivalry is dumb.

If you need to rage against something, make it young adult fiction.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:
@princearagorn1 said:
@relloman said:

Lol, are you trying to start a fight? Haha, okay, childish...

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z said:

@relloman: I only read complete series I agree that manga can be painfully tedious especially bleach. But there are some solid manga out there that break the norm.

I'm sure there are. There always are exceptions to rules. I did read Devilman and The Guyver for a while...

Yellow-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yellow-Streak

I like comics more because they speak to me more personally than manga. Manga has way too much drama and the black and white is painful on the eyes when you read it for too long. Comics have more diversity and feel more unique where as most manga just seem to follow cliches that other mangas established. Anyone who says comics are just about superheroes are just uneducated fanboys.

There are some manga that I really liked, but most just don't have anything really interesting unlike comics which always grab me. Also it's easier to become a comic creator than a manga creator, you can be an artist or just a writer and still get in the business, so more people are creating comic books than manga, officially at least.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@relloman: Well using the Death Note isn't a super power it's a super item but literally Manga are Japanese comics and they both cover a range of topics. It would be impossible to like one without liking the other if you gave them a fair crack.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guru_crack:

Well using the Death Note isn't a super power it's a super item

Meh, to-may-to/to-mah-to. He uses the super power contained in the super item.

they both cover a range of topics. It would be impossible to like one without liking the other if you gave them a fair crack.

I know all this now. It's the tedium of constant exposition that keeps me away.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman: Super Item are diff like Green Lantern has a Super Item and has no powers himself.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman: Super Item are diff like Green Lantern has a Super Item and has no powers himself.

I'm stickin with to-may-to, to-mah-to

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stormmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga & Comics are both excellent mediums to get into that has alot of diversity in their story telling. They both share many similarities yet they each bring their own flair to the mix.

The problem is that people on both sides generalize the hell out of not only the other medium but communities as well. It's really stupid, sad, and ironic because both sides stress to people that don't read neither Comics or Manga to not generalize them. Though I gotta be honest from what I see the Manga readers are the worst of the offenders. I cringe everytime they try to do a Manga vs Comics video, or thread.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormmagician:

There are videos? Like on Youtube? I kinda wanna watch one, and scroll threw the comment section for laughs

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when manga has spider-man, then we'll talk

Avatar image for johndanielmclemore
JohnDanielMcLemore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best way to look at it is; Superman is the "Posterboy" for Comics, and Goku is the "Posterboy" for Anime/Manga! They pretty much sum up all of their respective genre.

Goku's character is dressed a little more casual than superman's. Goku's looks like he's about to go workout, while superman looks like he's going to be in a musical theatre (He don't look as ready to fight)!!

Goku and most other manga gain more "Physical powers" such as strength, Durability, speed, and/or Power/Energy!!!

Superman and most other Comic characters gain like an omnipotence (So-To-Say)!! Time warp, space control, energy absorption, matter manipulation, soul control, mind control, etc... "Omnipotent powers"!!

Neither are Realistic at all!! But the Manga Power-Ups are more realistic to reality than Comics are! It's not bad until they get power ups though.

I stayed more "To The Middle of The Line so to Say" with picking this stuff, there's a ton of Manga/Anime people couldn't care less about. And there's also Comic characters that have no powers, so I used certain "Base Characters" of each!

With goku, most Manga characters dress like him. With Superman, most Comic characters dress like him! Villians for both genres dress better to me!! Lol

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Omega_kai

Goku is more popular than Superman come at me dumb fanboys.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that was true Goku would have won the DB.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Omega_kai

@never_give_up: Eh, if it wasn't for MOS, I'm sure a lot of people would have forgot he even existed. He was pretty lame in the Justice League show too.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Eh, if it wasn't for MOS, I'm sure a lot of people would have forgot he even existed. He was pretty lame in the Justice League show too.

People forgetting Superman exists that's absurd.

That's your opinion.

People do read comics and there's the DCAOM where Superman is interesting.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@black_wreath: I know you read the Hunger Games when no one is looking :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've watched more anime than I've read manga.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: It isn't absurd, barely anyone knows those movies exist ether and not a lot of people read comics. Superman isn't interesting, I will admit I did like the movie when he went physco for a minute.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The only reason I read more manga now is cuz Marvel and DC produce straight garbage

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 the_stegman  Moderator

Manga & Comics are both excellent mediums to get into that has alot of diversity in their story telling. They both share many similarities yet they each bring their own flair to the mix.

The problem is that people on both sides generalize the hell out of not only the other medium but communities as well. It's really stupid, sad, and ironic because both sides stress to people that don't read neither Comics or Manga to not generalize them. Though I gotta be honest from what I see the Manga readers are the worst of the offenders. I cringe everytime they try to do a Manga vs Comics video, or thread.

This.

Also, I want to add, that there's more to comic books than just superhero comics, superhero comics are pretty much the Shonen of the West, action, fighting, geared toward young men, etc.

Just like there's tons of other manga than Shonen, there's more comics than superheroes, there's horror comics, sci fi, fantasy, espionage, you name it, it exists. Neither is better or worse than the other, it's all about preference, and yeah, fans of one tend to generalize about the other.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: It isn't absurd, barely anyone knows those movies exist ether and not a lot of people read comics. Superman isn't interesting, I will admit I did like the movie when he went physco for a minute.

It is absurd people just wake up and forget about Superman. Not happening ever. With the amount of money they make I'd have to disagree with you.

Loading Video...
Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Omega_kai

@never_give_up: I'm not watching that, again it's not absurd as time passes people will start to forget Superman if nothing interesting or cool comes up about him. Stop kidding yourself his comics don't make that much money and DC comics in particular are dropping in sales. The only reason he is gaining popularity is because of his recent MOS movie and the upcoming BvS. It has nothing to do with comic book sales or those animated movies. I don't hate Superman he is too boring to hate on.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: I'm not watching that, again it's not absurd as time passes people will start to forget Superman if nothing interesting or cool comes up about him. Stop kidding yourself his comics don't make that much money and DC comics in particular are dropping in sales. The only reason he is gaining popularity is because of his recent MOS movie and the upcoming BvS. It has nothing to do with comic book sales or those animated movies. I don't hate Superman he is too boring to hate on.

Of course not you don't even read the comics.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: I don't see how that relates to me not watching the video...but ok.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:
@princearagorn1 said:
@relloman said:
@princearagorn1 said:
@relloman said:

Lol, are you trying to start a fight?

There would be a fight if I was trying.

Haha, okay, childish...

What's childish is carrying over annoyance of a disagreement years ago and making threads about a rivalry that "apparently" exists. In one word, pointless.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whens the last time a DB manga or any anime/manga for that matter sell for 3 million dollars.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RelloMan

@princearagorn1:

Oh, okay, thanks. Now I know to ignore you from now on cause you're just a troll

(this is how the adult version of myself handles such things) ;)

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:

@princearagorn1:

Oh, okay, thanks. Now I know to ignore you from now on cause you're just a troll

(this is how the adult version of myself handles such things) ;)

lel, making pointless threads and calling others trolls is the adult way to go.

le0nhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Chazz85

My younger brother is like this and believes comics are cool. Yet he thinks there a wasit of time cos no one ver stays dead and plots are retconned. I prefer comics myself due to me having very little interest for manga outside shonen and mecha.

@omega_kai Yeah the pop culture icon known around the world vs The king of anime who like 60% of people don't know exist. Don't be absurd goku may beat superman in a fight he may be cooler. But he is less popular.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chazz85 said:

My younger brother is like this and believes comics are cool. Yet he thinks there a wasit of time cos no one ver stays dead and plots are retconned. I prefer comics myself due to me having very little interest for manga outside shonen and mecha.

@omega_kaiYeah the pop culture icon known around the world vs The king of anime who like 60% of people don't know exist. Don't be absurd goku may beat superman in a fight he may be cooler. But he is less popular.

This.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Minus the beating Superman in a fight and being cooler part