Comic Book Character Rip-offs.

CaptainMexico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By CaptainMexico

It has come to my attention that over the years DC, MARVEL, and other comic book industries have been stealing/coping ideas or characters from one another. This isn't anything new, but I just wanted to know more about this subject and all of these characters since I like most of them. Some are completely obvious like Superman and Sentry or Deathstroke and Deadpool, so I'm going to make a list about all the ones I can find. I'll appreciate any help. I'll put the first appearance of the character right next to their name.

1. Superman (Action Comics#1, June 1938)-Sentry (Sentry#1, September 2000)

2. Deathstroke (The New Teen Titans vol.1 #2)-Deadpool (New Mutants#98, February 1991)

3. Darkseid (Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen#134, November 1970)-Thanos (Iron Man#55, February 1973)

4.Captain America (Captain America Comics#1, March 1941)-Fighting American (Fighting American#1, April 1954)

5. Namor (Marvel Comics#1, October 1939)-Aquaman (More Fun Comics#73, November 1941)

6. Batman (Detective Comics#27, May 1939)-Moon Knight (Werewolf by Night#32, August 1975)

7. Superman (Action Comics#1, June 1938)-Hyperion (The Avengers#69, October 1969)

8. Doctor Fate (More Fun Comics#55, May 1940)-Professor Strange (Strange Tales#110, July 1963)

9. Catwoman (Batman#1, Spring 1941)-Black Cat (The Amazing Spider-Man#194, July 1979)

10. Doom Patrol (My Greatest Adventure#80, June 1963)-X-Men (The X-Men#1, September 1963)

11. Zorro (All-Story Weekly vol. 100 #2, August 6, 1919)-Batman ( (Detective Comics#27, May 1939)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@captainmexico: you forgot that wolverine is a ripoff of Timberwolf and Hawkman.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@allstarsuperman:

Wolverine and Hawkman are not similar at all..........................................................................

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Notice how two of the rip-offs are DC, while eight are Marvel.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wolverine is nowhere close to a ripoff so what are you talking about

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By novi_homines

To be clear, you're defining "rip offs" as "character within marvel or DC, who were not able to rip off characters from other mediums first". Am I right?

OrphanCrippler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

damn, X-men being the most blatant rip-off i've ever seen is tough for me as an x-men reader.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman apparently have most inspired/analogue characters in comic , ya can find analogues of many other comic characters like Batman , Spiderman here http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CaptainErsatz/ComicBooks

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering how nothing is original anymore, it could be said all those DC characters are rip offs too.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Wyldsong
@rulerofthisuniverse said:

Black Bat (1933) -- Batman (1939)

Pretty sure we can find more DC characters that are copies of others...

Gladiator (1930) -- Superman (1938)

Early age Superman's powers were a direct copy of the main characters powers from that pulp fiction novel, including the fact that they both were from small farming towns and a few other similarities...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool isn't a rip off of Deathstroke, he's a parody.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

No the Batman creators took inspiration from The Shadow and other pulp characters. If you read the early Batman stuff, it is completely noticeable.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wyldsong

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

No the Batman creators took inspiration from The Shadow and other pulp characters. If you read the early Batman stuff, it is completely noticeable.

They definitely ripped off Black Bat, that is fairly obvious (come on, "Black Bat", then a few years later "Batman", a crimefighter with a similar costume -- it is so obvious that it isn't even funny). Of course, believe it or not, there are even multiple ties to Zorro as well. Bats is one big smorgasbord of rip off.

Then, check out the edit to my post, Supe's was a rip as well.

And then you have claims of the Green Lanterns being basically a rip of an old sci-fi series called the Lensman...the Lensman were galactic guardians of sort run by an advanced race and given a special weapon unique to them that granted powers that only they could use...sound familiar?

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

X-men and the Teen Titans

Titans are a rip off of the X-men.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

No, they ripped Black Bat, that is fairly obvious (come on, "Black Bat", then a few years later "Batman", a crimefighter with a similar costume -- it is so obvious that it isn't even funny). Then, check out the edit to my post, Supe's was a rip as well.

All of the DC characters are influenced by Pulp characters. Just how all of marvel characters are influenced by DC's

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#17 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Artists and writers take inspiration from each other all the time. And that is the way it should be. You could argue that it is, to some extent, unavoidable. I don't consider any of these to be rip offs. Maybe some served as inspiration for others, but when is it ever the initial idea which is considered original? The direction you take it in, the way you develop it - THAT is what makes an idea original, to me anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

Artists and writers take inspiration from each other all the time. And that is the way it should be. You could argue that it is, to some extent, unavoidable. I don't consider any of these to be rip offs. Maybe some served as inspiration for others, but when is it ever the initial idea which is considered original? The direction you take it in, the way you develop it - THAT is what makes an idea original, to me anyway.

This.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wyldsong

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

No, they ripped Black Bat, that is fairly obvious (come on, "Black Bat", then a few years later "Batman", a crimefighter with a similar costume -- it is so obvious that it isn't even funny). Then, check out the edit to my post, Supe's was a rip as well.

All of the DC characters are influenced by Pulp characters. Just how all of marvel characters are influenced by DC's

Supe's and the Lanterns were more than influenced, they were basically direct rip offs (see my update on the Lanterns in the previous post).

Batman is damn near Zorro's twin in another timeline. Zorro had a millionaire playboy type persona that fought crime with a secret cave/lair beneath his home that housed all of his Zorro stuff, and both had the butler that knew of their alter ego. Then we basically take Black Bat's name and costume, update the time period, and there you have Batman. That's a bit more than just influence. There's no denying nor defending it, because it is beyond obvious.

I am not slamming these characters, but I felt the need to point this out, since it feels like Marvel is getting the brunt of this in this thread. Comics and fiction in general is notorious for doing things like this. And not all of Marvel's are influenced by DCs...geez...and DC has done it's fair share of ripping off. Both are guilty with their hands in the cookie jar.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@allstarsuperman:

Wolverine and Hawkman are not similar at all..........................................................................

Wolverine is nowhere close to a ripoff so what are you talking about

He first appeared in Adventure Comics #327 (1964). Originally, Timber Wolf was superhumanly fast and agile, but when the serum changed him into a wolf-like lycanthrope he gained claws, enhanced senses, the ability to heal quickly from injuries, and superhuman strength. As a byproduct of his wolfen form, he is often prone to outbursts of savage fury. sound fimiliar?

Hawkman first appeared in Flash Comics #1 in 1940. In most comic books he is known to have slightly enhanced physical strength. There is, however, one significantly unique weapon Carter employs occasionally: the Claw of Horus. Nth metal greatly aids in healing, closing wounds almost instantaneously. He even has the claw that looks like wolverines claws:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Oxzh9Q1GoWQ/THw4VVuyqeI/AAAAAAAACD4/xkSpF7ILpjU/s1600/ng_hawkman_94.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080418010055/marvel_dc/images/9/92/Katar_02.jpg

http://thecomicshop.com.au/covers/comics/h/hawkm/hawkman-vol3-002-dc-nm.jpg

Wolverine first appeared in the last panel of The Incredible Hulk #180, with his first full appearance in #181 (cover-dated Nov. 1974). Wolverine is a mutant who possesses animal-keen senses, enhanced physical capabilities and a healing factor that allows him to recover from virtually any wound, disease, or toxin at an accelerated rate. The healing factor also slows down his aging process, enabling him to live beyond a normal human lifespan. His powerful healing factor enabled him to survive having the near-indestructible metalalloyadamantium bonded to his skeleton.

yes Wolverine is a ripoff. animal senses, animal name, enhanced strength, healing factor, special metal. and heck he even stole timberwolf's looks: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Timber_Wolf_%28comics%29.jpg

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

They definitely ripped off Black Bat, that is fairly obvious (come on, "Black Bat", then a few years later "Batman", a crimefighter with a similar costume -- it is so obvious that it isn't even funny). Of course, believe it or not, there are even multiple ties to Zorro as well. Bats is one big smorgasbord of rip off.

And then you have claims of the Green Lanterns being basically a rip of an old sci-fi series called the Lensman...the Lensman were galactic guardians of sort run by an advanced race and given a special weapon unique to them that granted powers that only they could use...sound familiar?

Nope just the name. His rip off is daredevil

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: There are tons of characters with animal like senses and healing factors, I guess they are all rip offs of Timberwolf?

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

Nope just the name. His rip off is daredevil

I agree, DD was a bit of a rip as well, but Batman took more than just the name...basic costume and theme as well (bat theme).

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest there's big difference between Rip Offs & Inspired . Mostly all characters nowadays share similarities , are inspired , influenced, homages , deconstruction , parodies , tributes of other characters anyway . Rip-off would a complete duplicate copy of a character . Example - Batman was inspired by Zorro & Shadow & for Superman , Siegal and Shuster used aspects of characters like Moses, John Carter & Gladiator . If Gladiator arrived on earth from his dying alien planet & jumped around wearing blue/red costume & saving people with heat vision , ice breath , x ray vision & had an alter ego of a mild mannered reporter then he Superman would have been a Rip-off.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wyldsong

@deadgod said:

To be honest there's big difference between Rip Offs & Inspired . Mostly all characters nowadays share similarities , are inspired , influenced, homages , deconstruction , parodies , tributes of other characters anyway . Rip-off would a complete duplicate copy of a character . Example - Batman was inspired by Zorro & Shadow & for Superman , Siegal and Shuster used aspects of characters like Moses, John Carter & Gladiator . If Gladiator arrived on earth from his dying alien planet & jumped around wearing blue/red costume & saving people with heat vision , ice breath , x ray vision & had an alter ego of a mild mannered reporter then he Superman would have been a Rip-off.

Problem is, when you take direct things from the base material (Black Bat's costume and name, and Zorro's millionaire playboy bit with a secret cave and butler, and Gladiator's exact power set and farm boy background with basically the same views on how and where to use their powers and keeping them hidden with a meek and mild mannered alter ego and a secret place to get away from the world at large) then it tends to be a bit more of an influence.

An influence is more like how the movie Boogeyman was influenced by the early Evil Dead movies with a similar atmosphere and such, but did not have a version of the necronomicon, deadites, and a chainsaw wielding hero.

Now, glass is half full, glass is half empty -- so sure, a lot of people may have a more lenient view than I do on what a rip off is. But taking direct and important story pieces is more than influence.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: There are tons of characters with animal like senses and healing factors, I guess they are all rip offs of Timberwolf?

sure.... im just saying Wolverine is not that original. not saying i hate him. or that i like timberwolf better. i think wolverine is cool some of the time. but you have to admit he did take a bunch of stuff from hawkman and timberwolf.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

Supe's and the Lanterns were more than influenced, they were basically direct rip offs (see my update on the Lanterns in the previous post).

Batman is damn near Zorro's twin in another timeline. Zorro had a millionaire playboy type persona that fought crime with a secret cave/lair beneath his home that housed all of his Zorro stuff, and both had the butler that knew of their alter ego. Then we basically take Black Bat's name and costume, update the time period, and there you have Batman. That's a bit more than just influence. There's no denying nor defending it, because it is beyond obvious.

I am not slamming these characters, but I felt the need to point this out, since it feels like Marvel is getting the brunt of this in this thread. Comics and fiction in general is notorious for doing things like this. And not all of Marvel's are influenced by DCs...geez...and DC has done it's fair share of ripping off.

I don't think Marvel is ripping off DC at all! I think they both took influence. Characters take influence from others all the time. Its not just in comics, its in everything! Being completely original is near impossible! I have tried coming up with a superpower, It's not easy. You can't make a personality of any character without having to take from other characters, and you can't have a power thats unlike no others. You can probably find Pulp characters that are influence by characters from novels, and novel characters that are biblical related.

@bumpyboo said:

This person said it best.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

@gor724 said:

@wyldsong said:

I am not slamming these characters, but I felt the need to point this out, since it feels like Marvel is getting the brunt of this in this thread. Comics and fiction in general is notorious for doing things like this. And not all of Marvel's are influenced by DCs...geez...and DC has done it's fair share of ripping off.

I don't think Marvel is ripping off DC at all! I think they both took influence. Characters take influence from others all the time. Its not just in comics, its in everything! Being completely original is near impossible! I have tried coming up with a superpower, It's not easy. You can't make a personality of any character without having to take from other characters, and you can't have a power thats unlike no others. You can probably find Pulp characters that are influence by characters from novels, and novel characters that are biblical related.

Lol, I do=) They have both done it to one another numerous times (Deadpool and DS, Namor and Aquaman, and so on).

They are both ripping each other off, along with other companies in the mix. Like I said before, influence is one thing, but when you take direct story bits like I have pointed out and incorporate them, then it crosses the line from influence into rip off.

So, you have a character that wears a costume, and fights crime on the streets. Innocent enough, and I can see the word influence being thrown around for characters of a similar nature. Now, the original character is rich, has a playboy persona, has a butler, and a cave beneath his house where he stores all of his alter ego stuff...then the second character has exactly the same thing, even with a moderately altered back story, that screams more than influence. It screams rip off.

That's my basic gripe/point in all of this=)

Dremorius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

black panther is a ripoff batman , i mean ffs even the costume is the same.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Blood_Red_Rage

Marvel and DC (and the many companies before the two titans became what they were) have been taking from one another time and time again. One gets success with a character or group and the other tries to do the same with some alteration. Now granted, some characters evolve into there own thing and perhaps even greater than what came before them.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@bumpyboo said:

Totally agree. Not to say there isn't a fair amount of true rip-offs, but pretty much all the ones listed where, as you said, just a case of one writer taking inspiration from another.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#33 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@battle_forum_junkie: Oh you are definitely right there, deliberate plagiarism goes on all the time! :) But I think people are far too quick to throw the term around. Looking at a character and saying "oh his costume is similar to another one so he is a rip off" just says to me that the person does not really understand what the character is about.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread just proves how the word rip-off has lost meaning and is used to loosely. Can't we used inspired rather than rip-off? How about saying this chracthers inspired such and such. The creators of one of my fav heroe Nova had said before that Richard rider was inspirers by both green lantern and spider man.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot Atom and Antman, and reversely, Wasp and Bumblebee.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

@bumpyboo said:

Totally agree. Not to say there isn't a fair amount of true rip-offs, but pretty much all the ones listed where, as you said, just a case of one writer taking inspiration from another.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Captain America (one of my absolute favorites) could be considered a rip-off of the Shield and Deathstroke is a rip-off of Taskmaster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I personally don't think Deadpool is a rip off of Deathstroke. He's more of a parody that actually progressed into becoming his own thing. If you're going to sit and say "they're both mercenaries" or something, then let's just call every mercenary there ever was a rip off, of the first mercenary.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America (one of my absolute favorites) could be considered a rip-off of the Shield and Deathstroke is a rip-off of Taskmaster.

Taskmaster is a Mr Terrible Rip off. IIRC

No Caption Provided

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rouflex
laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The word inspired is truly lost among people.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@rulerofthisuniverse: Batman is a copy of Zorro, Black Bat, Phantom.

Superman: originally ripped off Hercules.

Blue Bettle/Spider-Man

Lobo/Wolverine+Punisher

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Black Canary (Dinah Drake) (first apperance Flash Comics 86 June 10 1947) and Black Widow (Natasha Romanova) (first apperance Tales of Suspense 52 April 1 1964) later in comics she began to have lot of similarities with both Black Canary with similiar costumes and traits.

Black Canary (Dinah Lance) (first apperance Justice League 75 November 1969) and Mockinbird (first apperance Astonishing Tales 6 June 1 1971)

Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) (first apperance More Fun Comics 73 September 25 1941) and Hawkeye (Cliton Barton) (first apperance Tales of Suspense 57 September 1 1964)