Comic Art

Rick475069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rick475069

Does the art of a comic book have anything to do with whether you will purchase it or not?

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kadeem

A good comic book artist must be able to thoroughly understand the plot and the story of a comic book so that he can use visual imagery to communicate the plot with the personality and emotions of the characters. Another point is during an action scene a good artist knows how to create a powerful sense of motion and impact in a still image. We have to remember that as a medium comic books have certain strengths that solely textual media doesn't in telling a story.

@Rick475069: Awesome avatar BTW

edictzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By edictzero

I don't buy books based solely on an artist, but if an artist is bad I will stop reading the title usually

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

I buy comics with good art even if the plot is bad. I also buy comics with good plot even if the art is unappealing.

juicefacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By juicefacekilla

I start buying a book based on art. If the artist leaves the title but I still care about the title I'll keep picking it up, if not I'll drop it.

Swiffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Swiffer

@TheVoiceOfReason said:

I buy comics with good art even if the plot is bad. I also buy comics with good plot even if the art is unappealing.

Reason here pretty much summed up my view as well. Although I will admit sometimes I find it a little harder to read a story with less appealing art than others. But as previously stated if the story is solid then I'm still in.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By nickthedevil

@kadeem said:

A good comic book artist must be able to thoroughly understand the plot and the story of a comic book so that he can use visual imagery to communicate the plot with the personality and emotions of the characters. Another point is during an action scene a good artist knows how to create a powerful sense of motion and impact in a still image. We have to remember that as a medium comic books have certain strengths that solely textual media doesn't in telling a story.

@Rick475069: Awesome avatar BTW

This.

If a story does not have good art, I avoid it completely.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By lightsout

It plays a pretty big part for me. I couldn't get through The Dark Knight Returns because I just couldn't "handle" the art (/ "arrangement"). And while Justice League hasn't had the best stories of the new 52, Jim Lee's art + the fact that it's the friggin Justice League, has made it my favorite title of the 52. There's just some artists/styles which let me connect to the story more, which makes the whole experience more enjoyable (probably in a "that's how I picture that person" sort of way).

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

I don't need spectacular art to read a comic, but I do need a competent artist. And I do have favorite artists that may make me pick up a comic, but the writer's in charge of keeping me interested.