#1 Posted by Marwan (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hiya,

I wanted to startup a quick thread to get other people's feedback on how they go about preserving their comic books.

I mainly collect graphic novel hardbacks and have been wondering about the best way to preserve them to insure longevity. Most sites I've come across talk about preserving single issues, grading them, etc...

Thanks!

#2 Posted by OldManRaffles (28 posts) - - Show Bio

With single issues I just bag and board them and put them in a long box. With my trades and graphic novels I just put them on shelves. You can, however, bag the trades and graphic novels as well. The comic book store I get my stuff from bag all of their trades and graphic novels.

#3 Posted by sagejonathan (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

Bag and board all single issues and put them in long boxes.

For trade paperbacks, after I read them I put them in a comic bag is their small enough without the board. It's not necessary at all but I just like it that way.

Hardcovers, I just leave them alone without anything. Just don't damage them on your own.

#4 Edited by Queso6p4 (1411 posts) - - Show Bio

With single issues I just bag and board them and put them in a long box. With my trades and graphic novels I just put them on shelves. You can, however, bag the trades and graphic novels as well. The comic book store I get my stuff from bag all of their trades and graphic novels.

Bag and board all single issues and put them in long boxes.

For trade paperbacks, after I read them I put them in a comic bag is their small enough without the board. It's not necessary at all but I just like it that way.

Hardcovers, I just leave them alone without anything. Just don't damage them on your own.

I don't do long boxes anymore as they're a huge pain in the ass to move. I'm switching to stackable boxes in the future as to save space. There are various bags you can use but the ones you get from your local comic shop should hold up for 5-7 years. I agree with the hardcovers thing and even do the same with trades as they're typically pretty sturdy and can lie flat or be placed on a bookshelf with ease, but like sagejonathan said, I also put small trades in bags just for the heck of it but you don't have to. If you're gonna tape your bags closed make sure to use magic tape as the cheap stuff will leave an annoying residue on your bags and possibly tear them. I actually tape mine in a "weird" sort of way that keeps said tape from potentially sticking to the comic when you take it out of the bag. Naturally, there are different sized bags and boards depending on how old the comics are you're buying. There is a general thread about this here that offers some good intro advice.

#5 Posted by JediXMan (27903 posts) - - Show Bio

I bad/board individual comics and put them in multiple short boxes (easier to store / stack than long boxes, at least for me). I'm less careful with trades, but I prefer to read them with clean hands (which is how I feel about most of my books). Trades I just put on my shelf.

#6 Edited by Marwan (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome info, thanks for all the replies!

#7 Edited by Marwan (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's another followup question to the above:

In some cases I keep the graphic novels wrapped in the actual nylon shrink wrap that they were in when I bought them.

Is this toxic overtime? Is it better to take the books out of these wrappers?

Thanks!