Clever Writing or Pretentious Rubbish?

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheDandyMan

While some comics rely on action-packed fights or fun characters, some writers like to add a little bit of intelligence into their work (or, at least, some would think of it as intelligence). For example, The Sandman is known for being a pretty clever series. It can be handy to have the internet on hand when it comes to pages like this:

No Caption Provided

Above, Morpheus meets The Three Witches and greets one of them with the name Atropos to which she replies that he might as well call her Morrigan. Unless you're an expert on mythology, you'd have to look up these names to get the references: Atropos is one of the Fates in Greek stories and Morrigan is a figure in Irish folklore.

What do you think of this style of writing? Do you enjoy the obscureness of it or is it just wack?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I enjoy writing like that.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Love it. However I get what you mean when you say some writing is just pretentious.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neil Gaiman is a pretty decent writer. It's a fine balance between clever and pretentious. A good reader can pick up on which it is pretty quickly./

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It isn't really pretentious, I guess you could argue that its unnecessarily showy but that's about it.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kramotz

I don't see how that's even remotely pretentious.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

For the record I'm not saying I don't like Neil Gaiman, I did struggle a bit with The Sandman series but I was a young teen when I tried to read it so that probably had something to do with why it was confusing. Here's what I personally think is over-elaborate in the language department:

It just seems to be Morrison trying to add as many metaphors in as little pages as possible in my view.