"Clean Kills And other Trophies"- Cecil the lion and the ethics of "trophy hunting"

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

By now we've all heard of Cecil the lion and the "trophy hunter" Minnesota based dentist Walter Palmer who killed him.

Whilst I am aware that from time to time it may be necessary in effect to "thin the herd" of an animal population such as deer in my own country(which in the abscence of natural predators) has become a pest(there is talk of imprting wolves to "thin the herd" of deer esp in the Scottish Highlands- they tend to kill the "old, the sick and the lame"), there can be NO such justification for "hunting"(I use the phrase advisedly here) lions and other animals which are already on the "Endangered Species List".( shades of Oscar Wilde's description of the British aristocracy's fox hunting as being"the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable!")

This whole business reminds me of an old "Night Gallery" episode I once saw- "Clean Kills And Other Trophies" in which an obsessive hunter gets his comeuppance in a peculiarly ironic fashion. I am sorely tempted to wish a like fate to befall the aforementioned Mr Perkins!

Anybody think as I do?

Terry