novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By novi_homines

First of all, SPOILERS LIE AHEAD!

Nolan disagreed at first. But then Goyer insisted to include the twist.

"Man of Steel director Zack Snyder and writer David Goyer revealed on The Empire Film Podcast that producer/comic book movie Godfather Christopher Nolan initially did not approve of the controversial ending where Superman kills General Zod.

“Killing Zod was a big thing,” Goyer said. “And that was something that Chris Nolan originally said, ‘There’s no way you can do this’.... Originally, Zod got sucked into the Phantom Zone along with the others.”

When that ending proved to be unsatisfying, Goyer had to convince others to go with the twist. “We talked to some of the people at DC Comics and said, ‘Do you think there’s ever a way that Superman would kill someone?’ At first they said, ‘No way. No way.’ We said, ‘But what if he didn’t have a choice?’ Originally, Chris didn’t even want to let us try to write it. Zack and I said, ‘We think we can figure out a way that you’ll buy it.’ I came up with this idea of the heat vision and these people about to die. I wrote the scene and I gave it to Chris and he said, ‘OK, you convinced me. I buy it.’”

Source.

Thoughts? I wasn't as shocked about it as many others seem to be. But for some, that was big.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2 Icarusflies  Moderator

I thought it worked just fine.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read about this. This all goes to Snyder and Goyer.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Pretty sure the most important part (which I've seen people overlook) is Nolan saying "‘OK, you convinced me. I buy it.’

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Also since Superman has killed Zod twice before its still technically accurate from a comic stand point

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something doesn't make sense. Those who are/were against the idea of Superman killing Zod had/have strong feelings about it. I don't understand how that scene convinced Nolan to change his mind. It was a big scene but not that big. What exactly about that scene changed his mind?

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something doesn't make sense. Those who are/were against the idea of Superman killing Zod had/have strong feelings about it. I don't understand how that scene convinced Nolan to change his mind. It was a big scene but not that big. What exactly about that scene changed his mind?

That's the multi-million dollar production budget question.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yet he let Batman kill Two-Face...>_>

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: And let Ra die and kinda killed Talia and some driver.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Nolan said no to the idea of Superman killing Zod. The scene wasn't actually created or fleshed out at that point (Zod was originally supposed to go back to the Phantom Zone w/ the others). Snyder and Goyer then wrote the scene and then Nolan was sold on it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11 JediXMan  Moderator

The title is deceptive. Nolan initially did not approve. He approved of the final result, and so do I.

I applaud the ending of MoS. Took a lot of guts to go through with an ending like that. When I thought Zod just got sucked up, I was very underwhelmed. But the ending we got... I was pleased.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@sandman_ said:

@jaken7: And let Ra die and kinda killed Talia and some driver.

Also killed the guy who he thought was Ra's as well as a handful of no-name ninjas in the Temple at the beginning of the movie.

People didn't complain when Batman did it, but suddenly it's a big deal for Superman - who has killed when necessary.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Exact reason why I included that in the first line. So I doubt anyone overlooked this.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@novi_homines said:

@k4tzm4n: Exact reason why I included that in the first line. So I doubt anyone overlooked this.

I'm referring to previous threads and discussion topics surrounding Nolan's response -- not this one. As you can see, I made that post before anyone here even remarked about that part.

That said, I didn't lock this and provide the other links because... well, I'm super tired :P

And never underestimate a person's ability to overlook something :D

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@novi_homines said:

I'm referring to previous threads and discussion topics surrounding Nolan's response -- not this one. As you can see, I made that post before anyone here even remarked about that part.

I was unaware there were previous threads about this. I apologize.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He had no choice but to kill him... Except try to fly him away, use his own heat vision to counter his, or maybe freeze breath lol

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luckily the writers and director of MoS are smarter than the fanboys who complain about the movie.

I think the scene works well and I agree with Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan, it was a good move to put it in. It has a lot of good qualities:

1. It allows the film to end on a high-impact, emotional scene that shows Superman making a hard choice. He's not a god, even he has to deal with no-win scenarios... his own Kobayashi Maru.

2. It gives Superman something to think about in the next movie, allowing for character development. Having a character who's perfect is not interesting. Having one that has to make hard and maybe wrong decisions, and who is later morally conflicted about them, is.

3. Perhaps more importantly: Him killing Zod along with all the people who presumably died in the city-destroying fight scenes, opens the door for... Lex Luthor! Not the evil businessman, mad scientist, or real estate-obsessed Luthor, but the one who thinks that Superman is a menace to the world, and who wants to get rid of him because he thinks that he is the hero. And, he should be able to convince enough others to join his cause given the destruction and death.

4. It opens the door for something interesting to happen with Zod's body. Hey... a dead Kryptonian, whose body is now, presumably, in the possession of the government. Maybe we'll see a Project Cadmus, or Star Labs will come into the picture, or maybe even Lexcorp will get its hands on some of Zod's DNA... the possibilities are endless, especially when you have the whole body and not just some DNA samples.

So, yeah, I think the scene works well and makes the movie better, which is probably why Nolan was convinced to do it.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

The problem with it imo was the lack of development for Superman as a character. He kills Zod after we've seen Superman not give a damn about tackling other kryptonians through buildings and fighting in public, highly populated places. It just didn't have proper build-up for what the aftermath of the moment was supposed to be. Plus, we see like in the very next scene, it's right back to smiles and happiness. It just wasn't handled right, like much of the movie.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@willpayton:

1-3 Exactly what I thought, but 4) never thought of that, that would be very interesting.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Ugh why couldn't Nolan have directed this thing? I know it's Monday morning quarterbacking and hindsight's 20/20 B.S. to say it and yada yada, but seriously... It would've been so good!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@willpayton said:
4. It opens the door for something interesting to happen with Zod's body. Hey... a dead Kryptonian, whose body is now, presumably, in the possession of the government. Maybe we'll see a Project Cadmus, or Star Labs will come into the picture, or maybe even Lexcorp will get its hands on some of Zod's DNA... the possibilities are endless, especially when you have the whole body and not just some DNA samples.

Funny you mention that.

Remember: the Kryptonians who were sent to the Phantom Zone are still alive, and they have a sample of Kal-El's DNA (the scientist took a sample. It's how he knew about the Codex). Just an interesting plot point that could come back.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:
@willpayton said:

Funny you mention that.

Remember: the Kryptonians who were sent to the Phantom Zone are still alive, and they have a sample of Kal-El's DNA (the scientist took a sample. It's how he knew about the Codex). Just an interesting plot point that could come back.

I sure hope Faora is still alive. She was badass, would love to see her back again.

Also, what happened to the big Kryptonian... Non? Is he still on Earth?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I sure hope Faora is still alive. She was badass, would love to see her back again.

Also, what happened to the big Kryptonian... Non? Is he still on Earth?

Faora could be alive, but the scene implied she died when the colonel said "A good death is its own reward" (of course, he could have been just saying that because he died sending them away).

Non (is that his name? I don't remember) was last seen, I believe, taking Faora off the battlefield in a ship. So he could have been on the ship that was sent to the Phantom Zone.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Superman killed Zod in Superman II? We all know this is like an Elseworld story - just like in the Injustice - so why not let this one pass :(

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dbatdog

Did Superman killed Zod in Superman II? We all know this is like an Elseworld story - just like in the Injustice - so why not let this one pass :(

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a boring ending it would be if he didn't.

krunkeela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By krunkeela

Well, I enjoyed the movie, but did not have any prior knowledge on Supes, other than his appearances in JL. I mean, I believe anybody on earth would have done the same thing so idk what the problem is.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dratini1331

I didn't find it that believable. It's superman, and he couldn't keep Zod from turning his head, or just pull back and have Zod facing upwards? Why did Zod do that, rather than just fly backwards into a column to shake him off? Couldn't Supes just blocked the heat vision himself? The entire point of Superman is that he is willing to give everything, even his own life, to save someone, but he is never willing to kill.

I was fine with the ending, but it just didn't make sense the way they set it up. I feel that it's really hard to find a position where superman has to kill simply because he's so powerful and always has so many options.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zod and Harvey Dent did everything to die at the end.

Suicide by Cop, it make more sense Batman does it, since Batman is darker, but here it shows you Superman is not perfect and can fail, thing that many people hate to think.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't find it that believable. It's superman, and he couldn't keep Zod from turning his head, or just pull back and have Zod facing upwards? Why did Zod do that, rather than just fly backwards into a column to shake him off? Couldn't Supes just blocked the heat vision himself? The entire point of Superman is that he is willing to give everything, even his own life, to save someone, but he is never willing to kill.

I was fine with the ending, but it just didn't make sense the way they set it up. I feel that it's really hard to find a position where superman has to kill simply because he's so powerful and always has so many options.

Agreed.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. It gives Superman something to think about in the next movie, allowing for character development. Having a character who's perfect is not interesting. Having one that has to make hard and maybe wrong decisions, and who is later morally conflicted about them, is.

Agreed. So long as guilt, loss, vengeance and other selfish things like that aren't the primary things that drive him like they are with Batman and him having to kill Zod serves just as a VERY painful reminder that he has to be better prepared and careful for the next time he faces someone as powerful like him to avoid being caught in a no win scenario, this could be interesting. Hopefully the makers will remember that Clark's motivations were entirely self-less before that point what with him saving the school bus full of kids and those workers on that Oil Rig and will put this simple genuine drive to want to help people just because it's the right thing to do in a light where all the people that need glasses to see it can actually see it the next time around.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Anyone remember that storyline from a few years ago where Superman beat that dude to death? It was called um... Death of Superman, I think. Not sure if anyone else read it, it wasn't that big if I remember rightly. The bad guy, Doomsday, I think it was, killed Superman and Superman killed him. It's not too important a comic, so it shouldn't really be counted as Superman killing, I guess. Not like it was the best selling graphic novel of all time or anything. So this movie (which I haven't seen yet because f*ck you, Australia, and we have to wait til the 27th) is definitely the first time Superman has killed.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

\Not like it was the best selling graphic novel of all time or anything.

It wasn't. It was the best selling TRADE-PAPER BACK of all time, but not the best selling graphic novel.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: And what do many bookstores label their tradepaperbacks?

Graphic novels.

I didn't read your other post because it seemed too spoilery. Nothing personal, but I'd like to be at least a little surprised when I watch the movie. I may know the big "oh no" issue, but not what surrounds it.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: And what do many bookstores label their tradepaperbacks?

Graphic novels.

I didn't read your other post because it seemed too spoilery. Nothing personal, but I'd like to be at least a little surprised when I watch the movie. I may know the big "oh no" issue, but not what surrounds it.

Good. You shouldn't let ANYONE spoil a movie for you or alter your perceptions going in.

Though, why the balls your on comicvine though and on thread like this...is beyond me. I'm not going to lie. You should hide yourself in a grotto until the 27th comes out and stay away from sites like this if you don't want it all to be spoiled no.

No. I'm not kidding. In fact, it's actually kind of hypocritical now that I think about it. Seriously? Why the balls are you here if don't want your perceptions to be altered before going in?

Gordon Ramsey: You stupid cow!

Also, are we talking about these same book stores that label stuff that's so obviously fantasy as Sci-Fi? Yeah...somehow I don't give as many shits about what THEY decide to label stuff. The Death of Superman still ain't a TRUE graphic novel. Neither is Watchmen for that matter. Not to say they aren't good reads, just that, trade-paper backs get grouped with graphic novels because of marketing and sales and because Book Stores are so anal retentive about labeling even though trade-paper backs aren't really graphic novels.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: I didn't read any comments in this thread, merely made a post that could hopefully make some of the people going postal over the issue think for a bit.

I know most people on here and they wouldn't spoil things for me anyway.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Perezite

@perezite: I didn't read any comments in this thread, merely made a post that could hopefully make some of the people going postal over the issue think for a bit.

I know most people on here and they wouldn't spoil things for me anyway.

Good! Forget EVERYTHING you saw! EVERYTHING you know about this movie now!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

And if he saved that immediate family, what happens next? How does he save humanity from Zod? I legitimately see no other way.

And technically speaking, he is willing to kill because... you know, he has and if anything, this establishes why movie Superman will try to avoid that option at all costs in the future ;)

Anyone remember that storyline from a few years ago where Superman beat that dude to death? It was called um... Death of Superman, I think. Not sure if anyone else read it, it wasn't that big if I remember rightly. The bad guy, Doomsday, I think it was, killed Superman and Superman killed him. It's not too important a comic, so it shouldn't really be counted as Superman killing, I guess. Not like it was the best selling graphic novel of all time or anything. So this movie (which I haven't seen yet because f*ck you, Australia, and we have to wait til the 27th) is definitely the first time Superman has killed.

Man, it sucks you're going into the film having already seen so many spoilers/strong opinions from both ends. Hopefully you'll still enjoy it.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Man, it sucks you're going into the film having already seen so many spoilers/strong opinions from both ends. Hopefully you'll still enjoy it.

It's annoying, yeah, but fortunately my trained apathy means that I can hear a spoiler and be OK with it lol

It's a DC movie, so I was expecting tons of hate anyway, regardless of whether or not it deserved it. Plus I look at films as adaptations and can certainly understand why the issue causing such hubbub is present in MoS. Victims in comics are paper. Victims in films have human faces, the audience is a lot more bloodthirsty in terms of villain's comeuppances. The amount of people (largely casual moviegoers, not comic fans, to be fair) who were frustrated that Batman didn't kill the Joker in The Dark Knight was quite large.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dratini1331

@k4tzm4n: See, but here's the thing. Supes has killed before, yes, and he's even killed Zod specifically before. He was so sad about it that he actually gave himself a self imposed exile over it. Also, I don't doubt that they could've found someway to lock him up or something. He does have a (albeit 2000 year old) ship designed to put kryptonians into stasis.

I'm also not saying that I don't l see why they did it, or even that I necessarily don't like it, just that the set up was quite poor. Instead, they could've had zod shake him off, then go to Laser the family. Superman Yells, uses his heat vision on Zod, and rams him from behind, punching a hole in him. I didn't put that much thought into that, but I'm just saying that there were much better options then what they chose.

EDIT: Spelling mistakes

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@fadetoblackbolt: I can vaguely recall such a story. And wasn't there another time when Superman, Kara, and an entire city of Kryptonians, beat the guy, Doomsday you said? To death? Or something like that.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Perezite

@k4tzm4n said:

And technically speaking, he is willing to kill because... you know, he has and if anything, this establishes why movie Superman will try to avoid that option at all costs in the future ;)

So long as his simple and genuine drive to want to help people shines through a selfish reason like guilt about that and him having to kill Zod served as just a strong reminder of why he has to be better prepared so that he doesn't get put into situations like that in the future, I'll be good.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 k4tzm4n  Moderator

. Also, I don't doubt that they could've found someway to lock him up or something. He does have a (albeit 2000 year old) ship designed to put kryptonians into stasis.

The ship same ship he blasted with his heat vision and it then took a massive crash? And let's assume for a second the power does still function, how does he know how to use any of it with Jor-El gone (aside from flying, that is)? And what does he do? Knock out Zod, drag him to the ship and then pray Zod remains unconscious long enough for him to find out how to use these things if they still work? Seeing as his fight with Zod went into orbit and came crashing back down to Earth, it seems hugely unlikely Kal could simply incarcerate / incapacate him long enough to do what you suggest -- and even then, that's operating under the assumption the vehicle still has power, too. It just doesn't seem like a logical outcome to me, especially with Zod being so powerful and determined to kill innocents.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

It's a DC movie, so I was expecting tons of hate anyway, regardless of whether or not it deserved it.

Yep. Marvel's fanboys are deeply entrenched within the critics. The very same critics, I imagine, that have the BALLS to say Thor was a better movie than MoS.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@perezite said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

It's a DC movie, so I was expecting tons of hate anyway, regardless of whether or not it deserved it.

Yep. Marvel's fanboys are deeply entrenched within the critics. The very same critics, I imagine, that have the BALLS to say Thor was a better movie than MoS.

Not even just Marvel fanboys. There's a really weird trend amongst the comic fandom to just hate on DC films that will often be comparable to a Marvel film that is given huge praise.

Green Lantern, for example, was not a great movie. It was, however, not the worst thing ever, as one would assume from reading the initial comicvine reviews. People saying that it was the worst thing since Batman and Robin and alike, which was just absurd. And then Thor was lauded, even though it was only marginally better than GL (and that was solely because of the villains)

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Not even just Marvel fanboys. There's a really weird trend amongst the comic fandom to just hate on DC films that will often be comparable to a Marvel film that is given huge praise.

Green Lantern, for example, was not a great movie. It was, however, not the worst thing ever, as one would assume from reading the initial comicvine reviews. People saying that it was the worst thing since Batman and Robin and alike, which was just absurd. And then Thor was lauded, even though it was only marginally better than GL (and that was solely because of the villains)

What villains? Loki? Or that lame ass Destroyer that got whooped by Thor in one of the most anticlimactic moments I've ever seen in a superhero film and certainly one of the most disappointing.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Well I meant that Loki was good and GL's villains were weak. Parallax and Hector Hammond, at least. Sinestro was well played, but he wasn't really a villain.

Agreed on the Destroyer. That was a battle worthy of the original Ghost Rider. One move and over.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dratini1331

@k4tzm4n: Like I said, I didn't put that much thought into it. They could have easily changed other scenes around as well to make Zod live, but that's not really what I'm on about. I'm just saying, "A headlock? really? The neck snap?" That's the only real issue I have with it. Superman has very obvious outs in that situation that don't involve him killing Zod, and potentially killing anyone else in the room since the lasers really shouldn't have stopped when Zod's head turned until he was actually dead.

I'm just saying that there are other possibilities that could've made it less, well .. arbitrarily ruthless. It's like when batman killed Two Face, bats didn't just stab the guy. He didn't even really want to kill harvey, but he did it anyways. That's what I would've gone for, rather than just a straight up kill. he could've made a point of it.

Zod shakes superman off when the Man of Steel tries to save the family. Zod breaks free, says something along the lines of "This why you're weak" or "you've failed" or something, goes to kill them, then superman kills him in a random moment of desperation.

I'm just not a fan of the whole Neck snap bit.

PS- totally forgot that Zod was flying that ship lol. Like 100% forgot that it was Kal's ship that Zod stole.